PDA

View Full Version : Did anybody here get hit with the bad windstorm on the East Coast?

mundame
07-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Apparently the thunderstorms that rolled thru Fri/Sat night did more damage in Virginia than anything but a hurricane, in the history of the state! Didn't help Maryland, either.........

The thunder stuff was quite a popper, exploding over us late at night, very loud and dramatic. We didn't lose power until last night, when it was off for 4 1/2 hours, when a tree finally gave up two days after the storm and took out all the power lines into the road.

So poor hubby is running around with the generator, which he keeps well equipped and ready for these events, long extension cords, we got out the living room bed so we would have an air conditioner, tried to go to sleep, and about 10:30 the TV lit up and the power came back on. But that's okay --- a LOT of people have been out all weekend (three million lost power, the news said, 17 dead), no joke in this weather.

Anybody else get hit?

red states rule
07-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Seems in my case, it went around my area. Nothing except some rain and then right back into the 90's

Kathianne
07-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Apparently the thunderstorms that rolled thru Fri/Sat night did more damage in Virginia than anything but a hurricane, in the history of the state! Didn't help Maryland, either.........

The thunder stuff was quite a popper, exploding over us late at night, very loud and dramatic. We didn't lose power until last night, when it was off for 4 1/2 hours, when a tree finally gave up two days after the storm and took out all the power lines into the road.

So poor hubby is running around with the generator, which he keeps well equipped and ready for these events, long extension cords, we got out the living room bed so we would have an air conditioner, tried to go to sleep, and about 10:30 the TV lit up and the power came back on. But that's okay --- a LOT of people have been out all weekend (three million lost power, the news said, 17 dead), no joke in this weather.

Anybody else get hit?

My son is living in Fairfax until 7/9. His power went off before he got home on Friday and didn't come back on till late Sat. afternoon.

Gaffer
07-02-2012, 04:47 PM
It came through here about 4 in the afternoon. Quite a blow. Power flickered once but never went out, but my daughters was out for about 4 hours. The strong winds only lasted about 20 minutes.

aboutime
07-02-2012, 05:00 PM
My oldest son, his wife, and two of our grand son's live near the D.C. area. They lucked out Friday night. But on Saturday, they lost power, and still don't have it back. So they are staying at a hotel just to get cool since the temps were in the 90's and higher.
My daughter-in-law works for the Marine Corps, and they have no power in her building. So she was advised to stay home today, and probably tomorrow.

DC. took it bad, and Maryland as well. Many deaths so far. No power, no air-conditioning, no traffic lights, and restricted water...for Fire department use only.
It's worse than many think.

Nukeman
07-02-2012, 05:05 PM
I always find it funny... That SAME storm ripped through Indiana on its way there and left 10's of thousands without power (still) and lots of damage, yet we here nothing of it until it hits the coastal states... Hell it hit us Friday at 2:00 pm and by Saturday morning almost all the trees had already been cleared. You could here all the chainsaws kick in at about 3:00. No waiting for "Uncle Sam" around here. If you want it done and picked up you do it your self!!

Sorry about the rant I get so sick of our area NOT existing!!!:thumb:

aboutime
07-02-2012, 05:18 PM
I always find it funny... That SAME storm ripped through Indiana on its way there and left 10's of thousands without power (still) and lots of damage, yet we here nothing of it until it hits the coastal states... Hell it hit us Friday at 2:00 pm and by Saturday morning almost all the trees had already been cleared. You could here all the chainsaws kick in at about 3:00. No waiting for "Uncle Sam" around here. If you want it done and picked up you do it your self!!

Sorry about the rant I get so sick of our area NOT existing!!!:thumb:

Sorry you feel that way. And despite what you said so well. We did know about all of you, and what you also went through last Friday.
We learned about your troubles just as the weathermen, and ladies told us how terrible it was for all of you too!
What else could you expect though. The same storms that hit all of you... Did a lousy Job of Cleaning Out Washington DC. Since all of the RIFF RAFF who call themselves Politicians FLEW THE COOP before the bad weather hit town.
You are not forgotten out there.
Oddly enough. And probably to your surprise. When we, here on the Coastal part of the Eastern U.S. hear about your Storms, Tornado's, and Floods.
Many of us who can...pack up and come out to help all of you since WE'RE ALL AMERICANS.

Kathianne
07-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Yeah, Nukeman had that post right. We're into our 5th day of over 92-104. Yesterday we had a 15 minute thunderstorm that spawned many funnel clouds. Power is still out in many locations, but luckily not mine! BTW, no end of 90's + in the extended forecast.

Gaffer
07-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Sorry you feel that way. And despite what you said so well. We did know about all of you, and what you also went through last Friday.
We learned about your troubles just as the weathermen, and ladies told us how terrible it was for all of you too!
What else could you expect though. The same storms that hit all of you... Did a lousy Job of Cleaning Out Washington DC. Since all of the RIFF RAFF who call themselves Politicians FLEW THE COOP before the bad weather hit town.
You are not forgotten out there.
Oddly enough. And probably to your surprise. When we, here on the Coastal part of the Eastern U.S. hear about your Storms, Tornado's, and Floods.
Many of us who can...pack up and come out to help all of you since WE'RE ALL AMERICANS.

It's not folks like you Nukeman is complaining about. It's the lousy media which seems to think only the east coast exists most of the time. If it isn't affecting the east coast its not real news. I've noted it for years. Everything is centered around Washington and New York.

mundame
07-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Our county emergency system just called; they do that pretty often. This time the guy sounded like he'd had a BAD week. He said 300 people were still out of power in our county. And that it would be very hot this week and a storm was coming. :rolleyes: