PDA

View Full Version : Sewing

logroller
07-16-2012, 12:18 AM
I need to make a storage bag for my sleeping bags; but the stores want $13 and I thi I I can make it cheaper. The only thing I don't know is how thick of a material can use with a standard sewing machine? Any craft persons have a good site they'd recommend?

mundame
07-16-2012, 07:16 AM
$13 sounds like a great price to me.

It's not so much the fabric thickness, unless you are using something REALLY heavy, like blanketing or heavy canvas or fleece, but the size of the needle.

The thicker fabrics need a heavier sewing machine needle. People often forget that.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-16-2012, 09:02 AM
I need to make a storage bag for my sleeping bags; but the stores want $13 and I thi I I can make it cheaper. The only thing I don't know is how thick of a material can use with a standard sewing machine? Any craft persons have a good site they'd recommend?

That price seems to be already cheap to me. Most BATH TOWELS cost at least that much .
Myself, I'd just pay the $13 but then again Im kinda lazy and have never ever even picked up a sewing needle.;)-Tyr

PostmodernProphet
07-16-2012, 09:09 AM
cut the fabric three inches wider for every seam you need.....make a three inch cut in the fabric perpendicularly every one half inch whereever you need a seam......fold fabric over to match fringe for fringe......tie two half inch strips together into a tight knot.....continue around the perimeter......turn the resulting bag inside out......who needs a needle and thread?......

logroller
07-16-2012, 12:03 PM
I have 8 bags, so $13/ adds up quickly. They (the bags) vary in price from $25 to $200; the average around $40. The issue is stuff sacks break down the insulation fill. I wouldn't have a problem kickin down $13 for the expense bags, but for the $20-$40 bags it seems like overkill. I've been using kitchen trash bags but it looks...well, trashy. Suppose I should check out prices on fabric and calculate the savings. I'm always a fan of doing it myself if possible. I figure the Chinese are busy making leaded paint cribs; hate to muck up their specialization. :laugh: