PDA

View Full Version : For a housewife trying to work out her family budget, the course is now clear

Little-Acorn
06-28-2012, 12:31 PM
When your neighbor is struggling with the family budget, trying to figure out how much of what kind of foods to cut to pay for Billy's tuition next year or Sally's dress and shoes, it's now clear what she must do if she wants to minimize expenditures in other areas.

The penalty (sorry, it is now a "tax") for not signing up for Obamacare will be much lower than the premiums she'll have to pay if she does sign up. And Obamacare requires that, if she waits until someone is actually sick or injured before signing up, the insurance company must take the sick person despite what is now a "pre-existing condition".

So, what the struggling housewife should do, is clear: She should drop all health insurance. And simply pay the lower amount, the "tax" for not signing up.

Then, if and when somebody in her household gets sick, she should sign up then. The insurance company must take her and pay for the treatments for the sickness. She will pay their (higher) premiums until the sick person is cured. And then she can drop the insurance coverage, and go back to paying the "lower) "tax" instead.

Repeat as necessary.

Anybody see any holes in this idea? She can definitely feed her family better this way, than by remaining permanently signed up for insurance.

Why do any of us need to be signed up for insurance any more, before we actually need medical treatment?

Comment?

Kathianne
06-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Indeed, what the 'tax' now does is penalize the working poor. Those that do not have health care insurance through employer or cannot afford private, will be those taxed. The 'poorest' have and will have medicaid, not so those that work, but are underemployed.

That is what the GOP must use starting today, as the work up legislation to defund the disaster.

Thunderknuckles
06-28-2012, 01:19 PM
Do we know what amount the tax will be or how it is calculated?
I'm paying about $800/month for insurance now. I'd sure like to pocket most of that and sign back up only when I need it :)

Kathianne
06-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Do we know what amount the tax will be or how it is calculated?
I'm paying about $800/month for insurance now. I'd sure like to pocket most of that and sign back up only when I need it :)

if memory serves, it's like 1%

CSM
06-28-2012, 01:55 PM

$285 or 1% for 2014 whichever is greater. Goes to $2,085 or 2.5% in 2016. After that, with Congress's expanded powers who knows how high it will go.

Kathianne
06-28-2012, 01:58 PM
$285 or 1% for 2014 whichever is greater. Goes to $2,085 or 2.5% in 2016. After that, with Congress's expanded powers who knows how high it will go.

I saw your original post, after I posted. In any case, won't matter. Lots of folks are not going to be able to pay, when government garnishes their paltry checks, they'll stop working. Seriously.

Thunderknuckles
06-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Whoa! $2,085 after 2016? At that rate, the poor will undoubtedly be forced to buy a government sponsored health plan creating an even greater dependency class in this country. Not to mention, securing a (D) vote in every election going forward.

Kathianne
06-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Whoa! $2,085 after 2016? At that rate, the poor will undoubtedly be forced to buy a government sponsored health plan creating an even greater dependency class in this country. Not to mention, securing a (D) vote in every election going forward.

Won't happen, there are people that will NOT be able to pay and they won't be able to pay the penalties either. When the gov't puts liens or garnishes wages, the WILL stop working.

Little-Acorn
06-28-2012, 04:26 PM
$285 or 1%

$2,085 or 2.5%

I just love this new math, don't you? No wonder people think Obamacare is "affordable". :D

Roo
06-28-2012, 06:25 PM

I think you're right....its somewhere between 1-3.