PDA

View Full Version : Obama spending on attack ads soars

Shadow
07-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Where all that 'wedding' money he pandered for goes apparently ;)

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama’s campaign has spent nearly $100 million on television commercials in selected battleground states so far, unleashing a sustained early barrage designed to create lasting, negative impressions of Republican Mitt Romney (http://www.debatepolicy.com/search/?topic=Mitt+Romney) before he and his allies ramp up for the fall.

In a reflection of campaign strategy, more than one-fifth of the president’s ad spending has been in Ohio, a state that looms as a must-win for Romney more so than for Obama. Florida ranks second and Virginia third, according to organizations that track media spending and other sources.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/view/20120714obama_spending_on_attack_ads_soars/

Kathianne
07-14-2012, 12:23 PM
The voters already know Obama, they are just getting a handle on Romney. It's too early to tell yet, but all that negative may hurt Obama in long run more than Romney. It reinforces the picture of Obama that many that voted for him and became disappointed by his actions; mean, petty, arrogant, and disconnected.

Romney though must guard against letting Obama define him. He must force Obama to face his record of failure. Be specific and hammer the points the people already know.

Thunderknuckles
07-14-2012, 04:44 PM
This is what depresses me so much about living in California. There are virtually no ads running here because the state's vote is a foregone conclusion. I feel disenfranchised from a good brainwashing :)

Shadow
07-14-2012, 04:51 PM
This is what depresses me so much about living in California. There are virtually no ads running here because the state's vote is a foregone conclusion. I feel disenfranchised from a good brainwashing :)

We don't get them here in NM either...guess we don't matter... oh darn. :)

mundame
07-14-2012, 10:07 PM

Good point. I don't actually know which way California is assumed to go --- It HAS gone Republican and also Democrat, IIRC.

My state, Maryland, is so predictably Democratic there is no real use voting, except for local issues and candidates. NO ads here.

It's true as Shadow posts that Obama is spending HUGE amounts on attack ads in battleground states --- I'm impressed how much they seem to be working! 3% negatives for Romney in April moved to 8% negatives for Romney in June --- that's a BIG change. It's the Bain thing; people don't like the outsourcing to Bangladesh and India and China. It's working, so the Obama campaign is sure to keep it up.

mundame
07-14-2012, 10:10 PM
Shadow's posts says Virginia is the third most important battleground state ----

And today the news is full of pictures of Obama preaching in the pouring rain in Virginia, "soaked to the skin," as the headlines say.

Kind of an interesting election. It's not over yet, because big world stuff could still happen, IMO.

Kathianne
07-15-2012, 12:59 AM
Shadow's posts says Virginia is the third most important battleground state ----

And today the news is full of pictures of Obama preaching in the pouring rain in Virginia, "soaked to the skin," as the headlines say.

Kind of an interesting election. It's not over yet, because big world stuff could still happen, IMO.

and that is the MSM. So, why did Obama choose a high school, when within a few miles George Mason University offered much more spacious accommodations? Could it be a fear they could not fill that venue?

mundame
07-15-2012, 12:39 PM
So, why did Obama choose a high school, when within a few miles George Mason University offered much more spacious accommodations? Could it be a fear they could not fill that venue?

Very possibly. Good catch. I have read they have problems with filling the venues and most of the seats being empty looks awful. So I guess the planners try for smaller venues and try to get them crowded.

Trigg
07-15-2012, 02:02 PM
I haven't seen any ads in Indiana yet, I guess they've assumed obama won't get us this go around so why bother.