PDA

View Full Version : Dad Gets Jail Time For Letting Son, 16, Marry in Las Vegas

WiccanLiberal
07-14-2012, 12:23 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/fla-milliionaire-dad-jail-time-letting-son-16/story?id=16764183

"Ordered by a family court judge to enroll his 16-year-old son in a Utah board school, a Florida millionaire instead took a detour to Las Vegas where he signed papers that allowed the child to marry his housekeeper's daughter. That act legally emancipated the son but landed the dad in a Florida jail, where he's started serving a 180-day jail sentence for contempt of court."

The marriage and the father's consent is legal. Early emancipation of minors by marriage is a common thing. In this case the father is being apparently punished for violating the spirit rather than the letter of the law. And according to the article, the kids behavioral issues which lay at the bottom of the whole matter are corrected and he is now an A student. This is one of the dumber wastes of taxpayer money I have seen recently.

Thunderknuckles
07-14-2012, 03:44 PM
The way I read it is the dad was sent to jail for contempt of court and not specifically for allowing his son to get married.
Then again, I didn't reads the full article because it is Saturday and I got an ice chest full of beer :p

Shadow
07-14-2012, 04:04 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/fla-milliionaire-dad-jail-time-letting-son-16/story?id=16764183

"Ordered by a family court judge to enroll his 16-year-old son in a Utah board school, a Florida millionaire instead took a detour to Las Vegas where he signed papers that allowed the child to marry his housekeeper's daughter. That act legally emancipated the son but landed the dad in a Florida jail, where he's started serving a 180-day jail sentence for contempt of court."

The marriage and the father's consent is legal. Early emancipation of minors by marriage is a common thing. In this case the father is being apparently punished for violating the spirit rather than the letter of the law. And according to the article, the kids behavioral issues which lay at the bottom of the whole matter are corrected and he is now an A student. This is one of the dumber wastes of taxpayer money I have seen recently.

I agree, considering the contempt charges were due to the fact that he didn't enroll his son in a school for kids with behavior problems. A school that turned his application for enrollment down apparently. So he couldn't have gone there anyway.