PDA

View Full Version : It's official. Marco Rubio being vetted for VP

Thunderknuckles
06-19-2012, 05:40 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/onpolitics/post/2012/06/marco-rubio-vice-president-/1#.T-D-vxfOxic
Whether he make it through is another question of course.

jimnyc
06-19-2012, 06:57 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/onpolitics/post/2012/06/marco-rubio-vice-president-/1#.T-D-vxfOxic
Whether he make it through is another question of course.

Well, he can do or say nothing from this point forward and have done better than Biden! :laugh:

mundame
06-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Rubio is too vivid; he would upstage Romney.

I guess Rubio saying he would sneak into the U.S. if he had to from Latin America and his association now with Romney's campaign is how Romney is replying to Obama saying he won't deport illegal immigrants.

Abbey Marie
06-19-2012, 09:40 PM
Here's hoping...

gabosaurus
06-19-2012, 09:57 PM
Rubio was elected to the Senate in 2010 and is already being considered a possible VP?
I hope Rubio brings his Green card and his birth certificate (his real one).

Thunderknuckles
06-20-2012, 12:38 AM
Rubio is too vivid; he would upstage Romney.
I disagree. Rubio will fall in line. It is Chris Christie, another potential VP candidate, who would upstage Romney.

Rubio was elected to the Senate in 2010 and is already being considered a possible VP?

Obama was elected to the Senate in 2005 and became the President in 2008.
You are shocked by Rubio being elected to the senate in 2010 and being a VP candidate for 2012?

Honestly Gabby, did you even bother with the math on this one?

Kathianne
06-20-2012, 12:48 AM
I think Romney needs a true conservative as VP. There are too many questions regarding his own stands over time. I could go with Jindal, Ryan as my first choices. Rubio on illegal immigration is a problem in my book. For that matter so was GW, which so many liberals forget. Christie is more liberal than many realize.

Thunderknuckles
06-20-2012, 01:04 AM
I think Romney needs a true conservative as VP. There are too many questions regarding his own stands over time. I could go with Jindal, Ryan as my first choices. Rubio on illegal immigration is a problem in my book. For that matter so was GW, which so many liberals forget. Christie is more liberal than many realize.
I don't know what the calculus is behind Rubio. Romney is not going to get the Hispanic vote with Rubio. Obama already clinched that one with the work permit give away.

I think part of releasing the information that Rubio is a VP candidate is vetting in and of itself. Let the media see if they can find anything on him and move on from there unlike McCain who announced Palin out of no where and suffered for it later.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

mundame
06-20-2012, 07:39 AM
I don't know what the calculus is behind Rubio. Romney is not going to get the Hispanic vote with Rubio. Obama already clinched that one with the work permit give away.

I think part of releasing the information that Rubio is a VP candidate is vetting in and of itself. Let the media see if they can find anything on him and move on from there unlike McCain who announced Palin out of no where and suffered for it later.

Interesting post! Good point that if there is anything to find against Rubio, the press (or enemy leakers) WILL find it. And that this may be a calculated defense against the situation with Palin. And a good one.

And in any case, he's only vetting ---- he can get creds with the Hispanics by talking about it, and then later choose someone more boring that Romney is himself later: which I think would be safer. Just my opinion, though.

mundame
06-20-2012, 07:44 AM
I disagree. Rubio will fall in line. It is Chris Christie, another potential VP candidate, who would upstage Romney.

Yeah.........you are perhaps saying Christie is vivid in an aggressive way.

I think there is another problem with Christie: the whole Romney campaign would suddenly become about Christie's morbid obesity. Which is these days very unfashionable.

It is easy to derail a candidacy -- the Palin one quickly became about her low IQ and poor education and a number of other failings she had (talk about poor vetting!!). Christie's weight is just too easy. Christie may well run for prez, but he has to lose weight and mature as a politician. He is a very interesting person and I like him, but I agree he would be a bad fit for mild, somewhat robotic Romney. He would suck all the air out of the campaign and breathe it himself.

MtnBiker
06-20-2012, 08:02 AM
I hope Rubio brings his Green card and his birth certificate (his real one).

racist

Thunderknuckles
06-20-2012, 10:13 AM
racist
:laugh:

gabosaurus
06-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Yep, walked right into that one. :420:

Abbey Marie
06-20-2012, 12:20 PM

I disagree. Time will tell, but there is a lot of real excitement when someone from your culture/race is for the first time actually going to be next in line for the Presidency. I wouldn't underestimate that, nor the potential to take Florida in the process.

logroller
06-20-2012, 12:27 PM
GW= George Wallace ? :laugh:

Thunderknuckles
06-20-2012, 12:33 PM
I disagree. Time will tell, but there is a lot of real excitement when someone from your culture/race is for the first time actually going to be next in line for the Presidency. I wouldn't underestimate that, nor the potential to take Florida in the process.
I agree with you on the Florida comment. Obama took Florida in 2008 by a small margin. This may tip Florida over to the right this time around. His Cuban background has a far greater impact there.

fj1200
06-21-2012, 07:46 AM
I agree with you on the Florida comment. Obama took Florida in 2008 by a small margin. This may tip Florida over to the right this time around. His Cuban background has a far greater impact there.

I think Romney takes FL regardless.

Thunderknuckles
06-21-2012, 10:24 AM
I think Romney takes FL regardless.
I won't argue with that. He has a good shot.
The state I am really going to watch is Wisconsin. I was doing some quick research and that state hasn't voted Republican in a Presidential election since Ronald Reagan in 1984.
I'm expecting a close one even after Scott Walker's victorious showdown.
Which way do you guys think this state will go?

mundame
06-21-2012, 11:26 AM
I don't know the situation in Wisconsin, but I was very interested in a WSJ article yesterday saying Tim Pawlenty has supported Romney since he withdrew from his own race ------------

But Pawlenty cannot deliver Minnesota to the campaign as VP because he didn't deliver it during the primary: Romney came in third in Minnesota.

Unfortunate, since Pawlenty would be the only person I can think of who would be more boring than Romney, which would make him a perfect VP. VPs who are more vivid and interesting than the candidate have not worked out well: see Palin.

fj1200
06-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Which way do you guys think this state will go?

It depends on the margin of victory for Romney. If it gets wide enough then the states will follow.

And if he even bothers to campaign and run ads there.