PDA

View Full Version : More people went on disability than got jobs in June

red states rule
07-07-2012, 05:52 AM
Hope and chnage baby!!!!!!!

More workers joined the federal government's disability program in June than got new jobs, according to two new government reports, a clear indicator of how bleak the nation's jobs picture is after three full years of economic recovery.

The economy created just 80,000 jobs in June, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Friday. But that same month, 85,000 workers left the workforce entirely to enroll in the Social Security Disability Insurance program, according to the Social Security Administration.

The disability ranks have outpaced job growth throughout President Obama's recovery. While the economy has created 2.6 million jobs since June 2009, fully 3.1 million workers signed up for disability benefits.

In other words, the number of new disability enrollees has climbed 19% faster than the number of jobs created during the sluggish recovery. (Even after accounting for people who left the disability program because they died or aged into retirement, disability ranks have climbed more than 1.1 million in the past three years.)

And the disability ranks will continue to swell. In just the last month, almost 275,000 put in applications for disability benefits. Experts say that more people try to get on disability when jobs are scarce, and changes to eligibility rules enacted back in 1984 have made it far easier to qualify.

In addition, while hiring has been very weak during the recovery, the number of people who have dropped out of the labor force entirely has exploded by 7.3 million since June 2009, an IBD analysis of BLS data show. Some aged into retirement, but most either signed up for disability, stayed in school, moved back in with parents, or just quit looking for a job.

http://news.investors.com/article/617233/201207061636/disability-climbs-faster-than-jobs-under-obama.htm

Nell's Room
07-07-2012, 08:04 PM
How many of those people are simply lazy sods who think sitting at home collecting welfare is easier than getting off their arses and finding work?

Trigg
07-07-2012, 08:47 PM
How many of those people are simply lazy sods who think sitting at home collecting welfare is easier than getting off their arses and finding work?

Juding from the people I see coming through my hospital every week, quite a few are "lazy sods".

I've started feeling like a chump for doing things the right way. I got married THEN had kids and I pay my bills on time and THEN go out and have my fun.

Too many people in this country have been raised by welfare mothers to learn WHY get an education? When it's easier to have a couple of kids and live off the system.

red states rule
07-08-2012, 05:30 AM
Juding from the people I see coming through my hospital every week, quite a few are "lazy sods".

I've started feeling like a chump for doing things the right way. I got married THEN had kids and I pay my bills on time and THEN go out and have my fun.

Too many people in this country have been raised by welfare mothers to learn WHY get an education? When it's easier to have a couple of kids and live off the system.

The NY Times ran an oped admitting the white middle class has been written off by Obama as they go for the "give me" crowd. So Trigg, since you take care of yourself and family without depending on the governbemnt you are useless to the Obama camapign

The Future of the Obama Coalition<address class="byline author vcard">By THOMAS B. EDSALL (http://www.debatepolicy.com/author/thomas-b-edsall/)
</address><!-- The Content -->For decades, Democrats have suffered continuous and increasingly severe losses among white voters. But preparations by Democratic operatives for the 2012 election make it clear for the first time that the party will explicitly abandon the white working class.

All pretense of trying to win a majority of the white working class has been effectively jettisoned in favor of cementing a center-left coalition made up, on the one hand, of voters who have gotten ahead on the basis of educational attainment — professors, artists, designers, editors, human resources managers, lawyers, librarians, social workers, teachers and therapists — and a second, substantial constituency of lower-income voters who are disproportionately African-American and Hispanic.

It is instructive to trace the evolution of a political strategy based on securing this coalition in the writings and comments, over time, of such Democratic analysts as Stanley Greenberg and Ruy Teixeira. Both men were initially determined to win back the white working-class majority, but both currently advocate a revised Democratic alliance in which whites without college degrees are effectively replaced by well-educated socially liberal whites in alliance with the growing ranks of less affluent minority voters, especially Hispanics.

The 2012 approach treats white voters without college degrees as an unattainable cohort. The Democratic goal with these voters is to keep Republican winning margins to manageable levels, in the 12 to 15 percent range, as opposed to the 30-point margin of 2010 — a level at which even solid wins among minorities and other constituencies are not enough to produce Democratic victories.

http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/the-future-of-the-obama-coalition/

mundame
07-08-2012, 09:54 PM
More workers joined the federal government's disability program in June than got new jobs, according to two new government reports, a clear indicator of how bleak the nation's jobs picture is after three full years of economic recovery.

Wow, that's some statistic.

jafar00
07-08-2012, 10:10 PM
I don't think this is an Obama only problem. Jobs were being lost under Bush too and he was the one who started racking up the huge debt. Obama just inherited it and since the world economy has been teetering on the brink of collapse for a long time now, there has not been much opportunity to address the situation.

SassyLady
07-09-2012, 12:51 AM
I don't think this is an Obama only problem. Jobs were being lost under Bush too and he was the one who started racking up the huge debt. Obama just inherited it and since the world economy has been teetering on the brink of collapse for a long time now, there has not been much opportunity to address the situation.

How many jobs were created under Bush? What is the ratio of jobs created to jobs lost during Bush administration?

Even if you believe Obama inherited it, what has he done to address the situation, other than creating more "government" jobs? What has he done to stimulate the private sector, other than putting more regs on the books?

red states rule
07-09-2012, 02:46 AM

What your boss say if after 3 1/3 years your department was still well below standard, you were not being productive, and you were not producing the results your boss expected when he gave you the job as head of the department?

Would you constantly try to pass the buck, make excuses, and try to change the subject everytime your boss wanted to speak to you about your performance?