PDA

View Full Version : Putin's 4th of July message to America

SassyLady
07-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Looks like it's time for me to leave California for Arizona!!!!

Two Russian strategic nuclear bombers entered the U.S. air defense zone near the Pacific coast on Wednesday and were met by U.S. interceptor jets, defense officials told the Free Beacon.

It was the second time Moscow dispatched nuclear-capable bombers into the 200-mile zone surrounding U.S. territory in the past two weeks.

An earlier intrusion by two Tu-95 Bear H bombers took place near Alaska as part of arctic war games that a Russian military spokesman said included simulated attacks on “enemy” air defenses and strategic facilities.

A defense official said the Pacific coast intrusion came close to the U.S. coast but did not enter the 12-mile area that the U.S. military considers sovereign airspace.

The bomber flights near the Pacific and earlier flights near Alaska appear to be signs Moscow is practicing the targeting of its long-range air-launched cruise missiles on two strategic missile defense sites, one at Fort Greely, Alaska and a second site at Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.

In May, Russian Gen. Nikolai Makarov, the chief of the Russian General Staff, said during a Moscow conference that because missile defense systems are destabilizing, “A decision on pre-emptive use of the attack weapons available will be made when the situation worsens.” The comments highlighted Russian opposition to planned deployments of U.S. missile defense interceptors and sensors in Europe.

The U.S. defense official called the latest Bear H incident near the U.S. West Coast “Putin’s Fourth of July Bear greeting to Obama.”

Retired Air Force Lt. Gen. Thomas McInerney, a former Alaska commander for the North American Aerospace Defense Command, said the latest Bear H intrusion appears to be Russian military testing.

“It’s becoming very obvious that Putin is testing Obama and his national security team,” McInerney told the Free Beacon. “These long-range aviation excursions are duplicating exercises I experienced during the height of the Cold War when I command the Alaska NORAD region.

McInerney said the Bear H flights are an effort by the Russians to challenge U.S. resolve, something he noted is “somewhat surprising as Obama is about to make a unilateral reduction of our nuclear forces as well as major reductions in our air defense forces.

more...........
http://freebeacon.com/putins-july-4th-message/

Toro
07-07-2012, 10:22 PM
lol

Russia ...

Gaffer
07-08-2012, 11:45 AM
They have been doing this for years. It rarely makes the news. There was an event like this over Europe about 6 months ago. Little incursions looking for weak points and seeing how close they can get to a target before being detected.

Putin wants the old empire back.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Looks like it's time for me to leave California for Arizona!!!!

Putin jumps the gun, because obama will be "more flexible later" after the election!
Putin knows that obama is a damn fool and a freaking cowardly ffing chump!
Think they would have done anything like this when Reagan was in charge?--Tyr

Dilloduck
07-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Putin jumps the gun, because obama will be "more flexible later" after the election!
Putin knows that obama is a damn fool and a freaking cowardly ffing chump!
Think they would have done anything like this when Reagan was in charge?--Tyr

They were afraid of Reagan. So afraid that they nearly launched their nukes by mistake thinking Reagan had launched ours.

aboutime
07-08-2012, 02:08 PM
For anyone who is concerned about those Russian 'Bear' bombers intruding over U.S. airspace.

Not to worry. They have been doing that kind of thing, since just after the Cuban Missile Crisis during JFK's watch.
In fact. For every deployment I made over my 30 years in the navy. Rarely, during any of those deployments DID WE NOT see Russian Bear Bombers appear. Either over U.S. Airspace, or, wherever any U.S. Battlegroup of ships, with an Aircraft Carrier was at sea.

I would, on the other hand. Consider moving OUT OF California, before the taxes jump again to support that High Speed Illegal Alien Transport Train, Jerry Brown just voted for.

logroller
07-08-2012, 10:48 PM
As i first suspected, and others confirmed, such encroachments are nothing new. War games make for good movies; good press, not so much! I'm all for the high speed rail though--expands the job market.

SassyLady
07-09-2012, 12:38 AM
As i first suspected, and others confirmed, such encroachments are nothing new. War games make for good movies; good press, not so much! I'm all for the high speed rail though--expands the job market.

Expands the job market by creating jobs for those that will build it? Or do you mean people using it can travel further to a job?

logroller
07-09-2012, 12:49 AM
Expands the job market by creating jobs for those that will build it? Or do you mean people using it can travel further to a job?
The latter. The former, including maintenance and operations, isn't appreciable given the high cost of construction.

SassyLady
07-09-2012, 12:51 AM
The latter. The former, including maintenance and operations, isn't appreciable given the high cost of construction.

That's what I thought you meant, but just wanted to clarify.

Will you be using it?

logroller
07-09-2012, 12:58 AM
That's what I thought you meant, but just wanted to clarify.

Will you be using it?
Maybe; it's still a ways off. I'd love to get a job in sac or Fresno; but I'd sell fresas on th corner before I commute the 99.:laugh:

logroller
07-09-2012, 12:59 AM
On the rail project, I'd like to buy some bonds too. Seems far better that I invest in it than china.

fj1200
07-09-2012, 11:45 PM

The initial costs are likely far too high per job created and the ongoing costs likely won't cover the nut.

Kathianne
07-10-2012, 12:05 AM
Let's see, there's a state awash in debt (http://www.usdebtclock.org/state-debt-clocks/state-of-california-debt-clock.html). Giving a green light (http://articles.boston.com/2012-07-07/news/32579489_1_california-high-speed-rail-authority-green-light-federal-funding) to a populace against the plan (http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jun/02/local/la-me-0603-bullet-poll-20120604). A sane voice (http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/saunders/article/California-high-speed-rail-on-wrong-track-3694563.php) from the party in power.

Voters have turned against California bullet train, poll shows
A strong majority of voters is against the bullet train project just as Gov. Brown is pressuring the Legislature to green-light the start of construction, a USC Dornsife/Los Angeles Times poll finds.
June 02, 2012 (http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jun/02)|By Ralph Vartabedian, Los Angeles Times

California high-speed rail: on wrong track <!-- e src/business/templates/hearst/article/headline.tpl --> <!-- src/business/templates/hearst/article/types/byline.tpl --> Debra J. Saunders, Chronicle Columnist <!-- e src/business/templates/hearst/article/types/byline.tpl --> Published 07:42 p.m., Monday, July 9, 2012
State Sen. Joe Simitian (http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=opinion%2Fsaunders&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Joe+Simitian%22), D-Palo Alto, probably is best known as the author of California's bill to ban the use of hand-held cell phones while driving. After Friday's vote, Simitian may be best known as the Democrat who warned his colleagues not to issue $4.6 billion in bonds for big-ticket high-speed rail.

"Any of us who talks to our folks knows that they're asking the same questions," Simitian reasoned. "They're saying, 'Really? You made these cuts. We're threatened with more. And you want to build a high-speed train?' "
The state Senate, nonetheless, passed the bill with 21 votes. Gov. Jerry Brown (http://www.sfgate.com/jerry-brown/) praised lawmakers for their "bold action."