PDA

View Full Version : D.C officer reprimanded for a joke!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-12-2012, 07:55 PM
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/12/12709293-dc-officer-reprimanded-for-alleged-threat-against-michelle-obama?lite

D.C. officer reprimanded for alleged threat against Michelle Obama By Pete Williams, NBC News
The Secret Service is downplaying reports that a Washington, D.C. police officer made a threat against first lady Michelle Obama during Wednesday morning roll call, NBC News reported. The police officer was removed from his unit and placed on administrative duties.

But the agency is not concerned that the remark made by the officer constitutes any kind of actual threat. “Pump the breaks on this one,” a Secret Service official told NBC.

Read more on the story at NBC Washington

The police officer is a member of the official motorcade unit, according to the Washington, D.C. police and the Secret Service. A police lieutenant heard the officer making what he described as a threatening comment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the Washington Post, the officer allegedly said he would shoot the first lady and then pulled up a photo of a gun on his cell phone.

Officials familiar with what happen say that it was a bad joke made by someone who should have known better. The officer, who is represented by the police union, has retained a lawyer.

"We're aware of it and taking the appropriate steps," said an official for the Secret Service.

Freedom of speech and even more importantly is freedom of political speech /dissent IMHO..-Tyr

Kathianne
07-12-2012, 09:04 PM
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/12/12709293-dc-officer-reprimanded-for-alleged-threat-against-michelle-obama?lite

D.C. officer reprimanded for alleged threat against Michelle Obama By Pete Williams, NBC News
The Secret Service is downplaying reports that a Washington, D.C. police officer made a threat against first lady Michelle Obama during Wednesday morning roll call, NBC News reported. The police officer was removed from his unit and placed on administrative duties.

But the agency is not concerned that the remark made by the officer constitutes any kind of actual threat. “Pump the breaks on this one,” a Secret Service official told NBC.

Read more on the story at NBC Washington

The police officer is a member of the official motorcade unit, according to the Washington, D.C. police and the Secret Service. A police lieutenant heard the officer making what he described as a threatening comment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the Washington Post, the officer allegedly said he would shoot the first lady and then pulled up a photo of a gun on his cell phone.

Officials familiar with what happen say that it was a bad joke made by someone who should have known better. The officer, who is represented by the police union, has retained a lawyer.

"We're aware of it and taking the appropriate steps," said an official for the Secret Service.

Freedom of speech and even more importantly is freedom of political speech /dissent IMHO..-Tyr

He's screwed. Falls within 'black humor', enuf said.

jafar00
07-12-2012, 10:50 PM
I've used that shotgun app on my phone to "shoot" my staff on occasion to motivate them, but it doesn't mean I intend to actually shoot them. This is nonsense.

Nell's Room
07-12-2012, 11:04 PM
He said he wanted to shoot the First Lady then brought up a picture of a gun on his phone. It doesn't matter if was joking or not, the guy is an idiot and shouldn't be making those kinds of comments.

fj1200
07-13-2012, 06:03 AM

He doesn't have freedom of speech in that scenario and his right to free speech wasn't violated.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-13-2012, 06:39 AM
He said he wanted to shoot the First Lady then brought up a picture of a gun on his phone. It doesn't matter if was joking or not, the guy is an idiot and shouldn't be making those kinds of comments.

Yet freedom of speech allows for idiots to speak too! Was it wise for him to say that?-no!
Should he be in serious trouble for doing so? -no!
Should he be investigated to get the facts? -yes.
Will he be ffkked over for doing so? -Most likely.---Tyr

sundaydriver
07-13-2012, 07:09 AM
He's screwed. Falls within 'black humor', enuf said.

Yet freedom of speech allows for idiots to speak too! Was it wise for him to say that?-no!

Sure the officer has freedom of speech, in all but violent speech. Try what he did in your workplace and you can expect the same or more severe consequence.

We had a similar case at work a couple of years ago with a worker saying he'd like to shoot his female supervisor, only kidding he said afterwards. He was fired before the day was out.

fj1200
07-13-2012, 07:38 AM

He has no free speech rights in that scenario. He threatened a public official and he was possibly on duty at the time.

red state
07-13-2012, 08:01 AM
As bad as I hate to say this, the officer (not necessarily a gentleman) should be taken off of that particular duty [for certain]...no questions asked (other than a hearing from whomever may or may not have heard his alleged comment). If he did say this, it does go beyond what freedom of speech should allow so his job could be on the line here...I just wish all the lil' libbie scum who threatened and spoke inappropriately about Bush had faced or will face the same loss or much more than this officer probably will simply because of their hypocritical conduct. So don't get me wrong, I'm no Bush fan (Can't stand Bush I, II or the Bush III we currently have in office) but I believe whatever 'reprimand' this motorcade officer gets may be a bit excessive but that all depends on the exact comment and the tone of whatever conversation was amiss at the time.

Still, I could care less what happens to ANY of my enemies (foreign or abroad) and if Air Force I or II were to have an mishap, I would lose NO sleep, tear or my big old smile. In fact, I find myself hoping that the lil' tap dance jig B.O. does, as he exits AFI, finds him face down in the asphalt (preferably something broken) but I'm not gonna say I'd like to shoot the guy cuz I wouldn't want to shoot anyone that isn't presenting an extreme PRESENT threat to me or my loved ones. He's getting there quickly though....HA!!! "...out of my cold, dead hands..."

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-13-2012, 08:10 AM
As bad as I hate to say this, the officer (not necessarily a gentleman) should be taken off of that particular duty [for certain]...no questions asked (other than a hearing from whomever may or may not have heard his alleged comment). If he did say this, it does go beyond what freedom of speech should allow so his job could be on the line here...I just wish all the lil' libbie scum who threatened and spoke inappropriately about Bush had faced or will face the same loss or much more than this officer probably will simply because of their hypocritical conduct. So don't get me wrong, I'm no Bush fan (Can't stand Bush I, II or the Bush III we currently have in office) but I believe whatever 'reprimand' this motorcade officer gets may be a bit excessive but that all depends on the exact comment and the tone of whatever conversation was amiss at the time.

Still, I could care less what happens to ANY of my enemies (foreign or abroad) and if Air Force I or II were to have an mishap, I would lose NO sleep, tear or my big old smile. In fact, I find myself hoping that the lil' tap dance jig B.O. does, as he exits AFI, finds him face down in the asphalt (preferably something broken) but I'm not gonna say I'd like to shoot the guy cuz I wouldn't want to shoot anyone that isn't presenting an extreme PRESENT threat to me or my loved ones. He's getting there quickly though....HA!!! "...out of my cold, dead hands..."

He was speaking of Michelle not the President and that is a big difference as far as National security issue. I agree that no harm should come to either of them unless it is by way of a Court of Law conviction/ruling! The guy wasnt wise but if idiotcy was outlawed the Dem party would only have a few dozen members in it in short order.:laugh2:
Just look what a big deal was made of this and then consider how Bush was truly threatened thousands of times and the media was not critical of that , even went along with it..Shows the hypocrisy of libs/leftists/dems....--Tyr

red state
07-13-2012, 08:48 AM
He was speaking of Michelle not the President and that is a big difference as far as National security issue. I agree that no harm should come to either of them unless it is by way of a Court of Law conviction/ruling! The guy wasnt wise but if idiotcy was outlawed the Dem party would only have a few dozen members in it in short order.:laugh2:
Just look what a big deal was made of this and then consider how Bush was truly threatened thousands of times and the media was not critical of that , even went along with it..Shows the hypocrisy of libs/leftists/dems....--Tyr

Well, for debate purposes, I'd have to agree with you on the guy conducting himself inappropriately and that the Dimocrats are even more guilty of these types of foolishness (without much, if any) complaints/outcry from the media or peers BUT I disagree that this is not as much a national security threat because it was directed at M. B. O. I realize that they usually take separate planes and even separate vacations at OUR expense but they are together at times and she is B.O.'s wife (couldn't bring myself to calling her a LADY or first lady). Still, I can meet you on common ground in saying that she is not a National Security Threat (other than her life or danger to her life being a factor in decision making). Am I right here? I mean, a terrorist would LOVE to kid-nap B.O.'s family or simply apply pressure on him deciding on certain things (IF) a possible threat is in play while Michelle & co. is on vacation after vacation. Knowing that a president's family is safe....we know that a president's decisions are safe. I never said his decisions were RIGHT because they are mostly wrong/left but I'm speaking hypothetically hear and in generality.

I truly don't see this comment as an issue because it was obviously a joke, but, as an officer, he should have known better and conducted himself differently (especially if he was on duty at the time and I believe he was). With whatever punishment he receives, he DEFINITELY should NOT keep his Presidential Motorcade Position! Bottom line. He doesn't sound honorable at all....otherwise, he would have never accepted that position to begin with (given his obvious distaste for this distasteful couple currently 'occupying' the White House). How those guys at the steps of AFI salute such a clown/traitor is beyond me...I couldn't [WOULDN'T]. It'd be all I could do to keep my leg from sneaking out as B.O. does his lil' tap dance jig down the steps. HA!!!.

red state
07-13-2012, 08:50 AM
OK....I've had my coffee and my comments. Time to get to work. Have at it guys.

~Red State

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-13-2012, 09:13 AM
Well, for debate purposes, I'd have to agree with you on the guy conducting himself inappropriately and that the Dimocrats are even more guilty of these types of foolishness (without much, if any) complaints/outcry from the media or peers BUT I disagree that this is not as much a national security threat because it was directed at M. B. O. I realize that they usually take separate planes and even separate vacations at OUR expense but they are together at times and she is B.O.'s wife (couldn't bring myself to calling her a LADY or first lady). Still, I can meet you on common ground in saying that she is not a National Security Threat (other than her life or danger to her life being a factor in decision making). Am I right here? I mean, a terrorist would LOVE to kid-nap B.O.'s family or simply apply pressure on him deciding on certain things (IF) a possible threat is in play while Michelle & co. is on vacation after vacation. Knowing that a president's family is safe....we know that a president's decisions are safe. I never said his decisions were RIGHT because they are mostly wrong/left but I'm speaking hypothetically hear and in generality.

I truly don't see this comment as an issue because it was obviously a joke, but, as an officer, he should have known better and conducted himself differently (especially if he was on duty at the time and I believe he was). With whatever punishment he receives, he DEFINITELY should NOT keep his Presidential Motorcade Position! Bottom line. He doesn't sound honorable at all....otherwise, he would have never accepted that position to begin with (given his obvious distaste for this distasteful couple currently 'occupying' the White House). How those guys at the steps of AFI salute such a clown/traitor is beyond me...I couldn't [WOULDN'T]. It'd be all I could do to keep my leg from sneaking out as B.O. does his lil' tap dance jig down the steps. HA!!!.

WE ARE IN AGREEMENT MY FRIEND.
THAT IS WHY I SAID HE WAS NOT WISE BUT ALSO INDICATED THAT HIS SPEAKING WAS ALSO FREEDOM OF SPEECH
For we are allowed to speak unwisely TOO or else there is no freedom of speech at all IMHO. His job however is why it was so unwise for him to say that.
Im allowed as a private citizen to say that without any penalty wheras his job prevents him from acting so freely.
Were I him I'd never taken that duty. I despise both the vermin that currently infest the People's House.-Tyr

mundame
07-13-2012, 10:45 AM

I entirely agree. This is supposed to be funny? Where is the punch line, you know?

Hello, is anyone here so incredibly stupid that they would think saying a thing like that and then showing a picture of the gun they'd like to do it with is FUNNY???

I'd say there's something seriously wrong with this guy's thinking apparatus.

mundame
07-13-2012, 10:47 AM
We had a similar case at work a couple of years ago with a worker saying he'd like to shoot his female supervisor, only kidding he said afterwards. He was fired before the day was out.

Whoa! That's very interesting.

These days with all the worker shootings, somebody comes back in with two automatic rifles and four handguns and starts mowing down the office and factory floor, yeah, I think that's reasonable. If people are too crazy to manage their mouths, they need to go somewhere else and learn how to live better.

fj1200
07-13-2012, 11:13 AM
... HIS SPEAKING WAS ALSO FREEDOM OF SPEECH
His job however is why it was so unwise for him to say that.

His job is why he had NO freedom of speech in that scenario. Don't let silly facts get in the way though.