PDA

View Full Version : Same Sex Classrooms Growing In Number

Kathianne
07-08-2012, 04:14 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/more-public-schools-splitting-boys-girls-182128857.html

Actually the research regarding success for both boys and girls is quite astounding. Problem is it goes against CW. Girls tend not to dress for 'girls' unless there is competition for boys attention. Girls that have an interest in math/science are leaders in their classes, while in co-ed classes boys historically have tended to shine. That has changed over the past 20 years, boys tend to be at the bottom of nearly all classes.

Boys are more able to follow the lessons when not being held to the less energetic girls. In a classroom of all boys, only the hyperactive stand out. Both literature and supplemental readings can be geared to high interest level of males, in co-ed classes girls tend to suggest reading materials.

From the article linked above:

More public schools splitting up boys, girlshttp://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/oXh_6AJBHy_uEbdrklkymA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9Zml0O2g9Mjg-/http://l.yimg.com/os/152/2012/04/21/image001-png_162613.png (http://www.ap.org/)<cite id="yui_3_5_1_24_1341777786224_398" class="byline vcard">By HEATHER HOLLINGSWORTH and JESSIE L. BONNER

</cite>MIDDLETON, Idaho (AP) — Robin Gilbert didn't set out to confront gender stereotypes when she split up the boys and girls at her elementary school in rural southwestern Idaho.

But that's exactly what happened, with her Middleton Heights Elementary now among dozens of public schools nationwide being targeted by the American Civil Liberties Union in a bitter struggle over whether single-sex learning should be continued. Under pressure, single-sex programs have been dropped at schools from Missouri to Louisiana.

"It doesn't frustrate me," Gilbert said of the criticism, "but it makes the work harder."

While Gilbert's school is believed to be the only one in Idaho offering single-sex classes, the movement is widespread in states like South Carolina, which has more than 100 schools that offer some form of a single-gender program.

Single-sex classes began proliferating after the U.S. Education Department relaxed restrictions in 2006. With research showing boys, particularly minority boys, are graduating at lower rates than girls and faring worse on tests, plenty of schools were paying attention.

In 2002, only about a dozen schools were separating the sexes, according to the National Association for Single Sex Public Education, an advocacy group. Now, an estimated 500 public schools across the country offer some all-boy and all-girl classrooms.

Proponents argue the separation allows for a tailored instruction and cuts down on gender-driven distractions among boys and girls, such as flirting. But critics decry the movement as promoting harmful gender stereotypes and depriving kids of equal educational opportunities. The ACLU claims many schools offer the classes in a way that conflicts with the U.S. Constitution and Title IX, a federal law banning sex discrimination in education. Researchers also have weighed in....

fj1200
07-09-2012, 12:47 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/more-public-schools-splitting-boys-girls-182128857.html

Actually the research regarding success for both boys and girls is quite astounding. Problem is it goes against CW. Girls tend not to dress for 'girls' unless there is competition for boys attention. Girls that have an interest in math/science are leaders in their classes, while in co-ed classes boys historically have tended to shine. That has changed over the past 20 years, boys tend to be at the bottom of nearly all classes.

Boys are more able to follow the lessons when not being held to the less energetic girls. In a classroom of all boys, only the hyperactive stand out. Both literature and supplemental readings can be geared to high interest level of males, in co-ed classes girls tend to suggest reading materials.

From the article linked above:

Proponents argue the separation allows for a tailored instruction and cuts down on gender-driven distractions among boys and girls, such as flirting. But critics decry the movement as promoting harmful gender stereotypes and depriving kids of equal educational opportunities. The ACLU claims many schools offer the classes in a way that conflicts with the U.S. Constitution and Title IX, a federal law banning sex discrimination in education. Researchers also have weighed in....

Ridiculous IMO. Separate does mean unequal.

Abbey Marie
07-09-2012, 01:33 PM
All girls Catholic high school with uniforms, for me. I can't compare it directly, since I never went to a coed HS. But I can say that the uniforms helped a lot to ease the fashion parade, and made it easier for us poor girls to not feel less-than. Of course, we rolled the skirts up to make them short. :laugh:

But I did spend a good part of my day daydreaming about my social life after school, and about my college boyfriend picking me up in his Mustang. :cool:

Noir
07-09-2012, 01:40 PM
I'd put a +1 to same sex schooling, went to an all boys grammar myself, and i've no doubt the craic was much better because of it.