PDA

View Full Version : Life is great!!

Trinity
07-04-2012, 01:04 PM
So after putting in 3 and 1/2 years in tech support, in a poorly run company, trying to finish up my degree in web design and development, I finally told them :upyours:.

I had reached the point of no return, I couldn't deal with the stupid, petty, unorganized way they ran the company anymore.

That was 5 weeks ago.

During my stress free period I decided I have a whole bunch of free time so I am going to focus on putting together a portfolio along with sending out resume's directed towards jobs pertaining only to what I am in school for.

I then got the idea of creating a blog of short stories about a group of high school teenagers, thanks to my son and all of his friends (they are always supplying me with new material) :cool: I got the blog set up and started posting stories to it. I then started promoting it. I set up a Facebook page and a twitter account and within the first week it had over 500 hits and was in the top spot in Google search within a week and a half. This got me thinking about social media marketing. I then tweaked my job search to cover web design and development, along with social media marketing and management.

Last week I got a call from a general contracting company to come in for an interview, they were looking for someone to tweak their current website, design and develop websites for other business ventures they have planned for the future, and handle all aspects of the social media marketing for the company. BINGO! This was right up my alley.

I went for the interview and learned more about what type of work the company does, they install greenhouses and other specialty contracting work. But the part they wanted me to handle was the website and social media marketing for the greenhouses they are getting ready to start selling, more specifically the Ultimate Grow House. The ultimate grow house was specifically designed for growing medical marijuana. :laugh: Which is really funny considering I don't smoke weed and haven't in probably 25+ years, and have never really been on the whole legalize marijuana band wagon, or really even paid much attention to the states that it is legal in. My thoughts were always it's illegal don't smoke it.

Needless to say I have learned quite a lot about medical marijuana in the past few days and honestly it is a much safer alternative to highly addictive pain medications that some people have to take, to manage their pain.

So with my previous thoughts on marijuana, you can only imagine the response I got from friends and family when they found out what type of website and social media marketing I was doing.:wtf:

But it is all legal. We don't sell anything illegal nor participate in anything illegal.

and

I LOVE MY NEW JOB!!!:dance:

red states rule
07-04-2012, 01:06 PM
I am very happy for you

There is nothing better then loving your job and actually enjoying going to work everyday

I hope things continue to go well for you

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-04-2012, 01:27 PM
So after putting in 3 and 1/2 years in tech support, in a poorly run company, trying to finish up my degree in web design and development, I finally told them :upyours:.

I had reached the point of no return, I couldn't deal with the stupid, petty, unorganized way they ran the company anymore.

That was 5 weeks ago.

During my stress free period I decided I have a whole bunch of free time so I am going to focus on putting together a portfolio along with sending out resume's directed towards jobs pertaining only to what I am in school for.

I then got the idea of creating a blog of short stories about a group of high school teenagers, thanks to my son and all of his friends (they are always supplying me with new material) :cool: I got the blog set up and started posting stories to it. I then started promoting it. I set up a Facebook page and a twitter account and within the first week it had over 500 hits and was in the top spot in Google search within a week and a half. This got me thinking about social media marketing. I then tweaked my job search to cover web design and development, along with social media marketing and management.

Last week I got a call from a general contracting company to come in for an interview, they were looking for someone to tweak their current website, design and develop websites for other business ventures they have planned for the future, and handle all aspects of the social media marketing for the company. BINGO! This was right up my alley.

I went for the interview and learned more about what type of work the company does, they install greenhouses and other specialty contracting work. But the part they wanted me to handle was the website and social media marketing for the greenhouses they are getting ready to start selling, more specifically the Ultimate Grow House. The ultimate grow house was specifically designed for growing medical marijuana. :laugh: Which is really funny considering I don't smoke weed and haven't in probably 25+ years, and have never really been on the whole legalize marijuana band wagon, or really even paid much attention to the states that it is legal in. My thoughts were always it's illegal don't smoke it.

Needless to say I have learned quite a lot about medical marijuana in the past few days and honestly it is a much safer alternative to highly addictive pain medications that some people have to take, to manage their pain.

So with my previous thoughts on marijuana, you can only imagine the response I got from friends and family when they found out what type of website and social media marketing I was doing.:wtf:

But it is all legal. We don't sell anything illegal nor participate in anything illegal.

and

I LOVE MY NEW JOB!!!:dance:

Job is legal, you like it , go for it and more power to you!- :beer:-Tyr

jimnyc
07-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Out of curiosity, could you perhaps get me a few samples? I might be interested in the company, but I gotta try the goods first! :coffee:

Gaffer
07-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Out of curiosity, could you perhaps get me a few samples? I might be interested in the company, but I gotta try the goods first! :coffee:

The company makes greenhouses, not what is grown in them. :slap: You want a sample of glass and plastic? :thumb:

mundame
07-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Wow! I recently read a piece that said marijuana is undergoing "stealth legalization" with this medical use business. Probably true.

jimnyc
07-04-2012, 03:15 PM
The company makes greenhouses, not what is grown in them. :slap: You want a sample of glass and plastic? :thumb:

Man, I browsed through and did my usual speed reading, read medical marijuana and job and assumed it was more or less the same place. See what years of the stuff does to your brain? :lol:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1nAZi_eUjoU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Binky
07-05-2012, 07:34 AM
Considering all the hardcore drugs available out there to indulge ones addiction, weed doesn't even come close to being tossed in that catagory. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say that booze has caused far more deaths, and illnesses than weed ever will. Weed, for the most part, causes one to get a serious case of the munchies and then one wants to lie down and take a nap. :laugh2: Man, that sure sounds threatening and life taking to me. Eatin' and sleepin'. More like a piece of Heaven. If you have some serious pain going on in your body, indulge in some weed, and let it relax you so you don't notice the pain as much. Get a nice little buzz on and your mind won't have to dwell on the pain. And if you have insomnia you won't have to spend sleepless nights any longer. It does however, mellow you out and makes you lazy, for the most part. I wouldn't advice using it on the job, if one's job is building high rise buildings.

jimnyc
07-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Considering all the hardcore drugs available out there to indulge ones addiction, weed doesn't even come close to being tossed in that catagory. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say that booze has caused far more deaths, and illnesses than weed ever will. Weed, for the most part, causes one to get a serious case of the munchies and then one wants to lie down and take a nap. :laugh2: Man, that sure sounds threatening and life taking to me. Eatin' and sleepin'. More like a piece of Heaven. If you have some serious pain going on in your body, indulge in some weed, and let it relax you so you don't notice the pain as much. Get a nice little buzz on and your mind won't have to dwell on the pain. And if you have insomnia you won't have to spend sleepless nights any longer. It does however, mellow you out and makes you lazy, for the most part. I wouldn't advice using it on the job, if one's job is building high rise buildings.

Maybe someone got stoned and hit a tree or worse, but I don't think there has ever been one direct death as a result of marijuana before.

Binky
07-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Maybe someone got stoned and hit a tree or worse, but I don't think there has ever been one direct death as a result of marijuana before.

Ditto. I don't think death by weed is a viable factor. Now, death by drunkeness, well, that's another story.

Kathianne
07-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Ditto. I don't think death by weed is a viable factor. Now, death by drunkeness, well, that's another story.

I'm in favor of legalization of marijuana, but do not think you guys are getting it right about smoking and driving. Comparing the numbers of accidents purely on alcohol and marijuana would make it appear pot is rarely involved, but that only has to do with the numbers of people who don't smoke.

I think there is a rationale to be made, possibly, that pot smokers are more likely to go to sleep before driving, at a faster rate than those using alcohol. Then again, that might only be among initial users and infrequent users:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/story/health/story/2012-02-09/Marijuana-users-twice-as-likely-to-cause-car-crash/53031202/1

Marijuana users twice as likely to cause car crashLONDON (AP) – People who use marijuana before driving are nearly twice as likely to cause a car crash as those not under the influence of alcohol or drugs, according to a Canadian analysis of previous studies.

Experts at Dalhousie University in Canada reviewed nine studies of more than 49,000 people involved in accidents on public roads involving one or more motor vehicles, including cars, trucks, buses and motorcycles. Marijuana use was confirmed by blood tests or self-reporting.

Researchers found drivers who had used marijuana within three hours of beginning to drive had nearly double the risk of causing a collision, especially those that were fatal.

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/drugged-driving

...Overall, marijuana is the most prevalent illegal drug detected in impaired drivers, fatally injured drivers, and motor vehicle crash victims. Other drugs also implicated include benzodiazepines, cocaine, opiates, and amphetamines.4 (http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/drugged-driving#references)...

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/09/marijuana-nearly-doubles-risk-of-collisions/

This is actually a bit more info from the study the first link mentions:

Marijuana nearly doubles risk of collisions (http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/09/marijuana-nearly-doubles-risk-of-collisions/) We hear a lot about the hazards of drunk driving, but here's something else to put on your radar: A study in the British Medical Journal (http://www.bmj.com/cgi/doi/10.1136/bmj/e536) found that marijuana nearly doubles the risk of vehicle collisions.
Researchers conducted a systematic review of nine studies on the subject of marijuana and driving accidents, which incorporated almost 50,000 participants.

Alcohol impairs drivers' speed and reaction time, while cannabis affects spatial location, said Mark Asbridge, associate professor in the Department of Community Health and Epidemiology at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Among impaired drivers, fatally injured drivers, and motor vehicle crash victims, marijuana is the most prevalent illegal drug that has been detected, according to the U.S. National Institute on Drug Abuse (http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/infofacts/drugged-driving).
Drivers who have recently smoked marijuana may follow cars too closely, and swerve in and out of lanes, Asbridge said.

People who are impaired by alcohol often recognize that they're impaired by alcohol, but "people under the influence of cannabis often deny feeling impaired in any way," Asbridge noted.
It's not unusual for young people to go to a party and give the "designated driver" responsibility to the person who uses marijuana, Asbridge said.

"There clearly is a lot of misconception about the extent to which cannabis impairs performance," he said. "People just don't believe it."...

jimnyc
07-05-2012, 09:15 AM
No doubt that stoners shouldn't be behind the wheel of machinery! It definitely clouds your thinking and reaction time.

Trinity
07-05-2012, 09:04 PM

Nope there hasn't been...scroll down to number 6...

http://drugwarfacts.org/cms/?q=node/30

aboutime
07-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Sounds like there is a great amount of support for MJ.

Fine with me.

Wonder which of you will change your tune, and lose the supportive feelings when someone you know, or a family member becomes the victim of an INNOCENT pot smoker who didn't use excuses like most of you, and got behind the wheel for his, or her LAST JOY RIDE?

Binky
12-09-2012, 03:12 PM
I'm in favor of legalization of marijuana, but do not think you guys are getting it right about smoking and driving. Comparing the numbers of accidents purely on alcohol and marijuana would make it appear pot is rarely involved, but that only has to do with the numbers of people who don't smoke.

I think there is a rationale to be made, possibly, that pot smokers are more likely to go to sleep before driving, at a faster rate than those using alcohol. Then again, that might only be among initial users and infrequent users:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/story/health/story/2012-02-09/Marijuana-users-twice-as-likely-to-cause-car-crash/53031202/1

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/09/marijuana-nearly-doubles-risk-of-collisions/

Impaired driving is nornally from boozers who love to drive drunk. And there are those that do smoke some weed while drinking. However, it ain't the weed that is causing the accidents. It's the dumbasses who feel the need to get behind a lethal weapon, turn the key on, and hurry on down the road after they've been swillin' booze for x amount of time. And not giving one damn thought to their own lives or that of anyones elses. Why.......that would take all the fun out of drinkin'. Sure as heck can't stop and think.

Binky
12-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Wow! I recently read a piece that said marijuana is undergoing "stealth legalization" with this medical use business. Probably true.

Well, the federal gov't needs to get on with it so individual states don't have to. There are drugs far worse than weed ever will be. It's time to get over it and concentrate on those. Make it legal and then set standards/regulations etc. and tax it just like cigs and booze. It's an old story that needs to find an ending.

Robert A Whit
12-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Well, the federal gov't needs to get on with it so individual states don't have to. There are drugs far worse than weed ever will be. It's time to get over it and concentrate on those. Make it legal and then set standards/regulations etc. and tax it just like cigs and booze. It's an old story that needs to find an ending.

Dr. Michael Savage has said over and over that smoking weed damages your brain. Sort of like you want Alzheimers only faster.

aboutime
12-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Sounds like there is a great amount of support for MJ.

Fine with me.

Wonder which of you will change your tune, and lose the supportive feelings when someone you know, or a family member becomes the victim of an INNOCENT pot smoker who didn't use excuses like most of you, and got behind the wheel for his, or her LAST JOY RIDE?

Looked back at when I posted this. And now. With Washington state, and Colorado making Pot legal.
I wonder how long it will be before the FED Jacks up the TAXES on the other SMOKING PRODUCTS, Just to raise the Dealer Prices on POT?
Not to mention how the Car Insurance Companies will have to RAISE THEIR RATES, to protect other drivers who might come BUMPER TO BUMPER with a Dizzy Pot Smoker who DIDN'T KNOW HE/SHE was driving on the WRONG side of the Interstate, SINGING "AMERICAN PIE".

logroller
12-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Inattentive driving (radio, cell, makeup etc) is a far greater cause of traffic accidents. Strangely, cell phone bans while driving hasn't changed the statistic appreciably.
I am curious abou this London research though. I'll read the links provided and check back. I do know they have been pursuing testing which actually detect influence of cannibinols, as opposed to the residual metabolites which have no hallucinogenic or euphoric effect. The US lags far behind in this research; mostly due to its class as Sch I. There are many misconceptions about cannabis. And trinity, (or anyone else) if you haven't seen refer madness you ought to.

tailfins
12-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Inattentive driving (radio, cell, makeup etc) is a far greater cause of traffic accidents. Strangely, cell phone bans while driving hasn't changed the statistic appreciably.
I am curious abou this London research though. I'll read the links provided and check back. I do know they have been pursuing testing which actually detect influence of cannibinols, as opposed to the residual metabolites which have no hallucinogenic or euphoric effect. The US lags far behind in this research; mostly due to its class as Sch I. There are many misconceptions about cannabis. And trinity, (or anyone else) if you haven't seen refer madness you ought to.

Good point! Farding in traffing is quite dangerous.

aboutime
12-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Good point! Farding in traffing is quite dangerous.

Guess you would never apply makeup while driving. Huh tailfins?

Kathianne
12-09-2012, 08:13 PM

My honors history teacher played "Reefer Madness" in class. I still remember the topic we had to write on was, "Hollywood and Government have often colluded to influence the public...'

Another film shown in class was, "Soylent Green." I don't know how he got a copy of that, I think it was still in theaters then.

The topic then was 'health care,' I kid you not. 30 years later, my son comes home from school, quite upset about a video seen in school, "Soylent Green." LOL!

logroller
12-09-2012, 09:13 PM

i want to applaud your acknowledngemt statistical skew from relative use (more people use alcohol than MJ) , and add the same applies to MJ being most prevalent among illicit drugs. Additionally, as you noted, the experience level of use plays a part as well. See below regarding binge drinkers not feeling impaired.
This guy asbridge is saying some things that directly contradict other research and findings. For example,
People who are impaired by alcohol often recognize that they're impaired by alcohol, but "people under the influence of cannabis often deny feeling impaired in any way," Asbridge noted.

yet
Surprisingly, given the alarming results of cognitive studies, most marijuana-intoxicated drivers show only modest impairments on actual road tests.37, 38 Experienced smokers who drive on a set course show almost no functional impairment under the influence of marijuana, except when it is combined with alcohol.39Many investigators have suggested that the reason why marijuana does not result in an increased crash rate in laboratory tests despite demonstrable neurophysiologic impairments is that, unlike drivers under the influence of alcohol, who tend to underestimate their degree of impairment, marijuana users tend to overestimate their impairment, and consequently employ compensatory strategies. Cannabis users perceive their driving under the influence as impaired and more cautious,40 and given a dose of 7 mg THC (about a third of a joint), drivers rated themselves as impaired even though their driving performance was not; in contrast, at a BAC 0.04% (slightly less than two “standard drinks” of a can of beer or small 5 oz. glass of wine; half the legal limit in most US states), driving performance was impaired even though drivers rated themselves as unimpaired.41 Binge drinkers are particularly likely to rate themselves as unimpaired, possibly because they tend to become less sedated by high doses of alcohol.42

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2722956/?tool=pubmed
Now there are certainly differences in laboratory testing environments and real-world statistical anamlyis; but I'd probably favor the lab test.
Then he says,"There clearly is a lot of misconception about the extent to which cannabis impairs performance," he said. "People just don't believe it."...

well, apparently the interpretation by experts is contradictory. Not surprisingly, this leads to misconceptions. But I don't think people who are high and drunk make the best drivers; no misconceptions there. But personal anecdotal evidence supports alcohol as far more impairing and dismissive of risks.