PDA

View Full Version : Boardrooms are the new battlefield for gay rights

Shadow
06-19-2012, 08:40 AM
Kind of an interesting article...that I have seen at my place of employment. Employees are prohibited from political speech or anything deemed offensive. Even ask employees to put disclaimers on their facbeook pages regarding the company not being responsible or sharing your views. Yet company's very own news letters support gay activism...and try to sway folks to their views.

Board members come under fire from shareholders all the time over their fiscal responsibilities but now there's a new battle brewing in the boardroom: Social issues like gay rights.
When activist investor Carl Icahn recently took on Chesapeake Energy over allegations of misuse of company funds (http://www.debatepolicy.com/#) by CEO and Chairman Aubrey McClendon, the company acted quickly, announcing McClendon would be stripped of his chairman title and agreeing to replace four board members.
How the board manages a company’s money is of direct interest to shareholders. But how important is it for a board member to agree with a company’s policies on social issues if they are going to sit on the board? Will a contradiction have broader implications for clients, customers, and shareholders of both organizations?

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/19/12286562-boardrooms-are-the-new-battlefield-for-gay-rights?lite

Dilloduck
06-19-2012, 08:46 AM
Kind of an interesting article...that I have seen at my place of employment. Employees are prohibited from political speech or anything deemed offensive. Even ask employees to put disclaimers on their facbeook pages regarding the company not being responsible or sharing your views. Yet company's very own news letters support gay activism...and try to sway folks to their views.

Board members come under fire from shareholders all the time over their fiscal responsibilities but now there's a new battle brewing in the boardroom: Social issues like gay rights.
When activist investor Carl Icahn recently took on Chesapeake Energy over allegations of misuse of company funds (http://www.debatepolicy.com/#) by CEO and Chairman Aubrey McClendon, the company acted quickly, announcing McClendon would be stripped of his chairman title and agreeing to replace four board members.
How the board manages a company’s money is of direct interest to shareholders. But how important is it for a board member to agree with a company’s policies on social issues if they are going to sit on the board? Will a contradiction have broader implications for clients, customers, and shareholders of both organizations?

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/19/12286562-boardrooms-are-the-new-battlefield-for-gay-rights?lite

I've seen this one coming too. Gay friendly businesses hiring more gays. There are a lot of ways to make sure certain people have jobs.

Shadow
06-19-2012, 09:11 AM
I've seen this one coming too. Gay friendly businesses hiring more gays. There are a lot of ways to make sure certain people have jobs.

I thought this was interesting...

So is this the new tactic for getting their way? I find it interesting that this article goes on to brow beat the Boy Scouts Of America trying to get them to come around to their point of view...because activists have taken spots on their board.

Thunderknuckles
06-19-2012, 10:33 AM
And here I thought businesses were just profit making entities. Apparently they are arbiters of social justice as well.

fj1200
06-19-2012, 10:39 AM
And here I thought businesses were just profit making entities. Apparently they are arbiters of social justice as well.

The moral might be don't piss off market share with excess disposable income.

KarlMarx
06-19-2012, 10:44 AM
I've been predicting this for quite some time.. I think gay affirmative action is coming... I wonder how people will feel about gay rights when their jobs are eliminated in favor of a gay person.

Shadow
06-19-2012, 10:52 AM

So does this mean once the 'right' people situate themselves as board members and CEO's...suddenly big business won't be deemed evil anymore?

Another interesting quote...

"Corporate America has found that it's a smart business decision to stand with the majority of Americans who support gay and lesbian couples," said Rich Ferraro, vice president of communications at GLAAD. "Companies that actively support anti-gay causes are being met with vocal disapproval from the gay community as well as their friends and families, while brands like JC Penney, Johnson & Johnson and Gap are building loyal consumer bases simply by being inclusive.”

Shadow
06-19-2012, 10:55 AM
I've been predicting this for quite some time.. I think gay affirmative action is coming... I wonder how people will feel about gay rights when their jobs are eliminated in favor of a gay person.

Yep...already here. I have several friends (and relatives) that are gay/lesbian...they already network (and have for some time) and know the gay friendly companies etc...

fj1200
06-19-2012, 11:00 AM
Networking =/= Affirmative Action.

Shadow
06-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Networking =/= Affirmative Action.

Not what I said.

I said they network...and through this... find out what companies/businesses are 'gay friendly'. Meaning places that will hire specifically gay employees.

Thunderknuckles
06-19-2012, 11:05 AM
""Corporate America has found that it's a smart business decision to stand with the majority of Americans who support gay and lesbian couples," said Rich Ferraro, vice president of communications at GLAAD. "Companies that actively support anti-gay causes are being met with vocal disapproval from the gay community as well as their friends and families, while brands like JC Penney, Johnson & Johnson and Gap are building loyal consumer bases simply by being inclusive.”"

That is funniest thing I have heard in a while. Does that guy actually believe the steaming pile of poo coming out of his mouth?
This is just not reality. Building a loyal customer base has nothing to do with being inclusive and everything to do with value and quality of service.
When was the last time anyone (who isn't gay) decided to shop at one store over another simply because one shop supports gay rights?
You could have gay men hanging in effigy outside your front door but if you have a good 60" LED HDTV on sale for $500, I'm walking in the door.

fj1200
06-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Not what I said.

I said they network...and through this... find out what companies/businesses are 'gay friendly'. Meaning places that will hire specifically gay employees.

You agreed with a post about AA and then proceeded to bring up networking. Nevertheless, everyone should network so why can't they talk about the gay-friendly companies.

Shadow
06-19-2012, 11:13 AM
You agreed with a post about AA and then proceeded to bring up networking. Nevertheless, everyone should network so why can't they talk about the gay-friendly companies.

Didn't mean to confuse you. I basically was saying there are companies that WILL already hire gays over other employees. I did not say there was anything wrong with networking...just that it is and has been a tool used to spread the word.

Shadow
06-19-2012, 11:19 AM
""Corporate America has found that it's a smart business decision to stand with the majority of Americans who support gay and lesbian couples," said Rich Ferraro, vice president of communications at GLAAD. "Companies that actively support anti-gay causes are being met with vocal disapproval from the gay community as well as their friends and families, while brands like JC Penney, Johnson & Johnson and Gap are building loyal consumer bases simply by being inclusive.”"

That is funniest thing I have heard in a while. Does that guy actually believe the steaming pile of poo coming out of his mouth?
This is just not reality. Building a loyal customer base has nothing to do with being inclusive and everything to do with value and quality of service.
When was the last time anyone (who isn't gay) decided to shop at one store over another simply because one shop supports gay rights?
You could have gay men hanging in effigy outside your front door but if you have a good 60" LED HDTV on sale for $500, I'm walking in the door.

I guess maybe the gay community only shops at stores they deem PC? I know... it doesn't effect me one way or another either... when I am interested in something and can only find what I am looking for at a store that doesn't have activist views. I think I am pretty much in the 'majority' on that also.

fj1200
06-19-2012, 11:19 AM
Didn't mean to confuse you.

I wasn't confused, I understood perfectly what you posted.

Shadow
06-19-2012, 11:25 AM
I wasn't confused, I understood perfectly what you posted.

Oh...and I never stated that they couldn't talk about gay friendly companies either. So, apparently you didn't understand what I posted.

ConHog
06-19-2012, 11:27 AM
who cares who companies hire ? Should we shrink government by passing further laws that state that companies can't hire gays?

Shadow
06-19-2012, 11:29 AM
who cares who companies hire ? Should we shrink government by passing further laws that state that companies can't hire gays?

Once again...missing the point. Shocking. :laugh:

fj1200
06-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Oh...and I never stated that they couldn't talk about gay friendly companies either. So, apparently you didn't understand what I posted.

No. Thank you for your concern though.

Shadow
06-19-2012, 11:31 AM
No. Thank you for your concern though.

Well...when putting words in my mouth you batted zero. So...glad I could help.

fj1200
06-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Well...when putting words in my mouth you batted zero. So...glad I could help.

Yeah, I put words in your mouth.

I think gay affirmative action is coming...

Yep...already here.

:rolleyes:

ConHog
06-19-2012, 11:37 AM

you're a hall monitor :rolleyes:

Shadow
06-19-2012, 11:39 AM

Nice edit job :laugh:

Cherry picking does not make your case stronger.Whatever case that may be....other than to play word games.

Shadow
06-19-2012, 11:41 AM
you're a hall monitor :rolleyes:

I thought Mr Passive Aggressive 'high road' was ignoring me. Oops...caught in another lie. :laugh:

fj1200
06-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Nice edit job :laugh:

Cherry picking does not make your case stronger.Whatever case that may be....other than to play word games.

Anyway. :rolleyes:

Shadow
06-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Anyway. :rolleyes:

:bye1:

fj1200
06-19-2012, 11:48 AM
:bye1:
:lame2:

Shadow
06-19-2012, 11:50 AM
:lame2:

Well...did you have anything else to say...add...ask? Or are were just planning on dismissing me again?

fj1200
06-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Well...did you have anything else to say...add...ask? Or are were just planning on dismissing me again?

What more can I add/ask when you deny your own words?

Shadow
06-19-2012, 11:59 AM
What more can I add/ask when you deny your own words?

I already explained my words,which I even said were confusing. Do you want to discuss THAT or not? Or... do you still just want to try to get me to admit to your interpretation of the conversation?

fj1200
06-19-2012, 12:47 PM
I already explained my words,which I even said were confusing. Do you want to discuss THAT or not? Or... do you still just want to try to get me to admit to your interpretation of the conversation?

You said I put words in your mouth; I did not. You said gays are hiring gays at gay-friendly firms; I agree with that. I understand exactly the points you were trying to make.

Shadow
06-19-2012, 12:56 PM
You said I put words in your mouth; I did not. You said gays are hiring gays at gay-friendly firms; I agree with that. I understand exactly the points you were trying to make.

What points am I trying to make?

fj1200
06-19-2012, 01:19 PM

Shadow
06-19-2012, 01:40 PM

Just trying to make sure you are correct when you say you understand 'exactly' what points I was making. You took issue with something,obviously,but since you won't say what...I will just conclude it was my choice of words then.:beer:

fj1200
06-19-2012, 01:50 PM
You took issue with something,obviously,but since you won't say what...

Do we need to relive post #9 again?

Dilloduck
06-19-2012, 01:51 PM
And what's the deal with Walmart Managers ? The last three I have frequented have ALL had gay managers.

Shadow
06-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Do we need to relive post #9 again?

I already addressed that. How much clearer can I make it other than saying...that's not what I said. And later...Sorry, for confusing you?

Dilloduck
06-19-2012, 01:56 PM

I think hiring those with the same political views is already here too.
Networking=good old boy system

fj1200
06-19-2012, 02:14 PM
I already addressed that. How much clearer can I make it other than saying...that's not what I said. And later...Sorry, for confusing you?

Yeah, why you keep bringing it up I don't know but I made no point about anything else you posted.

fj1200
06-19-2012, 02:15 PM
I think hiring those with the same political views is already here too.
Networking=good old boy system

So... you're against networking?

Shadow
06-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Yeah, why you keep bringing it up I don't know but I made no point about anything else you posted.

Well...you seem to have your needle stuck there in error. So, make your case. Or am I supposed to guess?

fj1200
06-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Well...you seem to have your needle stuck there in error. So, make your case. Or am I supposed to guess?

:facepalm99:

Shadow
06-19-2012, 02:27 PM
:facepalm99:

So...apparently I am supposed to guess? Okay...

You think I was calling AA and Networking the same thing. And I wasn't (which I clarified). And now that you understand that fact...you want to move on.

Okay...me too. :thumb:

fj1200
06-19-2012, 02:33 PM
So...apparently I am supposed to guess? Okay...

You think I was calling AA and Networking the same thing. And I wasn't (which I clarified). And now that you understand that fact...you want to move on.

Okay...me too. :thumb:

:clap: Geez, you don't have to guess at anything. And FWIW, I'm glad you clarified.

Shadow
06-19-2012, 02:39 PM
:clap: Geez, you don't have to guess at anything. And FWIW, I'm glad you clarified.

Right...it's not like I already addressed this too...in post number 34 or anything. ;)

fj1200
06-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Right...it's not like I already addressed this too...in post number 34 or anything. ;)

OK, you win. I don't even really know what you're talking about anymore.

Shadow
06-19-2012, 04:02 PM
OK, you win. I don't even really know what you're talking about anymore.

I never knew what you were talking about...so we are even.:beer:

Dilloduck
06-19-2012, 08:51 PM
It was about homosexuals taking over the world.

Shadow
06-19-2012, 08:56 PM
It was about homosexuals taking over the world.

:evillaughsign:

Dilloduck
06-19-2012, 09:04 PM
:evillaughsign:

You Too ?? no way--tell me it ain't so.