PDA

View Full Version : My sister is back in emergency room

SassyLady
06-13-2012, 06:59 PM
As most of you know, I have a sister that has been battling breast cancer for the last nine years. The last time she ended up in hospital was from a heart attack and renal failure caused by the cancer center trying to do too many MRI's in same day to qualify her for new trials. She didn't make it into that trial, but the doctor got permission to use the meds on her anyway.

After a year on those meds, they have found that the cancer is outsmarting them because they are finding more tumors. The lates are tumors in her lungs. Last August she had cyber knife radiation on a tumor in one of her lungs. There is now another tumor on the other lung and it's constricting her bronchial tube so they were debating whether to use the cyber knife (3 treatments over 3 day period) again or just do the normal, five days a week, four weeks radiation. The problem is that the cyber knife will only get the "top" portion of the tumor and she will still have to do chemo to try and reduce the rest of it.

Well, today was the procedure to put in the "seeds" for the cyber knife and they nicked her lung on the way out and it collapsed. She's in emergency room now and they are going to keep her for a few days and make sure she doesn't get pneumonia.

All of your prayers have helped in the past and we would appreciate any good energy you can send our way.

Thanks!

For anyone interested in cyberknife:

http://www.cyberknife.com/

ConHog
06-13-2012, 07:00 PM
In with the prayers Sassy.

jimnyc
06-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Send her all of our best wishes, Sassy. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed and keep her in our prayers.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-13-2012, 07:12 PM
As most of you know, I have a sister that has been battling breast cancer for the last nine years. The last time she ended up in hospital was from a heart attack and renal failure caused by the cancer center trying to do too many MRI's in same day to qualify her for new trials. She didn't make it into that trial, but the doctor got permission to use the meds on her anyway.

After a year on those meds, they have found that the cancer is outsmarting them because they are finding more tumors. The lates are tumors in her lungs. Last August she had cyber knife radiation on a tumor in one of her lungs. There is now another tumor on the other lung and it's constricting her bronchial tube so they were debating whether to use the cyber knife (3 treatments over 3 day period) again or just do the normal, five days a week, four weeks radiation. The problem is that the cyber knife will only get the "top" portion of the tumor and she will still have to do chemo to try and reduce the rest of it.

Well, today was the procedure to put in the "seeds" for the cyber knife and they nicked her lung on the way out and it collapsed. She's in emergency room now and they are going to keep her for a few days and make sure she doesn't get pneumonia.

All of your prayers have helped in the past and we would appreciate any good energy you can send our way.

Thanks!

I am sorry to hear of such bad news about your sister. Prayers work and I've seen the results in my own family recently. I'll add her to mine. No need to give me her name, God already knows.-Tyr

Kathianne
06-13-2012, 10:30 PM
She's on my list. You hang in there. Prayers for you too!

06-13-2012, 10:49 PM
Im sorry to hear about your sister. Ill keep her in my prayers.

logroller
06-13-2012, 10:54 PM
I'm sorry to hear that SL. How's her spirit?

SassyLady
06-13-2012, 11:25 PM
I'm sorry to hear that SL. How's her spirit?

She's a fighter.

CSM
06-14-2012, 06:16 AM
Sorry to hear that, Sassy. I'll keep you and her in my prayers. (Yeah, I do pray ... so what?)

Abbey Marie
06-14-2012, 03:42 PM
She's a fighter.

Must run in the family. :salute:

I will pray for her, Sassy.

Nell's Room
06-15-2012, 04:31 AM
I am thinking of your sister, Sassy, and I wish her a safe and speedy recovery.

aboutime
06-15-2012, 03:08 PM
Please know. Strangers you will never meet, or know are keeping your sister in their prayers.

As a Cancer survivor myself. Positive thoughts, prayers, and the love of her family will come together to bring a new day.
God Bless.

red states rule
06-15-2012, 03:32 PM

Thanks!

as always Sassy, your sister and entire family are in my thoughts and prayers

Trigg
06-16-2012, 05:58 PM
my thoughts are with you

SassyLady
06-17-2012, 12:43 AM
Sister went home today. Exhausted and trying to rest up so she can do the cyber knife treatments. We will hear Monday what the plan is.

Kathianne
06-17-2012, 01:10 AM
Sister went home today. Exhausted and trying to rest up so she can do the cyber knife treatments. We will hear Monday what the plan is.

Prayers continue, but I'm certain she's more comfortable at home, no?

red states rule
06-17-2012, 05:06 AM

I am still talking to the Man Upstairs on your behalf Sassy and you sister

God bless

SassyLady
06-17-2012, 10:55 PM
Prayers continue, but I'm certain she's more comfortable at home, no?

She's more comfortable, but my other sister and I are worried...because she has been fighting so hard all her life she overlooks some important things to tell us and the doctors ... like the level of pain she is experiencing. Anyone else would call it a level 20+ but she says "I'm fine". So, we don't catch things as soon as we should. She had pneumonia last year and ran a temp over 102 for three days and didn't tell anyone. This was not too long after she had the first cyber knife .... the doctors said they should have been alerted.

So, we worry that she has experienced pain and oddball symptoms for so long that she just can't tell when something is really serious.

Anyway, thanks again everyone for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers.

logroller
06-17-2012, 11:40 PM
She's more comfortable, but my other sister and I are worried...because she has been fighting so hard all her life she overlooks some important things to tell us and the doctors ... like the level of pain she is experiencing. Anyone else would call it a level 20+ but she says "I'm fine". So, we don't catch things as soon as we should. She had pneumonia last year and ran a temp over 102 for three days and didn't tell anyone. This was not too long after she had the first cyber knife .... the doctors said they should have been alerted.

So, we worry that she has experienced pain and oddball symptoms for so long that she just can't tell when something is really serious.

A curious downside to being tough. I'll remember this anecdote when my wife accuses me of being a wimp about my pain... Which I am.

red states rule
06-18-2012, 02:12 AM

The thoughts and prayers contine Sassy

logroller
06-18-2012, 02:51 AM
What's a cyber knife?

SassyLady
06-18-2012, 03:36 AM
What's a cyber knife?

SassyLady
07-08-2012, 12:37 AM
Update:

Sis is finished with cyber-knife treatments. Saw her heart doctor on Monday and he told her that if she does anymore chemo she will die. He also wants her to stop the Herceptin .... I guess he doesn't know that she is going to die from the cancer anyway, but who knows, maybe her heart will give out first.

Cancer doctor has always said .... "here's what we are going to do, and we are starting on XYZ". This time he is telling my sister "it is your decision what you want to do".

So, now we are back to looking at her bucket list. If she decides to not do chemo or herceptin, then she won't be tied down to that cancer center and might be able to come up here and stay with me for awhile. She wants to go for a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon and I'd like to make that happen. She also wants to go visit the Catalina Islands. We tried to do that a few years ago, but she was on her Hepatitis regime and we just couldn't make it happen.

So, it looks like she might have less than six months ... either her heart will give out or the cancer will spread faster than it already is.

I don't think it's really 'real' for me yet....because she's always troopered through and given herself another 1-2 years. Doesn't look like it's going to happen this time.

Prayers are still wonderful and appreciated....I'm praying that she will finally get some rest and and peace in her life.

Kathianne
07-08-2012, 12:42 AM
Update:

Sis is finished with cyber-knife treatments. Saw her heart doctor on Monday and he told her that if she does anymore chemo she will die. He also wants her to stop the Herceptin .... I guess he doesn't know that she is going to die from the cancer anyway, but who knows, maybe her heart will give out first.

Cancer doctor has always said .... "here's what we are going to do, and we are starting on XYZ". This time he is telling my sister "it is your decision what you want to do".

So, now we are back to looking at her bucket list. If she decides to not do chemo or herceptin, then she won't be tied down to that cancer center and might be able to come up here and stay with me for awhile. She wants to go for a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon and I'd like to make that happen. She also wants to go visit the Catalina Islands. We tried to do that a few years ago, but she was on her Hepatitis regime and we just couldn't make it happen.

So, it looks like she might have less than six months ... either her heart will give out or the cancer will spread faster than it already is.

I don't think it's really 'real' for me yet....because she's always troopered through and given herself another 1-2 years. Doesn't look like it's going to happen this time.

Prayers are still wonderful and appreciated....I'm praying that she will finally get some rest and and peace in her life.

Prayers continue of course. I hope that whatever time she has left, are of a good nature. The helicopter ride would be awesome if she's well enough. I'm so sorry for her and your family. ((((hugs))))

red states rule
07-08-2012, 05:36 AM
Update:

You and your family are still in my thoughts and prayers Sassy

logroller
07-09-2012, 06:31 AM
Hey sassy, wishing you, your family and sis the best through all this.

Your mentioning of the grand Canyon reminded me of quote by Bertrand Russell
A truer image of the world, I think, is obtained by picturing things as entering into the stream of time from an eternal world outside, than from a view which regards time as the devouring tyrant of all that is.
Read more athttp://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/b/bertrand_russell.html#LcqmKsl4iPKesDC3.99