PDA

View Full Version : U.S. pushes for more scientists, but the jobs aren’t there

Shadow
07-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Michelle Amaral wanted to be a brain scientist to help cure diseases. She planned a traditional academic science career: PhD, university professorship and, eventually, her own lab.
But three years after earning a doctorate in neuroscience, she gave up trying to find a permanent job in her field.Dropping her dream, she took an administrative position at her university, experiencing firsthand an economic reality that, at first look, is counterintuitive: There are too many laboratory scientists for too few jobs.
That reality runs counter to messages sent by President Obama and the National Science Foundation and other influential groups, who in recent years have called for U.S. universities to churn out more scientists.

Obama has made science education a priority, launching a White House science fair to get young people interested in the field.
But it’s questionable whether those youths will be able to find work when they get a PhD. Although jobs in some high-tech areas, especially computer and petroleum engineering, seem to be booming, the market is much tighter for lab-bound scientists — those seeking new discoveries in biology, chemistry and medicine.

“There have been many predictions of [science] labor shortages and . . . robust job growth,” said Jim Austin, editor of the online magazine ScienceCareers (http://sciencecareers.sciencemag.org/). “And yet, it seems awfully hard for people to find a job. Anyone who goes into science expecting employers to clamor for their services will be deeply disappointed.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/us-pushes-for-more-scientists-but-the-jobs-arent-there/2012/07/07/gJQAZJpQUW_story.html?hpid=z1

Dilloduck
07-08-2012, 12:09 PM
I still say that we have completed the job called America. There's nothing more to be done. It sucks to work yourself out of a job. I guess we could go fix Mars if anyone can pay for it.

Shadow
07-08-2012, 01:03 PM
I still say that we have completed the job called America. There's nothing more to be done. It sucks to work yourself out of a job. I guess we could go fix Mars if anyone can pay for it.

Catch 22. Push for jobs in a field (research and development) that you are killing with Obamacare....where you won't have much use for long term therapy. And where the administration is also at odds with Big Pharma.

Dilloduck
07-08-2012, 01:27 PM
I guess half of America could be sick and the other half heal them. Who needs money when you have your health?

fj1200
07-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Obama has made science education a priority, launching a White House science fair to get young people interested in the field.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/us-pushes-for-more-scientists-but-the-jobs-arent-there/2012/07/07/gJQAZJpQUW_story.html?hpid=z1

I guess it's too much to ask to make entrepreneurship a priority. :(

Kathianne
07-09-2012, 11:43 PM
I'm as down on Obama as anyone could be, however anyone that's earned a Phd since he was elected and claiming it's his fault? Nonsense.

fj1200
07-09-2012, 11:49 PM
I'm as down on Obama as anyone could be, however anyone that's earned a Phd since he was elected and claiming it's his fault? Nonsense.

Perhaps, maybe she could rail against tenure that creates entrenched professors that limit her opportunities while she's at it.

Kathianne
07-09-2012, 11:51 PM
Perhaps, maybe she could rail against tenure that creates entrenched professors that limit her opportunities while she's at it.

And universities that have many more administrators than professors.

fj1200
07-09-2012, 11:57 PM
And universities that have many more administrators than professors.

One can't expect an in-depth analysis of the intereconnectedness of a modern economy in a piece like that so it's best to go for the quick hits like this:

The pharmaceutical industry once was a haven for biologists and chemists who did not go into academia. Well-paying, stable research jobs were plentiful in the Northeast, the San Francisco Bay area and other hubs. But a decade of slash-and-burn mergers; stagnating profit; exporting of jobs to India, China and Europe; and declining investment in research and development have dramatically shrunk the U.S. drug industry, with research positions taking heavy hits.

... to get everyone riled up.

Kathianne
07-10-2012, 12:08 AM
One can't expect an in-depth analysis of the intereconnectedness of a modern economy in a piece like that so it's best to go for the quick hits like this:

... to get everyone riled up.

Serious tort reform is needed regarding the pharmaceuticals, the risks and benefits of R & D just do not pan out. Takes too long to bring to market, the time before generics are allowed too short, and if there are side effects, which is always, the lawyers are waiting.

They are better off repackaging Tylenol and Advil.

07-10-2012, 01:30 AM
Why not create her own job? Or look for ways to do so.

Lots of scientists have created their own jobs and moved the world forward. She just needs to get outside her academic box.

sundaydriver
07-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Michelle Amaral wanted to be a brain scientist to help cure diseases. She planned a traditional academic science career: PhD, university professorship and, eventually, her own lab.
But three years after earning a doctorate in neuroscience, she gave up trying to find a permanent job in her field.Dropping her dream, she took an administrative position at her university, experiencing firsthand an economic reality that, at first look, is counterintuitive: There are too many laboratory scientists for too few jobs.
That reality runs counter to messages sent by President Obama and the National Science Foundation and other influential groups, who in recent years have called for U.S. universities to churn out more scientists.

Obama has made science education a priority, launching a White House science fair to get young people interested in the field. But it’s questionable whether those youths will be able to find work when they get a PhD. Although jobs in some high-tech areas, especially computer and petroleum engineering, seem to be booming, the market is much tighter for lab-bound scientists — those seeking new discoveries in biology, chemistry and medicine.

“There have been many predictions of [science] labor shortages and . . . robust job growth,” said Jim Austin, editor of the online magazine ScienceCareers (http://sciencecareers.sciencemag.org/). “And yet, it seems awfully hard for people to find a job. Anyone who goes into science expecting employers to clamor for their services will be deeply disappointed.”

Actually Obama is correct on this one. We do need more people in the sciences and I and others have not had much difficulty finding jobs in the recent past or present. The people with a BS or a Masters are doing well but I can see the difficulty in a narrow field with a PhD getting a professorship and then their own lab that requires a large operational budget and years for development and trials. Personally I have lost two positions and left one as a Chemist since 2002. The longest I was unemployed was 9 weeks.

In the past year my present employer has hired anywhere from 30 to 40 new employees with science degrees to work in labs and QA. We currently have a Cellulosic ethanol project winding down and several of the scientists decided to move to new projects outside the company and found what they wanted in a very short time.

Microbiology is a hot job at the moment in manufacturing. Many businesses in this area are also in dire need of skilled craftsmen.

gabosaurus
07-10-2012, 09:28 PM
You need to find the field where there is a need. Like jobs with technical knowledge. There are tons of high paying jobs, if you are trained and willing to work in an oil field in North Dakota.
One of my best friends is a certified athletic trainer. When she expressed a desire to move to Southern California, I found a couple of dozen schools that wanted her.
Want to make a high salary starting out, have a ton of job security and more time off than in most occupations? Become a teacher in Los Angeles inner city schools. You have to supply your own body armor, though.

Kathianne
07-10-2012, 11:15 PM
You need to find the field where there is a need. Like jobs with technical knowledge. There are tons of high paying jobs, if you are trained and willing to work in an oil field in North Dakota.
One of my best friends is a certified athletic trainer. When she expressed a desire to move to Southern California, I found a couple of dozen schools that wanted her.
Want to make a high salary starting out, have a ton of job security and more time off than in most occupations? Become a teacher in Los Angeles inner city schools. You have to supply your own body armor, though.

I agree. Today's high school students are getting more and better information than 'just go to college.' Our Jr. College offers extensive certification for many specialties. I check out one. Mammography Technologist. Total: 5 semesters of college. 2 years for certification in radiography; 1 semester for mammography. Average salary:

http://www1.salary.com/Mammography-Technologist-Salary.html

The median expected salary for a typical Mammography Technologist (http://www1.salary.com/Mammography-Technologist-Salary.html#JD) in the United States is $61,450. This basic market pricing report was prepared using our Certified Compensation Professionals' analysis (http://swz.salary.com/docs/salwizhtmls/methodology.html) of survey data collected from thousands of HR departments at employers of all sizes, industries and geographies.