PDA

View Full Version : Puppies paired with panhandlers

red states rule
06-17-2012, 05:59 AM
Only a liberal could come up with such a stupid idea to spend taxpayer moeny on that will accomplish nothing

Another "feel good" program that pisses thru taxpayer money

A new program in San Francisco will pair carefully selected dogs from shelters with panhandlers in an effort to steer the latter away from asking for money on the streets and keep the animals from being euthanized.The temporary guardians (the words "pet" and "owner" are frowned upon in San Francisco) will receive weekly stipends of $50 to $75 and must agree to jettison their cardboard signs in the pilot project believed to be the first of its kind in the country.

The program, scheduled to start in August, is called WOOF, short for Wonderful Opportunities for Occupants and Fidos. The animals will eventually be placed in permanent homes.

"I can't make panhandling go away," said Bevan Dufty, one of the plan's architects. "But I can make a better offer."

Dufty is San Francisco's director of HOPE — Housing Opportunity, Partnerships and Engagement. A former county supervisor, he proposed that the city hire life coaches for its transit drivers when he ran unsuccessfully for mayor in 2011.

<!-- sphereit end --> His latest plan addresses two serious problems in a dog-loving city that prides itself on creativity and heart. In a tourism bureau survey released last year, 25% of visitors polled said their biggest complaint about the city was encountering the homeless people and panhandlers — eclipsing responses about the weather and traffic.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/06/puppies-and-panhandlers.html

ConHog
06-17-2012, 09:34 AM
Maybe they can get a bundle . Pjone. Internet. Tv and puppy.

But we ALL bundle.

On phone atm so cant include a picture

gabosaurus
06-17-2012, 11:06 PM
I say we give money to panhandlers and dogs and euthanize extreme right-wing idiots who never have anything original to say. :cool:

ConHog
06-17-2012, 11:08 PM
I say we give money to panhandlers and dogs and euthanize extreme right-wing idiots who never have anything original to say. :cool:

easy now

Dilloduck
06-17-2012, 11:10 PM

It's got a great chance of passing out your way.

red states rule
06-18-2012, 02:26 AM

I do need to get yout hat scratching post and perhaps a some beef jerky to chew on while posting

red states rule
06-18-2012, 02:29 AM
Ayone think this program will work, and that the homeless will use the money to care for the dog and not buy booze and drugs with the money?