PDA

View Full Version : Obama's Bain assault. Election winner? or Backfire?

ringotuna
07-14-2012, 07:03 AM
So the Obama campaign is doing all out assult on the issue of Romney's tenure at Bain Capital, going so far as to suggest Romney committed a felony in filing fraudulent SEC reports. The talking point they've put out insists there can be one of only two conclusions, Either (A) Romney filed fraudulent SEC reports (a felony) or (B) he lied when he says he left Bain in 99. Putting aside for the moment the logical fallacy of only two possible conclusions....

Their accusations are premised the appearance of Romney's /s/ signature on half a dozen Bain~SEC filings after 1999 as sole share holder and CEO. I've viewed several of these filings myself so there is no denying this fact. However legal scholars have begun to chime in and offer opinions on the matter.

"But we see little new in any of these SEC filings, and a University of Pennsylvania Law School professor we spoke to sees no basis for the Obama campaign’s claim that Romney committed a felony.

None of the SEC filings show that Romney was anything but a passive, absentee owner during that time, as both Romney and Bain have long said. It should not surprise anyone that Romney retained certain titles while he was working out the final disposition of his ownership, for example. We see nothing to contradict the statement that a Bain spokesman issued in response to the Globe article:

Jill E. Fisch, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania Law School and co-director of the Institute for Law and Economics, said Romney would not have committed a felony by listing himself as managing director — even if he now claims he had no role in running the company after February 1999. There is no legal obligation to describe how active one is in the day-to-day management of the company, she said. And just because he held title of managing director doesn’t necessarily mean that he’s responsible for decisions like layoffs or outsourcing.

Furthermore, none of the new fund perspective offerings after 1999 represents Romney in any capacity.

I've presented this information to others (Obama supporters) and the only response I've received in return (after filtering out the usual snarky assed ad hominems) is "I don't believe it" then and a repeat of the A or B talking point question I mentioned above, followed by a re-referral to the post 1999 Romney signatures as presented by some partisan talking head.

So aside from circular reasoning, can anyone put forth a reasonable argument that this is nothing more than a desperate smear campaign to capture the current political dialogue and distract from the real issues?

red states rule
07-14-2012, 07:08 AM
Why would anyone care about this?

Why would anyone care what Mitt did with his own money? Voters shoulkd care (and be pissed off) over what Obama has done with OUR money

Of course, it is easy to understand wh Obama wants to talk about Bain. The last thing he wants to talk about is the US economy which is much worse after 3 1/2 years of hope and change

jimnyc
07-14-2012, 07:10 AM
So aside from circular reasoning, can anyone put forth a reasonable argument that this is nothing more than a desperate smear campaign to capture the current political dialogue and distract from the real issues?

"Vetting". There's little doubt in my mind that they researched this appropriately and attacked on what they found, knowing that Romney did not commit any felonious activity. It's an attack that deflects current issues, and will also have a certain amount of people dumb enough not to research further themselves, and the possibility of it being true will stay in the back of their heads.

Romney and his campaign need only play clips over and over from the Obama campaign about the transparency he promised, and no taxes, and how the ACA was not a tax. Get him legitimately and with facts from his own mouth, over and over.

Kathianne
07-14-2012, 07:37 AM
So the Obama campaign is doing all out assult on the issue of Romney's tenure at Bain Capital, going so far as to suggest Romney committed a felony in filing fraudulent SEC reports. The talking point they've put out insists there can be one of only two conclusions, Either (A) Romney filed fraudulent SEC reports (a felony) or (B) he lied when he says he left Bain in 99. Putting aside for the moment the logical fallacy of only two possible conclusions....

Their accusations are premised the appearance of Romney's /s/ signature on half a dozen Bain~SEC filings after 1999 as sole share holder and CEO. I've viewed several of these filings myself so there is no denying this fact. However legal scholars have begun to chime in and offer opinions on the matter.

"But we see little new in any of these SEC filings, and a University of Pennsylvania Law School professor we spoke to sees no basis for the Obama campaign’s claim that Romney committed a felony.

None of the SEC filings show that Romney was anything but a passive, absentee owner during that time, as both Romney and Bain have long said. It should not surprise anyone that Romney retained certain titles while he was working out the final disposition of his ownership, for example. We see nothing to contradict the statement that a Bain spokesman issued in response to the Globe article:

Jill E. Fisch, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania Law School and co-director of the Institute for Law and Economics, said Romney would not have committed a felony by listing himself as managing director — even if he now claims he had no role in running the company after February 1999. There is no legal obligation to describe how active one is in the day-to-day management of the company, she said. And just because he held title of managing director doesn’t necessarily mean that he’s responsible for decisions like layoffs or outsourcing.

Furthermore, none of the new fund perspective offerings after 1999 represents Romney in any capacity.

I've presented this information to others (Obama supporters) and the only response I've received in return (after filtering out the usual snarky assed ad hominems) is "I don't believe it" then and a repeat of the A or B talking point question I mentioned above, followed by a re-referral to the post 1999 Romney signatures as presented by some partisan talking head.

Very nice post, but it seems to be a composite of several different sources, no? You really should credit each, it's only 'fair use.'

ringotuna
07-14-2012, 07:59 AM
Very nice post, but it seems to be a composite of several different sources, no? You really should credit each, it's only 'fair use.'

Good point. Let me clear that up.

http://factcheck.org/2012/07/romneys-bain-years-new-evidence-same-conclusion/

Toro
07-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Romney left Bain in 1999.

End of story.

ringotuna
07-15-2012, 04:41 AM
Romney left Bain in 1999.

End of story.

As facts go, I agree, however the issue has captured the political dialogue of the day and may very well influence the outcome of the election. The O-team is doubling down on this issue to fuel their earlier claims of Romney as a job out-sourcer. Despite the opinions of securities experts, pundits have seized on the question because they have too much political capital invested in the accusations to back down now. They skinned their nose on the out-sourcing accusations and need to place Romney in a decision making position at Bain, post 1999, in order to buttress up their earlier claims.