PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Is Looking To Be Interesting

Kathianne
06-25-2012, 09:14 PM
I think the Republicans are making a mistake on the contempt vote, but seems they are determined to create a terrible, awful day.

Cockiness does tend to cause grief, as Rev said on another thread. This makes me less certain of health care and contempt vote:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/reports-holder-contempt-vote-held-thursday-234252809.html

Holder contempt vote to be held Thursday: reports<cite class="byline vcard">By Laura E. Davis | The Ticket (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/) – <abbr title="2012-06-25T23:42:52Z">1 hr 38 mins ago</abbr></cite>

<!-- START article --> <!-- yog-5u -->
Sources tell the Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/2chambers/post/eric-holder-fast-and-furious-contempt-vote-to-be-held-thursday/2012/06/25/gJQAefHY2V_blog.html) and CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/25/politics/holder-contempt/index.html) that the U.S. House has scheduled a vote for Thursday on whether to hold Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt of Congress. Holder is under fire for failing to turn over documents related to Operation Fast and Furious, the failed gun-walking program (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/parents-slain-border-agent-brian-terry-blast-obama-202238217.html) that's under investigation.
Last week, the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee voted 23 to 17 along party lines to hold Holder in contempt (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/committee-votes-hold-eric-holder-contempt-over-fast-202646073.html), despite President Barack Obama's invocation (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/obama-invokes-executive-privilege-holder-faces-contempt-vote-143710603.html), for the first time in his presidency, of executive privilege to withhold the documents.

Both the Washington Post and CNN report that if the House cites Holder for contempt, it will be the first time in history that a U.S. attorney general is held in contempt of Congress.

A vote on Thursday would make for a busy day in Washington: It would be the same day that the U.S. Supreme Court is expected to rule on Obama's health care law.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-25-2012, 09:19 PM
I think the Republicans are making a mistake on the contempt vote, but seems they are determined to create a terrible, awful day.

Cockiness does tend to cause grief, as Rev said on another thread. This makes me less certain of health care and contempt vote:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/reports-holder-contempt-vote-held-thursday-234252809.html

Forget Thursday, tonight looks to be interesting to me, the wife just came into the living room fresh from the shower in her birthday suit asking who just phoned. I just love it when I "accidently" call our home phone while posting here!
She never fails to rush in here to find out if it's her family from the Philippines calling. :laugh2:-Tyr

Kathianne
06-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Forget Thursday, tonight looks to be interesting to me, the wife just came into the living room fresh from the shower in her birthday suit asking who just phoned. I just love it when I "accidently" call our home phone while posting here!
She never fails to rush in here to find out if it's her family from the Philippines calling. :laugh2:-Tyr

That's a derail, a funny derail though. Now what's really interesting if you are still online when I finish posting this. :cool:

ringotuna
06-26-2012, 05:20 AM
I recall from 'All the Presidents Men" Jason Robards portraying Ben Bradlee of the Washington Post, when he said something like this. "We're about to accuse the second most powerful man in the government of being a crook...It would be nice if we were right"

Holder's ATF denied they were engaged in gun walking. They retracted that claim after whistle blower ATF agents testified otherwise.

Holder denied any knowledge of the operation prior to the border agent's murder. Internal ATF memo's proved he was lying.

Holder attempted to convince Congress that e-mails which made explicit reference to both Wide Receiver and Fast and Furious were only about Wide Receiver.

ATF also had to retract Holder's claim that Bush Administration officials had been briefed on gun walking operations. I saw as a momentous attempt at a "Yabbutt Bush" defense. A distraction from the issues before the committee.

I'd say this, along with Holder's refusal to produce documents, merits a good case against him for the contempt charges. But it is indeed a risky political gambit. Until recently (from what I've seen) the only response from critics has been to stomp their foot and scream "Political Witch hunt" but now we see them focusing on this whole conspiracy theory business. Watch for the liberal media to start pushing a "crazy right wing conspiracy theories" talking point.

Vote for Ringo.

mundame
06-27-2012, 08:56 AM
Thursday is also a big European Union summit meeting "over there," which may move the market one way or another. Agreed, it may be a big news day.

And of course the Air Force Academy may burn down with the wildfires in Colorado Springs.

red states rule
06-27-2012, 04:19 PM

I do not think they are Kat. A Border agnet was murdered due to this gun walking program, and if the docs that are being withheld would prove Holder innocent - why would the DOJ not release them?

Also there are some Dems breaking and going to vote for the contempt motion (it is up to 5 I believe)

It looks like Obama and Holdr have something to hide - and I would like to know what and why

aboutime
06-27-2012, 10:01 PM
I believe Obama, Holder, and the Dems who stand behind them are DOOMED now.

All of them HOPED nothing would CHANGE insofar as Americans remaining totally dumb.

BUT. the Internet, and the 24-7 news cycle on Cable/Satellite TV have now made the former Uneducated, Dumber Americans the Dems depended upon...much smarter.

And that means. OBAMA-HOLDER-DEMS...are up against something they cannot FIGHT.

logroller
06-27-2012, 10:10 PM
Thursday is also a big European Union summit meeting "over there," which may move the market one way or another. Agreed, it may be a big news day.

And of course the Air Force Academy may burn down with the wildfires in Colorado Springs.

Speaking of over there, Germany plays Italy for the finals spot against Spain. Should be a good game. Today's sucked...penalty kick wins leave much to b desired.

Kathianne
06-27-2012, 11:41 PM
I do not think they are Kat. A Border agnet was murdered due to this gun walking program, and if the docs that are being withheld would prove Holder innocent - why would the DOJ not release them?

Also there are some Dems breaking and going to vote for the contempt motion (it is up to 5 I believe)

It looks like Obama and Holdr have something to hide - and I would like to know what and why

They are going to win the contempt vote, probably with more Dems than I would have thought a couple days ago. Still if health care gets booted in whole or part, THAT will be the story, as it should be. To have waited for Holder until Tues or Wed, would have created a second BIG kick, however the Reps seem to be hoping for both in one day.

Thunderknuckles
06-28-2012, 12:33 AM
They are going to win the contempt vote, probably with more Dems than I would have thought a couple days ago. Still if health care gets booted in whole or part, THAT will be the story, as it should be. To have waited for Holder until Tues or Wed, would have created a second BIG kick, however the Reps seem to be hoping for both in one day.

I don't think we will hear a word about Holder tomorrow. Everyone is waiting with baited breath on the Obamacare ruling.

Kathianne
06-28-2012, 12:41 AM
I don't think we will hear a word about Holder tomorrow. Everyone is waiting with baited breath on the Obamacare ruling.

If you follow the news, you'll hear about it. He will be held in contempt, with or without Democrats. I agree thought that the health care ruling by SCOTUS, whatever it is, will be the top story and this will be quiet in comparison. THAT was my point about a cockiness mistake.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/25/politics/holder-contempt/index.html

Washington (CNN) -- The U.S. House is expected to vote this week for the first time in history to cite a sitting U.S. attorney general for contempt of Congress, a GOP leadership aide told CNN on Monday.

The vote is scheduled for Thursday, said the source, who was not authorized to speak on the record.

The House Oversight Committee recommended the vote against Attorney General Eric Holder last week after he refused to hand over all of the requested documents in its investigation of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms' controversial Fast and Furious gun-running sting.

The vote came after President Barack Obama asserted executive privilege over some documents sought by the panel. The White House move means the Department of Justice can withhold some of the documents.

House Oversight Committee chairman Rep. Darrell Issa said Sunday that Obama's invocation of executive privilege is either "over broad, or simply wrong."

red states rule
06-28-2012, 02:23 AM

They may have put off the vote to get a few more Dem votes

But it is nice to give the Obama and the Obama re-election team a double whamy.

Kathianne
06-28-2012, 02:56 AM
They may have put off the vote to get a few more Dem votes

But it is nice to give the Obama and the Obama re-election team a double whamy.

The impact of the Holder contempt of Congress vote will be muted. Next week it would have been a lead story. The Republicans played into the hand of the administration.

red states rule
06-28-2012, 03:05 AM
The impact of the Holder contempt of Congress vote will be muted. Next week it would have been a lead story. The Republicans played into the hand of the administration.

Perhaps.

The liberal media can put all their energy into trashing the USSC if Obamacare is struck down - but the USAG will still be held in contempt of Congress

and the temper tantrum by the liberal media and Obama supporters will not change that fact

Kathianne
06-28-2012, 03:08 AM
Perhaps.

The liberal media can put all their energy into trashing the USSC if Obamacare is struck down - but the USAG will still be held in contempt of Congress

and the temper tantrum by the liberal media and Obama supporters will not change that fact

and if by some reason Obamacare is upheld, this will be portrayed as a fallback measure.

red states rule
06-28-2012, 03:11 AM
and if by some reason Obamacare is upheld, this will be portrayed as a fallback measure.

If Obamacre is upheld then nothing else matters

We the people are screwed since the USSC would have given the Federal government unlimited power and authority over the people

Kathianne
06-28-2012, 03:44 AM
If Obamacre is upheld then nothing else matters

We the people are screwed since the USSC would have given the Federal government unlimited power and authority over the people

Only on Thursday, there are still the issues that the people disagree with. By Tues, Holder would have been news.