PDA

View Full Version : Baby burned in microwave leaves hospital........

nevadamedic
05-22-2007, 08:35 PM
GALVESTON, Texas (AP) -- A baby girl was released from a hospital 11 days after police say she was burned in a motel microwave oven.

The infant's mother blamed the devil for what happened, saying Satan compelled her husband to put the baby in the microwave. The devil "saw my husband as a threat" because of his efforts to become a preacher, Eva Marie Mauldin, 20, told Houston television station KHOU.

"He would never do anything to hurt her," she said. "Satan was working through his weaknesses."

Mauldin said that her husband had a mental disability and that her efforts to get him help have failed.

Doctors at the Shriners Burn Hospital performed at least two skin grafts on 2-month-old Ana Marie Mauldin, who suffered burns on her face and hand May 10. She was released Monday and placed in foster care, and a custody hearing was scheduled later this week.

The baby's father, Joshua Mauldin, 19, was arraigned Tuesday on a charge of felony injury to a child and was jailed on $250,000 bond. If found guilty, he could face 99 years in prison.

Mauldin, of Warren, Arkansas, went to Galveston with his family this month to be a preacher, authorities said. When he first called 911, he said the baby had been burned when he tripped while carrying a pot of hot water in their motel room, police said.

But during a bail reduction hearing, a police detective testified that Mauldin also put the baby in a refrigerator and a hotel room safe.

Left alone in the room, he "became agitated," Galveston Police Detective Holly Johnson said. Then, he struck the baby in the groin on a hotel bed before putting her in the appliances and safe, she said.

He later told police he put his daughter in the microwave because he was under stress. Police said the infant was in the oven for 10 to 20 seconds while her mother and grandmother were away. Investigators found human tissue in the microwave that matched the burns on the left side of the girl's face and her left hand.

Baby Ana Marie did not suffer any internal injuries, said Gwen Carter, spokeswoman for Child Protective Services. She said the child is now "doing really well, making eye contact and was responsive to hospital staff when they held her."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/22/baby.in.microwave.ap/index.html

There is a picture of the father posted there. This whole family is sick and need's some serious help. I sure hope the parents and other members of this family lose custody of the baby. The mother is even saying it wasn't the dad's fault and that it is the Devil's. I think that baby would be in serious danger if it goes back to any member of that family.

nevadamedic
05-23-2007, 12:42 AM
Do you think if they find him mentally ill that he should be given a lighter sentance?

JLO
05-23-2007, 03:14 AM
Do you think if they find him mentally ill that he should be given a lighter sentance?

They should put him in a permanent mental institution! If that is the case that is where he belongs!

JLO
05-23-2007, 03:16 AM
I am appalled when I hear stories like these! These people should not be considered PARENTS! Even if they are mentally ill, it is no excuse to do this to a poor inocent child.

nevadamedic
05-23-2007, 03:20 AM
I am appalled when I hear stories like these! These people should not be considered PARENTS! Even if they are mentally ill, it is no excuse to do this to a poor inocent child.

Yea but they are saying it was the Devil, which is no excuse, just proof that they are insane.:dance:

-Cp
05-23-2007, 10:10 AM

Once again, we have the perfect candidates for my Patented "Pillow Treatment"..... the world would be better off w/o those people around...

Doniston
05-23-2007, 10:21 AM
What I find almost unbelievable is that the woman is fighting to get her baby back, but at the same time, insists on keeping the father

but it does appear that this guy thinks he is being tested by God--- In that he has also placed the Girl in a Safe and a refrigerator.. Seems there is a similar story in the Bible.

nevadamedic
05-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Once again, we have the perfect candidates for my Patented "Pillow Treatment"..... the world would be better off w/o those people around...

It's just sickening, I sure hope neither parents get custody of this poor child because im sure even worse things will happen.

-Cp
05-23-2007, 11:41 AM
Thankfully this is in Texas - I'm hoping that'll lead to a speedy trial and conviction w/ the maximum penalty...

nevadamedic
05-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Thankfully this is in Texas - I'm hoping that'll lead to a speedy trial and conviction w/ the maximum penalty...

I doubt it. I bet the defense attorney uses stall tactcs to try to keep postponeing the trial to wear the down the District Attorney so the can have better chances at getting a pretty good deal.

Hagbard Celine
05-23-2007, 11:55 AM
It's a shame that this tragedy forced the baby into unemployment :(