PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy Putty

Shadow
06-22-2012, 08:28 PM
Can you use this to fix leaks in copper air conditioning pipe? And will it hold?

aboutime
06-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Can you use this to fix leaks in copper air conditioning pipe? And will it hold?

Go to HOME DEPOT. Tell them you need a new copper "FURL" for the air conditioning pipe. Get some white tape to wrap around the fitting before you tighten it with a wrench. The leak SHOULD be gone.

The white tape has a name I've forgotten. But the person who helps you will know, and probably suggest getting it.

Mr. P
06-22-2012, 08:54 PM

Where is the leak? At a fitting or is it a small hole in the pipe? Where is this pipe, main line, evaporator, condenser?

Missileman
06-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Go to HOME DEPOT. Tell them you need a new copper "FURL" for the air conditioning pipe. Get some white tape to wrap around the fitting before you tighten it with a wrench. The leak SHOULD be gone.

The white tape has a name I've forgotten. But the person who helps you will know, and probably suggest getting it.

Teflon tape

aboutime
06-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Teflon tape

Thanks Missileman. Guess my old mind is getting forgetful now.
Sometimes...things just slip on by.
Thanks again.

Shadow
06-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Where is the leak? At a fitting or is it a small hole in the pipe? Where is this pipe, main line, evaporator, condenser?

At a fitting...copper pipe that leads from the water heater to the roof. Fitting I think is stripped...wont loosen or tighten.

Mr. P
06-23-2012, 01:24 PM
At a fitting...copper pipe that leads from the water heater to the roof. Fitting I think is stripped...wont loosen or tighten.

I thought you said air conditioning?

Shadow
06-23-2012, 02:14 PM
I thought you said air conditioning?

Sorry actually swamp cooler.

aboutime
06-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Sorry actually swamp cooler.

Now I really feel dumber than normal. What's a Swamp Cooler?

Shadow
06-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Now I really feel dumber than normal. What's a Swamp Cooler?

Evaporative cooler (desert cooler, wet air cooler :)). Anyway...I tried the Epoxy Putty and it still leaks. May have to call a plumber or something.

Mr. P
06-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Evaporative cooler (desert cooler, wet air cooler :)). Anyway...I tried the Epoxy Putty and it still leaks. May have to call a plumber or something.

Yeah. For sure the connection needs replaced if it's stripped.

And if it's AC I think the pressure is to great for tape or epoxy repair.
On the other hand I've never heard of a desert cooler. SO......my opinion sux. Just sayin:laugh:

Shadow
06-23-2012, 07:05 PM

On the other hand I've never heard of a desert cooler. SO......my opinion sux. Just sayin:laugh:

Well damn it! I thought duct tape fixed everything. :laugh:

Gaffer
06-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Well damn it! I thought duct tape fixed everything. :laugh:

Everything but water.

Missileman
06-23-2012, 07:07 PM

Swamp coolers are low pressure...works like the misting fans you see on NFL sidelines, only it's a big square box that sits on top of the house. Draws air over mist and blows the cooled air into the house.

Shadow
06-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Everything but water.

Figures. Comes in pretty fashion colors now though (incase you need to know that).

Mr. P
06-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Swamp coolers are low pressure...works like the misting fans you see on NFL sidelines, only it's a big square box that sits on top of the house. Draws air over mist and blows the cooled air into the house.

Interesting, I understand the concept but had no idea this method was used these days..Heck, that's like aiming a fan across a block of ice.

What year are you livin in Shadow?:laugh:

Shadow
06-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Interesting, I understand the concept but had no idea this method was used these days..Heck, that's like aiming a fan across a block of ice.

What year are you livin in Shadow?:laugh:

Um...I thought retro was in these days? :laugh:

SassyLady
06-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Mr. P ... I live in Northern CA and I don't have A/C .... there is probably less than 5 days a year that get over 95 .... so we have what we call an "evaporative/swamp cooler". Will absolutely cool down the house but is a little "breezy" and noisy. I don't turn it on unless the house gets to 85.

Dilloduck
06-23-2012, 08:55 PM
If I was there I would hold it with my bare hands.

Shadow
06-23-2012, 09:00 PM

Yeah...you could plug the leak with one hand...and clean the garage with the other. ;)

aboutime
06-23-2012, 09:11 PM
You could just stop at your local Home Depot, or whatever other Hardware stores. Tell them you have a copper fitting that leaks on your cooling system, and they probably will help you solve the problem without finding a plumber that will charge you...whether they solve the problem or not.
Do it yourself often works. If you want it to.

Mr. P
06-23-2012, 10:55 PM

Yeah...you could plug the leak with one hand...and clean the garage with the other. ;)

Hey, hey...Enough sex talk you two! :laugh:

Dilloduck
06-24-2012, 01:43 AM
Hey, hey...Enough sex talk you two! :laugh:

She's so pathetic--I knew she would take my wholesome gesture and TWIST IT into something DIRTY.

Kathianne
06-24-2012, 01:55 AM
I'm in Chicago. I hate cold, I hate hot. Why am I living here? The land of no jobs and exorbitant taxes? I"m just waiting for the short sale, any day now.