PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Film "to kill a king"

revelarts
07-05-2012, 03:39 PM
To Kill a King
Story of the Cromwell and friends not sure how accurate but makes some basic points about the kings , political powers and flawed attempts to do better.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jRgU4z2sKkU?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jRgU4z2sKkU?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Thunderknuckles
07-05-2012, 03:49 PM
I caught that on Netflix a few weeks back myself. Not sure of its accuracy as you said but I enjoyed it.

mundame
07-05-2012, 03:55 PM
I have that on my queue so I'm glad to hear you liked it. Maybe we'll move it up.

I know almost nothing about the Cromwell revolution, so I won't be able to tell if it's off-history like so much of the Tudors series was. (Though that series also made some good and startling analyses.)

Thunderknuckles
07-05-2012, 04:56 PM
I have that on my queue so I'm glad to hear you liked it. Maybe we'll move it up.

I know almost nothing about the Cromwell revolution, so I won't be able to tell if it's off-history like so much of the Tudors series was. (Though that series also made some good and startling analyses.)
The film is largely about the complex relationship between Cromwell and Gen. Fairfax.
No big budget battles or any of that stuff. I advise watching it when there is nothing else of interest and you're in "relax" mode :)

Roomy
07-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Watch Cromwell instead, or A Man For All Seasons.

revelarts
07-05-2012, 09:07 PM
been a while since i've watched "a man for all season", And i've never seen "Cromwell", most of what i know about him has been by short references in books. Seems he's quite a complex fellow.
One thing that you take away from from the film i mentioned is the sense , but it not fleshed out much, that puritan thought and people were instrumental in the rebellion. I've read about it but never seen it portrayed in film. It's not exactly flattering here but for hollywood I've seen worse.

Noir
07-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Yay my period of history (which prob means i'll weep throughout the movie xD) added to my lovefilms list (:

mundame
07-05-2012, 10:00 PM
One thing that you take away from from the film i mentioned is the sense , but it not fleshed out much, that puritan thought and people were instrumental in the rebellion. I've read about it but never seen it portrayed in film. It's not exactly flattering here but for hollywood I've seen worse.

Another movie with Puritans, and their opposite, the Cavaliers, all in one film is "Stage Beauty." A great, great film to me, I've seen it three times so far. It's about the change from men playing women on stage to women playing women, during the time of Charles II. The king suddenly decides to allow it, saying the French are already letting women play women, and one of his Puritan counsellors says sourly, "Whenever we are about to do something truly despicable, we always say, 'The French have been doing it for years!'"

;)