PDA

View Full Version : US & Israel hack Iran

jimnyc
06-19-2012, 04:54 PM
While I think what they did was kinda cool, I'm more worried with these supposed leaks out of the White House right now.

The United States and Israel jointly developed a sophisticated computer virus nicknamed Flame that collected critical intelligence in preparation for cyber-sabotage attacks aimed at slowing Iran’s ability to develop a nuclear weapon, according to Western officials with knowledge of the effort.

The massive piece of malware was designed to secretly map Iran’s computer networks and monitor the computers of Iranian officials, sending back a steady stream of intelligence used to enable an ongoing cyberwarfare campaign, according to the officials.

The effort, involving the National Security Agency, the CIA and Israel’s military, has included the use of destructive software such as the so-called Stuxnet virus to cause malfunctions in Iran’s nuclear enrichment equipment.

The emerging details about Flame provide new clues about what is believed to be the first sustained campaign of cyber-sabotage against an adversary of the United States.

“This is about preparing the battlefield for another type of covert action,” said one former high-ranking U.S. intelligence official, who added that Flame and Stuxnet were elements of a broader assault that continues today. “Cyber collection against the Iranian program is way further down the road than this.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/us-israel-developed-computer-virus-to-slow-iranian-nuclear-efforts-officials-say/2012/06/19/gJQA6xBPoV_print.html

Gaffer
06-19-2012, 07:51 PM
While I think what they did was kinda cool, I'm more worried with these supposed leaks out of the White House right now.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/us-israel-developed-computer-virus-to-slow-iranian-nuclear-efforts-officials-say/2012/06/19/gJQA6xBPoV_print.html

The only successes this administration has seen have been from the military and had nothing to do with politics but everything to do with protecting the nation. So naturally the administration has to find a way to take credit. What's outing a few military and intelligence operations to them, when they can get so much political mileage out of it.

revelarts
06-19-2012, 08:48 PM
hmm, just a question.
If Iran did the same to us would any of you folks consider it an "act of war"?

Dilloduck
06-19-2012, 08:53 PM
hmm, just a question.

Good point---wait til that shit come back to bite us in the ass.

gabosaurus
06-19-2012, 09:55 PM
It's only terrorism if it happens to us.
If the U.S. captures and interrogates prisoners, it is for the public good.
If a foreign power does the same thing, it is terrorism and an act of war.
Which means that when Israel can develop and store nukes, it is "deterrence." When Iran develops nukes, it is terrorism.
Anyone who wants to considers both sides of this story is a terrorist sympathizer.

ConHog
06-19-2012, 11:17 PM
It's only terrorism if it happens to us.
If the U.S. captures and interrogates prisoners, it is for the public good.
If a foreign power does the same thing, it is terrorism and an act of war.
Which means that when Israel can develop and store nukes, it is "deterrence." When Iran develops nukes, it is terrorism.
Anyone who wants to considers both sides of this story is a terrorist sympathizer.

What Shat you say hqs some rruth to it, but you to admit that israel having nukes. Is not quite the same as if iran had nukes.

logroller
06-20-2012, 12:12 AM
Good point---wait til that shit come back to bite us in the ass.
Reminds me of CK Lewis's bit on the long time advantages of being white.

What Shat you say hqs some rruth to it, but you to admit that israel having nukes. Is not quite the same as if iran had nukes.
Are you typing with your feet?

ConHog
06-20-2012, 12:26 AM
Reminds me of CK Lewis's bit on the long time advantages of being white.

Are you typing with your feet?

Damn DROID :laugh:

jimnyc
06-20-2012, 11:48 AM
hmm, just a question.

Wow, you sound just like a bunch of other Ron Paul fans I have ran into. Wait a minute.... :lol:

But seriously, I don't consider it an act of war. Maybe a criminal act, but that's about as far as I see as to what happened here.

gabosaurus
06-20-2012, 12:13 PM

Sounds like ConHog has been out drinking with Gunny. :eek:

I love how Jim condones the U.S. government engaging in criminal acts. But if anyone spies on us (except Israel, which is permitted to spy on us), it is an act of war. :rolleyes:

jimnyc
06-20-2012, 12:16 PM

I love how Jim condones the U.S. government engaging in criminal acts. But if anyone spies on us (except Israel, which is permitted to spy on us), it is an act of war. :rolleyes:

Show me ONE time where I EVER stated anything remotely to that effect, that others spying on is is considered an act of war. Just one.

And our intel agencies CONTINUALLY perform illegal acts, if need be, in order to gather intelligence. We have covert operations all over the world. And I sure as fuck condone it.

logroller
06-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Show me ONE time where I EVER stated anything remotely to that effect, that others spying on is is considered an act of war. Just one.

And our intel agencies CONTINUALLY perform illegal acts, if need be, in order to gather intelligence. We have covert operations all over the world. And I sure as fuck condone it.

Good answer....especially if they're readin this. Makes me want to go back and see what we were posting on when the data centers go down...just saying.

revelarts
06-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Wow, you sound just like a bunch of other Ron Paul fans I have ran into. Wait a minute.... :lol:

But seriously, I don't consider it an act of war. Maybe a criminal act, but that's about as far as I see as to what happened here.

so if they hacked into the pentagon and or NSA CIA nuke facilities and sent viruses on the networks, that's just a crime. not an act of war in your opinion.

Ok
(write that down...)

Seems to me that it's a lil more than spying though. Seems that'd cross over to realm of sabotage at the least.

logroller
06-20-2012, 12:42 PM
so if they hacked into the pentagon and or NSA CIA nuke facilities and sent viruses on the networks, that's just a crime. not an act of war in your opinion.

Ok
(write that down...)

Seems to me that it's a lil more than spying though. Seems that'd cross over to realm of sabotage at the least.
Sabotage is a crime, no? If one is engaged in war, it's to be expected; but that doesn't mean sabotage is an act of war. Corporations probably do that crap all the time. I seem to remember last year sometime a security firm which produces RSA IDs was hacked and then an attempt to hack Northrop using that info. Not much discussion on it, all hush hush, but they did say it happened.

jimnyc
06-20-2012, 12:42 PM

Ok
(write that down...)

Did you think I was going to say it's ok to bomb them over espionage? And even viruses, no, you can't hardly drop bombs for that either. But you are correct that there is "damages". Do we or they respond militarily though? I don't think that would be wise.

revelarts
06-20-2012, 01:10 PM
...And even viruses, no, you can't hardly drop bombs for that either. But you are correct that there is "damages". Do we or they respond militarily though? I don't think that would be wise.
JIM? Jimnyc?...
Ok
I'd have to agree sir

jimnyc
06-20-2012, 01:13 PM
JIM? Jimnyc?...
Ok
I'd have to agree sir

I still support torture though! :lol:

Gaffer
06-20-2012, 01:27 PM
The idea that Israel is allowed to spy on the US is ludicrous. Tell that to the Israeli spy who was recently sentenced to life in prison for spying on the US.

If iran sent a virus to US computers it would be an act of war. They try to do it all the time though. There are thousands of attempts every day by a variety of hackers, domestic and foreign. The US and Israel got lucky and one of their attempts succeeded. Neither admitted to it, though the leaks for political gain suggested it was done, most probably Israel's doing with help from the US. Is it an act of war? Sure. Can anyone prove who did it? Nope.

ConHog
06-20-2012, 01:29 PM

I don't think I've seen Jim say that (oh you mean it is possible to defend the truth even when you're upset with someone, what a novel concept)

In fact traditionally , spies and the governments which control them consider themselves to be purveyors of peace and that is how it worked during for example the Cold War. We spied on the Soviet Union trying to steal enough secrets to keep them from going to war, and they did the same. Technically a crime, but punishable in most cases by expulsion from whichever country you were spying in.

Of course we can't operate in that fashion with the Middle Eastern countries (save perhaps Israel ) because we couldn't trust them to reciprocate.

Spying isn't an act of war though.

fj1200
06-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Damn DROID :laugh:

I thought Droid translated jumbled letters into actual words. :confused: If that's what Droid came up with I'd hate to see what you actually tried to type. :poke:

Nukeman
06-20-2012, 01:46 PM
The idea that Israel is allowed to spy on the US is ludicrous. Tell that to the Israeli spy who was recently sentenced to life in prison for spying on the US.

If iran sent a virus to US computers it would be an act of war. They try to do it all the time though. There are thousands of attempts every day by a variety of hackers, domestic and foreign. The US and Israel got lucky and one of their attempts succeeded. Neither admitted to it, though the leaks for political gain suggested it was done, most probably Israel's doing with help from the US. Is it an act of war? Sure. Can anyone prove who did it? Nope.Yep... China does this almost EVERY day. they have hacked into our electric grid and other utilities. Iran tries all the time as well.

Not an act of war unless they take over our systems and cause massive damage in my book. hell our military shouldn't be on ANY type of public grid anyway!!!!