PDA

View Full Version : "We don't want to offend other cultures" says principal

SassyLady
06-12-2012, 03:08 AM
Bieber's "Baby" over Greenwood's "Proud to Be An American"??? Seriously????!!!!!

The principal of a public elementary school in New York City decided to pull the song “Proud to be an American” from the school's kindergarten commencement ceremony and replace it with Justin Bieber’s “Baby” so as not to “offend other cultures."

Principal Greta Hawkins ordered a CD playing Lee Greenwood's song to be shut off at a ceremony rehearsal, staffers told the New York Post (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/school_silences_patriotic_song_xdunXcLPbE8S2rAEcZo UiP#ixzz1xVpZERrj)http://global.fncstatic.com/static/all/img/external-link.png. “We don’t want to offend other cultures,” they quoted her as explaining.

Now Congressman Michael G. Grimm (R,C-S.I/Brooklyn) is blasting Hawkins for her decision.

“I am outraged that NYC’s Department of Education is standing by the decision of PS 90’s principal to pull the song ‘Proud to be an American’ from the upcoming kindergarten ceremony, for fear of offending other cultures," he said in a statement. "The fact that the principal nixed the performance of this patriotic, G-rated song while permitting an inane and age-inappropriate Justin Bieber song about teenage romance only underscores my concern about the skewed views being forced on these students."

“The only thing offensive about any of this is the anti-American message being engrained in our youth," Grimm continued. "We all should be proud to be American and we should never ever apologize for it!"

Hawkins' move also stunned some parents.

“A lot of people fought to move to America to live freely, so that song should be sung with a whole lot of pride,” Luz Lozada, whose son, Daniel, is in kindergarten there, told the Post.

She said the song had been sung at previous school events, including her son's fifth-grade graduation last year.“Everybody applauded and whistled,” the mom said. “They gave it a standing ovation.”

Rep. Grimm said replacing Greenwood with Bieber sent a bad message to kids.

“When a Justin Bieber song is deemed an appropriate substitute for a song about patriotism and love of country, what message are we sending our youth?" he said. "It's time we stop letting our political correctness destroy our values and American traditions, and start embracing the exceptional people and cultures that make our country great. God Bless America.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/06/11/lawmaker-blasts-principal-who-replaced-god-bless-usa-with-just-bieber-baby-at/#ixzz1xZ2vIC75

Nell's Room
06-12-2012, 03:11 AM
I don't agree with the patriotic song and I hate Justin Bieber. But I would pick the patriotic song over Bieber anyday.

SassyLady
06-12-2012, 03:26 AM
I don't agree with the patriotic song and I hate Justin Bieber. But I would pick the patriotic song over Bieber anyday.

Why don't you agree with having a patriotic song?

Voted4Reagan
06-12-2012, 05:10 AM
LIB-TARDS hate America....

Gaffer
06-12-2012, 10:25 AM
If other cultures are offended they have no business being here.

I suggest the principle be sent off to another culture of his choice.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-12-2012, 10:34 AM
If other cultures are offended they have no business being here.

I suggest the principle be sent off to another culture of his choice.

I'd like to add , send him to another culture but give him a damn good kick in the ass as a boost on his way..-:laugh:

Thunderknuckles
06-12-2012, 10:37 AM
This apologist movement in America needs to end. We're far too concerned with pandering to other cultural sensitivities while disavowing our own.
Look no further than the British Empire to see where we're headed. At least it took them a few centuries to feel apologetic about their greatness. We managed to do it in about 50 years.
And soon we will also be nothing more than a shadow of what we were unless we actually begin believing again in our own exceptionalism.

DragonStryk72
06-12-2012, 10:41 AM

Well, he's not an American, so I imagine "I'm proud to be an American" doesn't really hold so much meaning for him.

Other countries, by and large, have no problem with our culture, none whatsoever. A number have issue with our overseas policies, but, um, given the number of threads we see on this very subject, I'd say the feeling is mutual. They don't feel that we should be interfering on such a huge global scale as we are. However, they have no problem with us being proud of our country, just as they are most likely proud of their own country.

Schools seem to have come to this point of paranoia that I just don't get, not just with this, but with anything that might "damage" kids (note the parentheses). There is nothing offensive in this entire song, which is precisely why schools use it.

cadet
06-12-2012, 10:49 AM
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=arial]Bieber's "Baby" over Greenwood's "Proud to Be An American"??? Seriously????!!!!!

What? what about offending us? so other countries are more important then ours? we worry so much about other countries view of us, and the dipshits never worry about what their own people think!

If you ask me, those morons in washington need to focus a little more on our country and our problems before we go out to fix other countries issues.

DragonStryk72
06-12-2012, 10:57 AM
What? what about offending us? so other countries are more important then ours? we worry so much about other countries view of us, and the dipshits never worry about what their own people think!

If you ask me, those morons in washington need to focus a little more on our country and our problems before we go out to fix other countries issues.

What makes it truly stupid to me is the fact that this was at a kindergarten graduation. How many other countries could possibly be present for this?

SassyLady
06-12-2012, 12:42 PM
The principal has now decided to pull the Bieber song but no word on reinstating the Greenwood song.

New York City Mayor Bloomberg along with Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott announced at a Monday press conference that PS 90 in Brooklyn will no longer sing Justin Bieber's "Baby" at the school’s June 20 kindergarten graduation ceremony.

School Principal Greta Hawkins raised outrage after The New York Post reported Sunday that she had decided Lee Greenwood’s patriotic “God Bless the USA," was inappropriate for the ceremony, but was allowing the pop star's flirty song about teenage romance.

However, Walcott says Hawkins has decided not to allow the Bieber song either, though he says no city officials pressured her to do so.“Now as far as Justin Bieber, I understand some of the issues people raised," he said, according to The New York Post. "It’s my understanding that song will not be part of the ‘moving up’ ceremony as well . . . I support our principals along that line.

However, the officials made no indication Hawkins planned on reinstating the Greenwood song, which Hawkins nixed because she reportedly "did not want to offend other cultures."

Her decision raised outrage among both local lawmakers and parents, including Congressman Michael G. Grimm (R,C-S.I/Brooklyn). “I am outraged that NYC’s Department of Education is standing by the decision of PS 90’s principal to pull the song ‘Proud to be an American’ from the upcoming kindergarten ceremony, for fear of offending other cultures," he said in a statement. “The only thing offensive about any of this is the anti-American message being engrained in our youth. We all should be proud to be American and we should never ever apologize for it!"

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/12/mayor-bloomberg-says-elementary-school-will-no-longer-sing-justin-bieber-song/#ixzz1xbO39B7u

Abbey Marie
06-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Well, he's not an American, so I imagine "I'm proud to be an American" doesn't really hold so much meaning for him.

Other countries, by and large, have no problem with our culture, none whatsoever. A number have issue with our overseas policies, but, um, given the number of threads we see on this very subject, I'd say the feeling is mutual. They don't feel that we should be interfering on such a huge global scale as we are. However, they have no problem with us being proud of our country, just as they are most likely proud of their own country.

Schools seem to have come to this point of paranoia that I just don't get, not just with this, but with anything that might "damage" kids (note the parentheses). There is nothing offensive in this entire song, which is precisely why schools use it.

Doesn't answer the question why he (she?) should have a problem with a patriotic American song, being sung in an American school. At the very least, it should be irrelevant to someone from another country. To "not agree with it" is ridiculous.

Noir
06-12-2012, 03:17 PM
They should't of decided against the song because of 'offence' they should of decided against it because being "proud" of something you don't achieve is stupid.

Abbey Marie
06-12-2012, 03:19 PM
The principal has now decided to pull the Bieber song but no word on reinstating the Greenwood song.

I apologize to anyone who has seen me post this before, but it seems so apropos now.

In the month following the 9/11 attacks, a (black) landlord was interviewed in an urban part of Delaware, about why she wouldn't allow a tenant in her building to fly the American flag from their window. She said she didn't allow the flag because she "didn't want to look like she was taking sides".

I ask you, what other side is there to be on, after our country is attacked by terrorists?

I hate knowing that there are people like this woman and this principal who get the protections of our armed forces, and a vote equal to mine.

cadet
06-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Screw offending other countries. I'm American, and damn proud of it!

SassyLady
06-12-2012, 03:35 PM
They should't of decided against the song because of 'offence' they should of decided against it because being "proud" of something you don't achieve is stupid.

For those who have not achieved becoming an American, you are correct ... they have nothing to be proud of. However, they do not have the right to take away my pride in being an American. If they want to sit out in the parking lot while this song is played, I'm OK with that ... just don't infringe upon my right to be proud of being an American.

God Bless The USA

by Lee Greenwood

If tomorrow all the things were gone,
I'd worked for all my life.
And I had to start again,
with just my children and my wife.I'd thank my lucky stars,
to be livin here today.
‘Cause the flag still stands for freedom,
and they can't take that away.And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.And I gladly stand up,
next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA.From the lakes of Minnesota,
to the hills of Tennessee.
Across the plains of Texas,
From sea to shining sea.From Detroit down to Houston,
and New York to L.A.
Well there's pride in every American heart,
and its time we stand and say.That I'm proud to be an American,
God bless the USA.And I'm proud to be and American,
God bless the USA.

Noir
06-12-2012, 03:43 PM
For those who have not achieved becoming an American, you are correct ... they have nothing to be proud of. However, they do not have the right to take away my pride in being an American. If they want to sit out in the parking lot while this song is played, I'm OK with that ... just don't infringe upon my right to be proud of being an American.

But why would anyone be proud of something that they had no doing in? Are people also proud of their hair colour, or the fact that they have a liver?

DragonStryk72
06-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Doesn't answer the question why he (she?) should have a problem with a patriotic American song, being sung in an American school. At the very least, it should be irrelevant to someone from another country. To "not agree with it" is ridiculous.

Um, he didn't say he had a problem. He said wouldn't have chosen it, but if put up against a Justin Bieber song, he'd take it in a heartbeat. He may just not like patriotic music of that sort in general, even if he agrees with the message of the song, and that's completely fine.

DragonStryk72
06-12-2012, 04:11 PM
But why would anyone be proud of something that they had no doing in? Are people also proud of their hair colour, or the fact that they have a liver?

I know a number of redheads who are quite proud of their hair color, just as you obviously care for your hair, given the pics. Having pride in your country's culture and history is perfectly fine.

Thunderknuckles
06-12-2012, 04:11 PM
You're just being argumentative with that. Very weak.

ConHog
06-12-2012, 04:13 PM

You DO realize that there are in fact some people who HAVE actively taken part in becoming an American, right?

That's irrelevant anyway b/c once again we in American don't have to have a reason for why we do anything we do. Want to be gay? Be gay, you owe me no explanation. Want to be e vegan? Go for it, no need to explain, but now we have to explain being proud of our country?

My question is why are all of these schools letting principles make policy decisions? That is NOT their jobs. A principle is hired to implement policy, not create it.

Noir
06-12-2012, 04:20 PM
You're just being argumentative with that. Very weak.

How's it weak? Be proud of the things you do, not the things that are done for you. Falling out of your mother in America is no achievement.

You DO realize that there are in fact some people who HAVE actively taken part in becoming an American, right?

That's irrelevant anyway b/c once again we in American don't have to have a reason for why we do anything we do. Want to be gay? Be gay, you owe me no explanation. Want to be e vegan? Go for it, no need to explain, but now we have to explain being proud of our country?

My question is why are all of these schools letting principles make policy decisions? That is NOT their jobs. A principle is hired to implement policy, not create it.

Ofcourse, and if someone wants to be proud that they became american, fine, thats not the same as being proud to be american.

and of course people have the right to feel pride in whatever they want, i just find it stupid.

ConHog
06-12-2012, 04:25 PM
How's it weak? Be proud of the things you do, not the things that are done for you. Falling out of your mother in America is no achievement.

Ofcourse, and if someone wants to be proud that they became american, fine, thats not the same as being proud to be american.

and of course people have the right to feel pride in whatever they want, i just find it stupid.

Do you watch sports? Ever proud of "your" team?

Thunderknuckles
06-12-2012, 04:28 PM

It's weak because it's playing semantics. Now if I was the pandering type that didn't want to offend your British sensibilities I would change the lyrics to say "I'm thankful to be an American"

But, since I'm not, I won't.

Noir
06-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Do you watch sports? Ever proud of "your" team?

Thats being proud of someone else's achievements, not your own non-acheivements.

ConHog
06-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Thats being proud of someone else's achievements, not your own non-acheivements.

Which is why I asked. And why you didn't answer, I suspect.

Noir
06-12-2012, 04:35 PM
It's weak because it's playing semantics. Now if I was the pandering type that didn't want to offend your British sensibilities I would change the lyrics to say "I'm thankful to be an American"

But, since I'm not, I won't.

Sorry for thinking that the meanings of words reflect the thoughts of the person saying them...or 'semantics' as you call it.

Noir
06-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Which is why I asked. And why you didn't answer, I suspect.

I am proud of other peoples achievements, i am not (and can not see why other people would be) proud of things not achieved.

DragonStryk72
06-12-2012, 04:37 PM

So, what you're saying is that your parents should not be proud of anything you've done, since it's not "their" achievement?

DragonStryk72
06-12-2012, 04:39 PM
I am proud of other peoples achievements, i am not (and can not see why other people would be) proud of things not achieved.

But that's hypocritical, Noir. How can you be proud of things you didn't achieve? Going off of your statement here

ConHog
06-12-2012, 04:42 PM
But that's hypocritical, Noir. How can you be proud of things you didn't achieve? Going off of your statement here

to be fair, one has to actually have a reason to be proud of their nationality in order to be proud of them, and well Noir obviously doesn't have that, not his fault. I mean you don't ever hear anyone singing "I'm proud to be a Brazillian.............." either. :coffee:

Noir
06-12-2012, 04:43 PM

True, i should of been more broad when i made that statement, i was thinking only of the self in terms of pride and not pride applicable to others. In any case i have resolved that - pride for others achievements is not the same as pride for your own non-achievements.

ConHog
06-12-2012, 04:45 PM
True, i should of been more broad when i made that statement, i was thinking only of the self in terms of pride and not pride applicable to others. In any case i have resolved that - pride for others achievements is not the same as pride for your own non-achievements.

Very good Noir. Now understand that when we sing "Proud to be an American" or we chant "USA USA USA" we are proud of what our COUNTRY represents and has accomplished, we aren't proud of achieving US citizenship. So , we fall exactly in line with what you are saying...........

Missileman
06-12-2012, 05:27 PM
What makes it truly stupid to me is the fact that this was at a kindergarten graduation. How many other countries could possibly be present for this?

And how many of them are not at this time American or in hopes of becoming one?

DragonStryk72
06-12-2012, 05:58 PM

And America doesn't have people? Or a number of them throughout our history to be proud of?

Dilloduck
06-12-2012, 06:47 PM

Did you completely miss the entire civil rights movement ?

sundaydriver
06-12-2012, 06:56 PM
In my school days the only commencement ceremony was when and if you graduated high school. People, except family were not celebrating us passing Kindergarten! Yeah I could finger paint, ate too much paste, and had a few "accidents" but who didn't?

Is the question of Proud to be an American removed from the ceremony for being prejudiced against other cultures ridiculous as a reason? Duh, yeah!

What the question is to me why Proud to be an American was chosen for a kindergarten ceremony to begin with when the kids themselves are really too young to understand the lyrics and would rather hear something from Disney or ugggghh, bieber which the six year old girls do love?

ConHog
06-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Did you completely miss the entire civil rights movement ?

Dude, I think Noir's grandpa was like 15 during the civil rights movement.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-12-2012, 07:50 PM
Screw offending other countries. I'm American, and damn proud of it!

Spoken like a true American. I predict trouble in your future. Just take a bunch of 'em down with you if you go down fighting! -Tyr

ConHog
06-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Spoken like a true American. I predict trouble in your future. Just take a bunch of 'em down with you if you go down fighting! -Tyr

Gee wonder why people from other countries hate us?

Abbey Marie
06-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Um, he didn't say he had a problem. He said wouldn't have chosen it, but if put up against a Justin Bieber song, he'd take it in a heartbeat. He may just not like patriotic music of that sort in general, even if he agrees with the message of the song, and that's completely fine.

Nope. This is exactly what he said:

I don't agree with the patriotic song

Abbey Marie
06-12-2012, 10:14 PM

I am proud of my daughter's achievements. Do you find that stupid, too?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Gee wonder why people from other countries hate us?

Gee, wonder why you are such a cockalorum...
Some things just are, like cowshit and horse patties..-Tyr

06-12-2012, 11:00 PM
How about we are more concerned with our own culture than worrying about offending other cultures?

SassyLady
06-12-2012, 11:25 PM

Noir, I have spent 40 years supporting America by being a productive and law abiding citizen. That is way more than just "falling out of my mother". I have also been the wife of a soldier and I would say that was work towards helping keep America free and safe .... that is an achievement.

I find it stupid that you think American pride is stupid.

Thunderknuckles
06-12-2012, 11:34 PM
The ladies win this one by a mile.
:salute:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Noir, I have spent 40 years supporting America by being a productive and law abiding citizen. That is way more than just "falling out of my mother". I have also been the wife of a soldier and I would say that was work towards helping keep America free and safe .... that is an achievement.

Bravo..--:beer:
Spoken with American pride and spirit! :clap:---Tyr

logroller
06-12-2012, 11:57 PM

My sentiments exactly. Except for the forty years, productive, law abiding and wife part... Well I guess not exactly my sentiments, but the general spirit of the post.:salute:

ConHog
06-12-2012, 11:59 PM
My sentiments exactly. Except for the forty years, productive, law abiding and wife part... Well I guess not exactly my sentiments, but the general spirit of the post.:salute:

Well i heard you were bubbas "wife" for one long weekend :poke:

logroller
06-13-2012, 12:08 AM
Well i heard you were bubbas "wife" for one long weekend :poke:

Yeah, well-- fuck prop 8. Equal rights NOW!!!:laugh2:

ConHog
06-13-2012, 12:11 AM
Yeah, well-- fuck prop 8. Equal rights NOW!!!:laugh2:

Icky

:poke:

logroller
06-13-2012, 12:31 AM
Icky

:poke:
Racist! :dunno:

ConHog
06-13-2012, 12:36 AM
Racist! :dunno:

Get to the back of the bus faggot :lol:

logroller
06-13-2012, 01:33 AM
Get to the back of the bus faggot :lol:
Love it when you talk dirty. What's a cockolorum?

Nell's Room
06-13-2012, 03:45 AM

I don't think there is any reason to. You live in the US, of course you love your country - why sing a song about it?

Nell's Room
06-13-2012, 03:46 AM

Five year olds don't even understand what the lyrics mean. They should be singing songs that 5 year olds know, not songs known, and sung by gorwnups.

fj1200
06-13-2012, 12:49 PM
I don't think there is any reason to. You live in the US, of course you love your country - why sing a song about it?

Australia - The only country with no anthem?

logroller
06-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Australia - The only country with no anthem?
Just regionally adopted drinking songs. :cheers2:

Abbey Marie
06-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Five year olds don't even understand what the lyrics mean. They should be singing songs that 5 year olds know, not songs known, and sung by gorwnups.

Everything they learn is at first not understood by them. Should we only expose them to what they already understand? Your arguments are weakening; admit you have no logical reason for hating on American patriotism. ;)

Honestly, I don't give a rat's whatever what someone from another country thinks about us being patriotic. But you of course are free to feel however you wish to feel about us. :dunno:

ConHog
06-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Everything they learn is at first not understood by them. Should we only expose them to what they already understand? Your arguments are weakening; admit you have no logical reason for hating on American patriotism. ;)

Honestly, I don't give a rat's whatever what someone from another country thinks about us being patriotic. But you of course are free to feel however you wish to feel about us. :dunno:

"sorry kid you don't understand the concept of sounding out two or more letters to form words, so no use to reading to you............."

Jesus some people just are not rational.

jimnyc
06-13-2012, 03:17 PM

We started the "Pledge of Allegiance" when I was in kindergarten, and I'm fairly sure most didn't fully understand what they were being taught. But looking back, I'm PROUD that I learned it so early and I'm sure as hell Proud to be an American!

I wonder if when Australia should win a medal at the Olympics, maybe just skip the medal ceremony? Maybe skip it as well for the UK and other countries around Noir as well, since they never achieved what the songs represent? After all, what does winning an event have to do with one countries national anthem? I highly doubt they play these tunes because the athletes are proud of their countries! Now that would just be silly.

"God save the Queen" <---- I mean really - I think some people can spend an eternity on their own pride before they worry about America.

ConHog
06-13-2012, 05:38 PM
They could have sang the Michelle Obama's version. It's nearly identical to Lee Greenwood's original version except for one line.

instead of

And I'm proud to be an American,

it has

For the first time in my adult life, I'm proud to be an American...........

SassyLady
06-13-2012, 06:12 PM

Because it makes us feel even better? I'm so sorry that you don't feel enough love for your country to sing about it.

Nell's Room
06-13-2012, 06:35 PM
We started the "Pledge of Allegiance" when I was in kindergarten, and I'm fairly sure most didn't fully understand what they were being taught. But looking back, I'm PROUD that I learned it so early and I'm sure as hell Proud to be an American!

I wonder if when Australia should win a medal at the Olympics, maybe just skip the medal ceremony? Maybe skip it as well for the UK and other countries around Noir as well, since they never achieved what the songs represent? After all, what does winning an event have to do with one countries national anthem? I highly doubt they play these tunes because the athletes are proud of their countries! Now that would just be silly.

"God save the Queen" <---- I mean really - I think some people can spend an eternity on their own pride before they worry about America.

Why do Americans need to tell the world how proud they are of their country? I would expect you to be proud, there is no need to sing songs about it, at least IMO.

Nell's Room
06-13-2012, 06:36 PM
Because it makes us feel even better? I'm so sorry that you don't feel enough love for your country to sing about it.

I do love my country, but I sure as shit am not going to stand their singing a crappy National Anthem which is not only outdated, but so boring it could cure insomnia.

ConHog
06-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Why do Americans need to tell the world how proud they are of their country? I would expect you to be proud, there is no need to sing songs about it, at least IMO.

I guess my question is, why do you have an opinion at all? Not that I care if you think it's stupid or not, just curious as to why you care what Americans sing?

jimnyc
06-13-2012, 07:05 PM

Because we feel that strongly about our great nation. Thousands and thousands have given their lives so that we can remain a great nation and many of us feel a sense of pride, apparently unknown to other countries. EVERY civilized nation has anthems and songs, why is it wrong for the USA to do so? Because we sing it louder and prouder?

I do love my country, but I sure as shit am not going to stand their singing a crappy National Anthem which is not only outdated, but so boring it could cure insomnia.

Speak for your own, our anthem is awesome! And if you were American, you would also know the song which started this thread, "Proud to be an American" is almost as awesome! Our anthem rings just as true today as the day it was written.

Go to a baseball/football/hockey - any sporting event here in the USA - it will be preceded by standing any the playing of the national anthem. People JUMP up and are happy to do so. We LOVE being proud of our great nation and all it stands for.

SassyLady
06-13-2012, 07:10 PM

Only a child, who has not contributed to the glory of their country, would say something as inane as this.

If one doesn't "need" to sing about how proud they are, what does one "need" to sing about at all? I would expect people to be in love at some point in their life.....but would never tell them not to sing about their joy about it.

And just to set the record straight ... we don't "need" to sing about it ... we enjoy the song because it reaffirms our belief in our country. Still sorry that you don't feel the same joy about your country. :unsure:

jimnyc
06-13-2012, 07:17 PM
The Aussies are famous for some of their drinking songs, and songs for their rugby team. Where Noir lives I know there is an anthem too, and I'll guarantee that there are songs for the soccer/football in his area as well as the hockey teams he likes. Nothing wrong with that, mind you, but they're just bigger into their sporting songs over there.

I just find it funny though that a handful of us are defending the pride of our national song to foreigners who likely indulge in "less important" songs. What I mean by less important is, a drinking song, one for a hockey or rugby team, or soccer, or even regular music. So us foolish Americans choose to take pride in a national song, something that brings us all together as one, for the great nation and those who have perished to give it to us. The horrors! Oh, and what those poor children would have been subjected to!:lol:

SassyLady
06-13-2012, 07:26 PM
I guess pride in one's country is passee'. No wonder the world is going to hell in a handbasket. No pride in anything worthwhile ... just pride in sports, vulgar comics and vacuous reality stars.

ConHog
06-13-2012, 07:27 PM
I guess pride in one's country is passee'. No wonder the world is going to hell in a handbasket. No pride in anything worthwhile ... just pride in sports, vulgar comics and vacuous reality stars.

woo pig sooeeii!!!!

Gaffer
06-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Here's Australia's national anthem. Kinda ho hum sounding to me. I think they should have gone with Waltzing Matilda but the lyrics would never work.

http://<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MCQLmteikdM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe> (http://<iframe width=&quot;420&quot; height=&quot;315&quot; src=&quot;http://www.youtube.com/embed/MCQLmteikdM&quot; frameborder=&quot;0&quot; allowfullscreen></iframe>)

ConHog
06-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Here's Australia's national anthem. Kinda ho hum sounding to me. I think they should have gone with Waltzing Matilda but the lyrics would never work.

http://<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MCQLmteikdM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe> (http://<iframe width=&quot;420&quot; height=&quot;315&quot; src=&quot;http://www.youtube.com/embed/MCQLmteikdM&quot; frameborder=&quot;0&quot; allowfullscreen></iframe>)

LOL @ waltzing matildas

Abbey Marie
06-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Because we feel that strongly about our great nation. Thousands and thousands have given their lives so that we can remain a great nation and many of us feel a sense of pride, apparently unknown to other countries. EVERY civilized nation has anthems and songs, why is it wrong for the USA to do so? Because we sing it louder and prouder?

Speak for your own, our anthem is awesome! And if you were American, you would also know the song which started this thread, "Proud to be an American" is almost as awesome! Our anthem rings just as true today as the day it was written.

Go to a baseball/football/hockey - any sporting event here in the USA - it will be preceded by standing any the playing of the national anthem. People JUMP up and are happy to do so. We LOVE being proud of our great nation and all it stands for.

It's all the rage now to look down on American spirit and pride. Especially among the young. And those in the White House. We see that phenomenon right on this board. I really couldn't care less what they think about it.

ConHog
06-14-2012, 02:23 PM
It's all the rage now to look down on American spirit and pride. Especially among the young. And those in the White House. We see that phenomenon right on this board. I really couldn't care less what they think about it.

Beyond a general question of their motivation to care, gotta agree.Who gives a shit if they think we're weird for being proud of our country.

Kathianne
06-14-2012, 02:28 PM

I understand how one can feel the 'loss' of what thinks were behaviors in the past, but I think you are painting with too broad a brush regarding our young people. I know when I was in high school, the norm was to hate government, especially the war and all connections with it. Nixon was still president and Vietnam was winding down to beyond ugly.

Today I see in very similar high schools, much more pride in the country, though much disillusionment about the Hope & Change they thought they were going to have by now. There's both cynicism and practicality I didn't have at similar ages. I know for a fact, many more-both boys & girls are signing up for military service, KNOWING their chances of entering dangerous areas is very high. I don't know how you get more patriotic than that?

Abbey Marie
06-14-2012, 02:32 PM
I understand how one can feel the 'loss' of what thinks were behaviors in the past, but I think you are painting with too broad a brush regarding our young people. I know when I was in high school, the norm was to hate government, especially the war and all connections with it. Nixon was still president and Vietnam was winding down to beyond ugly.

Today I see in very similar high schools, much more pride in the country, though much disillusionment about the Hope & Change they thought they were going to have by now. There's both cynicism and practicality I didn't have at similar ages. I know for a fact, many more-both boys & girls are signing up for military service, KNOWING their chances of entering dangerous areas is very high. I don't know how you get more patriotic than that?

Oh, I wasn't clear- I meant the young in other countries. I am glad to hear what you've said, and I agree.

Kathianne
06-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Oh, I wasn't clear- I meant the young in other countries. I am glad to hear what you've said, and I agree.

Oh, hear ya! I guess you mean those young 'cousins' of ours that speak the common language that separates us?