PDA

View Full Version : Julian Assange reportedly seeks asylum in Ecuador

jimnyc
06-19-2012, 04:25 PM
I don't care who supports his efforts to leak material that some feel should be public. He placed many lives in danger with some of his info and was very reckless. And while claiming his innocence on the sex charges, I'm not sold on that either. If it was fake, how come he keeps getting denied and the ball keeps on rolling? He's allowed his day in court but would rather run. Hopefully he'll get time for running as well.

Officials in Ecuador are claiming that WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has asked them for political asylum in their country, a request they are reportedly considering.

"Ecuador is studying and analyzing the request," Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino told reporters Tuesday in Quito, according to Reuters.

Assange currently faces extradition charges to Sweden over alleged sex crimes. Assange has denied the allegations. He is not currently charged with any crime, but officials in Sweden say they want to question him over the allegations.

The BBC reports that on June 14, the British Supreme Court rejected Assange's request to reopen his appeal against extradition to Sweden. The extradition proceedings are scheduled to begin on June 28.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/wikileaks-founder-julian-assange-reportedly-seeks-asylum-ecuador-192338226.html

ConHog
06-20-2012, 11:08 PM
We should offer him asylum

In fort Leavenworth or hell his choice

Nell's Room
06-20-2012, 11:15 PM
Jim, he didn't rape anyone. It was consensual, and these girls never objected until afterward - they meet with him the morning after and seemed quite cosy. Its a ridiculous law over there , 'sex by surprise' which means that he didn't use a condom. That, apparently, equals rape.

I think Assange is a hero and that the world needed to know what America has done, and there has been no danger toward the US at all. I wish Australia would offer him some help, but our idiotic government is dragging its heels.

jimnyc
06-21-2012, 10:07 AM
Jim, he didn't rape anyone. It was consensual, and these girls never objected until afterward - they meet with him the morning after and seemed quite cosy. Its a ridiculous law over there , 'sex by surprise' which means that he didn't use a condom. That, apparently, equals rape.

I think Assange is a hero and that the world needed to know what America has done, and there has been no danger toward the US at all. I wish Australia would offer him some help, but our idiotic government is dragging its heels.

No danger towards the US? The documents he revealed had the names of people in covert operations in foreign lands. He put the lives of many at risk. I know Australians really don't care about "law" and the lives of others, but here in America we take that kind of stuff more seriously. Recklessly releasing such documents, which were known to be stolen, should land him in prison.

As for the rape, I'm glad YOU know the entire truth and were there. They should just rescind the warrant now then, since they have a witness. :rolleyes:

jimnyc
06-21-2012, 10:08 AM
No danger towards the US? The documents he revealed had the names of people in covert operations in foreign lands. He put the lives of many at risk. I know Australians really don't care about "law" and the lives of others, but here in America we take that kid of stuff more seriously. Recklessly releasing such documents, which were known to be stolen, should land him in prison.

As for the rape, I'm glad YOU know the entire truth and were there. They should just rescind the warrant now then, since they have a witness. :rolleyes:

^ Why do I bother when this one never bothers to reply to anything?

ConHog
06-21-2012, 10:15 AM
No danger towards the US? The documents he revealed had the names of people in covert operations in foreign lands. He put the lives of many at risk. I know Australians really don't care about "law" and the lives of others, but here in America we take that kid of stuff more seriously. Recklessly releasing such documents, which were known to be stolen, should land him in prison.

Not to say I couldn't care about the rape, but none of our business. Now , arguing that he didn't put Americans in danger? That obviously is incorrect. I would like to see us go after him with both barrels for that.

jimnyc
06-21-2012, 10:18 AM
Not to say I couldn't care about the rape, but none of our business. Now , arguing that he didn't put Americans in danger? That obviously is incorrect. I would like to see us go after him with both barrels for that.

Agree on the rape, but he is still "running" from the charges instead of facing them, if he is in fact innocent and has the law on his side. And as far as America, juts the fact that it was highly illegal is enough, regardless of what others feel of his beliefs and ideals. But putting out such sensitive information was the kicker. He doesn't get a free pass because he tried to "out the bad guys".

ConHog
06-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Agree on the rape, but he is still "running" from the charges instead of facing them, if he is in fact innocent and has the law on his side. And as far as America, juts the fact that it was highly illegal is enough, regardless of what others feel of his beliefs and ideals. But putting out such sensitive information was the kicker. He doesn't get a free pass because he tried to "out the bad guys".

Hey , I myself believe the guy deserves a visit from his friendly neighborhood SEAL team. US courts don't care HOW you came into their jurisdiction once you're there.

revelarts
06-21-2012, 10:36 AM
lil dejavu here folks
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oRA7WT66RIQ?version=3&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="360" width="640"></object>

Even corporate spys know that assagne is innocent of sex charges, that the gov'ts (plural) are USING it as a TOOL to get him.
Jim sometimes gov'ts do stuff like that and law is not fair.

I'm still waiting for the Valerie Plane convictions Jim, what happened there Opps everyone who "exposed" undercover CIA people where never convicted, or got slaps on the wrist. those evil so in SO'sss. And they didn't even have to ask for asylum. wheres the justice when people who acutual WORKED for the U.S. gov't and live here aren't tried as traitors for exposing names of live agents. But some foriegner we gotta chase down over bs sex charges.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?34411-Corporate-Spys-above-the-law-But-wiki-leaks-is-evil&highlight=turks

revelarts
06-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Hey , I myself believe the guy deserves a visit from his friendly neighborhood SEAL team. US courts don't care HOW you came into their jurisdiction once you're there.

more killing without a trial great. that's the American way.
God bless America

:facepalm99:

Thunderknuckles
06-21-2012, 10:41 AM

As Jim has already stated, those leaks put people's lives at risk so you are very wrong on the danger part.

As for your country dragging it's heels, you would do well to remember our two nations are Allies. It would be a monumentally foolish misstep for Gillard to strain our relationship for a man like Assange. A truly strategic blunder.

jimnyc
06-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Even corporate spys know that assagne is innocent of sex charges, that the gov'ts (plural) are USING it as a TOOL to get him.
Jim sometimes gov'ts do stuff like that and law is not fair.

I'm still waiting for the Valerie Plane convictions Jim, what happened there Opps everyone who "exposed" undercover CIA people where never convicted, or got slaps on the wrist. those evil so in SO'sss. And they didn't even have to ask for asylum. wheres the justice when people who acutual WORKED for the U.S. gov't and live here aren't tried as traitors for exposing names of live agents. But some foriegner we gotta chase down over bs sex charges.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?34411-Corporate-Spys-above-the-law-But-wiki-leaks-is-evil&highlight=turks

Kinda like Obama blaming Bush for everything, Plame has nothing to do with Assange.

As for "getting him" - he wouldn't have to worry if he didn't break the law and release national security information and other sensitive documents. He KNEW what he was doing and I have ZERO sympathy for him.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

revelarts
06-21-2012, 10:52 AM

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Don't do the crime if you don't have friends in high places to CYA,
I got ya.

jimnyc
06-21-2012, 10:53 AM
Don't do the crime if you don't have friends in high places to CYA,
I got ya.

So because others may have gotten away with crimes, you feel Assange should? I can see you bitching about others with given proof, but to absolve Assange because others got away with crimes in the past is stupid.

mundame
06-21-2012, 11:03 AM
I sort of enjoy the (dyed) white hair angelic look of this self-promoter.

I don't think this is a big issue. The guy published a gazumpteen USA national secrets on the Internet: what did he expect was going to happen? OF COURSE the rape charges are bogus; he's lucky it wasn't a SEAL team, really. But they were certainly going to make his life hell for years, and that's what they are doing (I mean, Ecuador?? It's pitiful.). Tit for tat, perfectly normal, really, I think he's getting off easy.

It occurs to me this is where the Obama leaks have come from, in a sense: people liked the Wikileaks. We were interested, lots of stuff was published about them, not much documented harm came from them, except for some red faces on certain diplomats.

So I wonder if that's why the Obama administration started putting out all those leaks, if that was them doing it. Realizing that people sort of like it, playing to the crowd.

Just speculation on my part. But I like transparency --- Assange has certainly furthered transparency. Very naughty of him, but at best he has to live in Ecuador, so that's fair enough, IMO.

revelarts
06-21-2012, 11:04 AM
So because others may have gotten away with crimes, you feel Assange should? I can see you bitching about others with given proof, but to absolve Assange because others got away with crimes in the past is stupid.
Well if you can ignore/dismiss the plame stuff seems fair that i should be able to ignore Assange becuase i like what he did overall.

But i'll answer your question directly which is a favor a liked returned now and then.
I don't think he's committed a crime here. is it a crime for foreigner to expose U.S. undercover assets? what law covers that? is he a spy? for whom? the people of the world? Did he sell it?
You got no case, while Plame was an obviously tratorios act for it appear political purpose.
where's your outrage?
Don't you feel sorry for u.s. justice sometimes even if you have no feeling for Assange etc.

jimnyc
06-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Well if you can ignore/dismiss the plame stuff seems fair that i should be able to ignore Assange becuase i like what he did overall.

But i'll answer your question directly which is a favor a liked returned now and then.
I don't think he's committed a crime here. is it a crime for foreigner to expose U.S. undercover assets? what law covers that? is he a spy? for whom? the people of the world? Did he sell it?
You got no case, while Plame was an obviously tratorios act for it appear political purpose.
where's your outrage?
Don't you feel sorry for u.s. justice sometimes even if you have no feeling for Assange etc.

It was stolen information, security secrets and confidential. You don't get to say "Oh well" just because you're a foreigner. He acted within a conspiracy to steal and release confidential USA documents. It doesn't make it legal just because he lives elsewhere, it just makes it harder to prosecute.

mundame
06-21-2012, 11:15 AM
It was stolen information, security secrets and confidential. You don't get to say "Oh well" just because you're a foreigner. He acted within a conspiracy to steal and release confidential USA documents. It doesn't make it legal just because he lives elsewhere, it just makes it harder to prosecute.

You remind me that there still are some reasons to feel patriotic.............

People do this sort of stuff. When they do it to the Russians, Putin sends in a hit team and poisons a whole entire sushi joint with radioactivity! Those Russians don't mess around.

We put out some faked rape charges and now Assange has to live in Ecuador....if he's lucky. And he stole a LOT more secrets than the Russian guy ever did.

Those Russians are mean. We aren't. Works for me.

jimnyc
06-21-2012, 11:27 AM
You remind me that there still are some reasons to feel patriotic.............

People do this sort of stuff. When they do it to the Russians, Putin sends in a hit team and poisons a whole entire sushi joint with radioactivity! Those Russians don't mess around.

We put out some faked rape charges and now Assange has to live in Ecuador....if he's lucky. And he stole a LOT more secrets than the Russian guy ever did.

Those Russians are mean. We aren't. Works for me.

I don't know that "we" did it. I don't even know that he's innocent of those charges. Without a trial, and info from BOTH sides, it's hard to make a definitive judgement.

ConHog
06-21-2012, 11:31 AM
more killing without a trial great. that's the American way.
God bless America

:facepalm99:

Sometimes Rev, I think you just don't bother reading things. I CLEARLY said that American Courts don't care how you get in their jurisdiction once you are there. Meaning send SEALs in to snatch his ass and put him on trial here in the US. If he resists and catches a bullet between the eyes, I'd be okay with that to, but the effort could be made.

Thunderknuckles
06-21-2012, 11:42 AM
Sometimes Rev, I think you just don't bother reading things. I CLEARLY said that American Courts don't care how you get in their jurisdiction once you are there. Meaning send SEALs in to snatch his ass and put him on trial here in the US. If he resists and catches a bullet between the eyes, I'd be okay with that to, but the effort could be made.
You have to admit though that sending in a Seal team for Assange would be a global public relations nightmare. It's one thing to take out Osama but using them to snatch up this pretty boy in the dead of night would be disastrous. I have a feeling that the authorities will get to Assange soon enough and he will face some sort of trial.
It's best if we maintain the appearance of not being involved.

ConHog
06-21-2012, 11:53 AM
You have to admit though that sending in a Seal team for Assange would be a global public relations nightmare. It's one thing to take out Osama but using them to snatch up this pretty boy in the dead of night would be disastrous. I have a feeling that the authorities will get to Assange soon enough and he will face some sort of trial.
It's best if we maintain the appearance of not being involved.

you may be right on that point, but in either case I wasn't advocating an assassination as Rev seems to believe.

Thunderknuckles
06-21-2012, 11:59 AM
you may be right on that point, but in either case I wasn't advocating an assassination as Rev seems to believe.
I agree, you said you didn't care how Assange got into our jurisdiction once he was there which I took to mean having him snatched up and brought back alive to face a trial.

Maybe it was your comment before that about going after him with "both barrels" that sparked his replay :p

revelarts
06-21-2012, 12:02 PM

it wasn't clear to me that you didn't mean assassination, sorry Con

ConHog
06-21-2012, 12:09 PM
it wasn't clear to me that you didn't mean assassination, sorry Con

It's all good. I mean I AM okay with just killing terrorists with drones and such in war zones, but this guy doesn't rise to that level IMO. He's just a criminal.

mundame
06-21-2012, 07:03 PM
It's all good. I mean I AM okay with just killing terrorists with drones and such in war zones, but this guy doesn't rise to that level IMO. He's just a criminal.

Besides, the British would probably object if we sent a Predator in to attack that Stately Home he's been a guest at for so many months.....or to blow up the Ecuador Embassy in London. :p