PDA

View Full Version : $80B a year for food stamps, but feds won’t reveal what’s purchased

jimnyc
06-25-2012, 01:01 PM
This welfare crap needs a major beating and overhaul. It's abused by the recipients and now grossly abused by this administration. It's always been a problem, IMO, but has literally skyrocketed in the past 3-4 years.

Americans spend $80 billion each year financing food stamps for the poor, but the country has no idea where or how the money is spent.

Food stamps can be spent on goods ranging from candy to steak and are accepted at retailers from gas stations that primarily sell potato chips to fried-chicken restaurants. And as the amount spent on food stamps has more than doubled in recent years, the amount of food stamps laundered into cash has increased dramatically, government statistics show.

But the government won’t say which stores are doing the most business in food stamps, and even it doesn’t know what kinds of food those taxpayer dollars buy.

Coinciding with lobbying by convenience stores, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which administers the program in conjunction with states, contends that disclosing how much each store authorized to accept benefits, known as the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP), receives in taxpayer funds would amount to revealing trade secrets.

As a result, fraud is hard to track and the efficacy of the massive program is impossible to evaluate.

As the House debates the once-every-five-years farm bill, the majority of which goes to food stamps, there is a renewed and fervent call from a broad spectrum of camps that the information - some of the most high-dollar, frequently requested and closely held secrets of the government - be set free.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jun/24/top-secret-what-food-stamps-buy/

logroller
06-25-2012, 01:15 PM
This welfare crap needs a major beating and overhaul. It's abused by the recipients and now grossly abused by this administration. It's always been a problem, IMO, but has literally skyrocketed in the past 3-4 years.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jun/24/top-secret-what-food-stamps-buy/
"trade secrets":rolleyes: Is that the market expression for of executive privilege on matters of national security?

jimnyc
06-25-2012, 01:18 PM
"trade secrets":rolleyes: Is that the market expression for of executive privilege on matters of national security?

Yeah right! I don't care who's in the WH, the funding for these things and what is paid for and what is bought, should be public knowledge, being it's OUR money being spent.

ConHog
06-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Yeah right! I don't care who's in the WH, the funding for these things and what is paid for and what is bought, should be public knowledge, being it's OUR money being spent.

so do you want an actual breakdown of every single dollar spent? Or just more a general overview?

I'd be more interested ina breakdown of Congressional waste than I would welfare.

logroller
06-25-2012, 04:36 PM
so do you want an actual breakdown of every single dollar spent? Or just more a general overview?

I'd be more interested ina breakdown of Congressional waste than I would welfare.
I think it would be worth knowin if they're buying potatoes or potato chips, for example. I found it very telling that convenience stores were specifically mentioned as opponents; because really, that's a piss poor place to spend money to feed ones family, financially speaking as well as dietary. The former being a tangible public interest if the people are footin the bill.

ConHog
06-25-2012, 05:01 PM
I think it would be worth knowin if they're buying potatoes or potato chips, for example. I found it very telling that convenience stores were specifically mentioned as opponents; because really, that's a piss poor place to spend money to feed ones family, financially speaking as well as dietary. The former being a tangible public interest if the people are footin the bill.

I agree Log, and I think it's fair to say that most people on foodstamps aren't as value conscience as they should be. I just wonder what good it would do to add another level of data collection to the program.

Myself, I think we should dump all the programs anyway. Simple workfare instead of welfare CASH payments, spend it on whatever you want, but there isn't more if you waste it.

logroller
06-25-2012, 05:07 PM
I agree Log, and I think it's fair to say that most people on foodstamps aren't as value conscience as they should be. I just wonder what good it would do to add another level of data collection to the program.

Myself, I think we should dump all the programs anyway. Simple workfare instead of welfare CASH payments, spend it on whatever you want, but there isn't more if you waste it.

Well I'm all for jobs being created; I suppose even works corps.

ConHog
06-25-2012, 05:15 PM
Well I'm all for jobs being created; I suppose even works corps.

I favor local governments putting people to work in exchange for welfare. Every community needs streets cleaned, etc etc.

Dilloduck
06-25-2012, 07:37 PM
I think it's supposed to be an economic stimulus that goes through peoples digestive tract. Problem is that too much of it stays in there. Another backfire .

CSM
06-26-2012, 06:49 AM

Congressional waste= 100 Senate seats and 400 some odd seats in the House.