PDA

View Full Version : America’s Most Corrupt States

Shadow
06-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Earlier this week, the Center for Public Integrity released a report detailing the risk of corruption and lack of accountability in all 50 states. The findings of the report should worry anyone who believes state governments are transparent and free of corruption. Of course, no state is without flaws. Unfortunately, nearly every state received a grade that would give residents cause for concern.
The Center for Public Integrity’s report examined issues concerning accountability and ethics in each state government. States were graded on 330 separate metrics, which were grouped into 14 major categories. Overall grades are based on the average grades in the major categories, which included lobbying disclosure, political financing, internal auditing, ethics enforcement agencies and redistricting.

Most states scored poorly. No state earned an A, and only five states received better than a B+. More than half the states received a D+ or worse. Scored from 1 to 100, eight states earned failing grades of 59 or below from the project.
24/7 Wall St. examined the eight states that received an F and the five states that scored B- or better. A review of the states with the highest and lowest scores illustrates that regular reports on government from citizens, public employees and watchdog groups is essential to encourage state integrity.

Read more: http://www.foxbusiness.com/investing/2012/03/22/americas-most-corrupt-states/#ixzz1yiOkkUtv

revelarts
06-24-2012, 08:50 AM
i'm surprised Louisiana, California and Arkansas didn't make the top 10.
No surprise in Michigan.
I knew my state had some bad spots but but worse than Michigan?!? I need to see the details.
Thanks for posting,

Shadow
06-24-2012, 09:06 AM
This report doesn't say much for the other states either though. None got A's... only 5 got B's...no mention of C's at all. The rest....D+ or below...

cadet
06-24-2012, 11:26 AM
so by corrupt, they mean the people take care of themselves and don't need the gov't to finance them.... I give them all an A, and reverse the order of the poll.

My opinion on corrupt, is needing finance from the gov't, and crime rates.

oh, and California is first, cause they're just a bunch of screwed up dummies. :rolleyes:

Shadow
06-24-2012, 11:36 AM
so by corrupt, they mean the people take care of themselves and don't need the gov't to finance them.... I give them all an A, and reverse the order of the poll.

My opinion on corrupt, is needing finance from the gov't, and crime rates.

oh, and California is first, cause they're just a bunch of screwed up dummies. :rolleyes:

I didn't get that at all. I took away that the reason some of them got good grades at all was because they were so corupt in the past... actions were taken to stop that. Not that they were above coruption and take care of themselves. They are just more accountable now. It's probably one giant circle where all states take a turn.

Kathianne
06-24-2012, 05:04 PM
I really like Randy Barnett, so I'm sure I'm missing something here. Too tired and hot right now to look into the methodology. However, since that list does not include IL, NJ, or CA, something is very wrong. Indeed, some of those states that are listed are those where the people actually like their government. My guess, based upon some info in the article is that there just isn't much info that people are clamoring to get, so the 'offices' of such and such do not exist.

States like IL, people have been trying to 'reform' for over 100 years, there's a department of everything, but no end that leads to conclusions.

ConHog
06-24-2012, 05:04 PM
i'm surprised Louisiana, California and Arkansas didn't make the top 10.
No surprise in Michigan.
I knew my state had some bad spots but but worse than Michigan?!? I need to see the details.
Thanks for posting,

Huh?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-24-2012, 05:16 PM
I really like Randy Barnett, so I'm sure I'm missing something here. Too tired and hot right now to look into the methodology. However, since that list does not include IL, NJ, or CA, something is very wrong. Indeed, some of those states that are listed are those where the people actually like their government. My guess, based upon some info in the article is that there just isn't much info that people are clamoring to get, so the 'offices' of such and such do not exist.

States like IL, people have been trying to 'reform' for over 100 years, there's a department of everything, but no end that leads to conclusions.

Agreed because Chicago , IL. has the most corrupt political machine( the Daley machine) in the nation and has been like since it's creation.
Too much not considered for the list to be very accurate. So I'll dismiss it out of hand myself.-Tyr

ConHog
06-24-2012, 07:55 PM
I've read the article and think that maybe some here aren't looking at it from the perspective of the criteria the author used. Good list when looked at that way.

Abbey Marie
06-24-2012, 08:17 PM
Good thing D.C. isn't a state, or it would have swept the categories. :laugh:

ConHog
06-24-2012, 08:19 PM
Good thing D.C. isn't a sate, or it would have swept the categories. :laugh:

I don't think they can even give a FF can they?

fj1200
06-27-2012, 09:44 AM
I've read the article and think that maybe some here aren't looking at it from the perspective of the criteria the author used. Good list when looked at that way.

Then they are defining it incorrectly. You can come up with anything if you choose your measurements carefully. But any list that has GA number one and IL not even in the top 8 in corruption is specious.

ConHog
06-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Then they are defining it incorrectly. You can come up with anything if you choose your measurements carefully. But any list that has GA number one and IL not even in the top 8 in corruption is specious.

Not specious, just using different criteria FJ. Certainly not the criteria I would use, but it's their article so they set the criteria as they see fit.

Just more proof that opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

fj1200
06-27-2012, 01:07 PM
Not specious, just using different criteria FJ. Certainly not the criteria I would use, but it's their article so they set the criteria as they see fit.

Just more proof that opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

I stand by my judgement. How many GA governors are in jail vs. IL? When you miss the obvious your criteria is suspect.

ConHog
06-27-2012, 01:13 PM
I stand by my judgement. How many GA governors are in jail vs. IL? When you miss the obvious your criteria is suspect.

Not suspect, just slanted; and that's the way of the world. No doubt whoever wrote this article set down and said " I want THESE states at the top of my list, how can I make that happen?"

fj1200
06-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Not suspect, just slanted; and that's the way of the world. No doubt whoever wrote this article set down and said " I want THESE states at the top of my list, how can I make that happen?"

Earlier this week, the Center for Public Integrity released a report detailing the risk of corruption and lack of accountability in all 50 states.

Read more: America’s Most Corrupt States - 24/7 Wall St. (http://247wallst.com/2012/03/22/americas-most-corrupt-states/#ixzz1z1Emb4kk) http://247wallst.com/2012/03/22/americas-most-corrupt-states/#ixzz1z1Emb4kk

If a comparison of the risk of corruption vs. actual corruption doesn't match up then your criteria is suspect IMO.

ConHog
06-27-2012, 01:24 PM
If a comparison of the risk of corruption vs. actual corruption doesn't match up then your criteria is suspect IMO.

Hey, I'm not defending the guy's list, only his right to use his own criteria. don't like the list, then give it its due weight, I know I did.