PDA

View Full Version : Romney Gets Standing Ovation From NAACP

red states rule
07-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Perhaps the crowd at the NAACP was shocked to hear some straight talk from a politican and not the bumper sticker slogans they are use to from Obama and Biden

and the liberal media calls it a "negative reaction"

http://www.mrctv.org/videos/romney-gets-standing-ovation-naacp-cnn-calls-reception-very-negative

Thunderknuckles
07-11-2012, 03:18 PM
He got boo-ed and cheered by the NAACP.
Overall, I'd say its a wash. If Romney's lucky he'll get 10% of the black vote

red states rule
07-11-2012, 03:20 PM

No doubt he will not get much of the black vote, but the liberal media's "reporting" of the crowd reaction was about what I expected

Kathianne
07-11-2012, 03:33 PM

If he got 10% of black vote, that means that Obama would have lost 6%. That's significant. I too doubt he'll be that 'lucky', however Obama will be losing many more votes from blacks that don't turn out. Black unemployment is over 14%. Black youth unemployment-16-28 years old is nearing 40%.

gabosaurus
07-11-2012, 03:34 PM

It's just RSR wearing the rose colored one way glasses again. :rolleyes:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Romney-draws-boos-applause-from-NAACP-crowd-3699210.php

red states rule
07-11-2012, 03:35 PM
If he got 10% of black vote, that means that Obama would have lost 6%. That's significant. I too doubt he'll be that 'lucky', however Obama will be losing many more votes from blacks that don't turn out. Black unemployment is over 14%. Black youth unemployment-16-28 years old is nearing 40%.

Considering blacks are doing much worse under Obama it is amazing if he does lnot lose some of that vote

red states rule
07-11-2012, 03:36 PM
It's just RSR wearing the rose colored one way glasses again. :rolleyes:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Romney-draws-boos-applause-from-NAACP-crowd-3699210.php

Yea Gabby, what liberal would see anything good in this speech?

“If equal opportunity in America were an accomplished fact, black families could send their sons and daughters to public schools that truly offer the hope of a better life. Instead, for generations, the African-American community has been waiting and waiting for that promise to be kept. Today, black children are 17 percent of students nationwide – but they are 42 percent of the students in our worst-performing schools. Our society sends them into mediocre schools and expects them to perform with excellence, and that is not fair. Frederick Douglass observed that, “It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.” Yet, instead of preparing these children for life, too many schools set them up for failure. Everyone in this room knows that we owe them better than that.

“I’m hopeful that together we can set a new direction in federal policy, starting where many of our problems do – with the family. A study from the Brookings Institution has shown that for those who graduate from high school, get a full-time job, and wait until 21 before they marry and then have their first child, the probability of being poor is two percent. And if those factors are absent, the probability of being poor is 76 percent.

"Here at the NAACP, you understand the deep and lasting difference the family makes. Your former executive director, Dr. Benjamin Hooks, had it exactly right. The family, he said, “remains the bulwark and the mainstay of the black community. That great truth must not be overlooked.”

"Any policy that lifts up and honors the family is going to be good for the country, and that must be our goal. As President, I will promote strong families – and I will defend traditional marriage."

"As you may have heard from my opponent, I am also a believer in the free-enterprise system. I believe it can bring change where so many well-meaning government programs have failed. I’ve never heard anyone look around an impoverished neighborhood and say, “You know, there’s too much free enterprise around here. Too many shops, too many jobs, too many people putting money in the bank.”

What you hear, of course, is how do we bring in jobs? How do we make good, honest employers want to move in and stay? And with the shape this economy is in, we’re asking that more than ever.

Free enterprise is still the greatest force for upward mobility, economic security, and the expansion of the middle class. We have seen in recent years what it’s like to have less free enterprise. As President, I will show the good things that can happen when we have more – more business activity, more jobs, more opportunity, more paychecks, more savings accounts.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2012/07/11/romney_receives_standing_ovation_for_straight_talk _at_naacp_convention

gabosaurus
07-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Yea Gabby, what liberal would see anything good in this speech?

Why not read about the speech from a real web site, as opposed to a right wing blog?

Kudos to Romney for speaking to the NAACP. He went there and didn't pander like others have done. How many GOP candidates would address the main constituency of the NAACP?

Thunderknuckles
07-11-2012, 03:45 PM
I think you're right on the black voter turnout. But, I'd bet dollars to donuts that Obama get's 100% of the black vote for the age group 18-28 despite the dismal unemployment numbers.
Romney's best bet is middle-aged black home owners who actually have skin in the game.

red states rule
07-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Why not read about the speech from a real web site, as opposed to a right wing blog?

Kudos to Romney for speaking to the NAACP. He went there and didn't pander like others have done. How many GOP candidates would address the main constituency of the NAACP?

As usual Gabby you dismiss the common sense he spoke since you lap up the liberal common nonsense

What the crowd did not like was he siad he would repeal Obamacare - which every poll I have seen shows a majority wants

What Mitt did was give the NAACP a clear contrast between him and Obama. And that may be what has your tail feathers in an uproar

Kathianne
07-11-2012, 03:49 PM
While ABC does say that Romney's team was 'spinning positive' they weren't alone according to this article:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/07/romney-naacp-speech-crossed-line-or-positive-reception/

HOUSTON–Mitt Romney’s address to the NAACP clearly offended some in the audience who booed and said he “crossed the line” when he vowed to repeal Obamacare and lobbed insults at the president. But the Romney campaign’s spinmasters saw it differently, maintaining that the candidate received a “positive reception.”
That reception today included three consecutive boos–including a round of jeers that lasted 14 seconds in response to his vow to end Obamacare. But he did receive a standing ovation at the end and a few people in the ballroom told ABC News that the GOP candidate did make some legitimate points.

“When he went too far, they went too far,” said Patricia Kane, a NAACP member from Los Angeles, referring to Romney’s line in which he called Obamacare a ‘non-essential expensive program” he would eliminate if elected. “He crossed the line so they responded.”

Kane, along with several other members of the audience, added that Romney’s remark that the president “has not” and “will not” and “cannot” do the things he promised to do when in office went “a little bit too far.”

“I don’t know that if Obama would go that far in an audience that is predominately supporting Mitt Romney,” said Kane. K's ed: 'When has Obama ever appeared to an audience that would predominately support his opposition?' Meme: that's one of the reasons in all likelihood that he did receive the standing O. He respected those that oppose him and addressed them honestly, 'in fact too honestly, by going 'too far.''

But the Romney campaign, deploying two senior policy advisers to talk to the press following Romney’s speech, said they were “pleasantly surprised by the positive reception,” insisting that there were more applause breaks than there were boos. Several of his talking points did garner applause – albeit tepid – from the crowd.

“I think actually there was a lot more applause, he had a standing ovation at the end, there was a lot more applause than disagreement,” said Romney policy advisor Tara Wall. “Obviously there’s going to be some disagreement we understand folks aren’t going to agree with us 100 percent. But at the end of the day Gov. Romney’s message was bold, he said things that needed to be said he’s said what he’s always said about ending Obamacare and about bringing this economy back.”

Romney was booed a second time when he suggested the President had not fulfilled his promises while in office, and a third time when he said he’s the man who “will make things better in the African American community.”

Homer Cobb, a voter from Indiana, said that while he did not boo Romney he understood why those around him did.

“He’s never been to a hospital where the first thing that they ask if do you have insurance,” said Cobb of Romney. “He’s never had to meet that.” I wonder if Mr. Cobb thinks that Obama's experiences mirror his own?

Others in the crowd said they found the booing disrespectful, and one independent female voter who asked that her name not be used said that she left the speech more inclined to vote for Romney, adding that she was “surprised” at the negative reaction Romney received.

When pressed about those in the audience who said Romney crossed the line in his speech, Romney advisor Wall responded, “I think again you may have been sitting in a different section than I was sitting in I heard overall general applause for a number of themes that this governor communicated.

“He wants to be president of all Americans and to be president of all Americans you have to say some tough things sometimes,” said Wall. “I’ll take three boos out of thunderous applause over and over again, I’ll take that.”

Challenged by a reporter who asked if she really heard “thunderous” applause from the crowd– who were far more reserved than the groups Romney traditionally addresses–Wall responded, “OK, applause.”
“In general, I think there was a lot more applause than there were boos.”

Thunderknuckles
07-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Agreed. I would never have thought he would do that. Surprisingly, even after getting boo'd on the repeal ObamaCare comment, he came right back, defended the position and segued right back into "jobs". No pandering at all.

RSR is right in that Romney presented a clear contrast between him and Obama.

gabosaurus
07-11-2012, 03:54 PM
I have to agree. If I were a discerning black voter, I would be more inclined to vote for a candidate who spoke to me directly than someone who merely alludes to certain issues.

I happen to like Romney's approach. He is straight and direct.

red states rule
07-11-2012, 03:56 PM
I have to agree. If I were a discerning black voter, I would be more inclined to vote for a candidate who spoke to me directly than someone who merely alludes to certain issues.

I happen to like Romney's approach. He is straight and direct.

If Gabby votes for Mitt in November then that will be proof the world will indeed end on December 21, 2012

Kathianne
07-11-2012, 04:01 PM

When quoting the text of the speech, the site is of no import, other than to distract.

Kathianne
07-11-2012, 04:02 PM
I think you're right on the black voter turnout. But, I'd bet dollars to donuts that Obama get's 100% of the black vote for the age group 18-28 despite the dismal unemployment numbers.
Romney's best bet is middle-aged black home owners who actually have skin in the game.

I disagree, I know some black conservative students that can and will vote.

Kathianne
07-11-2012, 04:03 PM
If Gabby votes for Mitt in November then that will be proof the world will indeed end on December 21, 2012

That sort of challenge is why so many really hate conservatives. You're better than that.

red states rule
07-11-2012, 04:04 PM
When quoting the text of the speech, the site is of no import, other than to distract.

I did not expect Gabby to commment on the what Mitt actually said - only to try and ignore what he said and try to change the subject

There may be some pow wows going on in the Oval Office right now regarding the overall good impression Mitt made on the crowd