PDA

View Full Version : Degenerative Disc Disease

jimnyc
07-13-2012, 11:26 AM
So I had a discectomy about 6 or 7 years ago. The disc was herniated and protruding into my spinal cord (in my neck) and they removed the disc and replaced, and did a fusion I think they called it. Other than a nasty looking scar on my throat, all has been fine since. Yes, the throat, as they go through the front to get to that side of the spine.

Anyway, pain started again 6-8 weeks ago and has continually gotten worse. The reason I was nervous is because the pain was the same, in the same spot and the same symptoms. The only difference this time is that the pain radiates from the neck, to my shoulder and down my right arm, whereas last time it was the left arm.

The doctor took multiple X-rays and such today and said I had this "disease", even though it's really a condition with a few discs I suppose. Now I have to go for an MRI on the 19th and back to see him on the 23rd. He said it's going to require another surgery, as this time it's the disc just above where the last surgery was, but of course we need MRI confirmation, and there's a very remote chance they can treat with steroids or similar.

But the pain feels like the wight of my own head is the problem. Can't sit, lay down or do pretty much of anything without this radiating pain. And it's not like a migraine, but just a continual pain that never ends.

I recall a decent amount about the discectomy, but the DDD (as per thread title) is new to me. Well, I've heard of it, but never gave a crap because I didn't have it. Now that I have it, I want to learn more about it. I'm wondering, with an MRI, is this an open and shut case to determine if the surgery is necessary or not? In other words, I don't want some doctor telling me I need it when it can be corrected in another manner. The last bill for this surgery was about $90k, but insurance covered it fully. Now I have different insurance and a $5k deductible apparently! Whatever the deductible was last time, the doctor scrambled the numbers a bit so that he got his payment and I had no cost.

The only good thing is that he gave me some percocets! But only enough to last me about 4-5 days. So I may not even have enough to make it to the MRI let alone before I see him again, so I hope the pain subsides a bit!!

Anton Chigurh
07-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Payton Manning's deal too.

jimnyc
07-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Payton Manning's deal too.

Is that what he has? I knew his neck was fucked up, and that he had surgery, but that was about it. As a Steelers fan, I had only hoped his head would fall off and I didn't pay much attention, other than the trade crap that went down. I'll have to look into what he had done now... I wonder if he had trouble coming up with the dough for his deductible?

Anton Chigurh
07-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Your main enemy here is gonna be inflammation. If you can get the inflammation down, the pain will be tolerable, or even just gone. I am a bit confused why the doc gave you only pain meds and left out the anti-inflammatory meds.

I am sure manning didn't have to worry too much about deductibles...:laugh2:

jimnyc
07-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Your main enemy here is gonna be inflammation. If you can get the inflammation down, the pain will be tolerable, or even just gone. I am a bit confused why the doc gave you only pain meds and left out the anti-inflammatory meds.

I am sure manning didn't have to worry too much about deductibles...:laugh2:

Well, the only thing I can think of was the Xray, and maybe he thought the surgery was a foregone conclusion. But agreed, even if that be the case, anti inflammatory might still help reduce the pain until that time. But the Xray did show the discs, and this on in particular looked to be "shaved" at the end towards the spinal cord, as if it's falling apart. It just looked so much different than the others. So I think the injury is there and needs correction regardless. But I honestly didn't think of what you brought up till just now, and now you have me wondering as well! I dunno, I suppose I'll know more for sure after the MRI.

Gaffer
07-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Head butting on message boards can be dangerous to your health. Causing neck and spinal injuries. Govt regulations are needed to protect people, along with warning notices. :thumb:

Sorry to hear about your trouble Jim. If surgery is called for make sure to get a second opinion. Look on the bright side, if obamacare was fully in effect you would have a 6 month to 1 year year wait for the MRI and a board would decide if your worth it to society to have the surgery.

jimnyc
07-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Head butting on message boards can be dangerous to your health. Causing neck and spinal injuries. Govt regulations are needed to protect people, along with warning notices. :thumb:

Sorry to hear about your trouble Jim. If surgery is called for make sure to get a second opinion. Look on the bright side, if obamacare was fully in effect you would have a 6 month to 1 year year wait for the MRI and a board would decide if your worth it to society to have the surgery.

Strange thing is, this all did in fact start while on a message board! Years ago I was sitting at my computer and had a helluva sneeze, and instantly the pain started, and never went away until after the 1st surgery! Not sure if it was a coincidence, or if it were there anyway and the sneeze furthered the situation. I believe the same thing happened as a result of a sneeze to a famous ball player, Sammy Sosa. They say that sneezes are actually kind of "violent" and are known for causing various issues.

Abbey Marie
07-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Sorry, Jim! The doctor may give you more pain meds if you ask him really nicely; i.e. cry in pain.

mundame
07-14-2012, 10:25 PM
Well, I'm a little worried about all this; I hope you keep us posted, jimmy, on what is happening and how you are doing.

I am not convinced modern medicine is much good at "prevention," but they are FABULOUS at curing and healing, and that's the stage you are at, so hopefully all will go very well.

Anton Chigurh
07-14-2012, 10:37 PM
they are FABULOUS at curing and healingThis is why so many people DIE from "complications" on minor operations.

They are not fabulous at curing and healing. They are numb-fingered, clumsy, sorta okay at it.

jimnyc
07-15-2012, 07:35 AM
Well, I'm a little worried about all this; I hope you keep us posted, jimmy, on what is happening and how you are doing.

I am not convinced modern medicine is much good at "prevention," but they are FABULOUS at curing and healing, and that's the stage you are at, so hopefully all will go very well.

This is why so many people DIE from "complications" on minor operations.

They are not fabulous at curing and healing. They are numb-fingered, clumsy, sorta okay at it.

I wish the doctor who did my first surgery was my doctor now, he is "fabulous" in my book. He has many of the patents on the fusion technology for a discectomy and is nationally considered one of the best orthopedic surgeons out there. This doctor is under the same "umbrella" if you want to call it that, but the old doctor doesn't take this new policy of mine.

But yep, a fuck up with anesthesia, or a staph infection, and you may be a goner!

jimnyc
07-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Yes, I do plan on asking my doctor, but I'm bored, and it's Sunday, so I'm asking here...

Do you think going to the gym would cause any harm? I don't know if a typical workout can make things worse on a disc problem, or if it really wouldn't matter. I mean, if it hurts too much while there, I would just stop. I'm more interested in whether or not typical weight lifting could cause further damage to the discs.

I could just go and enjoy the steam room, and maybe ride the bike for some cardio. And stare at some of the women for even more cardio. :slap:

Kathianne
07-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Yes, I do plan on asking my doctor, but I'm bored, and it's Sunday, so I'm asking here...

Do you think going to the gym would cause any harm? I don't know if a typical workout can make things worse on a disc problem, or if it really wouldn't matter. I mean, if it hurts too much while there, I would just stop. I'm more interested in whether or not typical weight lifting could cause further damage to the discs.

I could just go and enjoy the steam room, and maybe ride the bike for some cardio. And stare at some of the women for even more cardio. :slap:

Swimming is usually considered therapeutic. Steam certainly will give you respite in being able to move better, at least for awhile.

jimnyc
07-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Swimming is usually considered therapeutic. Steam certainly will give you respite in being able to move better, at least for awhile.

Th steam room will have to suffice. My old gym had 2 huge pools, none at this one though. But the steam room helps a lot on normal days. It's kind of like healing for your muscles after working out, at least for me. I don't know what it is, but I see a huge difference between the days I hit the steam room or sauna, then shower and leave, compared to skipping the heat and just showering. I feel much more refreshed, and much less pain.

mundame
07-15-2012, 01:14 PM

If you were my husband I know what I would say.......you are SO not allowed! :rolleyes:

However, lucky for you.................

Still, steam room and bike and girl-gazing might be a safer option.

Abbey Marie
07-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Weight-lifting right now sounds like a really bad idea to me.

jimnyc
07-21-2012, 12:39 PM
I've been a little MIA this week due to this issue. Sometimes the pain feels like it is diminishing, and then the next minute I want a terrorist to saw my head off. But it seems to hurt the most when sitting upright. I went to the gym today like an idiot. I did fine with all my cardio work, but when it came time to use the curling machine, I got about 15 lifts or so into 100lbs and my right arm started tingling and then went almost numb. Good thing it was a machine or I might have dropped it on my foot!

I went for the MRI on Thursday which sucked. Man, they lay you down, then back me into the machine and I was literally scraping the sides. I don't know if they do that to everyone or if it's because I'm fat! LOL

I meet with my doctor 8am Monday to discuss the results and determine what course of action to take. Something has to give though. I've been grinning and bearing it with Tylenol since about Tuesday. They wouldn't give me any more pain meds and gave me the Flexeril. Didn't do a damn thing other than make me tired for like 2 days. Crap ass medicine.

Anton Chigurh
07-21-2012, 03:58 PM
You should have listened to Abbey on the weightlifting - it is guaranteed to further INFLAME the area.

jimnyc
07-23-2012, 08:16 AM
Just got back from the doctor. My prior event and surgery was due to a herniated disc at C6-C7 and now it's confirmed that the C5-C6 is herniated as well, making a portion of my spinal cord actually bend in one spot, causing all of my issues. Now I have to see the surgeon on Thursday morning for a consult prior to the surgery, which will hopefully be as soon as possible after that, as the pain and other symptoms are driving me nuts. There's a metal plate already that goes from 6-7 holding the makeshift disc in shape. In this case, they are just going to extend more of the plate and add a 3rd screw.

Fun times. My wife wanted to be more conservative and have them perhaps try some sort of steroids, cortisone and see if that helps. The doctor said that the way this was protruding into the spinal cord, it likely wouldn't come close to working, and that he doesn't see this getting "fixed" without surgery.

Abbey Marie
07-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Sorry Jim. But you can't go on in that kind of pain. I'll pray for a great outcome and painless recovery!

jimnyc
07-26-2012, 10:58 AM
So much for one doc's opinion, his colleague wants a different approach, which hopefully works out for me and doesn't extend any pain. I met the surgeon today and he wants me to come back early tomorrow morning and get an epidural. Never had one before, so I'm unsure of the experience and whether it'll help, but it can't hurt I suppose. He simply stated that we'll monitor it and take it from there. I have a follow up with him one week from today, and I suppose of this doesn't work, then we can plan the surgery. He could have just jumped to the surgery like the other doctor said and made the money, but he chose the conservative route for now, which I liked.

Anyone have an epidural before? In the neck? Wondering the effects of it, how long it lasts and how much it hurts to get the injection.

It better limit the pain though. I hate being a pawn between doctors while the pain lingers.

Anton Chigurh
07-26-2012, 11:17 AM
The new doc is addressing the inflammation..... As well he should.

Abbey Marie
07-26-2012, 11:34 AM
So much for one doc's opinion, his colleague wants a different approach, which hopefully works out for me and doesn't extend any pain. I met the surgeon today and he wants me to come back early tomorrow morning and get an epidural. Never had one before, so I'm unsure of the experience and whether it'll help, but it can't hurt I suppose. He simply stated that we'll monitor it and take it from there. I have a follow up with him one week from today, and I suppose of this doesn't work, then we can plan the surgery. He could have just jumped to the surgery like the other doctor said and made the money, but he chose the conservative route for now, which I liked.

Anyone have an epidural before? In the neck? Wondering the effects of it, how long it lasts and how much it hurts to get the injection.

It better limit the pain though. I hate being a pawn between doctors while the pain lingers.

I've had several, but all in the lower spine. If the doctor knows what he/she is doing, it doesn't really hurt. Most of mine were good at it. One was terrible and stuck the needle in over and over for about half an hour before he called for help. The help did it first try.

I can't remember much about the after-effects. I'm thinking I had to lie down for several hours to avoid a massive headache?

jimnyc
07-27-2012, 09:25 AM
Cervical Epidural = not fun

Face down on a table as if I was going to get a massage. The first small needle stung just a tad, and that was just a local anesthetic to numb the area. Then a few minutes later he popped the larger needle in, which still hurt with the local, but wasn't all that bad. Then I guess he started pushing it down and inserting the medicine, and it "burnt" like hell and made my entire chest and arms feel like they were on fire and being stabbed at the same time! We had to take like 4 or 5 breaks over a 10 minute period to get through it. The pain stayed that way for about 10 more minutes or so, then it was all over.

All in all it wasn't really that bad, but if you were to only deal with the 3-5 minutes of the injection period, it was horrible. Any more pain than that and I would ask to be knocked out for the procedure. And now if this doesn't work, they may want to repeat the procedure 3-4 more times over the next 2 months!

For now the pain from the disc still hurts of course, but the doctor who did the epidural said to give it 4-7 days to take full effect.

Kathianne
07-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Cervical Epidural = not fun

Face down on a table as if I was going to get a massage. The first small needle stung just a tad, and that was just a local anesthetic to numb the area. Then a few minutes later he popped the larger needle in, which still hurt with the local, but wasn't all that bad. Then I guess he started pushing it down and inserting the medicine, and it "burnt" like hell and made my entire chest and arms feel like they were on fire and being stabbed at the same time! We had to take like 4 or 5 breaks over a 10 minute period to get through it. The pain stayed that way for about 10 more minutes or so, then it was all over.

All in all it wasn't really that bad, but if you were to only deal with the 3-5 minutes of the injection period, it was horrible. Any more pain than that and I would ask to be knocked out for the procedure. And now if this doesn't work, they may want to repeat the procedure 3-4 more times over the next 2 months!

For now the pain from the disc still hurts of course, but the doctor who did the epidural said to give it 4-7 days to take full effect.

My daughter had that done in her back a couple months ago. Has been repeated I think 2 times. The first time though, she got sort of paranoid that she was 'dying' and 'burning up.' When she got home they looked up side-effects, that was one. She was calm after that. Basically was a 'miracle' as far as pain went.

jimnyc
07-27-2012, 10:02 AM
My daughter had that done in her back a couple months ago. Has been repeated I think 2 times. The first time though, she got sort of paranoid that she was 'dying' and 'burning up.' When she got home they looked up side-effects, that was one. She was calm after that. Basically was a 'miracle' as far as pain went.

I know it's only been a few hours, but the same pain is returning as I sit here at my desk. I know I have to give it time though. Gonna lay down in a few with an ice pack they gave me.

jimnyc
08-02-2012, 11:05 AM
I met with my doctor this morning as a follow up to the epidural I had. While a fair amount of the original pain had subsided, some of it returned and some of it seems to have shifted to other areas. The major pain streaking down my arm has subsided, but no I seem to have a tingling feeling down my arm and to my thumb and finger, and this is non-stop. And even though it doesn't really hurt... it's like being hit in the funny bone without the initial pain, that weird feeling you get afterwards. In addition to the tingling, a pain has developed on the side of my arm, outward, sort of between the bicep and tricep. Also at the ball of my shoulder, where the rotator cuff would be underneath. Behind my shoulder blade, or so it feels. And then lastly, where that large bone is where the shoulders meet the neck. The doc said these areas are all indicative of C6 issues. So in a nutshell, the "piercing" pain eased up a bit, but within a week certain pains are returning and a few new areas have creeped up.

He said it's possible that a series of shots over a fair amount of time might be helpful, but no guarantees, and in the mean time there is little to do to relieve the pain based on where the pressure is located. Of course pain killers help... And as much as I like them, and I can't believe I am going to say this, enough is enough after time. I like them, I like them relieving some pain, and I like the getting high feeling, but eventually it does more harm than help, and I'm already reaching that point. But based on Xrays and the MRI, he thinks it'll be a recurring issue that can be somewhat controlled via epidurals, it'll never be "cured" and I'd have to learn to live with it, and manage the pain.

So we set up for a cervical fusion surgery on August 28th. I have a follow up with him again in 2 weeks, on the 16th of August. If there is a huge amount of relief at that time, we call off the surgery. If the same, he now recommends committing to that date and getting this over with. As stated previously, this surgery has a huge success rate, about 98% or so. It's even outpatient, so it's rather routine for these guys. Of course there are possible dangers and side effects, same with most surgeries. But you have a better chance of being "injured" by the anesthesia than you do the rest. The second biggest risk is hitting the actual spinal cord during the surgery.

In my little egghead, I see this as 26 more days of semi-misery, then the surgery, then a week of recovery from the pain of the surgery and then hopefully smooth sailing from there. If my last surgery on C6-C7 is any indication, the pain from the herniated disk is gone instantly and never hurts again. So long as the fusion takes to the corresponding vertebrae, then it should be a long term success.

Now I have to figure out how to get from now, till around the 4th of September, without getting overly addicted to pain medication. I've admittedly been taking them on schedule and not even thinking if I really need it at that time. It was preventative at times. Now I'm only going to try and take them when the pain kicks in pretty harshly.

aboutime
08-02-2012, 01:20 PM
jimnyc. This may sound familiar to you, and what you are experiencing right now.
I have had this condition to the extreme since 1991.
Just take a look. Sorry for taking so much space, and time here:

Spinal stenosisPseudo-claudication; Central spinal stenosis; Foraminal spinal stenosis; Degenerative spine disease; Back pain - spinal stenosis
Last reviewed: June 7, 2012.

Spinal stenosis is narrowing of the spinal column that causes pressure on the spinal cord, or narrowing of the openings (called neural foramina) where spinal nerves leave the spinal column.
Causes, incidence, and risk factorsSpinal stenosis usually occurs as a person ages and the disks become drier and start to bulge. At the same time, the bones and ligaments of the spine thickens or grow larger due to arthritis or long-term swelling (inflammation).
Spinal stenosis may also be caused by:

Arthritis (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/n/pmh_adam/A001243/) of the spine, usually in middle-aged or elderly people

Bone diseases, such as Paget's disease (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/n/pmh_adam/A000414/) of bone and achondroplasia (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/n/pmh_adam/A001577/)

Defect or growth in the spine that was present from birth (congenital defect)

Herniated (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/n/pmh_adam/A000442/) or slipped disk, which often happened in the past

Injury that causes pressure on the nerve roots or the spinal cord

Tumors (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/n/pmh_adam/A001403/) in the spine

SymptomsOften, symptoms will get worse slowly over time. Most often, symptoms will be on one side of the body or the other, but may involve both legs.
Symptoms include:

Numbness (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/n/pmh_adam/A003206/), cramping, or pain in the back, buttocks, thighs, or calves, or in the neck, shoulders, or arms

Weakness (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/n/pmh_adam/A003174/) of part of a leg or arm

Symptoms are more likely to be present or get worse when you stand or walk. They will often lessen or disappear when you sit down or lean forward. Most people with spinal stenosis cannot walk for a long period of time.
Patients with spinal stenosis may be able to ride a bicycle with little pain.
More serious symptoms include:

Difficulty or poor balance when walking

Problems controlling urine or bowel movements

Signs and testsDuring the physical exam, your doctor will try to find the location of the pain and figure out how it affects your movement. You will be asked to:

Sit, stand, and walk. While you walk, your doctor may ask you to try walking on your toes and then your heels.

Bend forward, backward, and sideways

Lift your legs straight up while lying down. If the pain is worse when you do this, you may have sciatica, especially if you also feel numbness or tingling in one of your legs.

Your doctor will also move your legs in different positions, including bending and straightening your knees. All the while, the doctor is checking your strength and your ability to move.
To test nerve function, the doctor will use a rubber hammer to check your reflexes. Touching your legs in many places with a pin, cotton swab, or feather tests how well you feel. Your doctor will tell you to speak up if there are areas where you have less feeling from the pin, cotton, or feather.
A brain and nervous system (neurological) examination can confirm leg weakness and decreased sensation (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/n/pmh_adam/A003206/) in the legs. The following tests may be done:

EMG (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/n/pmh_adam/A003929/)

Spinal MRI (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/n/pmh_adam/A007352/) or spinal CT (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/n/pmh_adam/A003787/) scan

X-ray of the spine (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/n/pmh_adam/A003806/)

TreatmentWhen your back pain does not go away, or it gets more painful at times, learning to take care of your back at home and prevent repeat episodes of your back pain can help you avoid surgery.
Your doctor and other health professionals will help you manage your pain and keep you as active as possible.

Your doctor may refer you for physical therapy. The physical therapist will help you try to reduce your pain, using stretches. The therapist will show you how to do exercises that make your neck muscles stronger.

You may also see a massage therapist, and someone who performs acupuncture. Sometimes a few visits will help your back or neck pain.

Cold packs and heat therapy may help your pain during flare-ups.

A number of different medications can help with your back pain. See also: Medicines for chronic pain

A type of talk therapy called cognitive behavioral therapymay be helpful if the pain is having a serious impact on your life. This technique helps you better understand your pain and teaches you how to manage back pain.
SURGERY
If the pain does not respond to these treatments, or you lose movement or feeling, you may need surgery. Surgery is done to relieve pressure on the nerves or spinal cord.
You and your doctor can decide when you need to have surgery for these symptoms. Spinal stenosis symptoms often become worse over time, but this may happen very slowly.

People who had long-term back pain before their surgery are likely to still have some pain afterwards. Spinal fusion probably will not take away all the pain and other symptoms.

Even when using MRI scans or other tests, it is hard for your surgeon to always predict whether you will improve and how much relief surgery will provide.

For more information about how surgery is done and who is most likely to benefit, see also:

Foraminotomy (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/n/pmh_adam/A007390/)

Laminectomy (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/n/pmh_adam/A007389/)

Spinal fusion (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/n/pmh_adam/A002968/)

Expectations (prognosis)Many people with spinal stenosis are able to be active for many years with the condition, although they may need to make some changes in their activities or work.
Spine surgery will often partly or fully relieve symptoms. However, people who had long-term back pain before their surgery are still likely to have some pain afterward. Spinal fusion probably will not take away all of the pain and other symptoms.
Spine problems are possible after spine surgery. The area of the spinal column above and below a spinal fusion are more likely to be stressed when the spine moves. Also, if you needed more than one kind of back surgery (such as laminectomy and spinal fusion), you may be more likely to have future problems.

ComplicationsA lack of feeling can make you more likely to injure your legs or feet. Infections may get worse because you may not feel the pain. Changes caused by pressure on the nerves may be permanent, even if the pressure is relieved.

jimnyc
08-26-2012, 10:51 AM
I have to admit, the nerves and fear are starting to kick in now. My surgery is in less than 2 days. They told me it will take 2 to 2 1/2 hours, and knowing that I'll be out that amount of time and have my neck open that long, has me a bit unnerved. I know these guys can probably do it blindfolded at this point, but what if my 'shitty falling apart' body doesn't like the surgery?

No food or drink at all after midnight tomorrow night. I have to be at the hospital for no later than 7am. It's gonna be rough Tuesday morning, no coffee is going to suck. No water or any drinks is going to suck. The quicker they start the better! They are scheduled to begin at 8:30, so hopefully I'll be in recovery by 11 the latest and out of the hospital by 5pm. Then more fun continues at home!

Very sore throat and difficultly talking will be obvious. They say this will last 1-4 weeks. The only pain killer allowed after the surgery is acetaminophen. No smoking of course. They say no driving for 2-4 weeks, but I don't see that happening! No sitting for long periods. No bending head forward or backward. No lifting beyond 5lbs. Believe it or not, it also forbids housework. No sexual activity until the surgeon gives the OK. This isn't a problem, as my life sucks in that department.

I'm allowed to go for a walk twice per day. They'll be giving me a cushioned neck brace collar to wear for 2 weeks, I'm not going out in public with one of them on, but I will wear it at home. Says I can't shower for up to 4 days after the surgery. WTF? I'm gonna be a stinky bastard! I wonder if I can just place the gauze on it and tape plastic over the who thing. I imagine the point is to keep everything from getting wet.

Anyone want me to post a cool video, showing them making the incision, then using the machine to stretch open the neck, and then use long tools to work their way back to the vertebrae? LOL And THAT'S why I'm scared, cause I had to go and watch shit like that. But the anesthesia is what always scares me the most. I can deal with the pain afterwards and all that crap, I'm always afraid of not waking up! And every time I've had any form of anesthesia, I wake up with a major headache.

aboutime
08-26-2012, 04:05 PM
I have to admit, the nerves and fear are starting to kick in now. My surgery is in less than 2 days. They told me it will take 2 to 2 1/2 hours, and knowing that I'll be out that amount of time and have my neck open that long, has me a bit unnerved. I know these guys can probably do it blindfolded at this point, but what if my 'shitty falling apart' body doesn't like the surgery?

No food or drink at all after midnight tomorrow night. I have to be at the hospital for no later than 7am. It's gonna be rough Tuesday morning, no coffee is going to suck. No water or any drinks is going to suck. The quicker they start the better! They are scheduled to begin at 8:30, so hopefully I'll be in recovery by 11 the latest and out of the hospital by 5pm. Then more fun continues at home!

Very sore throat and difficultly talking will be obvious. They say this will last 1-4 weeks. The only pain killer allowed after the surgery is acetaminophen. No smoking of course. They say no driving for 2-4 weeks, but I don't see that happening! No sitting for long periods. No bending head forward or backward. No lifting beyond 5lbs. Believe it or not, it also forbids housework. No sexual activity until the surgeon gives the OK. This isn't a problem, as my life sucks in that department.

I'm allowed to go for a walk twice per day. They'll be giving me a cushioned neck brace collar to wear for 2 weeks, I'm not going out in public with one of them on, but I will wear it at home. Says I can't shower for up to 4 days after the surgery. WTF? I'm gonna be a stinky bastard! I wonder if I can just place the gauze on it and tape plastic over the who thing. I imagine the point is to keep everything from getting wet.

Anyone want me to post a cool video, showing them making the incision, then using the machine to stretch open the neck, and then use long tools to work their way back to the vertebrae? LOL And THAT'S why I'm scared, cause I had to go and watch shit like that. But the anesthesia is what always scares me the most. I can deal with the pain afterwards and all that crap, I'm always afraid of not waking up! And every time I've had any form of anesthesia, I wake up with a major headache.

jimnyc: Good luck. You'll be fine, but it will be a real PAIN IN THE NECK (pardon the pun) for a few days when you try to look down.
I had two surgeries like that. Of course. You are scared. But those Docs really are GOOD, or GREAT at what they do. Have confidence in them, and before long. You'll just have memories about it.
Do what they tell you to do. They want to AVOID all infections, and they are worse than the surgery. FOLLOW THEIR INSTRUCTIONS.
Once again. Good Luck.
If you believe in the Power of Prayer, or even if you don't. You should know. People you do not know will be Praying for you.
God Bless.