PDA

View Full Version : Jeb Bush Says His Father and Reagan Would Lose Out in Today’s GOP

Shadow
06-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush today said that both Ronald Reagan and his father, George H.W. Bush, would have a hard time getting nominated by the more conservative voters in today’s Republican Party.

“Ronald Reagan would have, based on his record of finding accommodation, finding some degree of common ground, as would my dad, they would have a hard time if you define the Republican party, and I don’t, as having an orthodoxy that doesn’t allow for disagreement, doesn’t allow for finding some common ground,” Bush said, according to Buzzfeed (http://www.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeedpolitics/jeb-bush-no-place-for-father-reagan-in-today39), which reported Bush’s giving the comments at the headquarters of Bloomberg LP in New York City.
Bush, a much-discussed contender to be Mitt Romney’s running mate, said he sees the ultra-conservative and partisan standards of today’s GOP as “disturbing,” but called “this dysfunction … temporary.”

“It’s just a different environment left and right,” Bush said.
During his “dad’s time and Ronald Reagan’s time,” Bush said, they “got a lot of stuff done with a lot of bipartisan support,” according to the report, adding that Reagan “would be criticized for doing the things that he did.”

Bush railed against both sides, but blamed President Obama for much of the clashing.
“His first year could have been a year of enormous accomplishment had he focused on things where there was more common ground,” Bush said, arguing that he believed Obama made the “purely political calculation” to run a more partisan administration.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/06/jeb-bush-says-his-father-and-reagan-would-lose-out-in-todays-gop/

Kathianne
06-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush today said that both Ronald Reagan and his father, George H.W. Bush, would have a hard time getting nominated by the more conservative voters in today’s Republican Party.

“Ronald Reagan would have, based on his record of finding accommodation, finding some degree of common ground, as would my dad, they would have a hard time if you define the Republican party, and I don’t, as having an orthodoxy that doesn’t allow for disagreement, doesn’t allow for finding some common ground,” Bush said, according to Buzzfeed (http://www.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeedpolitics/jeb-bush-no-place-for-father-reagan-in-today39), which reported Bush’s giving the comments at the headquarters of Bloomberg LP in New York City.
Bush, a much-discussed contender to be Mitt Romney’s running mate, said he sees the ultra-conservative and partisan standards of today’s GOP as “disturbing,” but called “this dysfunction … temporary.”

“It’s just a different environment left and right,” Bush said.
During his “dad’s time and Ronald Reagan’s time,” Bush said, they “got a lot of stuff done with a lot of bipartisan support,” according to the report, adding that Reagan “would be criticized for doing the things that he did.”

Bush railed against both sides, but blamed President Obama for much of the clashing.
“His first year could have been a year of enormous accomplishment had he focused on things where there was more common ground,” Bush said, arguing that he believed Obama made the “purely political calculation” to run a more partisan administration.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/06/jeb-bush-says-his-father-and-reagan-would-lose-out-in-todays-gop/

41? Certainly. Reagan? Not so much. BTW, I'm more a 41 than a Reaganite.

ConHog
06-11-2012, 10:01 PM
If Bush is Romney's running mate, I'll have to pass. I have no interest in putting another Bush in the WH, at ANY capacity.

Kathianne
06-11-2012, 10:08 PM
If Bush is Romney's running mate, I'll have to pass. I have no interest in putting another Bush in the WH, at ANY capacity.

Won't happen, but I can think of several that would be worse, without the name, 'Bush.'

ConHog
06-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Won't happen, but I can think of several that would be worse, without the name, 'Bush.'

I can to, and truth be told I don't even really know that much about Jeb; just believe we've had enough Bush. :laugh2:

fj1200
06-11-2012, 10:11 PM
“Ronald Reagan would have, based on his record of finding accommodation, finding some degree of common ground, as would my dad, they would have a hard time if you define the Republican party, and I don’t, as having an orthodoxy that doesn’t allow for disagreement, doesn’t allow for finding some common ground,” Bush said,

Isn't that pretty much the knock on Romney and look who we nominated? Of course to buy into what JB said you'd have to assume that all the common ground that we got from 40 and 41 ended up being positive.

Shadow
06-11-2012, 10:11 PM

Jeb was quoted as saying the following...

"On CBS, Bush also said “under no circumstances” would he be Romney’s running mate".

So...I doubt you would need to worry about that anyway. Doubt Romney would pick him either too soon after a Bush Presidency...plus, Jeb Bush was kind of critical of Romney in this article.

Shadow
06-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Isn't that pretty much the knock on Romney and look who we nominated? Of course to buy into what JB said you'd have to assume that all the common ground that we got from 40 and 41 ended up being positive.

Politicians always think that buzz word makes the Indy's want to vote for them or listen to what they have to say. We all know they are full of crap though. I think Jeb Bush would have a harder time getting elected in the GOP with his stance on illegal immigration and higher taxes than both his father and RR.

06-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Exactly who would have won instead?

Kathianne
06-11-2012, 10:42 PM
I can to, and truth be told I don't even really know that much about Jeb; just believe we've had enough Bush. :laugh2:

So on so little, you write a definitive?

PostmodernProphet
06-12-2012, 07:31 AM
what's surprising about this comment is that Reagan and Bush were opposites, and in truth, Bush was made Reagan's VP precisely BECAUSE he was Reagan's opposite.......Bush 1 would not have passed the Tea Party test......Reagan would have......

PostmodernProphet
06-12-2012, 07:32 AM
"On CBS, Bush also said “under no circumstances” would he be Romney’s running mate".
I think 95% of us would make the same prediction with our eyes closed.......

Gaffer
06-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Jeb was quoted as saying the following...

So...I doubt you would need to worry about that anyway. Doubt Romney would pick him either too soon after a Bush Presidency...plus, Jeb Bush was kind of critical of Romney in this article.

That's the same thing his father said about Reagan in 1980.