PDA

View Full Version : I'm in the igloo!

jimnyc
06-22-2012, 01:01 PM
It's been hovering at about 95 degrees here for 3 straight days. I went and bought a new 10,000 BTU air conditioner for my rather tiny computer room / sometimes bedroom. The icicles are forming already! It's all gonna be fund and games until the wifey gets the electric bill!

Kathianne
06-22-2012, 01:04 PM
It's been hovering at about 95 degrees here for 3 straight days. I went and bought a new 10,000 BTU air conditioner for my rather tiny computer room / sometimes bedroom. The icicles are forming already! It's all gonna be fund and games until the wifey gets the electric bill!

Sounds like you got our weather from a few days back. I believe it was like a 6 day stretch in the 90's. Yesterday we had a high of 88, seemed 'cool.'

Abbey Marie
06-22-2012, 01:04 PM

And yet, TOTALLY worth it!

jimnyc
06-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Sounds like you got our weather from a few days back. I believe it was like a 6 day stretch in the 90's. Yesterday we had a high of 88, seemed 'cool.'

Yep, our weather seems to always come from the midwest and the south, then together they swoop up towards us and into Canada. So thanks for passing this crap on! LOL

And yet, TOTALLY worth it!

Oh, no doubt! I'm willing to take a beating for awhile for comfort! I was thinking of a nice leather recliner too, one of those huge oversized ones that you can basically sleep in. They have them for $799 at "Bob's Discount". I think I'll wait on that one!

gabosaurus
06-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Oh posh. If you lived someplace where the weather is nice all the time (like Southern California), you wouldn't need to waste your money on AC.

jimnyc
06-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Oh posh. If you lived someplace where the weather is nice all the time (like Southern California), you wouldn't need to waste your money on AC.

If I had to live in that liberal shithole, and within driving distance of you, I would prefer to waste my money on one of Kevorkian's machines.

gabosaurus
06-22-2012, 05:09 PM
If I had to live in that liberal shithole, and within driving distance of you, I would prefer to waste my money on one of Kevorkian's machines.

If you were in driving distance of my hotness, even the strongest AC couldn't cool you down. :slap:

logroller
06-22-2012, 05:14 PM
Wih San onofre nuke plant down you may not have a choice.

SassyLady
06-22-2012, 05:22 PM
I went from 107-109 weather in AZ to 59 here in Northern CA .... dang, I'm freezing....it's summer and I'm wearing a sweatshirt, indoors!!!

BTW ... my weather up here is so nice that we don't have A/C in our house...just fans and lots of windows and skylights that open ..... opening them up at night is how we cool the house down for the heat wave (80's-90's) the next day if it gets hot.

I guess it was in the 90's a couple of days last week .... today it's been raining off and on all day.

Abbey Marie
06-23-2012, 11:20 AM
I went from 107-109 weather in AZ to 59 here in Northern CA .... dang, I'm freezing....it's summer and I'm wearing a sweatshirt, indoors!!!

BTW ... my weather up here is so nice that we don't have A/C in our house...just fans and lots of windows and skylights that open ..... opening them up at night is how we cool the house down for the heat wave (80's-90's) the next day if it gets hot.

I guess it was in the 90's a couple of days last week .... today it's been raining off and on all day.

I hate you!

:cool:

SassyLady
06-23-2012, 08:21 PM
I hate you!

:cool:

I think both of us would be happier and more comfortable if we were in the Caribbean on a cruise ship with Johnny and Sean!!!

Trigg
06-23-2012, 08:28 PM
I just wish we would get some rain....I can handle the heat.

It's so dry the grass (what's left of it) hurts your feet.

Abbey Marie
06-24-2012, 03:34 PM
I think both of us would be happier and more comfortable if we were in the Caribbean on a cruise ship with Johnny and Sean!!!

If happier and comfortable = excited and satisfied!

:dance:

gabosaurus
06-24-2012, 10:58 PM

On a clothing optional cruise, of course. :cool:

SassyLady
06-25-2012, 12:52 AM
On a clothing optional cruise, of course. :cool:

Of course .... why do you think we've been working so hard on getting rid of our tan lines?!? :coffee:

logroller
06-25-2012, 01:00 AM
Of course .... why do you think we've been working so hard on getting rid of our tan lines?!? :coffee:

I stopped after this and realized I had no idea what thread I was viewing....it's sufficient to say, you and abbey have melted the igloo.

SassyLady
06-25-2012, 01:02 AM
I stopped after this and realized I had no idea what thread I was viewing....it's sufficient to say, you and abbey have melted the igloo.

Gabby helped.....:poke:

logroller
06-25-2012, 01:09 AM
Gabby helped.....:poke:
Whose fantasy is this, y'all ladies' or Jim's?;)

SassyLady
06-25-2012, 01:12 AM
Whose fantasy is this, y'all ladies' or Jim's?;)

Everyone here is in Jim's fantasy, Log. Didn't you know you were caught up in the DP Matrix?

logroller
06-25-2012, 01:18 AM
Everyone here is in Jim's fantasy, Log. Didn't you know you were caught up in the DP Matrix?
Was that the blue pill or the red?

logroller
06-25-2012, 01:24 AM
Was that the blue pill or the red?
I took two yellows. :dunno:

SassyLady
06-25-2012, 03:01 AM
I took two yellows. :dunno:

Oh man....are you ever headed down the wrong rabbit hole. We took the "Purple Pills" .... that's the only way the "clothing optional" thing will fly ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7eViKPSkZU

Abbey Marie
06-25-2012, 02:21 PM

That explains a lot!

logroller
06-25-2012, 04:48 PM
That makes a lot of sense after I've thought about it. Sometimes I feel like I'm in slow motion here, with posts like those bullets in the matrix.:laugh:

ConHog
06-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Has anyone pointed out that igloos are actually built to retain heat, not cooling? :lol:

tailfins
06-25-2012, 05:56 PM

You live in Hillary's stomping ground and you talk about liberal sheet-holes? At least I admit the good times where I live is a freak event because businesses can't flee as fast as people.

Drummond
06-25-2012, 07:05 PM
I just wish we would get some rain....I can handle the heat.

It's so dry the grass (what's left of it) hurts your feet.

Anyone want to know about British weather ?

It's DEFINITELY not dry !

http://news.sky.com/story/952042/fresh-flood-warnings-after-further-deluges

Britain is braced for further flooding as forecasters suggest this June could be one of the wettest for 100 years.

More rain fell overnight across most of the country, adding to the deluges which have swamped northern counties and Scotland, and forced families to flee their homes.

Further showers and possible thunderstorms are expected to hit many areas, with the heaviest downpours in Scotland and northern and eastern England.

While these areas are no longer at risk of significant floods, the wet weather is likely to increase the burden on towns and villages as they attempt to clear up, after a month's rain fell in 24 hours in the North West.

Sky News weather presenter Nazaneen Ghaffar said: "Figures suggest that this June could be one of the wettest since records began in 1914."

The South West is likely to see the worst of the day's weather, with the area said to be at a low risk of flooding caused by heavy rain overnight.

The Environment Agency has issued 23 flood warnings and 65 alerts - of which 20 are in the South West - and the Met Office has issued a "yellow" severe weather warning for the region.

An agency spokesman said: "There is a low risk of some localised flooding on Sunday across parts of south west England due to heavy rain, so we urge people to remain vigilant.

"Further showers are expected across northern England, however, further significant flooding is not expected here."

The warnings came after many rivers reached record levels on Saturday night, including the River Calder at Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire.

The River Yarrow burst its banks in Croston, Lancashire, flooding around 70 homes which had to be evacuated.

Clean-up operations are continuing in the worst-hit areas, where water levels reached waist height.

Just a couple of months ago, there was talk of hosepipe restrictions because we expected to experience drought conditions from then and throughout summer. But now, we're getting deluges, as weather storms keep piling in from the Atlantic. Now, just several weeks later, the ground is so waterlogged that it can't absorb more water. In too many areas, heavy rainfall is now translating into record-breaking floods.

Temperatures are lower than usual, too .. in my part of the world, it's struggling to reach 70 degrees F ... and typically over the past few weeks, it's been in the mid-Fifties.

I recall visiting Reykjavik, Iceland, in August, two decades ago (which included visiting the Keflavik US Airbase, by the way, and seeing your AWACS planes on the tarmac). The weather we had a week ago was nearly identical to their 'high Summer' ....

gabosaurus
06-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Last time I was visiting the English midlands, I noticed how it was usually cool and wet, even in the summer months.
English weather is normally miserable most of the time. It matches the food. :cool:

Drummond
06-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Last time I was visiting the English midlands, I noticed how it was usually cool and wet, even in the summer months.
English weather is normally miserable most of the time. It matches the food. :cool:

... ahh, Gabby !! Never lost for words when it comes to enthusiastically praising us Brits, I see ... [/sarcasm]

Where the British weather comparison is concerned, haven't you neglected to point out that you're evidently comparing it to CALIFORNIAN weather ?? Now, tell me, how many locations in the US would be delighted to have a chance of regularly experiencing California's climate ?

The British Isles are just that .. islands, surrounded by sea. It stands to reason that a comparatively damp climate will come about. If it weren't for the Gulf Stream, Gabby, our weather would be significantly colder than it is. You forget how northerly our latitudinal location really is.

As for our food .. did you never visit a chip shop and buy yourself cod and chips (with a saveloy for added spiciness) ? I just bet you didn't. Or savour a steak and kidney pie ?

Then again, you could've probably bought yourself a takeaway kebab, if you'd felt so inclined. Delicious !!

Tell you what, Gabby .. if you truly find it difficult to see us Brits in a positive light, just reflect on the greatness of a People who could produce such world statespersons such as Churchill and Margaret Thatcher. If you're looking to offer us high praise, it's simple ... just acknowledge that Margaret won three consecutive election victories !!

Gabby, be honest, NOW .. what could be better than THAT ??? :cheers2::bow2::thewave:

Thunderknuckles
06-26-2012, 03:26 PM
... if you truly find it difficult to see us Brits in a positive light, just reflect on the greatness of a People...

I know you didn't ask me but thought I'd chime in and say I love the Brits!

The greatest empire in human history.
The mother of the United States.
Gave the world such luminaries as Sir Isaac Newton, William Shakespeare, Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill, and the Spice Girls.

God save the Queen and may the sun never set on the British Empire.

Drummond
06-26-2012, 04:17 PM
I know you didn't ask me but thought I'd chime in and say I love the Brits!

The greatest empire in human history.
The mother of the United States.
Gave the world such luminaries as Sir Isaac Newton, William Shakespeare, Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill, and the Spice Girls.

God save the Queen and may the sun never set on the British Empire.

This is very appreciated !! Thank you ! :clap::clap:

Abbey Marie
06-26-2012, 05:30 PM
... ahh, Gabby !! Never lost for words when it comes to enthusiastically praising us Brits, I see ... [/sarcasm]

Where the British weather comparison is concerned, haven't you neglected to point out that you're evidently comparing it to CALIFORNIAN weather ?? Now, tell me, how many locations in the US would be delighted to have a chance of regularly experiencing California's climate ?

The British Isles are just that .. islands, surrounded by sea. It stands to reason that a comparatively damp climate will come about. If it weren't for the Gulf Stream, Gabby, our weather would be significantly colder than it is. You forget how northerly our latitudinal location really is.

As for our food .. did you never visit a chip shop and buy yourself cod and chips (with a saveloy for added spiciness) ? I just bet you didn't. Or savour a steak and kidney pie ?

Then again, you could've probably bought yourself a takeaway kebab, if you'd felt so inclined. Delicious !!

Tell you what, Gabby .. if you truly find it difficult to see us Brits in a positive light, just reflect on the greatness of a People who could produce such world statespersons such as Churchill and Margaret Thatcher. If you're looking to offer us high praise, it's simple ... just acknowledge that Margaret won three consecutive election victories !!

Gabby, be honest, NOW .. what could be better than THAT ??? :cheers2::bow2::thewave:

As far as I'm concerned after having visited Westminster Abbey, you can do no wrong. :2up:

Drummond
06-27-2012, 03:49 PM
As far as I'm concerned after having visited Westminster Abbey, you can do no wrong. :2up:

Ah, yes !

I'm almost ashamed to say I've been there only once myself ... my parents took me there when I was a kid. And now, I'm living further away from there than I ever did before.

Still, I can always make my mind up to make the effort .. in my case, it's two hours away by fast train, plus travel-time on the Tube ...

gabosaurus
06-27-2012, 05:06 PM
... ahh, Gabby !! Never lost for words when it comes to enthusiastically praising us Brits, I see ...

I have nothing against the Brits at all. I've been there several times. My best friend since I was 6 lives there. As a British citizen by marriage, no less. I enjoyed all my visits to England. I've gone to a cricket match. I have played cricket! (bowled for a duck, I was). I have a picture of me in the famous crosswalk in front of Abbey Road Studios. I've been to Buckingham Palace.
Yes, I went there and got the T-shirt!

Tell you what, Gabby .. if you truly find it difficult to see us Brits in a positive light, just reflect on the greatness of a People who could produce such world statespersons such as Churchill and Margaret Thatcher

Well, I will give you Churchill. As for Thatcher, she is almost as awesome as Bill Clinton.

If you're looking to offer us high praise, it's simple ... just acknowledge that Margaret won three consecutive election victories !!

Americans elected Bill Clinton twice. Want to praise us for that?

Drummond
06-28-2012, 02:48 PM
I have nothing against the Brits at all. I've been there several times. My best friend since I was 6 lives there. As a British citizen by marriage, no less. I enjoyed all my visits to England. I've gone to a cricket match. I have played cricket! (bowled for a duck, I was). I have a picture of me in the famous crosswalk in front of Abbey Road Studios. I've been to Buckingham Palace.
Yes, I went there and got the T-shirt!

I'm astonished !! This is the first post I've seen from you that doesn't come across as though you're determined to see the UK and its people in the worst possible light you can manage.

Thank you for what you've now said.

Well, I will give you Churchill. As for Thatcher, she is almost as awesome as Bill Clinton.

I expect you actually didn't mean that as an insult (?!?). I shall try very hard to interpret the remark accordingly.

Americans elected Bill Clinton twice. Want to praise us for that?

On what possible grounds ???

I daresay there are all sorts of reasons for being anti-Clinton based on his performance in domestic US politics, on issues I'll be far from qualified to comment on. But two very obvious reasons come to mind to consider he was a disaster. Do you even need me to cover them ?

One: 'I did not have sexual relations with that woman', i.e his lies to the American people, not forgetting his wife (!!!!) regarding Monica Lewinsky (I met her once, at a book-signing at Lakeside Thurrock, Essex).

Two: his REPEATED failures to deal with Osama bin Laden, when the opportunities arose. I ask ... did his terrible failures make a decisive difference to 3,000 deaths on 9/11, people who died, who might NOT have, had OBL been dealt with years before ??

ConHog
06-28-2012, 02:50 PM
And perhaps Gabby was kidding anyway? Nope, she's a liberal so that's not possible.

PS - It is a gross misconception that good food can't be found in England.

Thunderknuckles
06-28-2012, 02:59 PM
Poor Brits can't catch a break around here lol.
I forgot to mention another reason why I like the Brits, the English in particular. My father's side of the family came from England. They have a nice University over there that bears my family's name.

As for food, I've always wanted to try some authentic Shepherds Pie. I'm a meat and potatos kinda guy.

ConHog
06-28-2012, 03:01 PM
I forgot to mention another reason why I like the Brits, the English in particular. My father's side of the family came from England. They have a nice University over there that bears my family's name.

As for food, I've always wanted to try some authentic Shepherds Pie. I'm a meat and potatos kinda guy.

I have a pretty good Shepard's pie recipe that a friend of my mom's gave her (she was born in London) I'll see if I can find it when I get home. I LOVE Shepard's Pie. Also love fish and chips and Welsh Rabbit.

Drummond
06-28-2012, 04:11 PM

Another post from you that I've enjoyed reading. Many thanks !

Yes, I like Shepherds Pie .. sometimes, the potato element is 'creamed' with the addition of butter. That definitely improves it.

But for my money, a better pie is Steak and Kidney. These days, pies with a deeper filling and filled with chunks of steak-consistency meat are easier to buy. Put one of them on a plate with chips, and you have a highly satisfying, very tasty, meal.

For myself, much of my family came from England (despite being in south Wales right now, I'm not a Welshman at all, but a born-and-bred Londoner). Some of my father's family came from southern Ireland .. and there's a suggestion that on my mother's father's side, there are Italian roots.

I don't know your family name, of course .. but .. 'Thunderknuckles University' has a certain ring to it .... :laugh:

Thunderknuckles
06-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Another post from you that I've enjoyed reading.
As opposed to how many of my posts you've hated reading? :p

I don't know your family name, of course .. but .. 'Thunderknuckles University' has a certain ring to it .... :laugh:
Keele

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Another post from you that I've enjoyed reading. Many thanks !

Yes, I like Shepherds Pie .. sometimes, the potato element is 'creamed' with the addition of butter. That definitely improves it.

But for my money, a better pie is Steak and Kidney. These days, pies with a deeper filling and filled with chunks of steak-consistency meat are easier to buy. Put one of them on a plate with chips, and you have a highly satisfying, very tasty, meal.

For myself, much of my family came from England (despite being in south Wales right now, I'm not a Welshman at all, but a born-and-bred Londoner). Some of my father's family came from southern Ireland .. and there's a suggestion that on my mother's father's side, there are Italian roots.

"southern Ireland" you say. Now I can understand where you got your wit and lady pleasing charm my friend, eh?
Irish are often witty, charming devils when they aren't rip roaring drunk! ;)
Then they are loud mouth brutes fit only for fighting and barmaid chasing.-:laugh:--Tyr

Thunderknuckles
06-28-2012, 09:23 PM
"southern Ireland" you say. Now I can understand where you got your wit and lady pleasing charm my friend, eh?
Irish are often witty, charming devils when they aren't rip roaring drunk! ;)
Then they are loud mouth brutes fit only for fighting and barmaid chasing.-:laugh:--Tyr
Sounds like my wife alright, even the barmaid chasing :p

ConHog
06-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Found it

80ml olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1small chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup carrots, diced (optional)
1/4 cup assorted wild mushrooms, sliced(optional)
1lb minced lamb-beef
1 cup chicken, beef or lamb stock
1/2 cup red wine
1 tsp anchovy essence(optional)
2sp Worcester sauce
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs of thyme
1 tbsp plain flour
salt and pepper
FOR THE MASH TOPPING
1 ½ lb potatoes
2 fl oz milk
3oz butter
1 egg yolk

How to make it

In a large non-stick casserole dish heat 1 oz of dripping or oil. Add the large onion and cook for 5 mins.
Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, heat a little olive oil and fry the mince up evenly and cook until browned. While the meat is frying, break up any lumps with the back of the spoon.
Add the carrots and continue to cook for another 4-5 minutes.
meanwhile, in the casserole dish stir the onions and add the wild mushrooms, 1 tablespoon of plain flour (this helps to thicken the juices) and stir. Mix well and add 2 bay leaves, 2-3 sprigs of thyme and the anchovy essence and stir.
To the onion mix add the chopped tomatoes,red wine ,stock (keep a little aside, for putting into the mince pan to de-glaze) and Worcester sauce.
Add the cooked mince & carrots to the onion mix and then pour the reserved stock into the empty mince pan, scraping off any bits of mince left in the pan. Pour the remaining stock into the pan containing the mince & onion mixture.
Bring the mixture to the boil, adding a pinch of pepper and let it simmer for about 45 minutes.
Boil the potatoes, sieve and put into a bowl. Add the butter and egg yolk, and mash together. Season with salt and black pepper.
Pour the meat into an ovenproof dish and spread the mash on top, smooth over and mark with a spatula. Sprinkle some parmasan over the top if you wish.
Bake at 350 degrees until it is bubbling and golden.

Thunderknuckles
06-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks for taking the time ConHog :)
I shot a copy of it over to my wife. We'll give it a try!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Sounds like my wife alright, even the barmaid chasing :p

Two Irish bums were sitting under a bridge passing the lazy afternoon. One turns to the other , chugs his beer , wipes his mouth and says, "I wish I had ten thousand pounds and a keg of beer."
The other chugs his beer and says, " You fool , if you are going to wish then wish big like me, I'd make it 20,000 pounds and two kegs of beer ! I'm thirsty and would like to pay off my bar tab from this year!" :laugh2:--Tyr

ConHog
06-28-2012, 09:36 PM
Thanks for taking the time ConHog :)
I shot a copy of it over to my wife. We'll give it a try!

Sometimes we cheat.

Meat loaf and mashed potatoes one night, the next night pile the left over mashed potatoes over the left over meat loaf, sprinkle with cheddar cheese, bake.

Not quite as good and I LOVE meat loaf sandwiches as left overs, but in a pinch..............

Drummond
06-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Two Irish bums were sitting under a bridge passing the lazy afternoon. One turns to the other , chugs his beer , wipes his mouth and says, "I wish I had ten thousand pounds and a keg of beer."
The other chugs his beer and says, " You fool , if you are going to wish then wish big like me, I'd make it 20,000 pounds and two kegs of beer ! I'm thirsty and would like to pay off my bar tab from this year!" :laugh2:--Tyr

:laugh2::laugh2::alcoholic: