PDA

View Full Version : Amputee Pistorius selected for Olympics in 4x400

jimnyc
07-04-2012, 09:33 AM
A feel good story. It shows that you should never give up. This is awesome!!

JOHANNESBURG (AP) - Double-amputee runner Oscar Pistorius is going to the London Olympics after being selected for South Africa's 1,600-meter relay team.

Pistorius is set to become the first amputee track athlete to compete at the games after South Africa's Olympic committee picked him Wednesday as one of 13 athletes on the team initially selected last month.

"Today is really on of the happiest days of my life! Will be in (at)London2012 for both the Olympic and Paralympic Games!" the multiple Paralympic champion said on Twitter. "Thank you to everyone that has made me the athlete I am! God, family and friends, my competitors and supporters! You have all had a hand!"

Pistorius was selected alongside Willem de Beer, Ofentse Mogawane and Shaun de Jager for the 4x400 race.

The selection eased Pistorius' disappointment at his failure to qualify in the individual 400 meters.

The 25-year-old runs on carbon fiber blades Despite missing out in the 400 by less than a quarter of a second at his final qualifying race at the African championships last week, Pistorius will get to realize his dream of competing at Olympic and Paralympic events in the same year.

Pistorius made history last year by qualifying for the world championships at Daegu, South Korea. He won silver with South Africa in the 4x400 as the first amputee competing in the race. However, the decision to leave him out of the final race caused controversy.

He traveled from South Africa to Europe to the United States and then to Benin, in West Africa, in his quest to achieve the qualifying time. He missed out by 0.22 seconds in that final race in Benin last week, despite still winning silver in the African final.

South Africa's Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee said Pistorius was picked for the London Games because of athletic achievements, not because he is the world's most famous disabled athlete.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20120704/D9VQ3KUO1.html

Nell's Room
07-04-2012, 09:45 PM
I am happy for him, but at the same time, he is disabled, having lost both legs, and shouldn't be eligible for the regular Olympics. You can't have an able bodied Olympian in the Paralympics, can you? So why does this guy get to complete against able bodied people?

Dilloduck
07-04-2012, 10:52 PM
I am happy for him, but at the same time, he is disabled, having lost both legs, and shouldn't be eligible for the regular Olympics. You can't have an able bodied Olympian in the Paralympics, can you? So why does this guy get to complete against able bodied people?

Are you kidding ? People love this kind of stuff. "Poor victim kicks everyone else's ass or is at least very brave for trying".

logroller
07-04-2012, 11:00 PM
The question I've seen raised, which is a fair criticism if true, is whether the canon fiber blades give some advantage over a natural leg. One guy does it, I'm not too concerned; when amputees start dominating the olympics; I think maybe there's cause to separate the competitors.

jimnyc
07-05-2012, 06:53 AM

The point of the Paralympics is to keep the non-disabled from dominating, so it's strictly disabled. There is no such problem with a disabled person in the regular olympics. If a man or woman qualifies, they should be able to compete. The point is to place the best qualifiers in the final competition. There is no advantage for him that I can see at all.

The point is to level the playing field. Obviously you need to do that with the paralympics or someone without a disability would win every event. You don't need to block out disabled people from the regular olympics, as I have a sneaky suspicion they aren't going to come in and steal away the events with an unfair advantage.

fj1200
07-05-2012, 06:58 AM
The point of the Paralympics is to keep the non-disabled from dominating, so it's strictly disabled. There is no such problem with a disabled person in the regular olympics. If a man or woman qualifies, they should be able to compete. The point is to place the best qualifiers in the final competition. There is no advantage for him that I can see at all.

The point is to level the playing field. Obviously you need to do that with the paralympics or someone without a disability would win every event. You don't need to block out disabled people from the regular olympics, as I have a sneaky suspicion they aren't going to come in and steal away the events with an unfair advantage.

I think it's question of whether their "equipment" gives them an unfair advantage. He barely made the qualifying time iirc so I don't think he or the relay team are really going to contend but swimming, for example, has banned a particular swim suit because it gave an advantage to those who wear it. I'm sure the IOC has some rule about the whole thing.

jimnyc
07-05-2012, 07:06 AM
I think it's question of whether their "equipment" gives them an unfair advantage. He barely made the qualifying time iirc so I don't think he or the relay team are really going to contend but swimming, for example, has banned a particular swim suit because it gave an advantage to those who wear it. I'm sure the IOC has some rule about the whole thing.

I agree, but I've yet to see the competition committee state that any advantage comes from this equipment. There are thousands and thousands who use similar equipment though, and this is the first that I have seen qualify for even a similar event/meet. The swimmers, they were breaking records left and right, and they were doing so from various countries, pools and meets. I would think if we saw a sudden increase in legless men making the olympics while using a certain set of fake legs, then it's something to worry about. But one man overcoming such a disability to qualify to run against the best runners in the world?

fj1200
07-05-2012, 07:11 AM
I agree, but I've yet to see the competition committee state that any advantage comes from this equipment. There are thousands and thousands who use similar equipment though, and this is the first that I have seen qualify for even a similar event/meet. The swimmers, they were breaking records left and right, and they were doing so from various countries, pools and meets. I would think if we saw a sudden increase in legless men making the olympics while using a certain set of fake legs, then it's something to worry about. But one man overcoming such a disability to qualify to run against the best runners in the world?

How fast did he run before? I'm guessing he doesn't have an advantage but the IOC should be looking at the integrity :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: of the competition. And maybe they are.

jimnyc
07-05-2012, 07:19 AM
How fast did he run before? I'm guessing he doesn't have an advantage but the IOC should be looking at the integrity :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: of the competition. And maybe they are.

Hell, I don't even know how fast he ran now, only that he qualified. I wonder how they test to see if there's an advantage for wearing them? It's not like you can pop a guy with full legs into them, and anyone else testing them will be amputees. I don't see an advantage since they are missing a limb to begin with, but I wonder how they would even test for an advantage?