PDA

View Full Version : Logroller challenges RsR

logroller
06-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Apparently rsr thinks I need a lesson in economics; so I'd like him to be one to give it to me.
The topic: government created corporations being funded by private enterprise; who then pass on part of the cost in the form of fees-- does or doesn't constitute a tax from an economic POV.

OCA
06-16-2012, 06:19 PM
Apparently rsr thinks I need a lesson in economics; so I'd like him to be one to give it to me.
The topic: government created corporations being funded by private enterprise; who then pass on part of the cost in the form of fees-- does or doesn't constitute a tax from an economic POV.

Don't hold your breath, he'll run faster than Carl Lewis from this.

jimnyc
06-16-2012, 06:27 PM
I'd love to see any form of economic debate between the 2 of you.

Debate question/topic
Amount of post per member
How long to completion
Who goes first

The regular "rules" apply, as in debate rules - http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?7445-New-Debate-Section

One of you let me know if you come to an agreement!

Oh, and OCA is already tossed from this thread. I'd rather it be free of that crap, whether coming to debate terms or the debate itself.

ConHog
06-16-2012, 07:24 PM
would love to see RSR in a one on one .

logroller
06-16-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm good with the topic as per the OP-- Derived straight from the thread that rsr stated I need an economics 101 class, accompanied by neg rep. I find it personally insulting to my intellectual character; and like our forefathers would have challenged by dual; I challenge a debate. If he's a gentleman, he'll accept.

jimnyc
06-16-2012, 08:00 PM
I'm good with the topic as per the OP-- Derived straight from the thread that rsr stated I need an economics 101 class, accompanied by neg rep. I find it personally insulting to my intellectual character; and like our forefathers would have challenged by dual; I challenge a debate. If he's a gentleman, he'll accept.

I would agree, if one would go that far in making a claim, they should be willing to back up what they are saying. I know RSR has a decent amount of knowledge about economics, but unsure of just how much. Log, I wouldn't be surprised to find out he has a degree in the subject to go along with his degree in 'public' speaking/writing! I think it would be interesting, and hopefully gentlemanly. Maybe we all learn from the debate, and regardless of who "wins", the both of you come out as better friends as well.

ConHog
06-16-2012, 08:10 PM
I would agree, if one would go that far in making a claim, they should be willing to back up what they are saying. I know RSR has a decent amount of knowledge about economics, but unsure of just how much. Log, I wouldn't be surprised to find out he has a degree in the subject to go along with his degree in 'public' speaking/writing! I think it would be interesting, and hopefully gentlemanly. Maybe we all learn from the debate, and regardless of who "wins", the both of you come out as better friends as well.

Absolutely agreed. What kind of person implies or outright states that they are smarter than another person and then goes to any cost to avoid a one on one debate to prove it.

logroller
06-17-2012, 01:02 AM
Absolutely agreed. What kind of person implies or outright states that they are smarter than another person and then goes to any cost to avoid a one on one debate to prove it.

With all due respect to rsr; he hasn't claimed to be smarter than I. Nor gone to any extreme to avoid a debate with me. He merely insulted me, by suggesting my understanding of basic economics was flawed; which is a statement I take offense to. If he should so choose, he can validate this assertion. If he refrains, for whatever reason, then I shall consider his comment to be nothing more than hot air. Either way, I respect RSR and treat him as gentleman; I expect the same in return.

red states rule
06-17-2012, 04:31 AM
LR, let me say first my comment was not an isnsult to you. For someone who was written many logical posts I was shocked when you wrote fees are not taxes. Only politicans and members of the liberal media say that

Also, in regards to you comment on the neg rep - who gave who the first red square? Yopu should have told the entire story on that

If you want this you have it. You go ahead and set the rules, number of posts, and work out the details with Jim

logroller
06-17-2012, 04:40 AM
LR, let me say first my comment was not an isnsult to you. For someone who was written many logical posts I was shocked when you wrote fees are not taxes. Only politicans and members of the liberal media say that

Also, in regards to you comment on the neg rep - who gave who the first red square? Yopu should have told the entire story on that

If you want this you have it. You go ahead and set the rules, number of posts, and work out the details with Jim
Will do. Looking forward to it.

red states rule
06-17-2012, 05:11 AM

You are an expert on that CH

Modesty and humility are not your strong points

I have never posted I am smarter then others. Perhpas I have mre common sense then others, but that is far as I have ever gone

red states rule
06-17-2012, 05:13 AM
Will do. Looking forward to it.

Fair enough LR you got it

Please be advised next week I will be loging 12 hour days so be patient and allow time for me to respond to your posts

It may not be to the weekend before I get back to you

ConHog
06-17-2012, 08:45 AM
You are an expert on that CH

Modesty and humility are not your strong points

I have never posted I am smarter then others. Perhpas I have mre common sense then others, but that is far as I have ever gone

I quite agree. Im jot a midest person but that isnt quite the aame as saying someone else.is stupid. And i dont believe ive ever done that.

Further if you look at the big picture i wasnt even talking about you anyway

Also. I have never declined a challenge

And lastly. Keep you flames where they belong eh

red states rule
06-17-2012, 12:16 PM
I quite agree. Im jot a midest person but that isnt quite the aame as saying someone else.is stupid. And i dont believe ive ever done that.

No flame - just the facts and the truth

Truth hurt CH?

red states rule
06-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Logroller, if my comment regarding you taking Economics 101 was taken by you as an insult I apologize

It was not ment to be an insult but no matter what the government calls a tax - it is a tax

logroller
06-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Logroller, if my comment regarding you taking Economics 101 was taken by you as an insult I apologize

It was not ment to be an insult but no matter what the government calls a tax - it is a tax

I accept your apology. The difference between a tax and fee, however, shall be debated. You wanna lead off?

ConHog
06-17-2012, 10:17 PM

logroller
06-18-2012, 02:19 AM
We're working out the details. Any delay was my fault; I spent the day with the kids.

red states rule
06-18-2012, 02:20 AM
I accept your apology. The difference between a tax and fee, however, shall be debated. You wanna lead off?

I think Jim has to set up the thread in the one on one forum (this keeps vermon like CH from derailing the thread)

You may lead off sir when the Jim has the thread set up

jimnyc
06-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Fyi - http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?35602-Is-it-a-fee-or-a-tax-or-is-the-fee-a-tax

ConHog
06-18-2012, 11:44 AM
I think Jim has to set up the thread in the one on one forum (this keeps vermon like CH from derailing the thread)

You may lead off sir when the Jim has the thread set up

You misspelled vermin , AND you put it in the wrong forum.

Toro
06-18-2012, 07:20 PM

Your statement isn't clear. Could you please clarify?

logroller
06-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Your statement isn't clear. Could you please clarify?
That's what the debate is meant to accomplish. I'll post tonight...stay tuned.

red states rule
06-19-2012, 02:28 AM

Oh the Speeling Police are out!!! Please go back and review your spelling over the last 48 hours - Kat would have failed your ass

As far as the wrong forum I did not know Jim started a Pond Scum forum where you could post and others could respond

In the meantime please do me and most of the posters here and just STFU

red states rule
06-19-2012, 02:28 AM
That's what the debate is meant to accomplish. I'll post tonight...stay tuned.

Looking forward to it sir

I logged 12.5 hrs yesterday so perhaps I could coast a little later in the week

ConHog
06-24-2012, 07:58 PM
Oh the Speeling Police are out!!! Please go back and review your spelling over the last 48 hours - Kat would have failed your ass

As far as the wrong forum I did not know Jim started a Pond Scum forum where you could post and others could respond

In the meantime please do me and most of the posters here and just STFU

Why am I pond scum? Please tell me that. I get it, you don't like the fact I don't agree with your politics, but pond scum? Grow up dude.

ConHog
06-26-2012, 06:33 PM
So, is this one called for mercy?

logroller
06-26-2012, 06:37 PM

I'll give it till tomorrow....maybe tonight.

jimnyc
06-26-2012, 06:40 PM

I'll give it till tomorrow....maybe tonight.

Was wondering myself, not looking good. I know RSR said he was going to be working some crazy hours, but I haven't seen him online posting since this debate started. He usually would at least pop in, even if for a post or 2. Hopefully things are alright with him. But yeah, almost time to claim a W via forfeit for The Log.

Hey Log - isn't this the 2nd debate in a row where things stalled and the opposing member went AWOL? :lol:

ConHog
06-26-2012, 06:43 PM
Was wondering myself, not looking good. I know RSR said he was going to be working some crazy hours, but I haven't seen him online posting since this debate started. He usually would at least pop in, even if for a post or 2. Hopefully things are alright with him. But yeah, almost time to claim a W via forfeit for The Log.

Hey Log - isn't this the 2nd debate in a row where things stalled and the opposing member went AWOL? :lol:

Log, and I are discussing topics for a one on one. We'd prefer something where we could each debate the opposite of what we believe, but having a hard time choosing a topic.

jimnyc
06-26-2012, 06:52 PM
Log, and I are discussing topics for a one on one. We'd prefer something where we could each debate the opposite of what we believe, but having a hard time choosing a topic.

Finding a topic should be fairly easy if you aren't concerned about being on the 'right' side, as all that would matter then is debating skills. Go down through the current events and politics sections for the past 90 days, there has got to be at least one topic you guys can agree to debate.

How about something with the TSA - where Log can argue that it's a necessity, and for the government side - and you can argue the unconstitutional side?

ConHog
06-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Finding a topic should be fairly easy if you aren't concerned about being on the 'right' side, as all that would matter then is debating skills. Go down through the current events and politics sections for the past 90 days, there has got to be at least one topic you guys can agree to debate.

How about something with the TSA - where Log can argue that it's a necessity, and for the government side - and you can argue the unconstitutional side?
We aren't interested in right or wrong, and actually your TSA suggestion is a pretty good one. I guess neither oof us had thought about Log and I disagreeing on that subject.

logroller
06-26-2012, 09:15 PM

don't stick a fork in it yet, I've got one more post.

ConHog
06-26-2012, 09:16 PM
don't stick a fork in it yet, I've got one more post.

going to debate yourself? LOL

logroller
06-26-2012, 09:25 PM
going to debate yourself? LOL
Gives some creedence to the title of master debater.:lol:

red states rule
06-27-2012, 03:24 PM

Oh CH I do beg for your forgivness that I did ot post in amore timely fashion to suite you. Unlike you, your Assholiness, I have to work for a living - and I have been logging near 60 hour weeks - and I am as independently wealthy as you claim to be

Gaffer
06-30-2012, 02:02 PM
If the money, in any way, goes to the govt it's a tax.

aboutime
06-30-2012, 03:48 PM

Any money. U.S. Currency, that does not remain in your paycheck, bank account, or business accounts that are counted as NET, and PROFITS...IS...a TAX.

April 15th of each Year for most. Is just a day when some think they are getting something back from the govt. But the reality is. The IRS, and CONGRESS decide when, and how much of YOUR MONEY to give back. So they can tax it again the following year.

logroller
06-30-2012, 03:56 PM

So if I buy a military surplus M1 Garand, that's a tax?

ConHog
06-30-2012, 03:58 PM

So a speeding ticket, or any other fine that is a result of criminal behavior, is a tax?

jimnyc
06-30-2012, 04:08 PM

So if I buy a military surplus M1 Garand, that's a tax?

I think he was referring to your debate, not that any monies in the world going to them!

ConHog
06-30-2012, 04:11 PM
I think he was referring to your debate, not that any monies in the world going to them!

Certainly hope so.

logroller
06-30-2012, 04:50 PM

He said 'in any way'; that's quite absolute. How else is that to be understood; other than, no matter the conditions. Just wanted a clarification because, obviously, there are times where the money goes to government but it's not a tax.

jimnyc
06-30-2012, 04:59 PM
He said 'in any way'; that's quite absolute. How else is that to be understood; other than, no matter the conditions. Just wanted a clarification because, obviously, there are times where the money goes to government but it's not a tax.

I could certainly be wrong, but...

I take that to mean, if THE money (the fee/tax being discussed in the debate), goes to the government in any way, that it's a tax. I don't think it meant money collected from military surplus or speeding citations. This is a thread about your debate, so I'm under the impression he's speaking of that money.

Gaffer
06-30-2012, 05:51 PM
I could certainly be wrong, but...

I take that to mean, if THE money (the fee/tax being discussed in the debate), goes to the government in any way, that it's a tax. I don't think it meant money collected from military surplus or speeding citations. This is a thread about your debate, so I'm under the impression he's speaking of that money.

Jim, you're the only one who seems to understand what I was talking about.

Log, buying and selling surplus is not a tax.

Con, a ticket or fine IS a tax. Whether it's paid to the city, state or fed govt. It's a demand for money using legal means to obtain it.

logroller
06-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Jim, you're the only one who seems to understand what I was talking about.

Log, buying and selling surplus is not a tax.

Con, a ticket or fine IS a tax. Whether it's paid to the city, state or fed govt. It's a demand for money using legal means to obtain it.
Well technically, the money goes to a govt corporation, just like the post office. Is postage a tax? How about a subway token? Is that a tax? If you're paying for a service or product, like mil surplus, You say that's not a tax. Where's the line drawn?

Kathianne
07-01-2012, 12:04 AM
So a speeding ticket, or any other fine that is a result of criminal behavior, is a tax?

Yes.

Kathianne
07-01-2012, 12:06 AM

In some ways it could be construed as such. CH's question about speeding and other fines due to one's behavior. If the money is going to some government 'pot' of money, it's a tax. Certainly not everyone will contribute or be asked to, their behavior or lack of being caught precludes such.

Kathianne
07-01-2012, 12:08 AM
Well technically, the money goes to a govt corporation, just like the post office. Is postage a tax? How about a subway token? Is that a tax? If you're paying for a service or product, like mil surplus, You say that's not a tax. Where's the line drawn?

Actually Stamps have always been considered a tax, indeed one of the causes of Revolutionary War. Stamps on mail, liquor, tobacco...

logroller
07-01-2012, 12:35 AM
Actually Stamps have always been considered a tax, indeed one of the causes of Revolutionary War. Stamps on mail, liquor, tobacco...
Stamps are just proof of payment. A tax stamp is proof of a tax paid, but that doesn't mean all stamps are taxes. Postage stamps could be taxes, but i dont think they are. If I pay a dollar postage, and it only costs 85 cents to send that letter, that's a tax because I have paid in excess of the cost of providing me the service. Whereas if I pay a dollar and it costs a dollar; it's just a fee for services rendered.

Kathianne
07-01-2012, 12:43 AM
Stamps are just proof of payment. A tax stamp is proof of a tax paid, but that doesn't mean all stamps are taxes. Postage stamps could be taxes, but i dont think they are. If I pay a dollar postage, and it only costs 85 cents to send that letter, that's a tax because I have paid in excess of the cost of providing me the service. Whereas if I pay a dollar and it costs a dollar; it's just a fee for services rendered.

The stamp is there until 'proof' it's paid. Be it a postmark or breaking the seal. That's a government requirement, thus for the benefit of it. Thus a tax. Effectiveness of costs has never been a requirement of government.

logroller
07-01-2012, 09:26 AM
The stamp is there until 'proof' it's paid. Be it a postmark or breaking the seal. That's a government requirement, thus for the benefit of it. Thus a tax. Effectiveness of costs has never been a requirement of government.
I smoke, so understand tax stamps or "breaking the seal." But when I buy postage stamps, i prepay for a service. While i was a fedex, customers did the same thing, prepaid stamps. Now, when buy a book of stamps, (i like the forever stamps,btw), are you saying they aren't paid for until i use them; ie point of service tax? That akea no sense to me; I'm confused. Postage seems no more a tax than buying a military surplus item is. I'll accept they both are, but I see no difference between the two.

Kathianne
07-01-2012, 04:39 PM
I smoke, so understand tax stamps or "breaking the seal." But when I buy postage stamps, i prepay for a service. While i was a fedex, customers did the same thing, prepaid stamps. Now, when buy a book of stamps, (i like the forever stamps,btw), are you saying they aren't paid for until i use them; ie point of service tax? That akea no sense to me; I'm confused. Postage seems no more a tax than buying a military surplus item is. I'll accept they both are, but I see no difference between the two.

Nope, it's a tax that is much like any other use based tax. You pay for the stamp, use it or not. Same as if you buy a pack of cigs, then quit, you don't get the money back from the stamp.

I too use the 'forever stamps', considering how quickly the price keeps increasing, just smart. However if you buy it today and lose them, too bad, got to buy them again.

logroller
07-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Nope, it's a tax that is much like any other use based tax. You pay for the stamp, use it or not. Same as if you buy a pack of cigs, then quit, you don't get the money back from the stamp.

I too use the 'forever stamps', considering how quickly the price keeps increasing, just smart. However if you buy it today and lose them, too bad, got to buy them again.
If thats the standard, then fiat currency is a tax. I still don't see why my example of buying a mil surplus item isn't a tax. The money goes to govt, I receive something in return and the price is not set by the market eq, but by government fiat. Seems like a tax then.

Roo
07-01-2012, 05:37 PM

I don't think anyone who typed the fllowing response should EVER talk about anyone else's spelling.

aboutime
07-01-2012, 07:34 PM
I don't think anyone who typed the fllowing response should EVER talk about anyone else's spelling.

I was kinda gettin' used to that kinda Bushism kinda talk above. Like Missrespelling errrs.
Gotta be really careful with da use of da English language here. It's so much fun, having someone blast you, while at the same time....Day do da same tings.
Anyhow Roo.
I see you are just having fun here too!
It's always easier to smile...than Frown, and be such a stick in the mud all the time too!

logroller
07-01-2012, 11:28 PM
Ooops, just realized whn I typed 'fee' I just misspelled 'tax' .

logroller
07-02-2012, 02:05 AM
I'm bowing out of this one; calling it a fee or tax doesn't seem to matter.

red states rule
07-02-2012, 04:55 AM
I'm bowing out of this one; calling it a fee or tax doesn't seem to matter.

So be it. I was ready to respond to your last post but if withdraw - OK

logroller
07-02-2012, 05:47 AM
So be it. I was ready to respond to your last post but if withdraw - OK
By all means do, you've only one post to my two--tis only fair:2up:

jimnyc
07-02-2012, 07:13 AM
It seems to be 2 debate posts by Log to 1 by RSR. I was to understand it would be 3x apiece. If done, please let me know. If you guys would like to continue, let me know that too and I will move these short posts out of the way so that you can continue...

red states rule
07-02-2012, 07:25 AM
LR, in regards to your example of the USPS, let me ask you when was the last time you wrote a letter or paid a bill via te US mail?

I know in the last 12 months I have mailed perhaps 2 letters

I pay my bills on-line and save time and money

The reason the USSP is going broke is due to 1) their services are outdated due to the internet; and 2) the union goons are bankruptcing them with overpriced benefits.

The taxpayers will have to bail them ou as the unon goons refuse to reduce the workforce despite their lower demand for the Postal Service. A Goldoen Rule for the government should be if someone can find the product/service in the Yellow Pages - the government should not offer the product/service as well

The stamps you buy is a tax as it is money taken from you and ends up with the government

Speeding tickets are the same. I remember Jim getting a ticket in PA and he was upset over the taxes imposed on the ticket. Politicans are finding new ways to pick our pocket by calling the taxes something other then a tax

Obamacare is the latest example

Being a loyal Wal Mart customer I would love to see the people who run Wal Mart actually run the government. Perhaps then we the broke taxpayers would get to keep more of our moeny and the government would go on a real and serious financial diet. If something is not working it would be done away with at once and the losses would stop

I was thinking abut all the taxes that we pay and found this gem. Here is a list of taxes that did not exist 100 years ago. Amazing how government comes up with new ways to pick our pockets

The inheritance tax.
Accounts Receivable Tax
Building Permit Tax
CDL license Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Dog License Tax
Excise Taxes
Federal Income Tax
Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel Permit Tax
Gasoline Tax (currently 44.75 cents per gallon)
Gross Receipts Tax
Hunting License Tax
Inheritance Tax
Inventory Tax
IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
Liquor Tax
Luxury Taxes
Marriage License Tax
Medicare Tax
Personal Property Tax
Property Tax
Real Estate Tax
Service Charge T ax
Social Security Tax
Road Usage Tax
Sales Tax
Recreational Vehicle Tax
School Tax
State Income Tax
State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
Telephone Federal Excise Tax
Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax
Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Taxes
Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge=2 0Tax
Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax
Telephone State and Local Tax
Telephone Usage Charge Tax
Utility Taxes
Vehicle License Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales Tax
Watercraft Registration Tax
Well Permit Tax
Workers Compensation Tax

http://www.nationpains.com/blog/2010/03/taxes-that-did-not-exist-100-years-ago/

Of course add this list to all the "fees" service charges, and user fees and the list of taxes imposed on us is long and amazing

Roo
07-02-2012, 08:31 AM
I was kinda gettin' used to that kinda Bushism kinda talk above. Like Missrespelling errrs.
Gotta be really careful with da use of da English language here. It's so much fun, having someone blast you, while at the same time....Day do da same tings.
Anyhow Roo.
I see you are just having fun here too!
It's always easier to smile...than Frown, and be such a stick in the mud all the time too!

Hell I am typing challenged, and I am fairly sure my fingers are dyslexic.

red states rule
07-02-2012, 08:33 AM
Hell I am typing challenged, and I am fairly sure my fingers are dyslexic.

You are known in the PC world as "Technologically Challenged"

Roo
07-02-2012, 08:58 AM
You are known in the PC world as "Technologically Challenged"

As long as my pleasure parts work it's all good.

red states rule
07-02-2012, 09:01 AM
As long as my pleasure parts work it's all good.

You would be known in PC circles as "Romantically Automated"

Roo
07-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Just show me a female elbow and I am ready....Sassy's Avatars give me a brain aneurysm.

red states rule
07-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Just show me a female elbow and I am ready....Sassy's Avatars give me a brain aneurysm.

Heal boy - Heal. Stay!!!

darin
07-02-2012, 11:01 AM
would love to see RSR in a one on one .

That's the gayest reply I've ever read.

:)

jimnyc
07-02-2012, 11:08 AM
I moved the replies that weren't technically related to the debate into this thread. I'll wait final word from RSR and Logroller, but is this debate dead in the water now?

red states rule
07-02-2012, 11:09 AM
I moved the replies that weren't technically related to the debate into this thread. I'll wait final word from RSR and Logroller, but is this debate dead in the water now?

I responded to LR's last post - if he wants to continue I have no objections

aboutime
07-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Heal boy - Heal. Stay!!!

That reminded me of something Steven Wright...the soft-spoken, quiet comdian once said.

He said he named his dog "STAY", and he would call him, and the dog would STOP instantly.

And one of my favorites. He said his dog's name was SPOT. One day he spilled Spot Remover on the dog, and hasn't seen him since.

ConHog
07-02-2012, 01:06 PM
That's the gayest reply I've ever read.

:)

You're gay for even going there. :lol:

logroller
07-02-2012, 03:23 PM

I responded to LR's last post - if he wants to continue I have no objections

It probably is a tax from an economic perspective, i just want someone to tell me why-- using economic terms---not just, it is.

red states rule
07-02-2012, 03:27 PM
It probably is a tax from an economic perspective, i just want someone to tell me why-- using economic terms---not just, it is.

It is easy LR, anytime any monemy is taken from the citizens by the government it is a tax and it drains money from the private sector and feeds it to the public sector. It slows economic growth and punishes achievement

and the definition of "tax"
a sum of money demanded by a government for its support or for specific facilities or services, levied upon incomes, property, sales, etc.
2. a burdensome charge, obligation, duty, or demand.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tax

Kathianne
07-02-2012, 03:54 PM

An economist I'm not, heck other than trying to understand articles related to economics, not much interested going into the subject more deeply. However, definitions are always a good place to start, no?

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/taxation.html

taxation<object style="visibility: visible;" data="/aplayer_top.swf" id="speaker" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="17" width="17">

</object>Definition

A means (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/mean.html) by which governments (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/government.html) finance their expenditure (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/expenditure.html) by imposing charges (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/charge.html) on citizens (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/citizen.html) and corporate entities (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/corporate-entity.html).
Governments use taxation to encourage or discourage certain economic decisions (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/decision.html). For example, reduction (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/reduction.html) in taxable personal (or household) income by the amount (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/amount.html) paid as interest (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/interest.html) on home mortgage loans (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/mortgage-loan.html) results (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/result.html) in greater construction (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/construction.html) activity (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/activity.html), and generates more jobs (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/job.html). See also taxation principles (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/taxation-principles.html).

fee<object style="visibility: visible;" data="/aplayer_top.swf" id="speaker" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="17" width="17">

</object>Definitions (2)

1. Remuneration (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/remuneration.html): In contracts (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/contract.html) based on cost (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/on-cost.html) reimbursement (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/reimbursement.html) pricing, the 'fee' represents (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/represent.html) an amount (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/amount.html) beyond the initial cost estimates (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/cost-estimate.html), and reflects factors (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/factor.html) such as the risks (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/risk.html) involved. Fee is usually subject to (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/subject-to.html) statutory (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/statutory.html) limitations (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/limitation.html), and may be either fixed (as in a cost plus fixed fee contract (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/cost-plus-fixed-fee-CPFF-contract.html)) or allowed to vary within a specified range (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/range.html) (as in a cost plus incentive fee contract (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/cost-plus-incentive-fee-CPIF-contract.html)).
2. Land (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/land.html) law (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/law.html): Estate (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/estate.html) capable of being transferred. See also fee simple absolute in possession (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/fee-simple-absolute-in-possession.html) and fee tail (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/fee-tail.html).

stamp tax

stamp duty (http://businessdictionary.com/definition/stamp-duty.html)
stamped security (http://businessdictionary.com/definition/stamped-security.html)

Definition

Ad valorem tax (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/ad-valorem-tax.html) or flat tax (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/flat-tax.html) levied on certain legal (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/legal.html) transactions (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/transaction.html) such as the transfer (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/transfer.html) (conveyance (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/conveyance.html)) of a property (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/property.html) (building (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/building.html), copyright (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/copyright.html), land (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/land.html), patent (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/patent.html), securities (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/securities.html)). Documents (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/documents.html) evidencing such transactions are recorded and become legally enforceable only if they are stamped to show that the proper amount (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/amount.html) of tax (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/tax.html) has been paid. Also called stamp duty (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/stamp-duty.html).

Notice LR that your deduction regarding 'flat tax' in our discussion was merited?

logroller
07-02-2012, 03:59 PM
It is easy LR, anytime any monemy is taken from the citizens by the government it is a tax and it drains money from the private sector and feeds it to the public sector. It slows economic growth and punishes achievement

and the definition of "tax"
a sum of money demanded by a government for its support or for specific facilities or services, levied upon incomes, property, sales, etc.
2. a burdensome charge, obligation, duty, or demand.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tax

I was told its an economic thing...bad and all that. I've yet to See it explained how...just, it is. I know the answer I think, but I would like someone else to explain in case I'm wrong.

red states rule
07-02-2012, 04:03 PM
I was told its an economic thing...bad and all that. I've yet to See it explained how...just, it is. I know the answer I think, but I would like someone else to explain in case I'm wrong.

LR, anytime you tax somehting - anything - you are taking moeny out of the private sector. The folks have less money to spend. You have less disposable income

Therefore, the folks spend less and there is less economic activity

2/3 of the US economy is consumer spending which also means (sadly) the remaining 13 is government spending

I would love to see a 90/10 split with consumers leading the way

darin
07-02-2012, 08:12 PM
What the hell is anyone even talking about anymore? Holy shit guys.

it's a thread of "quote somebody else's arguments!"

logroller
07-02-2012, 09:14 PM
What the hell is anyone even talking about anymore? Holy shit guys.

it's a thread of "quote somebody else's arguments!"

^ what he said. :coffee: