PDA

View Full Version : Judge orders Utah mom to chop off daughter’s ponytail in courtroom

Shadow
06-24-2012, 07:55 AM
We have had some strange stories in the news lately haven't we?...

A Utah judge told the mother of a 13-year-old girl who chopped off a toddler's long hair in a restaurant that he would reduce her daughter's sentence if she cut off the teenager's own ponytail in court.
District Juvenile Judge Scott Johansen gave Valerie Bruno the option to either cut off her daughter Kaytlen Lopan's long hair "right now" with courtroom scissors or have the teen spend an extra 150 hours in detention as punishment for hacking off the locks of a three-year-old girl she befriended in a McDonald's in Price.
Bruno opted for the haircut but later expressed her anger over the judgment and said that she had filed an official complaint against the judge.
"She definitely needed to be punished for what had happened," she told the Deseret News. "But I never dreamt it would be that much of a punishment."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/24/judge-orders-utah-mom-to-chop-off-daughters-ponytail-in-courtroom/?test=latestnews#ixzz1yiNuQ1gX

Missileman
06-24-2012, 09:20 AM

A Utah judge told the mother of a 13-year-old girl who chopped off a toddler's long hair in a restaurant that he would reduce her daughter's sentence if she cut off the teenager's own ponytail in court.
District Juvenile Judge Scott Johansen gave Valerie Bruno the option to either cut off her daughter Kaytlen Lopan's long hair "right now" with courtroom scissors or have the teen spend an extra 150 hours in detention as punishment for hacking off the locks of a three-year-old girl she befriended in a McDonald's in Price.
Bruno opted for the haircut but later expressed her anger over the judgment and said that she had filed an official complaint against the judge.
"She definitely needed to be punished for what had happened," she told the Deseret News. "But I never dreamt it would be that much of a punishment."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/24/judge-orders-utah-mom-to-chop-off-daughters-ponytail-in-courtroom/?test=latestnews#ixzz1yiNuQ1gX

Seems an ideal example of "let the punishment fit the crime". Also, they better keep a close eye on that 13-year-old. That kind of behavior has been linked to sociopathy.

cadet
06-24-2012, 11:34 AM

So... people brought this stupid thing to court... instead of making that punishment strait off... We can't even make our own parenting decisions... this country is f**ked....

Honestly, this punishment is what i would have done to my kid. Treat others how you would like to be treated...

Shadow
06-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Seems an ideal example of "let the punishment fit the crime". Also, they better keep a close eye on that 13-year-old. That kind of behavior has been linked to sociopathy.

Exactly...This kid is a preditor. And her stupid mother stated that the punishment was too harsh and wouldn't teach her right from wrong. :rolleyes:

Kaytlen also admitted to charges in another case rising from eight months of phone calls she made to a Colorado teen that included threats of rape and mutilation.

Shadow
06-24-2012, 11:43 AM
So... people brought this stupid thing to court... instead of making that punishment strait off... We can't even make our own parenting decisions... this country is f**ked....

Honestly, this punishment is what i would have done to my kid. Treat others how you would like to be treated...

Kid in question already has a history of abuse. Probably a good thing to get this on record.

DragonStryk72
06-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Exactly...This kid is a preditor. And her stupid mother stated that the punishment was too harsh and wouldn't teach her right from wrong. :rolleyes:

Um, she clearly didn't understand that line before she decided to cut off someone else's hair in the middle of a public restaurant.

SassyLady
06-24-2012, 12:56 PM
After reading the story I wondered why the little girl was left alone in a restaurant to be preyed upon by these two young girls. Where was the mother of the victim when all this happened?

I am a firm believer in punishing the perpetrator with the same behavior they exhibited. I do wonder why the judge forced the mother to cut the hair instead of having the court do it? Was he implicitly punishing the mother also for raising a child that participates in this type of behavior?

DragonStryk72
06-24-2012, 01:02 PM
After reading the story I wondered why the little girl was left alone in a restaurant to be preyed upon by these two young girls. Where was the mother of the victim when all this happened?

I am a firm believer in punishing the perpetrator with the same behavior they exhibited. I do wonder why the judge forced the mother to cut the hair instead of having the court do it? Was he implicitly punishing the mother also for raising a child that participates in this type of behavior?

She could have gone to the bathroom for a minute. It said in the article that she "befriended" the toddle before doing this, so it's quite likely that the mom believed her kid was safe for a couple minutes, since there would be someone there to keep an eye out for her.

Shadow
06-26-2012, 07:44 AM
Apparently there are some that frown on this type of thing...

'Shame' Punishments Like Ponytail Cutting Increase

Unconventional sentences that shame defendants — such as walking through town with a humiliating sign or sleeping in a doghouse rather than in a jail — appear to be steadily increasing.And this disturbing trend, according to one legal scholar, is turning state courts into circus shows.
The most recent example occurred in Utah when a 13-year-old girl went to court for cutting a 3-year-old girl's hair into a bob with dollar-store scissors, said Jonathan Turley, a professor at George Washington University.
"These are punishments that often appeal to the public and bring a type of instant gratification for the court," he said.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/shame-punishments-ponytail-cutting-increase-16649447

logroller
06-26-2012, 10:31 AM
It's funny, sure; but I think it's fair too. I don't think it rises to cruel or unusual; so I say, go ahead with it.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-26-2012, 10:50 AM
Is Sharia law gets to be used here a lot of chopping off things will occur. The cut off fingers and hands in Sharia lands. Liberals love Islamists too. Think about that ! Just sayin... -Tyr

DragonStryk72
06-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Apparently there are some that frown on this type of thing...

'Shame' Punishments Like Ponytail Cutting Increase

Unconventional sentences that shame defendants — such as walking through town with a humiliating sign or sleeping in a doghouse rather than in a jail — appear to be steadily increasing.And this disturbing trend, according to one legal scholar, is turning state courts into circus shows.
The most recent example occurred in Utah when a 13-year-old girl went to court for cutting a 3-year-old girl's hair into a bob with dollar-store scissors, said Jonathan Turley, a professor at George Washington University.
"These are punishments that often appeal to the public and bring a type of instant gratification for the court," he said.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/shame-punishments-ponytail-cutting-increase-16649447

Love how the article plays down what occurred, so that it seems like it was harmless innocence. Into a bob? That implies a haircut, as opposed to just chopping off a girl's ponytail in the middle of a restaurant.

DragonStryk72
06-26-2012, 04:12 PM
"I fail to see how the court reducing itself to the level of a 13-year-old teaches a moral let alone legal lesson," Turley said.

******************"The court was doing precisely what the 13-year-old did to a child."****************

"Do unto others, as you would have done unto you". Anyone remember that one, the golden rule? Was the assault on that 3-year old not *humiliating* to that little girl?

The judge did not force the mother to accept his ruling, even, offering the cut ponytail as a counter to an extra 150 hours of punishment, if the perp was willing to go through what her victim went through. Maybe, just maybe, she might learn some damned compassion, knowing now what it feels like to be on the other side of it.

06-26-2012, 04:33 PM
"I fail to see how the court reducing itself to the level of a 13-year-old teaches a moral let alone legal lesson," Turley said.

******************"The court was doing precisely what the 13-year-old did to a child."****************

"Do unto others, as you would have done unto you". Anyone remember that one, the golden rule? Was the assault on that 3-year old not *humiliating* to that little girl?

The judge did not force the mother to accept his ruling, even, offering the cut ponytail as a counter to an extra 150 hours of punishment, if the perp was willing to go through what her victim went through. Maybe, just maybe, she might learn some damned compassion, knowing now what it feels like to be on the other side of it.

I think it's justice. She got what she gave. That's the very definition of justice.

More and more I dont think people understand what justice is.

ConHog
06-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Is Sharia law gets to be used here a lot of chopping off things will occur. The cut off fingers and hands in Sharia lands. Liberals love Islamists too. Think about that ! Just sayin... -Tyr

Another on point post :shakeshead:

Abbey Marie
06-26-2012, 05:39 PM

What bugs me most about this story is that she chose the haircut, then decided to officially complain about it. You made that choice over detention- live with it. :rolleyes:

ConHog
06-26-2012, 05:45 PM
What bugs me most about this story is that she chose the haircut, then decided to officially complain about it. You made that choice over detention- live with it. :rolleyes:

That to me is what makes this acceptable. She was given a choice

Nell's Room
06-26-2012, 10:44 PM
I am sorry, but I have to disagree with this judge. He had no right to request the woman cut her daughters hair over this. At 13, such humiliation could cause serious emotional problems.
The judge should be removed from the bench for this terrible decision - cutting a girls hair, indeed!

He should have made the brat shave her head.:laugh2:

SassyLady
06-26-2012, 11:07 PM
I am sorry, but I have to disagree with this judge. He had no right to request the woman cut her daughters hair over this. At 13, such humiliation could cause serious emotional problems.
The judge should be removed from the bench for this terrible decision - cutting a girls hair, indeed!

He should have made the brat shave her head.:laugh2:

I think she should have had to also do the 150 hours of community service in conjunction with the haircut.

Kathianne
06-26-2012, 11:30 PM

I think that was the other girl who was with her.

SassyLady
06-27-2012, 01:50 AM
I think that was the other girl who was with her.

My understanding was the other girl got to go to salon for haicut, but the one whose mom had to cut hair in court, and then complained, is the one Abbey is talking about.

Nell's Room
06-27-2012, 04:42 AM
I think she should have had to also do the 150 hours of community service in conjunction with the haircut.

I agree with this.

tailfins
06-27-2012, 06:13 AM

The defendant should have been given time to seek legal counsel and consider the decision. It should not have been a pressured snap decision.

Kathianne
06-27-2012, 07:23 AM
My understanding was the other girl got to go to salon for haicut, but the one whose mom had to cut hair in court, and then complained, is the one Abbey is talking about.

My understanding of it too. The girl who had it cut in court, the older one, no choice. My bet is the other girl was a follower, with no record.

Abbey Marie
06-27-2012, 02:13 PM
The defendant should have been given time to seek legal counsel and consider the decision. It should not have been a pressured snap decision.

Why would you need a lawyer to decide between a haircut and community service? It's not a complex choice with legal ramifications. I think you are needlessly complicating the matter and giving it more import than it deserves.

ConHog
06-27-2012, 02:17 PM

The defendant wasn't accompanied to a court by a lawyer? How come? If her mother chose to, tough shit, you don't get to decline having a lawyer present and then complain after sentencing. That's not the way it works.

gabosaurus
06-27-2012, 02:23 PM

So Utah is now overrun by liberals? :rolleyes:

As I have said before, I am all for adapting certain tenets of Sharia law. Especially in regard to convicted rapists and drunk drivers.

ConHog
06-27-2012, 02:25 PM
So Utah is now overrun by liberals? :rolleyes:

As I have said before, I am all for adapting certain tenets of Sharia law. Especially in regard to convicted rapists and drunk drivers.

must be the same liberals who are calling China an ally. :laugh:

gabosaurus
06-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Well, it IS Utah. Kids are taught to obey all of their mothers. :cool:

06-27-2012, 05:55 PM
Well, it IS Utah. Kids are taught to obey all of their mothers.

Is it different outside Utah?:)

ConHog
06-27-2012, 07:19 PM
Is it different outside Utah?:)

I think you missed her use of the plural mothers for a single child. :lol:

gabosaurus
06-27-2012, 08:02 PM
I swear, it goes completely over their pointy little heads sometimes... :p

ConHog
06-27-2012, 08:03 PM
I swear, it goes completely over their pointy little heads sometimes... :p

avatar seems pretty intelligent, I think he just misread.

gabosaurus
06-27-2012, 08:06 PM
I consider avatar to be very intelligent. But that doesn't fit into my endless quest to provide pithy humour.