PDA

View Full Version : Sponsor a cop! Public services the new ad space?

logroller
06-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Faced with declining revenues, many cities have taken to allowing private businesses to place advertisements upon things like filled potholes and fire hydrants. Potholes seem benign, though im reminded of Cramer on seinfeld when he adopted a highway and widened the lanes. :laugh:

Some other suggestions clearly risk impropriety, cop cars and school buses, for example. Article here (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/25/us/cities-consider-selling-ads-as-economic-lifelines.html?pagewanted=all). I don't like taxes, but I'm not sure I want pizza hut delivering my kids home either...upside, its free if it takes over a 30 minutes.

jimnyc
06-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Faced with declining revenues, many cities have taken to allowing private businesses to place advertisements upon things like filled potholes and fire hydrants. Potholes seem benign, though im reminded of Cramer on seinfeld when he adopted a highway and widened the lanes. :laugh:

Some other suggestions clearly risk impropriety, cop cars and school buses, for example. Article here (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/25/us/cities-consider-selling-ads-as-economic-lifelines.html?pagewanted=all). I don't like taxes, but I'm not sure I want pizza hut delivering my kids home either...upside, its free if it takes over a 30 minutes.

Awesome episode, Kramer driving very slowly down the highway with a can of paint, painting in new lane patterns and the cars all going crazy behind him. Then you heard the news broadcast in the background talking about a major traffic pile up! :lol:

logroller
06-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Awesome episode, Kramer driving very slowly down the highway with a can of paint, painting in new lane patterns and the cars all going crazy behind him. Then you heard the news broadcast in the background talking about a major traffic pile up! :lol:

Maybe they move the bus stop to in front of dominos pizza. Or KFC schedules major repairs to the roads surrounding competing restaurants. McD's counters by painting a path of golden arches leading to every McDonald's. I think about it and rice a roni still advertises on San Fran's cable cars... Its the San Francisco treat! But what about school buses? Part of me says who cares, but another part of me thinks it's crap. I pay 1.5% property tax already; so in a way I'd be subsidizing that company's ads. Just seems illegit!