PDA

View Full Version : Only 26% favor immigration bill

-Cp
05-23-2007, 06:26 PM
Only 26 percent of American voters favor the Senate immigration plan offering a path to citizenship for millions of illegal aliens and creating a guest-worker program, according to a new Rasmussen poll (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/).

The national telephone survey conducted the past two nights shows 48 percent are opposed while 26 percent are not sure.

The measure now in the Senate is opposed by 47 percent of Republicans, 51 percent of Democrats and 46 percent of respondents not affiliated with either major party.

The bill would allow illegal immigrants to come forward and obtain a "Z visa" that puts them on a track for permanent residency within eight to 13 years. Fees and a fine of $5,000 are required and heads of household first must return to their home countries. The illegals would be able to obtain a probationary card right away to live and work in the U.S., but the path to citizenship cannot begin until completion of border improvements and a high-tech ID system.

The public is most passionate about enforcement, the survey indicates. About 72 percent of voters say it's "very important" for "the government to improve its enforcement of the borders and reduce illegal immigration."

The figure jumps to 89 percent among Republicans, while 65 percent of Democrats and 63 percent of unaffiliated voters believe enforcement is "very important."

Rasmussen points out advocates of "comprehensive" reform argue those who want an enforcement-only policy must explain how they would deal with the more than 12 million illegal aliens already living in the country.

The new survey shows, however, only 29 percent of voters say it is "very important" for "the government to legalize the status of illegal aliens already in the United States."

Among Democrats, 38 percent believe legalization is "very important." Just 22 percent of Republicans and 27 percent of unaffiliated voters share that view.

Nevertheless, the poll shows 65 percent of voters would be willing to support a compromise that includes a "very long path to citizenship" if "the proposal required the aliens to pay fines and learn English" and the compromise "would truly reduce the number of illegal aliens entering the country."

Rasmussen commented: "The willingness of voters to accept compromise and allow a path to citizenship suggests both pragmatism and a strong desire to do what it takes to reduce the ongoing flow of illegal immigration."

The challenge for proponents of the legislation, the pollster said, "is to convince voters that they are serious about enforcement and that the proposal will truly work."

Rasmussen also noted the survey results are consistent with other recent polling data showing most Americans favor an enforcement-only reform bill.

Support drops, the pollster said, when a "path to citizenship" is added to the mix, and President Bush's job approval ratings falls every time comprehensive immigration reform tops the news.

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55838

Hugh Lincoln
05-23-2007, 06:39 PM
"A path to citizenship."

This phrase must die, along whoever cooked it up.

Pale Rider
05-23-2007, 07:18 PM
"A path to citizenship."

This phrase must die, along whoever cooked it up.

I agree. "A path to citizenship" is just one of many cute little name changes that are being used for "AMNESTY!"

Kathianne
05-23-2007, 07:19 PM
I agree. "A path to citizenship" is just one of many cute little name changes that are being used for "AMNESTY!"

Can't rep, but agree.

Dilloduck
05-23-2007, 07:24 PM

Globalists think Americans are getting restless about illegals so if we make them all legal, no problemo ! :laugh2:

82Marine89
05-23-2007, 08:13 PM
The public is most passionate about enforcement, the survey indicates. About 72 percent of voters say it's "very important" for "the government to improve its enforcement of the borders and reduce illegal immigration."

I bet if our elected officials were reminded of Gray Davis and threatened with being recalled, they would act differently.

(Only) eighteen states permit the recall of state officials…

Alaska
Arizona
California
Colorado
Georgia
Idaho
Kansas
Louisiana
Michigan
Minnesota
Montana
Nevada
New Jersey
North Dakota
Oregon
Rhode Island
Washington
Washington, D.C.
Wisconsin

(Recall actions in both the House and the Senate are justified in cases of perceived disloyalty to the United States, or the conviction of a criminal statutory offense which involved abuse of one’s official position.)

* In these states, the recall ballot consists of a list of candidates for the office held by the person against whom the recall petition was filed. The name of the officer against whom the recall was filed may appear on the ballot for reelection.

* In these states, the recall ballot consists of two parts. The first asks whether the officer against whom the recall petition was filed should be recalled. The second part consists of a list of candidates who have qualified for the election. The name of the officer against whom the recall petition was filed may not appear on this list.

* The individual charged must receive written notification of the specific charges outlined in the motion to initiate recall against said individual within one day of the motion and at least seven days prior to the meeting at which the hearing will take place.

* All Senators and officers shall be notified at the same time the individual being recalled is accused.

* The recall process is similar to that for initiatives in that citizen petitions are required. The number of signatures necessary to qualify a recall petition is just higher.

* The governor then appoints a successor who must be a member of the same political party as the officeholder recalled, and must be selected from a list submitted by a committee of the political party of the person recalled.

* The signature requirements are high: 25 percent in nine states; 25 percent for statewide offices and 35 percent for legislators in Washington; one-third in Louisiana; and 40 percent in Kansas. California’s requirements are 12 percent for statewide offices; 20 percent for legislators and appellate judges. Georgia requires 15 percent for statewide offices; 30 percent for all others. Idaho’s requirement is 20 percent for all offices. Montana has the lowest number of required signatures - 10 percent for statewide officials and 15 percent for state district offices such as legislative districts.

nevadamedic
05-23-2007, 08:41 PM
Only 26 percent of American voters favor the Senate immigration plan offering a path to citizenship for millions of illegal aliens and creating a guest-worker program, according to a new Rasmussen poll (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/).

The national telephone survey conducted the past two nights shows 48 percent are opposed while 26 percent are not sure.

The measure now in the Senate is opposed by 47 percent of Republicans, 51 percent of Democrats and 46 percent of respondents not affiliated with either major party.

The bill would allow illegal immigrants to come forward and obtain a "Z visa" that puts them on a track for permanent residency within eight to 13 years. Fees and a fine of $5,000 are required and heads of household first must return to their home countries. The illegals would be able to obtain a probationary card right away to live and work in the U.S., but the path to citizenship cannot begin until completion of border improvements and a high-tech ID system.

The figure jumps to 89 percent among Republicans, while 65 percent of Democrats and 63 percent of unaffiliated voters believe enforcement is "very important."

Rasmussen points out advocates of "comprehensive" reform argue those who want an enforcement-only policy must explain how they would deal with the more than 12 million illegal aliens already living in the country.

The new survey shows, however, only 29 percent of voters say it is "very important" for "the government to legalize the status of illegal aliens already in the United States."

Among Democrats, 38 percent believe legalization is "very important." Just 22 percent of Republicans and 27 percent of unaffiliated voters share that view.

Nevertheless, the poll shows 65 percent of voters would be willing to support a compromise that includes a "very long path to citizenship" if "the proposal required the aliens to pay fines and learn English" and the compromise "would truly reduce the number of illegal aliens entering the country."

Rasmussen commented: "The willingness of voters to accept compromise and allow a path to citizenship suggests both pragmatism and a strong desire to do what it takes to reduce the ongoing flow of illegal immigration."

The challenge for proponents of the legislation, the pollster said, "is to convince voters that they are serious about enforcement and that the proposal will truly work."

Rasmussen also noted the survey results are consistent with other recent polling data showing most Americans favor an enforcement-only reform bill.

Support drops, the pollster said, when a "path to citizenship" is added to the mix, and President Bush's job approval ratings falls every time comprehensive immigration reform tops the news.

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55838

We just need to get everyone who is against the Immigration bill to write to their Congressmen and Senators to try an get them to reconsider their positon. If you want to sign the petiton urging Speaker Pelosi and Senate Majority leader Harry Reid to back off attacking our President and unite to get our mission done and get our troops home. If you want to sign the petition send me a private message on here and I will give you the link to that page.

Doniston
05-23-2007, 09:28 PM
I agree. "A path to citizenship" is just one of many cute little name changes that are being used for "AMNESTY!" Agreed, it is simply a catch phrase, and simply won't work. The $5,000 fine will put an automatic Kabosh on it. replace the fine with tax payments, and it might work. But I am still opposed unless there is a realistic Identification program. and I for one couldn't care less whether they ever became citizens.--- just make them accountable.

82Marine89
05-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Agreed, it is simply a catch phrase, and simply won't work. The $5,000 fine will put an automatic Kabosh on it. replace the fine with tax payments, and it might work. But I am still opposed unless there is a realistic Identification program. and I for one couldn't care less whether they ever became citizens.--- just make them accountable.

That $5000.00 is the price tag our politicians just placed on me being born an American. That is spitting on my birthright. These bastards can kiss my ass. I want my country back and I am willing to do what is necessary to achieve that goal.

nevadamedic
05-23-2007, 10:11 PM
I bet if our elected officials were reminded of Gray Davis and threatened with being recalled, they would act differently.

(Only) eighteen states permit the recall of state officials…

Alaska
Arizona
California
Colorado
Georgia
Idaho
Kansas
Louisiana
Michigan
Minnesota
Montana
Nevada
New Jersey
North Dakota
Oregon
Rhode Island
Washington
Washington, D.C.
Wisconsin

(Recall actions in both the House and the Senate are justified in cases of perceived disloyalty to the United States, or the conviction of a criminal statutory offense which involved abuse of one’s official position.)

* In these states, the recall ballot consists of a list of candidates for the office held by the person against whom the recall petition was filed. The name of the officer against whom the recall was filed may appear on the ballot for reelection.

* In these states, the recall ballot consists of two parts. The first asks whether the officer against whom the recall petition was filed should be recalled. The second part consists of a list of candidates who have qualified for the election. The name of the officer against whom the recall petition was filed may not appear on this list.

* The individual charged must receive written notification of the specific charges outlined in the motion to initiate recall against said individual within one day of the motion and at least seven days prior to the meeting at which the hearing will take place.

* All Senators and officers shall be notified at the same time the individual being recalled is accused.

* The recall process is similar to that for initiatives in that citizen petitions are required. The number of signatures necessary to qualify a recall petition is just higher.

* The governor then appoints a successor who must be a member of the same political party as the officeholder recalled, and must be selected from a list submitted by a committee of the political party of the person recalled.

* The signature requirements are high: 25 percent in nine states; 25 percent for statewide offices and 35 percent for legislators in Washington; one-third in Louisiana; and 40 percent in Kansas. California’s requirements are 12 percent for statewide offices; 20 percent for legislators and appellate judges. Georgia requires 15 percent for statewide offices; 30 percent for all others. Idaho’s requirement is 20 percent for all offices. Montana has the lowest number of required signatures - 10 percent for statewide officials and 15 percent for state district offices such as legislative districts.

:clap: