PDA

View Full Version : 7 prime spots for wildlife viewing

Shadow
06-30-2012, 10:43 AM
Anyone interested in Seeking vacation spots rife with wildlife? Looks like NM made the list again. :)

(CNN) -- A massive herd of caribou grazes the Arctic tundra. Sea birds fatten up on shellfish along the Chesapeake Bay before flying thousands of miles to winter in South America. A pod of orca glide past Pacific islands blanketed in fir and cedar as they hunt for salmon.
Few sights are more awe-inspiring than mass movements of animals instinctively traveling the path forged by the millions of their kind that came before them. Summer is prime time for wildlife viewing, the season when you'll catch birds and animals tending their young and storing up energy before their fall migrations to winter feeding and breeding grounds.
Here are seven jaw-dropping places in the United States to spot amazing creatures as they prepare for journeys large and small.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/27/travel/summer-wildlife-viewing/index.html?hpt=hp_bn10

Roo
06-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Anyone interested in Seeking vacation spots rife with wildlife? Looks like NM made the list again. :)

(CNN) -- A massive herd of caribou grazes the Arctic tundra. Sea birds fatten up on shellfish along the Chesapeake Bay before flying thousands of miles to winter in South America. A pod of orca glide past Pacific islands blanketed in fir and cedar as they hunt for salmon.
Few sights are more awe-inspiring than mass movements of animals instinctively traveling the path forged by the millions of their kind that came before them. Summer is prime time for wildlife viewing, the season when you'll catch birds and animals tending their young and storing up energy before their fall migrations to winter feeding and breeding grounds.
Here are seven jaw-dropping places in the United States to spot amazing creatures as they prepare for journeys large and small.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/27/travel/summer-wildlife-viewing/index.html?hpt=hp_bn10

A couple of years ago I headed up toward the South Dakota/Nebraska line to Bass Fish..came around a corner as I neared the damn....7 Bald Eagles sitting in 1 tree....it was breathtaking.

Anytime a Pheasant breaks cover...exploding from the earth into a sound and sight EVERYONE needs to experience.

Hunting in Iowa in late december...came around a corner in a blinding snow storm to see several Buffalo in a farmers field...he was rasing them.....covered in snow, standing asses to the wind....one was right by the fence.

I walked over to the picture....it was amazing.

I turned to walk back to my friends truck...and promptly slipped on the ice. I hit the back of my head first and went out for a few seconds...he didn't even know it had happpened. Still got 2 birds after that ;)

Yes I had a concussion.

jimnyc
06-30-2012, 11:25 AM
A couple of years ago I headed up toward the South Dakota/Nebraska line to Bass Fish..came around a corner as I neared the damn....7 Bald Eagles sitting in 1 tree....it was breathtaking.

Anytime a Pheasant breaks cover...exploding from the earth into a sound and sight EVERYONE needs to experience.

Hunting in Iowa in late december...came around a corner in a blinding snow storm to see several Buffalo in a farmers field...he was rasing them.....covered in snow, standing asses to the wind....one was right by the fence.

I turned to walk back to my friends truck...and promptly slipped on the ice. I hit the back of my head first and went out for a few seconds...he didn't even know it had happpened. Still got 2 birds after that ;)

Yes I had a concussion.

I wish I could see that stuff here in Lower NY. I saw a few mice in my house over the past few years (ok, tons of them). And once I went over to the East River in Manhattan and saw a few dead fish float on by! :lol:

Florida has always been my vacation spot growing up and I've seen a lot of cool animals there. Mostly gators, but you won't soon forget them if you're on an air boat and that sucker is just a few feet away. And snakes, they're everywhere in Florida, as well as a billion lizards.

Shadow
06-30-2012, 11:25 AM

Yes I had a concussion.

Sounds great...minus the concussion of course ;)

Love the big birds of prey. Here in NM you used to see a lot more of them out in the open than you do now...I still run across hawks quite a bit though. Had one perched in my front tree awhile back...watched him from my front window for quite awhile.

Several years ago when I lived in San Clemente, CA I worked for a country club (golf). Used to start at 5:30 am...get off around 1:00/2:00 pm. I could not believe the critters you would see out and about. Everything you could imagine. Coyotes,possum,quail,racoon,ducks,deer,sea gulls,magpies,geese etc....it was very cool. Didn't particularly like the snakes though....especially the rattlers (saw some pretty big ones)

jimnyc
06-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Love the big birds of prey.

They just had a convention in Ct. of solely those birds from around the world. I wanted to go but missed out.

At a zoo in Columbia SC near where my Dad has a house, they have a HUGE vulture there. I've never seen one of them up close. That's an awesome looking, yet scary bird!

Shadow
06-30-2012, 11:37 AM
I wish I could see that stuff here in Lower NY. I saw a few mice in my house over the past few years (ok, tons of them). And once I went over to the East River in Manhattan and saw a few dead fish float on by! :lol:

Florida has always been my vacation spot growing up and I've seen a lot of cool animals there. Mostly gators, but you won't soon forget them if you're on an air boat and that sucker is just a few feet away. And snakes, they're everywhere in Florida, as well as a billion lizards.

Ever eat gator? I hear it's popular in Texas...I think they even have gator festivals during the year.

Short drive from San Clemente CA..to Dana Point harbor...you can take a boat trip out and see sea lions...sometimes dolphins too. :thumb:

Shadow
06-30-2012, 11:43 AM
They just had a convention in Ct. of solely those birds from around the world. I wanted to go but missed out.

At a zoo in Columbia SC near where my Dad has a house, they have a HUGE vulture there. I've never seen one of them up close. That's an awesome looking, yet scary bird!

Sometimes they bring the Birds of Prey to the NM state fair... wildlife rescues mostly. I have seen them a couple times. Usually just eagles and hawks though. I have seen the vultures in the zoo. very big!

jimnyc
06-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Ever eat gator? I hear it's popular in Texas...I think they even have gator festivals during the year.

Short drive from San Clemente CA..to Dana Point harbor...you can take a boat trip out and see sea lions...sometimes dolphins too. :thumb:

Never ate gator. I'd say it sounds gross, but I eat sardines and my wife vomits just smelling it! :lol:

Sometimes they bring the Birds of Prey to the NM state fair... wildlife rescues mostly. I have seen them a couple times. Usually just eagles and hawks though. I have seen the vultures in the zoo. very big!

ANY of them up close is a treat. People don't realize just how big some of these birds can get until they are up close. And as much as I love the ugly and hugest of birds, there is nothing that compares to a Bald Eagle up close. Well, maybe a Pterodactyl.

Shadow
06-30-2012, 12:20 PM

Yes I had a concussion.

When I was in college...we used to drive to Clovis...stop at the store and buy bread,carrots and grapes. Then visit this little tiny zoo they had there and feed the animals. They had a few buffalo there...they are HUGE (they love bread...gross black tongues though...blah) :). They also were home to some Elk...they are pretty darn big creatures too BTW

aboutime
06-30-2012, 12:31 PM

All of us should enjoy seeing Wildlife in it's own habitat, wherever we go.
Thanks for bringing it up to the author of this thread.
Unfortunately. Humankind on the East Coast has become the standard, most populated version of WILDLIFE many of us get to see on a daily basis these days.
That Wildlife is now in the form of ROAD RAGE IDIOTS, who seem to just be Lucky they are able to get from point A, to point B. without killing themselves, or total strangers as they talk on their cell-phones, and text while running red-lights (which mean nothing), or cutting off other drivers (since rear-view mirrors are primarily used for fixing Makeup).

The entire nation has become a great source of Human Wildlife, brainless, dumb, and possibly YOU, or YOUR NEIGHBOR.

Dilloduck
06-30-2012, 01:16 PM
NM gots bears---I seen one.

Dilloduck
06-30-2012, 01:21 PM

Yes I had a concussion.

Those damn pheasants used to scare the shit out of me as a kid. We'd be playing at my Grandpa's farm and they would pop up about 2 feet away from us. That's when I decided that learning to hunt would be cool.

Shadow
06-30-2012, 02:03 PM
NM gots bears---I seen one.

And Buffalo. ;)

Dilloduck
06-30-2012, 02:39 PM
And Buffalo. ;)

oh ya---live ones too !

sundaydriver
07-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Tonight I watched two Blue Herons circle above as they looked for the best place to land in the creek behind the house. Foe the past several years I only have seen one at a time fishing. Real nice watching those long legged birds circle for maybe two minutes. Early yesterday morning I watched as a doe brought her three fawns into my yard to show them where to find the feed I put out during hard times and then down under the apple trees to show where something sweet will be come fall, as I've watched several generations before do the same. If I would walk about a hundred yards right now I would see maybe a dozen deer in with the horses and maybe the turkeys heading for roost along the pasture.

My workplace in New Jersey sits on the Delware River. We have a picnic area out back overlooking the river where we set up an nest 80" above the ground to keep the Osprey's of the power lines. Bald Eagle are seen closeup weekly, Fox that will walk right by you and pay no special attention to you, a pack of six Coyotes, occasional bear and some of the nicest bucks in the area.

I don't know why someone would complain that they only see dumb people driving on the East Cost when there is so much else to see if they only looked! :slap:

Shadow
07-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Ran across this story...and since we were talking about birds of prey decided to post it. It would be quite a sight to have tow bald eagles steal your fish right from your line as you were realing them in. :)

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/HWxISVrG0IKgwsFjQQdXwg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/thesideshow/RickWarrenEagle.jpg (http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/thesideshow/RickWarrenEagle.jpg)
A bald eagle swoops down onto Bruce Huntley's fishing line. (RickWarren/Bellingham Herald)Fishing buddies Bruce Huntley and Rick Warren were enjoying a relaxing day on Washington's Lake Padden. Huntley was reeling in one of the lake's rainbow trout when a massive, 6-foot bald eagle swept down from the skies and stole Huntley's catch directly off his fishing line."I noticed the eagle had been watching us from the tree, did one circle, went right over his head. I yelled 'watch out,' Warren told Yahoo News in a phone interview.
Warren, an aspiring photographer, says he'd heard stories of birds stealing fish from humans on Lake Padden, but neither he nor Huntley had ever seen anything quite like the bold eagle that literally snapped Huntley's fishing line and flew off with his catch.
"He was a little shocked," Warren said of Huntley's reaction. "He said you could almost feel the compression coming off the wings, less than a foot from his face."
"He came out of the tree and scared the holy bejesus out of me," Huntley told the Bellingham Herald (http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2012/07/01/2584157/bald-eagle-snatches-fishermans.html).
About a week later, Huntley and Warren returned to the lake and attempted to recreate the scene. At first, Huntley caught a few smaller fish. But those didn't really seem to capture the attention of the male eagle, which Warren said appeared to be developing a method for snatching free meals from fishermen on the lake.
Eventually, Warren was able to catch a stunning photo of the bald eagle in action, attempting to steal a trout off of Huntley's fishing line.
They also noticed that the eagle has a mate, whom he takes the stolen fish to before returning for another round. "She was just squawking at him, waiting for her lunch," Warren joked. "We're just bringing the fish to the surface for him."
Warren submitted his photos to the Bellingham Herald, and they have been generating significant interest from outdoor enthusiasts and casual viewers alike. However, not everyone believed the action shots were entirely legitimate.
"I sent the photos to my family, and they were looking at them on their iPhones," Warren said. "My Dad said, 'those have obviously been photoshopped. There's no way they are real.'"
Warren said he would eventually like to become a full-time professional photographer and says all of the unexpected attention has been welcome.
"It's been great," he said. "It's all been a lot of more than either of us expected."
http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/_kgbYmGTQoNm4tpkBJuuWA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/thesideshow/RickWarrenEagle2.jpg (http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/thesideshow/RickWarrenEagle2.jpg)
An eagle flies over fisherman Bruce Huntley. (Rick Warren/Bellingham Herald)

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/bald-eagle-steals-catch-fisherman-pole-photos-203014992.html

jafar00
07-04-2012, 12:09 AM

I would just go to my boss's place in Malaysia. His guards often have to shoot invading monkeys that come in from the jungle to steal food from the kitchen ;)