PDA

View Full Version : Atheist files complaint over restaurant's church-bulletin discount

red states rule
07-07-2012, 07:30 AM
What is with these whiney ass atheist's always looking for SOMETHING to bitch about. This idiot could take a church bulletin into the restaurant and get a discount. Why does he have to try and take it away from theose who attend church and take advantage of the discount?

For more than a year, Prudhomme’s Lost Cajun Kitchen in Columbia, Lancaster County (http://www.lostcajunkitchen.com/) has offered a Sunday special: Diners who bring in a current church bulletin receive 10 percent off the purchase of their dinners.

But, the promotion has rubbed some people the wrong way, including John Wolff of Manheim Twp., Lancaster County, an atheist and member of the Freedom From Religion Foundation (http://ffrf.org/).
Wolff, who said he's never been to Prudhomme’s, recently filed a complaint with the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission (http://www.phrc.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/file_a_complaint/18976) claiming the 22-year-old restaurant should not give discounts based on religion. “I bear them no ill will but they shouldn’t be pushing religion,” Wolff, 80, said.

The restaurant’s co-owner, Sharon Prudhomme, said she’s not about ready to pull the plug on the deal, which was designed, to drum up business.

She said many in the community, including pastors and ministers, are regular customers at Prudhomme’s, known for its Louisiana cuisine such as catfish po boys, alligator platters and crawfish.

“I thought ‘How can I boost our Sunday sales for dinner?’ And, I thought ‘Well you know what we have a lot of folks who go to church who come in throughout the week,’” Prudhomme said.

Shannon Powers, spokeswoman for the Human Relations Commission, confirmed the complaint had been filed. Prudhomme’s has 30 days to submit a written answer to the complaint, she added.

Over the past couple of months, Prudhomme said, she received two letters and a phone call from the Freedom From Religion Foundation demanding the restaurant end the promotion.

The Madison, Wis.-based group works to educate the public on matters relating to promoting the constitutional principle of separation between church and state. It filed suit over the Pennsylvania Legislature's naming 2012 the Year of the Bible (http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/03/wisconsin_group_challenges_pa.html).

“I just kind of blew it off. Gosh, I have more things to concentrate on,” Prudhomme said of the letters.

As for the phone call, Prudhomme, who does not attend church due to her work schedule, said she told the group she operates an independent restaurant and suggested non church-goers can pick up bulletins from any church and bring them to the restaurant to cash in on the discount.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/07/atheist_files_complaint_with_p.html

Noir
07-07-2012, 07:57 AM
I don't see the problem, its a private company, let them do as they please.

red states rule
07-07-2012, 07:59 AM
I don't see the problem, its a private company, let them do as they please.

I do hope the government officals looking at this idiot's complaint come to the same decision.

Missileman
07-07-2012, 08:15 AM
I do hope the government officals looking at this idiot's complaint come to the same decision.

The person who answered the phone at the HRC should have told this idiot to go jump off a bridge.

red states rule
07-07-2012, 08:17 AM
The person who answered the phone at the HRC should have told this idiot to go jump off a bridge.

While holding an anvil

mundame
07-07-2012, 08:35 AM
I'm pretty sure the Constitution doesn't guarantee freedom FROM religion.

Kathianne
07-07-2012, 08:35 AM
Seems to me that the idea is a good one. Perhaps the owner can find other outlets, such as the local paper, library, or park district bulletins that might have similar costs, thus providing alternatives in addition to the church bulletin?

Missileman
07-07-2012, 08:36 AM
I'm pretty sure the Constitution doesn't guarantee freedom FROM religion.

Not in that sense, no it doesn't.

red states rule
07-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Seems to me that the idea is a good one. Perhaps the owner can find other outlets, such as the local paper, library, or park district bulletins that might have similar costs, thus providing alternatives in addition to the church bulletin?

I saw the woner on Fox and Friends this morning and her business does offer other promos

Kathianne
07-07-2012, 08:38 AM
I saw the woner on Fox and Friends this morning and her business does offer other promos

Then it should be obvious that it's advertising in general, another venue of several.

red states rule
07-07-2012, 08:40 AM
Then it should be obvious that it's advertising in general, another venue of several.

As usual you are correct. This compalint should have been laughed off when the complaint was first filed

Missileman
07-07-2012, 08:41 AM

It doesn't matter. The business owner is free to run the business as they see fit, including giving religion-based discounts.

Kathianne
07-07-2012, 09:54 AM
It doesn't matter. The business owner is free to run the business as they see fit, including giving religion-based discounts.

Perhaps, though doesn't seem that's what he's doing. Just drumming up business.

Mr. P
07-07-2012, 10:07 AM
I bear them no ill will but they shouldn’t be pushing religion,” Wolff, 80, said.

Oh good Gawd, they're NOT. Take your senior discount and STFU. :laugh:

gabosaurus
07-07-2012, 10:18 AM
A private business can do whatever it wishes. A bar we passed in West Texas offers 15 percent off your drink tab if you drive up on a motorcycle.
Me thinks the atheists complain too much.

red states rule
07-07-2012, 10:22 AM
A private business can do whatever it wishes. A bar we passed in West Texas offers 15 percent off your drink tab if you drive up on a motorcycle.
Me thinks the atheists complain too much.

The heat wave is over and a blizzard is on its way - Gabby agrees with me

gabosaurus
07-07-2012, 10:26 AM
The heat wave is over and a blizzard is on its way - Gabby agrees with me

I have agreed with you before. I will agree with you in the future if you say something that is logical and I agree with the premise.
Of course, it might snow in SoCal before then. :p

red states rule
07-07-2012, 10:27 AM
I have agreed with you before. I will agree with you in the future if you say something that is logical and I agree with the premise.
Of course, it might snow in SoCal before then. :p

On the other hand you may find yourself agreeing with me more as you grow out of your adolescence

gabosaurus
07-07-2012, 10:30 AM
And you might tend to agree with me more often if you would take your senility medication on a regular basis. :slap:

red states rule
07-07-2012, 10:33 AM
And you might tend to agree with me more often if you would take your senility medication on a regular basis. :slap:

When I was young, inexperienced, and immature I did agree with you on many issues

Just as when I got my cats neutered they became liberals

gabosaurus
07-07-2012, 10:51 AM
When I was young, inexperienced, and immature I did agree with you on many issues

I agree that you are no longer young. :poke:

red states rule
07-07-2012, 11:15 AM

Is 54 now considered old?

One day you will reach that age as well Gabby and I will you consider yourself old?

aboutime
07-07-2012, 05:18 PM

Someone like you, talking about a medication you need to take before coming here? And it just so happens, or might be a coincidence....that medication is named 'Gabosaurus', shortened for Weak of Mind.

Nell's Room
07-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Couldn't the atheist just find a bulletin on the ground or something and bring it in to the restaurant for a discount? He hasn't ever been there anyway so I don't know why he is complaining. He should get over himself.

red states rule
07-08-2012, 05:52 AM
Couldn't the atheist just find a bulletin on the ground or something and bring it in to the restaurant for a discount? He hasn't ever been there anyway so I don't know why he is complaining. He should get over himself.

Yep

That is why this complaint is baseless and should have been laughed off shortly after it was filed

The same thing happens every Christmas and atheist's are "offended" by people enjoying the holiday season

WiccanLiberal
07-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Unbelievably silly. The restaurant owner is just promoting business. Like any business owner in this economy, they have found a way to bring in customers. Like the sandwich shop a block away from the hospital that gives a discount if you wear your ID. Makes perfect logical sense. If folks are out to church, maybe they want lunch afterward. I am betting that the restaurant also places an ad in some of the local church bulletins. This is more about freedom to conduct business than freedom of religion. Hopefully any judge hearing this dismisses it as foolishness.

aboutime
07-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Unbelievably silly. The restaurant owner is just promoting business. Like any business owner in this economy, they have found a way to bring in customers. Like the sandwich shop a block away from the hospital that gives a discount if you wear your ID. Makes perfect logical sense. If folks are out to church, maybe they want lunch afterward. I am betting that the restaurant also places an ad in some of the local church bulletins. This is more about freedom to conduct business than freedom of religion. Hopefully any judge hearing this dismisses it as foolishness.
We all know. People who think they are special, and need more attention for, whatever reasons they can come up with...declaring something unfair, or insulting. Are nothing more than childish, ignorant, and selfish. Much like the child who yell's every time another child touches their toy, or sits in their chair.
They just need attention, and claiming that your FEELINGS are hurt, or you have been INSULTED in some way. Only proves. God....'the God they claim doesn't exist' thought they said Trains, when they asked for Brains, and he gave them the smallest Set.

Kathianne
07-08-2012, 03:54 PM

To your daughter and her friends, neither are you. They learn what they observe.

aboutime
07-08-2012, 04:00 PM

Tell us gabosaurus. Exactly, how old are you?

And, even if you refuse to tell us. You really should remember. If you happen to live long enough. Someone LIKE YOU, may make fun of your age, and say the same thing.

red states rule
07-09-2012, 03:28 AM
This story is a perfect example of how some atheists' claim that all they want is "separation of church and state" is a bunch of crap. This atheist wants to live in a world of his own making that is 100% free of any reference to religion

Sorry to bust the bubble - it will not happen

logroller
07-09-2012, 05:07 AM
You don't like the restaurant catering to religious folk, don't eat there. This kinda reminds me of when Arizona refused to observe mlk day. It wasn't until after the super bowl was moved from Tempe to Pasadena that a change was made.

Nukeman
07-09-2012, 07:20 AM
Tell us gabosaurus. Exactly, how old are you?

And, even if you refuse to tell us. You really should remember. If you happen to live long enough. Someone LIKE YOU, may make fun of your age, and say the same thing.

I believe gabs stated she graduated HS in 1992 that would put her at between 37-39 dependent upon admission criteria for California schools. So if thats true she isn't as young as she likes to pretend!!! what say you Gabs!?!?!?:poke:

tailfins
07-09-2012, 08:02 AM

If they don't, the restaurant owner has another "out". The owner can clarify that an ethical society is considered a church for the purposes of this promotion.

cadet
07-09-2012, 09:22 AM
I believe gabs stated she graduated HS in 1992 that would put her at between 37-39 dependent upon admission criteria for California schools. So if thats true she isn't as young as she likes to pretend!!! what say you Gabs!?!?!?:poke:

All ya'll are old farts. :laugh:

aboutime
07-09-2012, 11:54 AM
All ya'll are old farts. :laugh:

Yeah, you're right CADET. But the jokes on you cause...someday. Someone will eventually call you the very same thing.

We all started out like you. And, like Taxes, and Death....even you will get to pay.

Thanks for the laughs.

aboutime
07-09-2012, 11:56 AM

After reading many of gabs attempts at posting here. I found it surprising that HS was any closer than 10 years away.

Nukeman
07-09-2012, 12:13 PM
After reading many of gabs attempts at posting here. I found it surprising that HS was any closer than 10 years away.Eh it was Clalifornia, what do you expect it takes them longer after graduating to come into the REAL world, especially if they go to college there as well..:laugh:

aboutime
07-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Eh it was Clalifornia, what do you expect it takes them longer after graduating to come into the REAL world, especially if they go to college there as well..:laugh:

Thanks for reminding me. Now I Remember when I first heard about California; primarily Hollywood Pre-schooler's getting Master's Degree's in Nap Time, and Cookie dipping too!