PDA

View Full Version : Question for Teachers about Galvanic bracelets

SassyLady
06-12-2012, 02:45 AM
Kathianne and Gabby, as teachers what do you think of this?

$1.1 million-plus Gates grants: ‘Galvanic’ bracelets that measure student engagement

In the ‘you-can’t-make-up-this-stuff’ category, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is spending about $1.1 million to develop a way to physiologically measure how engaged students are by their teachers’ lessons. This involves “galvanic skin response” bracelets that kids would wear so their engagement levels could be measured.
If this tells us anything, it is that the obsession with measurement and data in school reform has reached new nutty heights.
Here’s the description of the $498,055 grant to Clemson University (http://www.gatesfoundation.org/grants-2011/pages/clemson-university-opp1049604.aspx)that was awarded in November (but that just recently became widely known by Susan Ohanian (http://susanohanian.org/outrage_fetch.php?id=1321) and Diane Ravitch (http://dianeravitch.net/)):
Purpose: to work with members of the Measuring Effective Teachers (MET) team to measure engagement physiologically with Galvanic Skin Response (GSR) bracelets which will determine the feasibility and utility of using such devices regularly in schools with students and teachers.
And here’s the description of the $621,265 grant (http://www.gatesfoundation.org/grants-2011/pages/national-center-on-time-learning-inc-opp1028976.aspx)given at the same time to the National Center on Time and Learning:
Purpose: to measure engagement physiologically with Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Galvanic Skin Response to determine correlations between each measure and develop a scale that differentiates different degrees or levels of engagement.
That’s more than $1.1 million that could have been spent on things that schools actually need, such as books, teachers, librarians, etc.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/11-million-plus-gates-grants-galvanic-bracelets-that-measure-student-engagement/2012/06/10/gJQAgAUbTV_blog.html

Kathianne
06-12-2012, 02:52 AM
Good luck with this. LOL!

Voted4Reagan
06-12-2012, 08:51 AM
wow.... Gates is an Idiot...

If he really cared he'd found a series of Charter Schools for kids to prepare them for a life in the IT/Technical field...

but he wants to give them Trinkets for Libby Science experiments...

typical...

fj1200
06-12-2012, 08:59 AM
^$100 billion says otherwise. Besides, I'd be surprised if he even knew about this but either way, it's his money.

Missileman
06-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Kathianne and Gabby, as teachers what do you think of this?

Mood rings? Seriously?

ConHog
06-12-2012, 05:42 PM
wow.... Gates is an Idiot...

If he really cared he'd found a series of Charter Schools for kids to prepare them for a life in the IT/Technical field...

but he wants to give them Trinkets for Libby Science experiments...

typical...

Gates is an idiot? LOL

Oh, and his foundation gives MILLIONS per year towards education. Our local school has an entire computer lab full of hardware and software donated by him.

logroller
06-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Gates is an idiot? LOL

Oh, and his foundation gives MILLIONS per year towards education. Our local school has an entire computer lab full of hardware and software donated by him.
No mood rings though. Still best not to look a gift horse in the mouth:thumb:

ConHog
06-12-2012, 05:48 PM
No mood rings though. Still best not to look a gift horse in the mouth:thumb:

If anyone could make such a crazy thing work, I'd bet on Gates.

logroller
06-12-2012, 05:55 PM
If anyone could make such a crazy thing work, I'd bet on Gates.

Im sure technology plays a role in streamlining data collection, but I don't think I need a bracelet to tell which kids don't pay attention. Just saying.

ConHog
06-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Im sure technology plays a role in streamlining data collection, but I don't think I need a bracelet to tell which kids don't pay attention. Just saying.

I read the article, and I don't think that is the application.

It seems to me that they are trying to use it to determine what teaching styles/tools best grab a student's attention.

Now, I'm not saying I'm sold on these things, but I can see their intentions.

logroller
06-12-2012, 06:05 PM
I read the article, and I don't think that is the application.

It seems to me that they are trying to use it to determine what teaching styles/tools best grab a student's attention.

Now, I'm not saying I'm sold on these things, but I can see their intentions.

Yea, well-- I didn't read it, the article didn't grab my attention. If only I had some device to measure such things...:coffee:

ConHog
06-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Yea, well-- I didn't read it, the article didn't grab my attention. If only I had some device to measure such things...:coffee:

Bazinga!!

Dilloduck
06-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Implant microchips in brains. Why is he being such a halfway cheap skate about this ?