PDA

View Full Version : From John Adams without further comment

WiccanLiberal
07-04-2012, 09:49 AM
The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more. You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will tryumph in that Days Transaction, even altho We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not. (The Book of Abigail and John: Selected Letters of the Adams Family, 1762-1784, Harvard University Press, 1975, 142).

Thunderknuckles
07-04-2012, 10:26 AM
"It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more. "

Fantastic!!
A great find my friend :)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Both Presidents died on the 4th of July after vowing to stay alive until that great day had come!
A mere coincidence or a miracle reflecting the unrelenting spirit of man's soul? -Tyr
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/opinion/mailbag/adams-jefferson-share-july-th-coincidence/article_1909cdd0-c55f-11e1-88c3-0019bb2963f4.html

Adams, Jefferson share July 4th coincidence
1Print Email 2012-07-04T07:00:00Z Adams, Jefferson share July 4th coincidence pantagraph.com
3 hours ago(2) CommentsThe story of the deaths of founding Presidents John Adams and Thomas Jefferson should be retold every July 4th. It was an unbelievable coincidence.

The story’s impact rests on the dedication of both presidents to the teachings of Jesus. Adams, a lawyer, briefly considered the ministry. Jefferson assembled Gospel passages he preferred into a book, “Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth.”

Adams even stated directly, “The Declaration of Independence’s words, ‘created equal (in rights) ... to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness’ are based on the equality ‘at the heart of Christianity.’”

Jefferson wrote the Declaration. But it was Adams’ eloquence that persuaded the Continental Congress to risk death by signing it.

Invited to the 50th celebration of the signing, Adams, 90, and Jefferson, 83, were too ill. Amazingly, not knowing about the other, each vowed to live until the Fourth.

On July 3, Jefferson lay dying. He suddenly exclaimed, “It is the Fourth of July!” Learning his error, he clung to life until morning.

Adams also lay dying, as a storm raged about him. Told that it was July 4th, he cried, “It is a great day!”

The storm dissolved into soft rain. A final thunderclap shook the house, and a shaft of sunlight pierced the clouds, illuminating his room.

At that instant, John Adams died.

His friends called this a miracle. The word “miracle” still fits.

On every Independence Day, let’s remember this story.

Proclaiming freedom and equal rights, it is Americans’ “fireworks in the sky.”

Barbara Findley Stuart

WiccanLiberal
07-04-2012, 11:30 AM
I always admired the way Adams expressed himself. Happy Birthday America. As much as we may complain about any current situation, this country is strong and vital. Adams might not recognize all the technology but he would recognize the spirit that still motivates us. I hope we all pause for at least a moment today and reflect on the positives in our lives as Americans. Save the negatives for another day.

red states rule
07-04-2012, 11:30 AM
I am watching the HBO John Adams right now

It is a classic production and very enjoyable to watch again

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-04-2012, 12:00 PM
John Adams and Thomas Jefferson renewed their friendship after being political rivals and then continued a brisk correspondence that lasted 14 more years. Both died July 4th 1826 as the last two surviving members of the great leaders that birthed this great nation! They both lived 50 years after July 4th 1776, HALF A CENTURY TO HELP GUIDE THIS NATION!
Myself, I identify with Jefferson's concept of our federal government more than I do John Adam's. -Tyr

red states rule
07-04-2012, 12:02 PM
John Adams and Thomas Jefferson renewed their friendship after being political rivals and then continued a brisk correspondence that lasted 14 more years. Both died July 4th 1826 as the last two surviving members of the great leaders that birthed this great nation! They both lived 50 years after July 4th 1776, HALF A CENTURY TO HELP GUIDE THIS NATION!
Myself, I identify with Jefferson's concept of our federal government more than I do John Adam's. -Tyr

They were both fine men who helped set America on course to be the worlds greatest nation

Yet they are held in contempt by some on the left as a couple of angry white gun loving racists who betrayed thir home country

I am watching the Part 3 of John Adams right now. I never get tired of watching this series

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-04-2012, 12:49 PM
They were both fine men who helped set America on course to be the worlds greatest nation

Yet they are held in contempt by some on the left as a couple of angry white gun loving racists who betrayed thir home country

I am watching the Part 3 of John Adams right now. I never get tired of watching this series

Both were great men but held different views of how far the government should grow in power! Adams believeing in a much more powerful and stronger central government and Jefferson in one less powerful. I dare say both men would be in absolute shock at the immense power our Federal govenment now has! And I believe both would be up in arms over this Roberts's ruling and even likely calling for a Revolt. We Americans must fire our first savo at the ballot box with votes being the bullets. If that fails, I think more drastic measures must eventually come! For the Pandora's box has been opened and such chance at so great a power will be grasped and used in the future, possibly even in the very near future!! Man's inherent evil nature almost insures that this deadly gift from Roberts will be accepted and used by corrupted and power hungry men! Surely the other 4 men that did indeed honorably do their duty and uphold the CONSTITUTION must consider him to be the dishonorable scum that he truly is! I know that I do!-Tyr

red states rule
07-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Both were great men but held different views of how far the government should grow in power! Adams believeing in a much more powerful and stronger central government and Jefferson in one less powerful. I dare say both men would be in absolute shock at the immense power our Federal govenment now has! And I believe both would be up in arms over this Roberts's ruling and even likely calling for a Revolt. We Americans must fire our first savo at the ballot box with votes being the bullets. If that fails, I think more drastic measures must eventually come! For the Pandora's box has been opened and such chance at so great a power will be grasped and used in the future, possibly even in the very near future!! Man's inherent evil nature almost insures that this deadly gift from Roberts will be accepted and used by corrupted and power hungry men! Surely the other 4 men that did indeed honorably do their duty and uphold the CONSTITUTION must consider him to be the dishonorable scum that he truly is! I know that I do!-Tyr

On Election Day please remember friends do not let friends vote Democrat

Kathianne
07-04-2012, 01:16 PM

Both men were patriots, both wanted a secure, united country. Interestingly enough, it was Adam's 'the progressive' as he'd be called today that enacted the Alien & Sedition Powers, without a doubt the most unconstitutional edict ever, at least until FDR. It was the Conservative, Jefferson, that abrogated the separation of powers in the Constitution to make the brilliant purchase of LA Territory. It was Jefferson that acted as CIC for our first naval war with the Barbary Pirates.

That's the thing, men of principle often need to become practical when dealing with power. All of the Revolutionary Era Presidents had good reasons to fear invasion. The country was small and the war had been costly. For all of Adam's grand titles explored for Washington's inauguration, he himself led a very modest, albeit pretty unsuccessful, (as those at the time viewed it), presidency.

Presidents don't always get the presidency they ran for. Look at Bush. He wanted a 'domestic presidency' he got a war presidency. Obama thought he'd 'bring everyone (or most) together, his has entrenched nearly all divisions that were open or below the surface. I was prepared to give him a chance, not that I had much hope. His immediate bad play on health care reform solidified everything I'd learned about him as a Chicago player. It's no way to run a city, much less a country.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Both men were patriots, both wanted a secure, united country. Interestingly enough, it was Adam's 'the progressive' as he'd be called today that enacted the Alien & Sedition Powers, without a doubt the most unconstitutional edict ever, at least until FDR. It was the Conservative, Jefferson, that abrogated the separation of powers in the Constitution to make the brilliant purchase of LA Territory. It was Jefferson that acted as CIC for our first naval war with the Barbary Pirates.

That's the thing, men of principle often need to become practical when dealing with power. All of the Revolutionary Era Presidents had good reasons to fear invasion. The country was small and the war had been costly. For all of Adam's grand titles explored for Washington's inauguration, he himself led a very modest, albeit pretty unsuccessful, (as those at the time viewed it), presidency.

Presidents don't always get the presidency they ran for. Look at Bush. He wanted a 'domestic presidency' he got a war presidency. Obama thought he'd 'bring everyone (or most) together, his has entrenched nearly all divisions that were open or below the surface. I was prepared to give him a chance, not that I had much hope. His immediate bad play on health care reform solidified everything I'd learned about him as a Chicago player. It's no way to run a city, much less a country.

Of the two I judge Jefferson as the greater thinker and the greater President. Neither one would approve of even as little as ten percent of that which obama has done since ascending to the throne after his "can do no wrong" crown was placed upon his worthless head! Obama has stomped all over the Constitution and deliberately seeks to weaken this great nation. All his failed policies point towards that being true IMHO.-Tyr

Kathianne
07-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Of the two I judge Jefferson as the greater thinker and the greater President. Neither one would approve of even as little as ten percent of that which obama has done since ascending to the throne after his "can do no wrong" crown was placed upon his worthless head! Obama has stomped all over the Constitution and deliberately seeks to weaken this great nation. All his failed policies point towards that being true IMHO.-Tyr

Jefferson was an extraordinary thinker, Adams a great legal mind. Jefferson was the right man for the Declaration, Adams the better legal and political thinker. Problem for Adams, both hadn't a chance against the mind of Hamilton. Just true.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Jefferson was an extraordinary thinker, Adams a great legal mind. Jefferson was the right man for the Declaration, Adams the better legal and political thinker. Problem for Adams, both hadn't a chance against the mind of Hamilton. Just true.

We can thank Hamilton for Jefferson becoming President over Burr , with Burr getting the vice-president spot. However Hamilton's brilliant mind did not stop the musket ball from Burr's pistol that killed him in that duel!
Proving that right or wrong violence often settles disputes. Its better to be smart and a great shot than not!-;)

Kathianne
07-04-2012, 03:30 PM
We can thank Hamilton for Jefferson becoming President over Burr , with Burr getting the vice-president spot. However Hamilton's brilliant mind did not stop the musket ball from Burr's pistol that killed him in that duel!
Proving that right or wrong violence often settles disputes. Its better to be smart and a great shot than not!-;)

Seriously?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Seriously?

Yes, Hamilton helped Jefferson get the Presidency.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2008/08/13/the-most-consequential-elections-in-history-thomas-jefferson-and-the-election-of-1800

The Most Consequential Elections in History: Thomas Jefferson and the Election of 1800
Jefferson's election confirmed the emergence of a two-party system in American politics
By Kenneth T. Walsh

President Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
The stakes in this year's presidential campaign are high. But that's nothing new. There have been many other pivotal presidential elections in our history, some that set an entirely new course for the United States and a few that were crucial to the very survival of the republic. To put the current campaign in perspective, U.S. News's White House Correspondent Kenneth T. Walsh, author of four books on the presidency, examines the 10 most consequential elections in American history—the races that produced the biggest change and had the most lasting impact. An installment of this 10-part series will run on the U.S. News website each Wednesday through September. This is the fourth in the series.

Hamilton's influence won tie breaking votes over to Jefferson in the House of Representatives..
Ten states eventually voted for Jefferson, four for Burr.-Tyr

Kathianne
07-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Yes, Hamilton helped Jefferson get the Presidency.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2008/08/13/the-most-consequential-elections-in-history-thomas-jefferson-and-the-election-of-1800

The Most Consequential Elections in History: Thomas Jefferson and the Election of 1800
Jefferson's election confirmed the emergence of a two-party system in American politics
By Kenneth T. Walsh

President Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
The stakes in this year's presidential campaign are high. But that's nothing new. There have been many other pivotal presidential elections in our history, some that set an entirely new course for the United States and a few that were crucial to the very survival of the republic. To put the current campaign in perspective, U.S. News's White House Correspondent Kenneth T. Walsh, author of four books on the presidency, examines the 10 most consequential elections in American history—the races that produced the biggest change and had the most lasting impact. An installment of this 10-part series will run on the U.S. News website each Wednesday through September. This is the fourth in the series.

Hamilton's influence won tie breaking votes over to Jefferson in the House of Representatives..
Ten states eventually voted for Jefferson, four for Burr.-Tyr

That isn't what I was referring to. Sheesh.
Proving that right or wrong violence often settles disputes. Its better to be smart and a great shot than not!-;) Proves nothing, but a quip.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-04-2012, 05:46 PM
That isn't what I was referring to. Sheesh. Proves nothing, but a quip.
Ahh, sorry. Well its my little quip and in my opinion I also qualify as a good shot too.-;)
The linked info didnt hurt and may be useful to consider in that even brilliant men often use violent methods to settle major or even minor differences. The Hamilton-Burr duel being a good example. Now I admit that the better man died (Hamilton) and that is a pity . Thats why I said its better to also be a good shot too! :beer:
The gun lover in me couldnt resist making the quip....
If I ever have to use a gun to defend my life or that of a family member it'll prove a lot to me as survival is no minor little matter.-Tyr

07-04-2012, 06:09 PM
I cant help but notice that quote says the Second of July should be celebrated, not the Fourth.

That would be the date it was actually signed.:)

Dilloduck
07-04-2012, 06:10 PM
I though survival was the only major matter.

aboutime
07-04-2012, 06:28 PM
On Election Day please remember friends do not let friends vote Democrat

Sad to say. I have no REAL FRIENDS who would vote Democrat, or for Obama on Election day.

The only time some of them...who thought they were my friends...talk to me now. Is when they are desperate, and need help. But know I disagree with them, and pretend our Politics doesn't exist...for as long as they pretend to need my help in any way.
We all have a name for that.
Those who work that way know it better than anyone else.