PDA

View Full Version : See the pyramids in Egypt while you can - they want to destroy them!

jimnyc
07-11-2012, 09:11 AM
'Muslim clerics' call for the demolition of Egypt's pyramids, as 'pagan symbols'
It appears the famous Egyptian pyramids may be under threat, if American ultra-conservative Frontpage Magazine, is to be believed.

High-profile Muslim clerics have begun to call for the demolition of Egypt's Great Pyramids.
Saudi Sheikh Ali bin Said al-Rabi'I has previously referred to Egypt’s biggest tourist attraction as those "symbols of paganism," and Egypt's Salafi party has long planned to cover them with wax.

http://www.tntmagazine.com/news/travel/muslim-clerics-call-for-the-demolition-of-egypts-pyramids-as-pagan-symbols
http://www.aina.org/news/2012071094423.htm

KarlMarx
07-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Some of the lesser known pyramids probably could be.. but the pyramids at Giza, good luck. Some of the stones in those pyramids weigh as much as a freight train, and they average the weight of a large car... not to mention that each of the pyramids has several million of these good sized stones.... according to Herodotus, it took 100,000 men 20 years to build the Great Pyramid, that may be an exaggeration but not too much... it would take thousands of men to demolish them... and I don't know how they would find the equipment that would be able to handle it... keep in mind the pyramids at Giza are several hundred feet high, several hundred feet long at each side on the base and almost entirely solid stone....

anyway, that kind of labor force could be put to better purposes, like flying planes into skyscrapers, killing innocent civilians, or annihilating the Jews.

jimnyc
07-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Some of the lesser known pyramids probably could be.. but the pyramids at Giza, good luck. Some of the stones in those pyramids weigh as much as a freight train, and they average the weight of a large car... not to mention that each of the pyramids has several million of these good sized stones.... according to Herodotus, it took 100,000 men 20 years to build the Great Pyramid, that may be an exaggeration but not too much... it would take thousands of men to demolish them... and I don't know how they would find the equipment that would be able to handle it... keep in mind the pyramids at Giza are several hundred feet high, several hundred feet long at each side on the base and almost entirely solid stone....

anyway, that kind of labor force could be put to better purposes, like flying planes into skyscrapers, killing innocent civilians, or annihilating the Jews.

I think even to deface them would be a mistake. Even if they try and fail, they would leave them permanently damaged. The world will be watching though.

Roo
07-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Aren't we ALL happy at how"Moderate , Peaceful" Islam is stepping up to control this violent "minority" ?

KarlMarx
07-11-2012, 10:23 AM
I think even to deface them would be a mistake. Even if they try and fail, they would leave them permanently damaged. The world will be watching though.

The pyramids look the way they do because of the defacement they've suffered over the centuries (modern day Cairo was built using the stones from the Great Pyramid)... but I agree, it would be a mistake and a shame... and what would the point of the whole exercise be?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-11-2012, 10:30 AM

Agreed that labor force could have even more pure muslim activities to engage in!
It's Egypt, our government give billions in aid. We will possibly pay for the demolition with our insane giving of aid money which would not cost anywhere near a billion dollars. -Tyr

jafar00
07-11-2012, 04:06 PM
This thread is pure comedy. My sides are splitting. :laugh:

This is obviously a fake story just like the one where Egyptian authorities were supposedly planning to allow husbands to have farewell sex with their wives.

Kathianne
07-11-2012, 04:19 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2077964/The-Salafist-partys-plan-Pyramids--cover-wax.html

The Salafist party's plan for the Pyramids? Cover them in wax <script src="http://scripts.dailymail.co.uk/js/diggthis.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
By Michael Burleigh (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?s=&authornamef=Michael+Burleigh)
UPDATED: 06:06 EST, 23 December 2011

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/2012/07/11/islamists-calling-for-pyramids-destruction/

...The calls to destroy the Pyramids are certainly fringe, and do not represent the vast majority of the Egyptian public or the Egyptian leadership, even amongst the Muslim Brotherhood. Still, that such a fringe and wacky idea gains any voice in Arabic media or on Islamist websites should be cause for concern, given precedent.
In March 2001, the Taliban dynamited (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fd/Destruction_of_Buddhas_March_21_2001.jpg) the great Buddhas at Bamian, a UNESCO world heritage site. Their destruction came after repeated assurances that no such action would be taken. The destruction of the 1,500-year-old Buddhas came six years after the Clinton administration began its initiative to diplomatically engage the Taliban to bring the group into the community of nations. There were even calls within the State Department to recognize the Taliban who, diplomats reasoned, were no worse than the Saudis and controlled 90 percent of Afghan territory. Fortunately, George W. Bush put a stop to that.

Currently, Islamists in northern Mali are destroying (http://world.time.com/2012/07/10/destroying-timbuktu-the-jihadist-who-inspires-the-demolition-of-the-shrines/) historic Sufi shrines in Timbuktu, sites I was fortunate enough to visit a decade ago as a tourist (http://www.michaelrubin.org/1216/deserted). The logic of the Islamists is the same. Embracing a radical interpretation of Islam promoted on the back of Saudi petrodollars, the Islamists claim that the shrines which have stood for centuries during periods when even the most religious Muslims understood tolerance, somehow contradict the tenets of Islam by promoting worship of saints.

It is this same logic that has led Saudi architect and archaeologist Sami Angawi (http://www.meforum.org/919/dissident-watch-sami-angawi) to bury and hide archaeological sites he has excavated from the time and, indeed, life of the Prophet Muhammad as Saudi authorities have destroyed 95 percent of Mecca’s ancient and historical buildings...

jimnyc
07-11-2012, 04:28 PM

This is obviously a fake story just like the one where Egyptian authorities were supposedly planning to allow husbands to have farewell sex with their wives.

"There are no American infidels in Baghdad. Never!"

"They're not even [within] 100 miles [of Baghdad]. They are not in any place. They hold no place in Iraq. This is an illusion ... they are trying to sell to the others an illusion."

That you, Bob?

Nukeman
07-11-2012, 07:42 PM

Rally?? why would it be fake, Muslims have shown their insecurities REPEATEDLY over how they have distroyed historical tombs and religous site, or are YOU going to deny that???

I can NOT fanthom how a whole group of people can be so insecure and hatefull of others religion, Why is that Jafar, or is this ONCE again only a few who "aren't real Muslims"?? Hmm Doesn't that record get tired of being played??

jafar00
07-11-2012, 08:24 PM
"There are no American infidels in Baghdad. Never!"

"They're not even [within] 100 miles [of Baghdad]. They are not in any place. They hold no place in Iraq. This is an illusion ... they are trying to sell to the others an illusion."

That you, Bob?

I don't get the reference.

Rally?? why would it be fake

Because it is not based on anything said by the Egyptian government. In other words, it is based on a bigoted viewpoint and speculation on what the Ihwan might do, and what the minority Salafis might like to do.

Unless the Egyptian government announces officially that they are going to stab themselves in the heart by destroying their history that brings scores of tourists and their money to Egypt each year, the idea that they would destroy the Pyramids is laughable at best.

Despite what the lunatic fringe wants, there is a lot of history left untouched in the Middle East. If there really were an Islamic conspiracy or desire to destroy it all, we wouldn't be having this discussion. It would have been done years ago.

mundame
07-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Fundamentalist Muslims are certainly a particularly disgusting people quite apart from their violence --- They want to destroy any monument pre-Prophet and after the pyramids will pull down the cathedrals in Europe as soon as they get enough power.

And that business in Egypt of Muslim clerics saying men could have sex with their dead wives up to I think it was 12 hours ---- I was on a forum where somebody ranted about how that was a hoax, but it wasn't --- it was easy to trace it right back actual statements reported in the news in the Egyptian press.

They are really like this. I think it's a big mistake to pretend that people don't mean what they say. Of COURSE they mean what they say!! And generally they do it, too, if they possibly can. That's why those Buddhist statues in Afghanistan are no more and now the Timbuktoo monuments are going down in piles of dust.

mundame
07-11-2012, 08:53 PM
I figured out today, reading about the Gutenberg Bible printed around 1450, why Muslims go batshit about Korans getting destroyed or maltreated. We can't understand that, because to us, they are only books -- it's not the book-as-object that matters in the case of the Bible, it's what's in it.

They don't think this way because they are stuck in the Middle Ages before the printing press was invented!!

Their values about Korans are predicated on the idea that it takes people months and years to make a single copy of the Koran, by hand-copying, so they are very valuable. It is unlikely that even Muslims actually DO that anymore, presumably they print books or have them done in Europe or China like everyone else, but they still think that way, rioting and killing people if a Koran is harmed.