PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Options

jimnyc
06-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Logroller brought this up earlier and I know Noir brought up a few mobile questions in the past. As of now, it's not the most mobile friendly place to visit. The issue is further compounded by the fact that we have a custom style/feel to the board, so things aren't where they should be to an extent. But we do have options we can try...

1- For starters, for current mobile users (phones, ipads, androids...) - at the very bottom of the board, left hand side. You'll see a drop down box option that is currently set to "Debate Policy". You can try changing this on your mobile device to "Default Mobile Style" and see if that helps. It doesn't have the same look, but it's less bloated and may be easier on you guys.

Then there are to apps/programs we can look into.

2- Currently built into the latest version of vBulletin, but I have disabled right now, is an app called "Forum Runner", downloadable at both Itunes and at the Android Market.

Here is the main page - http://www.forumrunner.net/?p=index

And the features - http://www.forumrunner.net/?p=features

3- Then we have similar, an app called "Tapatalk", which is more popular, but not built in. http://www.tapatalk.com/index.php

Those interested, take a peek at the 3 options and give me an idea if you like any of them or not, or if the default mobile style is good enough.

jimnyc
06-23-2012, 08:44 AM
As to option #2 above, Forum Runner... I just went to download the app and they want $1.99! It's free to vB and built-in, but the user side must pay. I'm gonna try it anyway for testing purposes, but I think it's ridiculous to expect members to fork over 2 bucks to hit the site from a mobile device.

jimnyc
06-23-2012, 09:01 AM
As to option #2 above, Forum Runner... I just went to download the app and they want $1.99! It's free to vB and built-in, but the user side must pay. I'm gonna try it anyway for testing purposes, but I think it's ridiculous to expect members to fork over 2 bucks to hit the site from a mobile device.

I have Forum Runner activated now, and I paid the stinking fee for testing purposes. I have to say though, a LOT easier to get around on the forums from a mobile device! I wish I could pay a monthly fee or something so that anyone that wants the app could download it for free but I don't see that as an option.

If any mobile users have issues, and utilize the site that often while mobile, and don't like the options afforded - let me know and I will pony up the $2 via paypal so that you can enjoy the site from your device.

I'm going to try Tapatalk now, but they push the "branded" version and I'm unsure how good the generic will be. Additionally, it's not native on vB, so I'll have to install it on the back end as well...

jimnyc
06-23-2012, 09:11 AM
Oy, crap!

First off, probably wise to have only FR or Tapatalk active at once. If on a mobile device, when you come to the site it will know and recommend the app. I don't want to know what will happen if both are active. But more importantly, as I've just installed Tapatalk - then before I activated it on the back end, I went to install the app on my tablet first. Damn, those bastards want $2.99!! The good news is, I think if I buy the $3,500 version of the program, it might be free apps for all! LOL Anyone got 3 and a half grand lying around to Paypal me? :coffee:

Well, so now we know the default style for mobile at the bottom is free and no changes. The Forum Runner is built in, and active, but costs $2 for the app, per device. Tapatalk is installed, but NOT active, and is $3 for the app, per device.

I'm hoping the feedback is that the default style at the bottom left is sufficient! LOL I tried that style on my Acer Tablet and it is much more fluid, but I'll wait for our Iphone users to chime in.

Noir
06-27-2012, 10:30 PM
I decided to opt for forum runner, very pleased so far, simple and easy to use, how did I not know of this before!

jimnyc
06-28-2012, 06:47 AM
I decided to opt for forum runner, very pleased so far, simple and easy to use, how did I not know of this before!

If you like it, and you just purchased that solely for this forum, PM me your paypal address and I'll reimburse you.