PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Olympic Gold in Archery-American Brady Ellison

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-08-2012, 09:53 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/archery/story/usa-archer-Brady-ellison-hunts-gold-062012

This guy bowhunts and target shoots . Certainly not a tradional Archer but has to be admired for his talent and his spirit in my opinion.-Tyr

ArcheryFOX Sports Exclusive'You win or you go home' Brady Ellison is the top-ranked archer in the world. Share This Story

Reid ForgraveReid Forgrave has worked for the Des Moines Register, the Cincinnati Enquirer and the Seattle Times. His work has been recognized by Associated Press Sports Editors, the Livingston Awards for Young Journalists, and the American Association of Sunday and Feature Editors.
MORE>> Updated Jul 5, 2012 1:02 PM ET
Certain Olympic sports rank exponentially higher on the badass scale than others

Boxing and taekwondo, for example, outrank rhythmic gymnastics and trampoline. Weightlifting is more badass than table tennis. Take fencing and equestrian, with their military pedigrees, over rowing and badminton.

But there is one American badass who beats them all.

Brady Ellison doesn’t look like much: A husky 23-year-old country boy from Arizona who favors country music, shaggy hair and enormous belt buckles. The sport in which Ellison is the top-ranked athlete in the world, archery, isn’t the sexiest, either. Two archers stand 70 meters from their target and shoot a dozen arrows toward a bull’s-eye, 12.2 centimeters in diameter. The highest scorer moves onto the next round, and so on and so forth, until there’s one person left, and that’s your gold medalist.

Badass, America wonders. Please. Give us the head-pounding spikes of beach volleyball or the 10-seconds-of-glory adrenaline rush of the 100-meter dash or the nonstop pace of basketball. Archery just doesn’t sound like the sport for the American badass. Sounds like a sport dominated by some wienie country like South Korea, which in recent decades has actually been true.

But consider the badass credentials of one Brady Ellison, The Real American BadAss and the top-ranked archer in the world: At age 11, Ellison shot and killed his first bear, a 300-pounder, with a rifle on his grandfather’s ranch. He bow-hunts pretty much anything he can get a tag for: bighorn sheep, elk, javelinas, wild boar. He bow-hunts fish, for God’s sake. His favorite day of hunting ever was earlier this year, when Ellison and his father each bagged his own buck with a bow and arrow on the same day.

Ready to reconsider your definition of badass?

“My favorite hunting is elk,” Ellison said. “They’re big, they’re fun. If you get them in the bugle, you can call them in. They make a lot of noise. They’re a big animal. Especially if you’re in a thicket and you get a bull to talk, you’re bugling to them, he comes crashing through the brush at you — it’s an adrenaline rush, because he thinks you’re another bull.”

He paused a moment for you to shudder at the thought: There’s the 800-pound animal charging at you, and here are you, sitting in a thicket without a gun.

Ellison shrugged.

“Bows can kill anything, just like a rifle,” he said.

There’s something beautifully medieval about archery. Ignore the vast array of high-tech archery gadgets out there — from stabilizers to sights, from rangefinders to special silicone wax for high-tension bow strings — and realize that at its most basic, archery is simply man propelling pointed stick through air, heading toward animal. There are few things more primal. Before archery was a sport, archery was man’s survival.

At this primal sport, Brady Ellison is the best, with three World Cup wins in a row heading into London. He is Robin Hood. He is the Greek god Apollo. He is Hawkeye from “The Avengers.” He is Katniss Everdeen from “The Hunger Games.”

And the No. 2 archer in the world, Im Dong-Hyun from South Korea, who won a team gold medal in 2008, has him in his sights.

The adrenaline level at a big-game bow-hunt vs. a big-time Olympic archery matchup is, well, different. First of all, at Lord’s Cricket Ground in London — home to the Olympic archery competition and replicated in Ellison’s father’s backyard for practice — there will not be an 800-pound animal chasing down the archers. (Though, come to think of it, that would be pretty badass.)

But there will be distractions. There will be pressure. There will be seven years of training bearing down on Ellison, since 2005 when he switched from shooting a compound bow to shooting a recurve bow, the only type of bow used in Olympic competition.

“Archery is a sport where it’s one-on-one, you win or you go home,” Ellison said. “It’s kind of like golf in a way. It’s a mental game, a lot of focus. And if you mess up, you’re more than likely not going to win. It’s a game of perfection. There’s just a draw to being perfect.”

Perfection means focus. Perfection means mental discipline. Perfection means Ellison’s 20/10 vision staring down at a target for hours on end. Perfection means body control, which hasn’t always been the easiest for Ellison, who spent a year of his childhood in leg braces because of Perthes disease, which was eating away at the head of his femurs. (Perhaps it’s not surprising that, Forrest Gump-like, this Olympian ran straight out of his braces, breaking three or four sets by the time doctors said he was OK without them.)

And perfection means heading to London and coming back with gold. And nobody can dispute that would be very, very badass.

Shadow
07-08-2012, 06:35 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/archery/story/usa-archer-Brady-ellison-hunts-gold-062012

This guy bowhunts and target shoots . Certainly not a tradional Archer but has to be admired for his talent and his spirit in my opinion.-Tyr

ArcheryFOX Sports Exclusive'You win or you go home' Brady Ellison is the top-ranked archer in the world. Share This Story

Reid ForgraveReid Forgrave has worked for the Des Moines Register, the Cincinnati Enquirer and the Seattle Times. His work has been recognized by Associated Press Sports Editors, the Livingston Awards for Young Journalists, and the American Association of Sunday and Feature Editors.
MORE>> Updated Jul 5, 2012 1:02 PM ET
Certain Olympic sports rank exponentially higher on the badass scale than others

Boxing and taekwondo, for example, outrank rhythmic gymnastics and trampoline. Weightlifting is more badass than table tennis. Take fencing and equestrian, with their military pedigrees, over rowing and badminton.

But there is one American badass who beats them all.

Brady Ellison doesn’t look like much: A husky 23-year-old country boy from Arizona who favors country music, shaggy hair and enormous belt buckles. The sport in which Ellison is the top-ranked athlete in the world, archery, isn’t the sexiest, either. Two archers stand 70 meters from their target and shoot a dozen arrows toward a bull’s-eye, 12.2 centimeters in diameter. The highest scorer moves onto the next round, and so on and so forth, until there’s one person left, and that’s your gold medalist.

Badass, America wonders. Please. Give us the head-pounding spikes of beach volleyball or the 10-seconds-of-glory adrenaline rush of the 100-meter dash or the nonstop pace of basketball. Archery just doesn’t sound like the sport for the American badass. Sounds like a sport dominated by some wienie country like South Korea, which in recent decades has actually been true.

But consider the badass credentials of one Brady Ellison, The Real American BadAss and the top-ranked archer in the world: At age 11, Ellison shot and killed his first bear, a 300-pounder, with a rifle on his grandfather’s ranch. He bow-hunts pretty much anything he can get a tag for: bighorn sheep, elk, javelinas, wild boar. He bow-hunts fish, for God’s sake. His favorite day of hunting ever was earlier this year, when Ellison and his father each bagged his own buck with a bow and arrow on the same day.

Ready to reconsider your definition of badass?

“My favorite hunting is elk,” Ellison said. “They’re big, they’re fun. If you get them in the bugle, you can call them in. They make a lot of noise. They’re a big animal. Especially if you’re in a thicket and you get a bull to talk, you’re bugling to them, he comes crashing through the brush at you — it’s an adrenaline rush, because he thinks you’re another bull.”

He paused a moment for you to shudder at the thought: There’s the 800-pound animal charging at you, and here are you, sitting in a thicket without a gun.

Ellison shrugged.

“Bows can kill anything, just like a rifle,” he said.

There’s something beautifully medieval about archery. Ignore the vast array of high-tech archery gadgets out there — from stabilizers to sights, from rangefinders to special silicone wax for high-tension bow strings — and realize that at its most basic, archery is simply man propelling pointed stick through air, heading toward animal. There are few things more primal. Before archery was a sport, archery was man’s survival.

At this primal sport, Brady Ellison is the best, with three World Cup wins in a row heading into London. He is Robin Hood. He is the Greek god Apollo. He is Hawkeye from “The Avengers.” He is Katniss Everdeen from “The Hunger Games.”

And the No. 2 archer in the world, Im Dong-Hyun from South Korea, who won a team gold medal in 2008, has him in his sights.

The adrenaline level at a big-game bow-hunt vs. a big-time Olympic archery matchup is, well, different. First of all, at Lord’s Cricket Ground in London — home to the Olympic archery competition and replicated in Ellison’s father’s backyard for practice — there will not be an 800-pound animal chasing down the archers. (Though, come to think of it, that would be pretty badass.)

But there will be distractions. There will be pressure. There will be seven years of training bearing down on Ellison, since 2005 when he switched from shooting a compound bow to shooting a recurve bow, the only type of bow used in Olympic competition.

“Archery is a sport where it’s one-on-one, you win or you go home,” Ellison said. “It’s kind of like golf in a way. It’s a mental game, a lot of focus. And if you mess up, you’re more than likely not going to win. It’s a game of perfection. There’s just a draw to being perfect.”

Perfection means focus. Perfection means mental discipline. Perfection means Ellison’s 20/10 vision staring down at a target for hours on end. Perfection means body control, which hasn’t always been the easiest for Ellison, who spent a year of his childhood in leg braces because of Perthes disease, which was eating away at the head of his femurs. (Perhaps it’s not surprising that, Forrest Gump-like, this Olympian ran straight out of his braces, breaking three or four sets by the time doctors said he was OK without them.)

And perfection means heading to London and coming back with gold. And nobody can dispute that would be very, very badass.

I like the idea of bow hunting. Kinda primal like was stated in the article. A person needs a certain skill to hunt this way (archery is a kind of art form too). Right conditions are needed or accounted for with skill. I like the following quote....sums it up for me.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-08-2012, 07:06 PM
I like the idea of bow hunting. Kinda primal like was stated in the article. A person needs a certain skill to hunt this way (archery is a kind of art form too). Right conditions are needed or accounted for with skill. I like the following quote....sums it up for me.

I agree wholeheartedly with it being an art form . Redstate and I both bowhunt. I being a tradional archery guy only shoot the longbow or recurve while my friend Redstate shoots all three longbow, recurve and compound. I've been shooting bows since I was five years old. First bows I shot were made by my Indian grandfather. Now I shoot custom made longbows and very finely made recurves! Bowfishing is great fun too. Redstate hunts a great deal more than I do as I 've mainly just target shot since my son Justin was born and had all the health problems from being so pre-mature. Still shooting is shooting. Archery has been a passion of mine since I was kneehigh to a grasshopper!;)--Tyr

logroller
07-08-2012, 08:09 PM
I grew up shooting bow and arrow; always had a few stacked up bails of straw in the yard. My dad still sets up a target and practices daily. Whenever I'm there I'll shag his arrows and inevitably shoot just one or two, besting him every time-- really ticks him off.:laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-08-2012, 09:41 PM
I grew up shooting bow and arrow; always had a few stacked up bails of straw in the yard. My dad still sets up a target and practices daily. Whenever I'm there I'll shag his arrows and inevitably shoot just one or two, besting him every time-- really ticks him off.:laugh:

You shoot longbow, recurve or compound?
I bet it does tick him off. I have since about 7 years old shot better than my older brother, he lies about it and it pisses him off to no end. He can easily beat me in a fist fight but shooting bow or guns I ace him out everytime!
When at family gatherings the subject comes up he quickly finds a reason to leave the room. He knows his denials dont cut it with family as they know the truth of it.-:laugh:
We shot empty cereal boxes at 20 , 40 and 60 paces. Later we shot up to a 100 paces , didnt measure at all with a tape. We also used hay bales as backstops with those old cheap deer posters tacked on. Later I bought life size deer targets to use. Even started shooting flu flu's at birds on the fly. Killed quite a few of them when I was in my early teens. All of it was great fun and I've never stopped loving archery.-Tyr

logroller
07-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Recurve and longbow. Ive used a compound but don't hunt, so I never really took to it; something magically primitive is lost with the compound in my perspective. If I hunted I'd be more apt to use the compound; but then I'd just use a rifle mor than likely. Side note: my first hunt wasn't a clean kill, so I sorta lost the sport of it all. Now my kills are merciful or when otherwise necessary.

Shadow
07-09-2012, 07:21 AM
I agree wholeheartedly with it being an art form . Redstate and I both bowhunt. I being a tradional archery guy only shoot the longbow or recurve while my friend Redstate shoots all three longbow, recurve and compound. I've been shooting bows since I was five years old. First bows I shot were made by my Indian grandfather. Now I shoot custom made longbows and very finely made recurves! Bowfishing is great fun too. Redstate hunts a great deal more than I do as I 've mainly just target shot since my son Justin was born and had all the health problems from being so pre-mature. Still shooting is shooting. Archery has been a passion of mine since I was kneehigh to a grasshopper!;)--Tyr

I think I would like the target shooting in archery best. Not so much the bow fishing though. I like to fish...but if I catch something I prefer to release it after rather than kill it. Doubt I would be a good hunter either for the same reason. I'd rather just observe nature I think.

logroller
07-09-2012, 08:19 AM
I think I would like the target shooting in archery best. Not so much the bow fishing though. I like to fish...but if I catch something I prefer to release it after rather than kill it. Doubt I would be a good hunter either for the same reason. I'd rather just observe nature I think.
Hunt and release..lol

Ive been getting back into backpacking and been checking out some trails/ areas and various rules and such. Fishing rules vary, where certain lakes/ streams allow taking, while others are release only and some are take only nonindigineous species. It gets so complicated, I start thinking why bother, just release. Then I came across critics of releasing--no joke-- I think Switzerland and maybe germany (?) have made it illegal not to take what you catch...saying its cruel, that too many fish die after being caught anyways, all kinds of crap. I think it's funny, really. I think people just don't know how to fish; ie the proper use barbless hooks, and their removal.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Recurve and longbow. Ive used a compound but don't hunt, so I never really took to it; something magically primitive is lost with the compound in my perspective. If I hunted I'd be more apt to use the compound; but then I'd just use a rifle mor than likely. Side note: my first hunt wasn't a clean kill, so I sorta lost the sport of it all. Now my kills are merciful or when otherwise necessary.

I havent hunted in almost 7 years now. Not even with gun. I had only hunted that which I was going to eat for decades. No trophy taking for me as my hunting was for the joy of it, being out in the woods and of course the harvesting of game. My Indian blood demands that I eat the game that I kill. Now that my son's health has improved greatly perhaps I will bowhunt this coming deer season. I do not release anything because I'm there to harvest and if blessed with a kill I eat the harvest or else give it to others that will do the same. -Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-09-2012, 10:06 AM

Target shooting is great. I've been target shooting only for over 6 years now. Bow fishing is great fun and if one is careful to shoot the right fish the eating is great too! Although it was fun to try to get the huge gars too, that feed on the game fish. Some people even eat gar but I never did. I always took them to a friend of mine that would eat them. For me killing game to eat is as natural as breathing. It is man's heritage and it soothes the soul to go back to the primitive state of being where harvesting game was how we survived. That has also been a part of nature as long as man has been around! No different that the big predators (lion, tiger, bear, wolf, etc.) that kill to eat and to survive. Harvest only what you will eat and you are just a part of nature IMHO. My Indian grandfather taught me that and I've never forgotten it. -Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-09-2012, 05:34 PM
My friend just called about doing some target shooting this coming weekend. He shoots a longbow , a bamboo take down custom made. It is lightning fast. Speed matters but he still can not outshoot me. :laugh:

red state
07-09-2012, 05:53 PM

Well, Shadow, you could arm your arrows with dye tips. Then you could video the animal that you could have killed but chose not to. I can't believe this hasn't caught on...especially big ranches that could support ALL kinds of clients. I have a friend in church who hunts ONLY with a knife. They go head to head with wild boar! I don't know if he's stupid or simply taking the PRIMETIVE aspect of hunting to an awfully dangerous extreme!!! I don't hunt with a knife, spear or gun...and I don't go sticking my arm in a hole or old log under water either!!!! I'd rather remain the HUNTER! HA!! Good thread TYR! I hope it has a long life and is full of positive posters!

red state
07-09-2012, 06:08 PM
EAT!!!

Tyr, I'm not a big fisherman (at all) but I do believe there are too many regulations out there...especially in one of the most liberal States in the South (Florida) where they have banned Red Snapper. It wasn't until recently that they have allowed it during specific seasons. I believe in keeping what I catch with a limit if the need for conservation is necessary. As for you catch and release, I agree that folks need to know how to fish BUT in many cases the fish tires, goes into shock and either dies or is an easy target for other fish. I hate seeing a nice Red Snapper caught and then released cuz I know the chances of that fish NOT MAKING it is extremely high. Just saying.

Now, back on topic, I lie all kids of archery...even bow hunting for pesky carp and alligator gar. They don't "EAT" but those rascals sure put up a great fight. If I stock my lake (that I've placed Florida Bass in) I always put in hybrid carp...they can't breed and they are very good for your lake so don't shoot!!! HA! As for harvesting game for the table....I'm all for it (whether you use a cross bow, compound or longbow/recurve). I shoot them all and I also prefer to tag that exceptionally antlered buck over a doe. They eat just a good (usually) and I like looking at the "memory" on my wall for years and years. Working on a new drop-down/man cave / billiard room now for all my "memories". HA!!!

OK...back to your regular scheduled broadcast!

PS: By the way, my son has won several archery tournaments and has been shooting since he was 3!!! I'm sure he would have made an Olympic team if he had been in the right location....just not much in the way of archery much where I live and he's got so much going on with baseball and his first year in college coming up. Sadly, I may need to put his PSE Millinium (electric blue) tournament bow. NO! I'll keep it and hang it amongst the other "memories"...he took two bob cats with that bow last year.

red state
07-09-2012, 06:22 PM
My friend just called about doing some target shooting this coming weekend. He shoots a longbow , a bamboo take down custom made. It is lightning fast. Speed matters but he still can not outshoot me. :laugh:

Put your money where your mouth is...
I know it will probably never happen but I'd like the opportunity to be your younger brother and give your older brother something to stay in the room over. HA! Seriously, you would probably beat me in EVERY way and with ANY weapon but I must warn you that I've shot most everything and from every KraZy positions possible....it really gnaws at my son (who is really a better shot) but can not beat the 'old man' (IF there is a distance limit). I don't/can't shoot long distance any more because of my shoulder and eyes. I started a boy shooting those little toy bows at paper grocery bags. We'd put old brown Big Star bags over two stick that were stuck in the ground and shoot up to 60 paces (we were under 10 or 12 years of age). I later shot at the local archery club and it wasn't unusual to shoot 90 yards. I always shot a compound in my teen and adult life but most of that was shot with very little let-off and without sites. This is very much like shooting a recurve and it makes for great bow fishing. These new bows that practically draw and shoot for you are not really the best pick when bow shooting or shooting a moving target that requires a quick response and release. If I hunted big game such as grizz, tiger or lion...I'd rather have a more primitive weapon (if the hunt is on fair terms and the animal isn't tamed down with feeding and constant supervision). A simply weapon will keep you alive whereas a complicated weapon will get you killed. I have all kinds of guns but I only take a revolver out to town and it has an empty chamber. But back to archery....I hope like the dickens that the USA makes us proud in ALL events (but especially in ARCHERY). I sure wish we had MMA...we'd probably kick @$$ in that field like we usually do in Basketball. Tyr, my 'challenge' was in good humor....although I would appreciate the opportunity (although I am now shooting very little). Haven't picked my bow up since the last time I talked to you....that's too long! Bow season is just around the corner now!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-09-2012, 07:09 PM
Put your money where your mouth is...
I know it will probably never happen but I'd like the opportunity to be your younger brother and give your older brother something to stay in the room over. HA! Seriously, you would probably beat me in EVERY way and with ANY weapon but I must warn you that I've shot most everything and from every KraZy positions possible....it really gnaws at my son (who is really a better shot) but can not beat the 'old man' (IF there is a distance limit). I don't/can't shoot long distance any more because of my shoulder and eyes. I started a boy shooting those little toy bows at paper grocery bags. We'd put old brown Big Star bags over two stick that were stuck in the ground and shoot up to 60 paces (we were under 10 or 12 years of age). I later shot at the local archery club and it wasn't unusual to shoot 90 yards. I always shot a compound in my teen and adult life but most of that was shot with very little let-off and without sites. This is very much like shooting a recurve and it makes for great bow fishing. These new bows that practically draw and shoot for you are not really the best pick when bow shooting or shooting a moving target that requires a quick response and release. If I hunted big game such as grizz, tiger or lion...I'd rather have a more primitive weapon (if the hunt is on fair terms and the animal isn't tamed down with feeding and constant supervision). A simply weapon will keep you alive whereas a complicated weapon will get you killed. I have all kinds of guns but I only take a revolver out to town and it has an empty chamber. But back to archery....I hope like the dickens that the USA makes us proud in ALL events (but especially in ARCHERY). I sure wish we had MMA...we'd probably kick @$$ in that field like we usually do in Basketball. Tyr, my 'challenge' was in good humor....although I would appreciate the opportunity (although I am now shooting very little). Haven't picked my bow up since the last time I talked to you....that's too long! Bow season is just around the corner now!

HAHA, You would likely beat me if I shot my very heavy Tom Cole custom longbow. That 86 pound monster I loved but can no longer shoot accurately enough with because I find it about ten pounds too heavy! But I simply love it for its beauty and smooth shooting, takes a real hoss to shot it well! Since my heart attack 15 months go I can only shoot a few rounds with it before it exhausts my muscles and the accuracy goes out the window. If we get the chance to shoot I'd probaly shoot my 65 pound custom Lofton. It shoots fast and smooth too! Of course I knew your challenge was in good humor my friend. Man, sure wish my brother's bamboo takedown wasnt a righthanded bow. Being a lefty I have had to pass up dozen of deals on fantastic custom made longbows and recurves! Had a chance to buy a Blackwidow recurve early last year for $400.00 cash but it was a righty, I couldnt shoot it!! Probably should have bought it for resale and made about 5 or 6 hundred dollar profit on it. Was too busy and that was about a week or two before I had my heart attack. Still I could shoot my Bandito recurve if we shot short or intermediate range only. I think the poundage is a bit too light for any really long distance shooting.
Bro' you better stretch those shooting muscles. I shot in my backyard about half an hour last weekend, using a light Ben Pearson longbow. Didnt want to injure that shoulder that gave me such problems last year! I'm already getting myself shot in! -Tyr

red state
07-09-2012, 07:58 PM
HAHA, You would likely beat me if I shot my very heavy Tom Cole custom longbow. That 86 pound monster I loved but can no longer shoot accurately enough with because I find it about ten pounds too heavy! But I simply love it for its beauty and smooth shooting, takes a real hoss to shot it well! Since my heart attack 15 months go I can only shoot a few rounds with it before it exhausts my muscles and the accuracy goes out the window. If we get the chance to shoot I'd probaly shoot my 65 pound custom Lofton. It shoots fast and smooth too! Of course I knew your challenge was in good humor my friend. Man, sure wish my brother's bamboo takedown wasnt a righthanded bow. Being a lefty I have had to pass up dozen of deals on fantastic custom made longbows and recurves! Had a chance to buy a Blackwidow recurve early last year for $400.00 cash but it was a righty, I couldnt shoot it!! Probably should have bought it for resale and made about 5 or 6 hundred dollar profit on it. Was too busy and that was about a week or two before I had my heart attack. Still I could shoot my Bandito recurve if we shot short or intermediate range only. I think the poundage is a bit too light for any really long distance shooting.
Bro' you better stretch those shooting muscles. I shot in my backyard about half an hour last weekend, using a light Ben Pearson longbow. Didnt want to injure that shoulder that gave me such problems last year! I'm already getting myself shot in! -Tyr

I hear ya! I need to get back on the horse but there is so much going on right now (mentally and physically). I figured you'd pick up on my challenge being a bit on the humor side BUT, I must warn you that I'm no 'dandy' and I'd probably show off a bit (right or left bow). I shoot them all and can adjust quickly to ANYONE's bow at ANY style. You've already exposed your weaknesses...and I'm not talking about physical ailments. HA!!! As mentioned in no great detail, my son is a much better shot BUT when playing "HORSE" and if under a limited distance, I am quit an adversary. There's one particular shot that he has yet to master. It is one that I beat the britches off of him and that is to lay flat beside a log, stretch the bow over the log and hit the desired location of the 3D dear, Turkey, Coyote or Rabbit. I've never had to take this shot in an actual hunting situation but I believe I could pull it off and it is an ideal position if there's no other way.

Still, I do have high respect for you and your style because I've shot with others like you. Perhaps we'll be able to show off a bit one of these days. I'll even throw a few arrows at a flying or moving target if you like. I may even try the "arrow that isn't aimed" thingy. HA! That's taking instinctive shooting to an all new level as I'm sure you know. My granddad always told me: "Don't aim a shotgun or bow....just shoot the darn thing." Heck, if I still had my coon dog, I'd take you out on a coon hunt with bow in hand. I've been known to shoot coon and ground hog out of a 60-70' tree before. Didn't know ground hog could climb...and I'm sure he didn't either (until the hounds got on his @$$). HA!!!

Now chess is a different story altogether....I don't know what is wrong but I'm nowhere near the chess player I once was (not that my chess playing was ever impressive). HA!!!

Take care my friend, it is now late and I've got FRESH garden goodies for supper!!!

PS: Where's Granny Hawkins...another archer/bow hunter?!!! Post GRANNY! That's my challenge to you....and don't say that my ground hog story is poppycock!

Shadow
07-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Well, Shadow, you could arm your arrows with dye tips. Then you could video the animal that you could have killed but chose not to. I can't believe this hasn't caught on...especially big ranches that could support ALL kinds of clients. I have a friend in church who hunts ONLY with a knife. They go head to head with wild boar! I don't know if he's stupid or simply taking the PRIMETIVE aspect of hunting to an awfully dangerous extreme!!! I don't hunt with a knife, spear or gun...and I don't go sticking my arm in a hole or old log under water either!!!! I'd rather remain the HUNTER! HA!! Good thread TYR! I hope it has a long life and is full of positive posters!

Ummm....there is NO WAY I am sticking my arms in holes to catch these (below)...I've seen crazy people do it (noodling or whatever it's called) and...no thanks :laugh:

Die tips... I might could do. I probably couldn't hit the broad side of a barn anyway, so who could I hurt. ;)

red state
07-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Well, it isn't easy to hit a deer. It depends on your area, the experience of the animal and the hunting pressure. I've almost purposely missed LOW on animals when I knew the hunting pressure had increased because I was certain that it would dodge my arrow (usually by getting VERY low to the ground). It usually requires a good "read" on the animal's behavior but I highly recommend trying it. It may even save the animal because some folks couldn't bring themselves to shooting an animal that a bow hunter had "marked". Of course, it could provide someone else with an exceptional TARGET. HA!!! You could start with a normal paint ball gun. You may even be surprised to learn that some deer are so nervous that they could even dodge a paint ball (depending on the distance). They are extraordinary animals....just too bad that they are so good for you and taste so good. HA! The REAL health food!!!

Agreed, grappling (AKA grabbin' or grabbling) is not my idea of fun. The guy I told you about who boar hunts with a knife also grapples for catfish. Something is wrong with that good ole ****ry boy. HA!!!!

~Red State

red state
07-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Go BRAD GO!!!! Looks as though the WORLD better look out this time...Brad is in top form with no hip problems to keep him down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwrel&NR=1&v=qcC04dSM4VU

Here we find Brad going against France...blue jeans, huntin' cap and a really cool gun graphic on his quiver!!! HA! That thar is a "good ole boy" through and through. Home schooled, tenacious and free spirited....just like our Founding Fathers were. All American is what it is! Most liberals wouldn't know AMERICA if you shoved apple pie all in their face. What a shame...they are missing out on a lot!!!! And I wish it twern't so.

The actual Olympic Archery contest doesn't start till Aug. BUT the USA Team has already broken 'unofficial' Broken records during practice sessions.

Go USA!!!! BRAD GO!!!! GO US ARCHERY TEAM!!!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Go BRAD GO!!!! Looks as though the WORLD better look out this time...Brad is in top form with no hip problems to keep him down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwrel&NR=1&v=qcC04dSM4VU

Here we find Brad going against France...blue jeans, huntin' cap and a really cool gun graphic on his quiver!!! HA! That thar is a "good ole boy" through and through. Home schooled, tenacious and free spirited....just like our Founding Fathers were. All American is what it is! Most liberals wouldn't know AMERICA if you shoved apple pie all in their face. What a shame...they are missing out on a lot!!!! And I wish it twern't so.

The actual Olympic Archery contest doesn't start till Aug. BUT the USA Team has already broken 'unofficial' Broken records during practice sessions.

Go USA!!!! BRAD GO!!!! GO US ARCHERY TEAM!!!

Thanks my friend. A great video. That boy sure can shoot! Reminds me of a younger me.-;)
I wonder how good he is with longbow ,no sights, no stabilizer. Pure instinctive shooting at longer ranges?-Tyr

red state
07-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Thanks my friend. A great video. That boy sure can shoot! Reminds me of a younger me.-;)
I wonder how good he is with longbow ,no sights, no stabilizer. Pure instinctive shooting at longer ranges?-Tyr

I don't know BUT I'll show you what this old boy can do with a long bow; no nuthin'...just leave the pistol at the house! You know, I was and always have been too harsh on myself when bringing up pistols...I'm really not that bad. What I can pull off is shooting a snub nose (never have, never will). I remember Bob Munden pullin' off a 200 yard shot with a snub nose and I have problems keeping center mass at 10!!! HA!!! Those loud little boogers will certainly scare someone off though.

Hey! this isn't gettin' back on topic BUT, your inbox is full (AGAIN). ha!!!

red state
07-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Well, that Frenchy wasn't too shabby but his stance is poor and he showed signs of pressure too much. At that level, you can't allow it! I love watching Pro Billiard players and you can tell when the heat is on....unless you're a really cool character. Of course, you can be over confident! And with that comment, I'll share a most embarrassing story.

I once held private 3D events on my property and after a good shoot we all met back up at the watering hole. Well, for what ever reason, I threw my dixie cup down, drew an arrow (one with a broadhead on it) and told everyone as I drew back: Broadhead, gentlemen....broadhead." As I released, I noticed immediately that my 70+ yard shot was definitely on target....if the huge, hard barked hickory had been the target. Ha! Yep, I ate crow for a long while and NEVER got that broadhead back. I shot 92# then and it buried up pretty darn deep! HA!!!

I'm sure even the GREAT Brad has had to eat crow on a number of occasions....that's how you get really good....by taking chances.

red state
07-24-2012, 06:23 PM
I couldn't like Brady more if he were from the mountains of Tennessee or the foothills of Mississippi!!!!

The actual Olympic Archery contest doesn't start till Aug. BUT the USA Team has already broken 'unofficial' records during practice sessions. I never understood shooting sites on such a bow....but then again, I don't understand why they don't have divisions as regular 3-D tournaments have. It is really quite ridiculous if you think about it and I'd bet Brad could participate in BOTH or ALL events with whatever bow they have. HA! Check out the high-tec "stuff" on these bows...I see no reason why they limit such an event in the Olympics. Since they do that, they should only allow HAND MADE bows.

Bows generally are constructed of wood, fiberglass and graphite or carbon composites.
They have stabilizers to reduce torque (twisting) in the arrows upon release.
Sights & peeps are also used to aid in aiming and arrow rests help align the shot. All are very sophisticated.
Most strings are made of Fast Flight, a hydrocarbon product, or kevlar, the material used to make bulletproof vests.
Arrows are made of aluminum or carbon graphite, which are propelled in excess of 150 miles per hour.

Equipment costs (bow, arrows, accessories) will normally be over $1000 I just gotta order me one of those quivers!!! Outstanding! It is a wonder France allowed him to have such a 'statement'.

Whatever they use....Brad can do it and I'd bet he'd fair well with pistol and rifle shooting as well!!! He's a REAL American with American know-how & ability.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-24-2012, 06:49 PM
I don't know BUT I'll show you what this old boy can do with a long bow; no nuthin'...just leave the pistol at the house! You know, I was and always have been too harsh on myself when bringing up pistols...I'm really not that bad. What I can pull off is shooting a snub nose (never have, never will). I remember Bob Munden pullin' off a 200 yard shot with a snub nose and I have problems keeping center mass at 10!!! HA!!! Those loud little boogers will certainly scare someone off though.

Hey! this isn't gettin' back on topic BUT, your inbox is full (AGAIN). ha!!!

haha, you redneck goober, I'll bring my pistol and outbang ya, my Tom Cole longbow and outshoot ya, and my throwing knife and outthrow ya! No brag , just fact , as old man Sonnet used to say.:beer:
And if that dont twist your nose enough I'll bring my crayons and outcolor ya!-:laugh2:
Except in coloring we no use red. ha, :cool:--TZ

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-24-2012, 06:59 PM
I couldn't like Brady more if he were from the mountains of Tennessee or the foothills of Mississippi!!!!

The actual Olympic Archery contest doesn't start till Aug. BUT the USA Team has already broken 'unofficial' records during practice sessions. I never understood shooting sites on such a bow....but then again, I don't understand why they don't have divisions as regular 3-D tournaments have. It is really quite ridiculous if you think about it and I'd bet Brad could participate in BOTH or ALL events with whatever bow they have. HA! Check out the high-tec "stuff" on these bows...I see no reason why they limit such an event in the Olympics. Since they do that, they should only allow HAND MADE bows.

Bows generally are constructed of wood, fiberglass and graphite or carbon composites.
They have stabilizers to reduce torque (twisting) in the arrows upon release.
Sights & peeps are also used to aid in aiming and arrow rests help align the shot. All are very sophisticated.
Most strings are made of Fast Flight, a hydrocarbon product, or kevlar, the material used to make bulletproof vests.
Arrows are made of aluminum or carbon graphite, which are propelled in excess of 150 miles per hour.

Equipment costs (bow, arrows, accessories) will normally be over $1000 I just gotta order me one of those quivers!!! Outstanding! It is a wonder France allowed him to have such a 'statement'.

Whatever they use....Brad can do it and I'd bet he'd fair well with pistol and rifle shooting as well!!! He's a REAL American with American know-how & ability.

Who hasnt had to eat crow before except those too cowardly to ever take or offer a dare?
Myself, I wish they had three divisions in Olympic archery, 1. Longbow unaided, 2. Recurve unaided and 3. Modern Compounds with all the trimmings. And they shot targets at the ranges used in old English tournaments.
That my friend would up the interest, the competition and the glory IMHO.
Still, Brad shoots mighty damn good. I doubt that I could beat him at target shooting of the type in the video but if instinctive , bare bow longbow and moving targets at varying distances I'd have a good chance of winning possibly.
If he keeps his coooooooooool, I believe he will win..-Tyr

red state
07-25-2012, 02:25 AM
Who hasnt had to eat crow before except those too cowardly to ever take or offer a dare?
Myself, I wish they had three divisions in Olympic archery, 1. Longbow unaided, 2. Recurve unaided and 3. Modern Compounds with all the trimmings. And they shot targets at the ranges used in old English tournaments.
That my friend would up the interest, the competition and the glory IMHO.
Still, Brad shoots mighty damn good. I doubt that I could beat him at target shooting of the type in the video but if instinctive , bare bow longbow and moving targets at varying distances I'd have a good chance of winning possibly.
If he keeps his coooooooooool, I believe he will win..-Tyr

I whole heartedly agree...except for the old English target thing. I would like to see them start off with long bows/old English targets and continually back up till the last man is standing. Then I'd like to see them advance to moving targets with Recurve and with various difficulties. Finally, I'd like to see a 3D shoot with pop-ups as well as still shots as if it were a hunting situation...at elevations and so forth. Now THAT would be something to watch. Other than the Impossible Shots show on the Outdoor Channel, I quite watching that channel. It has gotten so boring! They really should have tournaments and stuff or at least cover brady in London. Some other channel had TOP SHOTS and that was really good for a while....till they started trying to be like SPIKE's MMA show with all the punks thinking their BAD@$$es and trashing the guest house and cutting each other down. That is a reason, in my opinion that SPIKE no longer has MMA...folks don't want to see TRASH! They tuned in to see training and fights!! The last episode I watched of that TOP SHOTS show was when they had a black Navy S.E.A.L. and he was such an idiot....thought he was tough until he had to face a good ole boy from the SOUTH!!! Folks just don't know that it is not the wisest thing to do is mess with an ole boy who can do just about anything and can take more than he may or may not be willing to dish out. HA!!!

Getting back on topic tho....we're on the same page for sure. I just doubt P.E.T.A. would allow a 3D shoot. KraZy loons from all over the world would have a fit and they'd have to increase security 110%! Sad really how stupid people really are.

I'll bet you that NOBODY could touch Brady if they has a total event with all sorts of bows as well as firearms! now that would be something to watch! He's certainly ready with that hip quiver of his....I just havta get me one of those!!!! Real BAD@$$ for sure!

Well, I'm gonna hit the hay (AGAIN). David was in late and woke me up. HA!!!

CSM
07-25-2012, 06:47 AM
Great thread! I love archery and like the posters here have been shooting for since I was a kid. At one time, I was co-owner of any archery shop/shooting range. I used to bow hunt but no longer enjoy it. Still love "paper" shooting though.

jimnyc
07-28-2012, 01:29 PM
I'm not sure how many events Ellison is in, but the name jogged my memory when I read this article, as the winner of the first medal overall for Team USA. This was the mens archery team event, not solo. Great for him and his teammates! :clap::clap:

U.S. wins 1st medal of London Games in thrilling men’s team archery finalLONDON — The U.S. men's archery team captured the silver medal on Saturday at Lord's Cricket Grounds, the first medal for the Americans at the London Olympics.

But they were one arrow away from their first archery gold since 1996, which instead went to the Italians.

The team of Brady Ellison, Jake Kaminski and Jacob Wukie were the No. 1-ranked team in the world headed into the Games, and survived a close match with Korea in the semifinal. Italy was ranked No. 9, and defeated Mexico.

After the first round, Italy held a 54-52 lead, which wasn't a stellar start for either team, as the breeze picked up at Lord's. They increased the lead to four, as Italy scored two 10's and Kaminski was the lone shooter to fire an eight.

To start the third round, the U.S. made a statement with two 10s, but Ellison could only manage an eight. Italy went 10-9-9; the U.S. responded with 10-10-9, followed by 10-8-9 for Italy. The Americans had closed to two points, with chants of "U-S-A" from the crowd. Six arrows remained for both teams.

In the final round, Kaminski scored a 10, Wukie a 9 and Ellison a 9. The Italians went 9-10-8, giving the U.S. an opening — their lead was one.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/u-wins-1st-medal-london-games-thrilling-men-173308389--oly.html

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-28-2012, 02:39 PM
Great thread! I love archery and like the posters here have been shooting for since I was a kid. At one time, I was co-owner of any archery shop/shooting range. I used to bow hunt but no longer enjoy it. Still love "paper" shooting though.

Do you shoot longbow, recurve or compound? I shoot longbow and recurve only with no sights no gadgets..
I am traditional archery all the way myself.. My nephew shoots a compound and he is quite good with it.-Tyr

CSM
07-30-2012, 09:22 AM
Do you shoot longbow, recurve or compound? I shoot longbow and recurve only with no sights no gadgets..
I am traditional archery all the way myself.. My nephew shoots a compound and he is quite good with it.-Tyr

I shoot mostly compound and occassionally recurve. I really am fascinated by precision shooting (love shooting airguns as in the Olympic events).

red state
07-30-2012, 10:05 AM
Yes, precision shooting (regardless of weapon) is a wonderful thing! As a wise man once said; "only accurate guns are interesting". Glad that you're not afraid to enjoy all aspects of shooting. I've shot just about everything and although it may be a shock to many within DP, I do not like shooting guns and prefer any type of archery equipment. I shoot crossbow, compound, recurve, long bow and have taken deer (left handed as well as right) with all (including rifle) with the exception of recurve and long bow. I've yet to hunt with these primitive weapons although I have shot them. I shoot with or without sights and am comfortable with either style. I HATE shooting guns without a scope just as much as I detest release aids in archery. I'm a bare finger man or I use home-made shooting tabs. Good to hear that there are more archers on this site. I'm still waiting on Granny Hawkins to chime in...come on GRANNY!!!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-30-2012, 10:09 AM
I shoot mostly compound and occassionally recurve. I really am fascinated by precision shooting (love shooting airguns as in the Olympic events).

Precision shooting is great. As teenagers we Southern country boys had our own version of it in which we used 22 caliber rifles.
We would find a suitable tree or powerline pole , nail in a number of nails 4 or 5 inches apart leaving about a quarter inch of the nail head not driven in, then at a pre-decided distance , usually 20 to 25 yards we would shoot to drive the nail all the way in . Its even much harder than one would original think because hitting the head of the nail doesnt always drive it in unless its hit dead center! My young eyes were good back then(late 60's) and since we shot with the winner getting a pot of money(combined bets) each time a nail was driven in I often ended up with the equivalent of a couple day's pay for shooting an hour or so. Also if we were drinking beer(years later) , we would bet money on shooting beer botles at about the same distance but the trick was to shoot to top of the neck off without breaking the rest of the bottle! Hard to do unless one shoots the top one inch of the neck of the bottle. Also used to use the old coke bottle caps nailed to a tree as our targets but at a greater distance, bet money on hitting them too. Hell, I've been gambling on shooting since I was about 12 years old.
You shoot a recurve . What brand or is it custom made? My favorite recurve currently is the Bandito recurve made by Howatt Archery in the 70's! Baby shoots like a dream, smooooooth as silk! No hand shock at all. However I still prefer shooting my longbows.-Tyr

jimnyc
08-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Sorry, Ellison fans, but I'm afraid Brady has "choked".

LONDON — Brady Ellison, whose No. 1 ranking and amiable personality made him the face of American archery, was eliminated in the men's individual Round of 16 on Wednesday in one of the most stunning results for the U.S. at the London Games.

Taylor Worth of Australia defeated Ellison 7-1 in set points, tallying 112 points overall to 106 for the Glendale, AZ native. Worth, 21, was ranked No. 44 in the world entering the event.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/shocker-u-archer-brady-ellison-no-1-ranked-154254513--oly.html

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Sorry, Ellison fans, but I'm afraid Brady has "choked".

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/shocker-u-archer-brady-ellison-no-1-ranked-154254513--oly.html

Archery competition requires both talent and iron discipline! Discipline increases the ability to perfom consistently at a very high level. Natural talent only goes so far. An off day could be to blame rather than choking! As an archer I know that no matter what one tries to correct their bad shooting on an off day the results rarely improve very much. I've had off days where I couldn't hit a plastic milk container at 20 paces! I've also had days where I could hit bullseyes in speed shooting at 25/35 yards. Speed shooting as we practiced it was also called instinctive shooting, that is the smooth and fast drawing of an arrow from your back quiver and in one quick as a flash movement, nock it and shoot it in one smooth and very fast motion. Practiced for fun and to improve eye/ hand coordination,instinctive sighting and proper stance when shooting. Hell, we have even done so when stump shooting with judo points . That we did at a bet of a dollar or even sometimes 5 spot a shot! All done shooting longbows or recurves with no sight aids or even shooting tabs/gloves.
Archery will see a big jump because of its popularity during these 2012 Olympic games.-Tyr

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/archery/story/archery-new-curling-hot-ticket-London-Olympics-080312/

Updated Aug 4, 2012 4:58 AM ET
LONDON (AP)
Maybe it's the effect of ''The Hunger Games'' and bow-and-arrow-toting heroine Katniss Everdeen, or the lure of competing at a 200-year-old venue. Or maybe it's the Robin Hood factor.
WORLD IS WATCHING
Olympic stars are squarely in the spotlight as Olympics hit their second week. STAR TRACKER.
Whatever the reason, archery is hot at the London Olympics - sometimes hotter than anything else NBC showed on its cable channels during the opening week of the games.

Much the same way curling became the can't-miss niche sport of the Vancouver Games two winters ago, archery shined in London.

''The profile of our sport,'' said Brady Ellison, the world's top-ranked archer who helped the U.S. win a team silver medal, ''has never been higher.''

About time, archers say.

The sport is getting a boost from the popular ''The Hunger Games,'' plus more archery in films like ''Brave'' and ''The Avengers.'' The sport was also showcased at a venue steeped in history — Lord's Cricket Ground has been the home of the sport featuring bats, not bows, since the early 1800s — there were many ingredients for intrigue at these Olympics.

And it delivered. NBC said archery even topped basketball when shown on its cable channels, averaging 1.5 million viewers.

''The new curling,'' is how NBC Research President Alan Wurtzel described archery. ''The numbers for archery have been nothing less than huge.''

The final arrow of these games was shot Friday, so the challenge now becomes keeping these new fans.

In London, the stands were filled for every session. Tickets were tough to find, in part because some locals apparently clamored for them just to see Lord's.

Much like curling, archery lacks mainstream status in the US, and almost certainly won't get there anytime soon. But the numbers from London show that people are fascinated by it, even if many might not understand what's happening beyond the basics — an archer, a bow, an arrow, a target.

Maybe that will change now.

''What helped was the movies, of course,'' said longtime archery official Don Rabska of the US, who coached actress Geena Davis when she tried to qualify for the 2000 Sydney Games. ''I think that really brought archery to the forefront, at least in the minds of the spectating public. People are seeing it and saying, 'Wow, archery's cool.' And with those movies in succession coming out bang-bang-bang drew a lot of interest.''

''It was the perfect storm,'' Rabska added. ''This iconic venue, and people seeing archery, created a draw.''

There was even a bit of controversy. A day after setting the first world records of the 2012 Games, visually impaired competitor Im Dong-hyun led South Korea to a bronze medal in the team event, then suggested his eyesight was less impaired than had been widely reported.

Disney's animated ''Brave'' came out earlier this year, the story of a princess who relies on archery to break a curse. ''The Avengers'' prominently featured the sport as well, and this fall, the CW Television Network is set to debut the show ''Arrow,'' which revolves around a bow-carrying vigilante.

''More than ever, everybody is kind of following archery a little bit right now,'' said U.S. archer Jacob Wukie, part of the silver-medalist team.

Without question, ''The Hunger Games'' played a huge role in generating attention. (Even LeBron James is a fan.) Katniss, the character played by Jennifer Lawrence, shoots an apple from the mouth of a roasted pig in the film. Lawrence spent 15 days training with Khatuna Lorig, who also represented the US in London, about 110 miles south of Sherwood Forest.

''It was really nice,'' Lorig said. ''It was a privilege for me to coach Jennifer Lawrence. It's just good for archery. Archery is a unique sport, a great sport, and keeping the kids interested is the best thing.''

There were perhaps as many young kids and teens at Lord's on Friday for the final archery matches as there were adults, and volunteers at the venue said that was the norm for the competition. For those unsure about what was happening, or what to do, big video screens offered hints, flashing ''Applause'' at times, ''Cheer'' at others.