PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry

5stringJeff
05-23-2007, 09:25 AM
So, while I was cleaning out some old e-mails yesterday, I came across one from a few years ago regarding my genealogy. So I decided to find a family tree application to see how much I could find out. That was at 1 PM yesterday. At 2:30 AM this morning, I could barely keep my eyes open. This stuff is like meth - I quit caring about anything else but genealogy!

When I finally turned it off, I had tracked down every single great-grandparent, and all but 2 sets of g-g-grandparents. I traced my family name to TN in 1799, with an unverified link to VA all the way to ~1660. I traced various other family members from TX to AR, AL, SC, NC, GA, and MD. I found three Confederate privates in my family line (pedigree is apparently the proper term for this) and one Union cavalry LT, who was of Choctaw blood. I'm not so sure how far back the records can be accurately verified, but I found about eight different ancestors from England, mostly from the Sussex and Surrey areas. I can claim to being a 14th generation native-born American and a fourth generation native-born Texan.

Anyway, if you've got the time some weekend, and are interested, try out ancestry.com. They'll give you a free three-day trial of unlimited database searching, which is what I got involved in.

05-23-2007, 02:22 PM
once you start you cant stop:)

gabosaurus
05-23-2007, 02:42 PM
My dad has little interest in genealogy. Neither does my husband's family.
My mom's family, on the other hand, has charted everything. I saw it when I visited family members in Germany. We are Germans and Prussians and such going back to the 14th Century or so.

Doniston
05-23-2007, 03:21 PM
My dad has little interest in genealogy. Neither does my husband's family.
My mom's family, on the other hand, has charted everything. I saw it when I visited family members in Germany. We are Germans and Prussians and such going back to the 14th Century or so.Me too, I even got to see the ruins of our ancestrial Castle on the Banks of the Rhine. (The Barnhart Castle.) I was cruising down the river on Hitler's Barg. (1949)

glockmail
05-23-2007, 04:05 PM
So, while I was cleaning out some old e-mails yesterday, I came across one from a few years ago regarding my genealogy. So I decided to find a family tree application to see how much I could find out. That was at 1 PM yesterday. At 2:30 AM this morning, I could barely keep my eyes open. This stuff is like meth - I quit caring about anything else but genealogy!

When I finally turned it off, I had tracked down every single great-grandparent, and all but 2 sets of g-g-grandparents. I traced my family name to TN in 1799, with an unverified link to VA all the way to ~1660. I traced various other family members from TX to AR, AL, SC, NC, GA, and MD. I found three Confederate privates in my family line (pedigree is apparently the proper term for this) and one Union cavalry LT, who was of Choctaw blood. I'm not so sure how far back the records can be accurately verified, but I found about eight different ancestors from England, mostly from the Sussex and Surrey areas. I can claim to being a 14th generation native-born American and a fourth generation native-born Texan.

Anyway, if you've got the time some weekend, and are interested, try out ancestry.com. They'll give you a free three-day trial of unlimited database searching, which is what I got involved in.

I signed up for 2 months and got nothing.

Mr. P
05-23-2007, 04:13 PM
I signed up for 2 months and got nothing.

Really, Glock? Nothing?

glockmail
05-23-2007, 04:21 PM
Really, Glock? Nothing? Zero. And I plugged in a slew of known stuff dating back to the 1860s- a complete waste of time.

Mr. P
05-23-2007, 04:34 PM
Zero. And I plugged in a slew of known stuff dating back to the 1860s- a complete waste of time.

Wow..maybe yer alien? Mars, Venus? :poke:

glockmail
05-23-2007, 04:36 PM
Wow..maybe yer alien? Mars, Venus? :poke: Well I do look like a god of Mars, and my wife does look like Venus. :dance:

Nienna
05-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Wow! That would be SO cool! Unfortunately, I don't have that much time at my disposal. :(

Very cool, though, Jeff! :)

JLO
05-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the info. I so need to do that. People are always telling me that I look like I am Indian. That would be awesome if I was! I could get my college education paid for.

glockmail
05-23-2007, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the info. I so need to do that. People are always telling me that I look like I am Indian. That would be awesome if I was! I could get my college education paid for. My guess is that you've some % of asian-exotic, or possibly mid-east.