PDA

View Full Version : 2 sophisticated border drug tunnels discovered

Shadow
07-13-2012, 07:21 AM
PHOENIX – Two drug-smuggling tunnels outfitted with lighting and ventilation systems were discovered along the U.S.-Mexico border, the latest signs that cartels are building sophisticated passages to escape heightened surveillance on land.
Both tunnels were at least 150 yards long. One began under a bathroom sink inside a warehouse in Tijuana but was unfinished and didn't cross the border into San Diego. The Mexican army found the tunnel Wednesday.

The other was completed and discovered Saturday in a vacant strip mall storefront in the southwestern Arizona city of San Luis. It showed a level of sophistication not typically associated with other crude smuggling passageways that tie into storm drains in the state.
"When you see what is there and the way they designed it, it wasn't something that your average miner could put together," said Douglas Coleman, special agent in charge of the Phoenix division of the Drug Enforcement Administration. "You would need someone with some engineering expertise to put something together like this."

As U.S. authorities heighten enforcement on land, tunnels have become an increasingly common way to smuggle enormous loads of heroin, marijuana and other drugs into the country. More than 70 passages have been found on the border since October 2008, surpassing the number of discoveries in the previous six years.
A total of 156 secret tunnels have been found along the border since 1990, the vast majority of them incomplete.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/12/apnewsbreak-new-border-drug-tunnel-discovered/#ixzz20VLX7jau

revelarts
07-13-2012, 07:24 AM
only 2?

Missileman
07-13-2012, 07:40 AM
only 2?

Yep! Got em all! Our border is more secure now than it's EVER been...just ask Napolitano. :rolleyes:

Shadow
07-13-2012, 07:55 AM
The article says most tunnels are found before they are completed and able to be used ( I doubt that). Makes you wonder if true... why the drug cartels waste so much money building them. Makes me think their are plenty more out there that no one knows about. I also like the comment about how these tunnels were specifically designed to avoid surveillance.

DragonStryk72
07-13-2012, 10:08 AM
PHOENIX – Two drug-smuggling tunnels outfitted with lighting and ventilation systems were discovered along the U.S.-Mexico border, the latest signs that cartels are building sophisticated passages to escape heightened surveillance on land.
Both tunnels were at least 150 yards long. One began under a bathroom sink inside a warehouse in Tijuana but was unfinished and didn't cross the border into San Diego. The Mexican army found the tunnel Wednesday.

The other was completed and discovered Saturday in a vacant strip mall storefront in the southwestern Arizona city of San Luis. It showed a level of sophistication not typically associated with other crude smuggling passageways that tie into storm drains in the state.
"When you see what is there and the way they designed it, it wasn't something that your average miner could put together," said Douglas Coleman, special agent in charge of the Phoenix division of the Drug Enforcement Administration. "You would need someone with some engineering expertise to put something together like this."

As U.S. authorities heighten enforcement on land, tunnels have become an increasingly common way to smuggle enormous loads of heroin, marijuana and other drugs into the country. More than 70 passages have been found on the border since October 2008, surpassing the number of discoveries in the previous six years.
A total of 156 secret tunnels have been found along the border since 1990, the vast majority of them incomplete.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/12/apnewsbreak-new-border-drug-tunnel-discovered/#ixzz20VLX7jau

Good thing we're cutting back on the border patrol. I mean, no way could those things be found by anything other than a drone :rolleyes:.

Missileman
07-13-2012, 10:19 AM
In other news...Mexican officials are betting the new Rio Grande Tunnel will ease their country's ongoing unemployment issues.

Shadow
07-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Good thing we're cutting back on the border patrol. I mean, no way could those things be found by anything other than a drone :rolleyes:.

My thoughts exactly!

jimnyc
07-13-2012, 08:15 PM
I've been hearing about tunnels like these for over 20 years now. I'll bet there's a lot more of them out there, in working order. A little track system and some pulleys, and you bypass border issues in just a few minutes. And it wouldn't surprise me if they are utilized for illegals coming into the country either. Not like some massive issue, just that these fuckers will squeeze in here underground like rats if they could.