PDA

View Full Version : Another executive order - Control of communications in a crisis

jimnyc
07-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Depending on who is reading it, it can either be benign or yet another step in a power grab from this administration. Thoughts?

Executive Order -- Assignment of National Security and Emergency Preparedness Communications Functions EXECUTIVE ORDER
- - - - - - -
ASSIGNMENT OF NATIONAL SECURITY AND
EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS COMMUNICATIONS FUNCTIONS
By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, it is hereby ordered as follows:
Section 1. Policy. The Federal Government must have the ability to communicate at all times and under all circumstances to carry out its most critical and time sensitive missions. Survivable, resilient, enduring, and effective communications, both domestic and international, are essential to enable the executive branch to communicate within itself and with: the legislative and judicial branches; State, local, territorial, and tribal governments; private sector entities; and the public, allies, and other nations. Such communications must be possible under all circumstances to ensure national security, effectively manage emergencies, and improve national resilience. The views of all levels of government, the private and nonprofit sectors, and the public must inform the development of national security and emergency preparedness (NS/EP) communications policies, programs, and capabilities.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/07/06/executive-order-assignment-national-security-and-emergency-preparedness-

Kathianne
07-08-2012, 04:27 PM
I must admit that upon reading what you posted, I thought, "What's the big deal? Of course the President must have the ability to communicate and receive from all sources during all periods of difficulties or not."

Out of curiosity I hit the link, wow, it was much longer. There's reasons to add the elipsis, (...). After trying to wade through all the sections and subsections, I was still wondering, "Why?"

So being me, did a search:
Assignment of National Security and Emergency Preparedness Communications Functions

Found this:

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/47912

...After reviewing this order, one is forced to wonder whether the actual function of this order is to assure continuity of communications during an actual emergency, or if this order is designed to expand the control of all communications by implementing measures that redefine crises and emergencies. In the context of the most recent orders implemented by the stroke of his pen, it would appear that Obama is more concerned with command and control than ensuring continuity of communications during times of actual national emergencies.
When viewed in the broader context of the NDAA, supported legislation such as SOPA, PIPA, and ACTA, and his infamous National Defense Resource Preparedness order of March 16, 2012, a discernible pattern of complete control and takeover of all aspects of our infrastructure is emerging.

In this context, it is becoming quite clear that Obama is obsessed with absolute control. Now he’ll have the ability to tell you about it on your cell phone, the internet, radio and television at his whim.

revelarts
07-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Executive orders often involve some kind of assumption of extra-constitutional authority.

A quick read it seems to me that this is just worded to broadly.

Sure the gov't needs to be able to communicate with itself and other foreign/local gov'ts and
often private corps as well. And they need back-up systems for that.

But the way it's worded it sound like they can TAKE OVER Any communication system they say they need "at all times and under all circumstances to carry out its most critical and time sensitive missions." that just mean any old time and anyone's stuff it seems to me. Most critical could mean just keeping my gov't job or almost anything.

If we could completely trust the gov't with this i'd have no more problem with this than with a cop taking my cell phone or car in an real emergency. But wheres the accountability for the executive branch here, and what agencies does this apply to?
I'd guess all of them, so the in the extreme the Arm core of Engineers, the forest service, Dept of energy, education, EPA, FDA, IRS or Dept of Ag guy might say we need your farm for communications tower. Or they might claim a private radio station as essential for their communications or an internet site or newspaper, and it's legal under executive order here it seems.

It's just to broad.
And doesn't the "emergency broadcast system" handle some of what this is supposedly addressing?
Seems to me Gov't needs to create it's own "BAT phone" system and get some decent satellite phones and maybe use the old recently abandoned analog tv bands as back up or sumthin, so they don't have to claim they need Any and every communications outlet to perform their "critical missions"

Gaffer
07-08-2012, 04:51 PM
My martial law scenario is starting to look a little more factual. Another egg in place.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-08-2012, 06:05 PM
My martial law scenario is starting to look a little more factual. Another egg in place.

Exactly, the more specific an order the less overal power , the broader an order the more power can be grabbed. If obama is behind it and he is then its bad for all of us. Going to come in quite handy for him as election seasons goes forward. He can at any time stop rightwing talk radio with this Executive order. Another brick is laid !

CAME OUT JUST IN TIME FOR THIS COMING INTERNET MONDAY !!!! HMMMM... -Tyr