PDA

View Full Version : Malware may knock thousands off Internet on Monday

Shadow
07-07-2012, 10:34 AM
WASHINGTON – The warnings about the Internet problem have been splashed across Facebook and Google. Internet service providers have sent notices, and the FBI set up a special website.
But tens of thousands of Americans may still lose their Internet service Monday unless they do a quick check of their computers for malware that could have taken over their machines more than a year ago.
Despite repeated alerts, the number of computers that probably are infected is more than 277,000 worldwide, down from about 360,000 in April. Of those still infected, the FBI believes that about 64,000 are in the United States.
Users whose computers are still infected Monday will lose their ability to go online, and they will have to call their service providers for help deleting the malware and reconnecting to the Internet.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/07/05/malware-may-knock-thousands-off-internet-on-monday/#ixzz1zx2vrhTC

Mr. P
07-07-2012, 01:18 PM
NO NO don't go to the FBI site! It's a scam! All they are doing is collecting IP addresses for the coming puter confiscation program after the election!

Ain't that right, Rev? Tell em, you know. :laugh:

J/K Rev..couldn't help but poke a bit of fun.

But, thinking about it, I guess it is a remote possibility.

Of those still infected, the FBI believes that about 64,000 are in the United States.

With MILLIONS of puters in the USA only 64,000 may be infected here? All this fuss for 64K? Hummm...

I may have just created a good conspiracy without intending to do so.:laugh:

Anton Chigurh
07-07-2012, 01:29 PM
With MILLIONS of puters in the USA only 64,000 may be infected here? All this fuss for 64K? Hummm...
This issue is related to a botnet that targets and infects computers which have MSIE 6 or earlier, and any browser with this kernel, which covers Opera as well as some others, including the earliest versions of MSIE7, like 7.0.1a.

This is why the estimate is so small. Because most of these dinosaurs are gone, compared to the 100s of millions of computers out there.

Mr. P
07-07-2012, 01:36 PM
This issue is related to a botnet that targets and infects computers which have MSIE 6 or earlier, and any browser with this kernel, which covers Opera as well as some others, including the earliest versions of MSIE7, like 7.0.1a.

This is why the estimate is so small. Because most of these dinosaurs are gone, compared to the 100s of millions of computers out there.

Are there really 64,000 people still using IE? :laugh:
Ok, I see you said as well as some others.

I know some don't know there are alternatives.

I never have liked IE and stay as far from it as possible.

Anton Chigurh
07-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Are there really 64,000 people still using IE? :laugh:
Ok, I see you said as well as some others.

I know some don't know there are alternatives.

I never have liked IE and stay as far from it as possible.It's a lousy estimate, for if there were only that many it would be like Apple computers - hardly worth creating botnets for.:laugh2:

aboutime
07-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Since it appears, there are members of this forum who think it is a hoax, primarily because they hate Fox news so much...who happened to report it.

We should just remain quiet, and let those who distrust Fox, or suspect this is just a method the govt. is using to get more data....fend for themselves on Monday.

In fact. It might just be a good thing if they do nothing. Come Monday. If they are so full of Hatred, and feel intimidated because of their hatred, and mental instablity. It should be much quieter come Tuesday.

And that would be a GOOD thing.