PDA

View Full Version : Where flag burning is profitable

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-16-2012, 08:15 AM
http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/16/12579414-in-pakistans-largest-city-old-glory-is-flammable-and-profitable?lite

In Pakistan's largest city, 'Old Glory' is flammable and profitable
Fareed Khan / AP, file

Protesters burn a U.S. flag during an anti-American rally in Karachi, Pakistan, on Sept. 28, 2011.
By Waj Khan, NBC News
KARACHI, Pakistan – They call it Pakistan's melting pot. Karachi, estimated to be home to over 18 million people, is the Islamic Republic's largest and perhaps most cosmopolitan city. Skyscrapers stand next to paramilitary barracks and slums encroach upon semi-constructed expressways, as mosques unite neighborhoods and golf courses divide other communities in this sprawling metropolis which is complicated by militant-run enclaves as well as women-owned banks.

But if anti-Americanism is rife in Pakistan, which currently faces the lowest point of its fractious relationship with the United States, then it is manifested, physically, almost every week in Karachi – more so than in any other city in Pakistan. After the weekly afternoon prayers on Friday, different hardline religious groups, many with political affiliations and some with militant ties, organize protest rallies with clockwork precision that range from a few hundred to throngs of thousands. But many rallies end in the same way: the burning of an American flag.

After the afternoon prayers they burn our flag! Islamist love us and just want peace huh?
When a religion is more about violence and pollitics it reveals its true purpose IMHO!-Tyr

jimnyc
07-16-2012, 08:26 AM
And when not burning the American Flag, they move onto burning likenesses of George Bush or Obama. And I don't think I ever, not even once, saw any type of authorities try and stop these activities. So what would happen if they started burning the Pakistani flag? Or another Islamic countries flag? Or burn an Islamic leader in effigy? Or an Islamic religious leader?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-16-2012, 08:34 AM
And when not burning the American Flag, they move onto burning likenesses of George Bush or Obama. And I don't think I ever, not even once, saw any type of authorities try and stop these activities. So what would happen if they started burning the Pakistani flag? Or another Islamic countries flag? Or burn an Islamic leader in effigy? Or an Islamic religious leader?

That will never happen . The entire exercise is designed by the religious leaders there to place blame on outside entities, little Satan and big Satan!
THEIR PROBLEMS AND MISERABLE CONDITIONS ARE A RESULT OF THEIR CULTURE AND RELIGION BUT TO DIVERT AWAY FROM THAT FACT THE RELIGIOUS LEADERS TEACH HATRED OF ISRAEL AND USA.
This has been Islam's policy since Israel's rebirth as a nation. America is vilified because we support Israel.
How anybody from the WEST can think it a good ideal for such religious azzhats to have a nuke is beyond my understanding!-Tyr

jafar00
07-16-2012, 05:04 PM
You expect them to love you, while you continuously violate their sovereignty with drone attacks and more?

Just declare war already so it is clearer who hates who and be done with it.

jimnyc
07-16-2012, 05:12 PM
You expect them to love you, while you continuously violate their sovereignty with drone attacks and more?

Just declare war already so it is clearer who hates who and be done with it.

Who said anything in this thread about expecting people to love anyone?

But I ask you, it's obviously OK in many Islamic countries to burn an American flag, or a likeness of a US President. Would it be OK in most Islamic countries to burn the various Islamic flags? What about likenesses of Muhammed, or other leading clerics, or of Islamic leaders or presidents?

jafar00
07-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Who said anything in this thread about expecting people to love anyone?

But I ask you, it's obviously OK in many Islamic countries to burn an American flag, or a likeness of a US President. Would it be OK in most Islamic countries to burn the various Islamic flags? What about likenesses of Muhammed, or other leading clerics, or of Islamic leaders or presidents?

Ok I'll answer one by one...

a) American Flags: Yes it's ok to burn a flag. Especially American or Israeli. They like them most it seems.
b) Likeness of a US president: I've seen a few of those. Yes it happens
c) Various Islamic Flags: They did it in Libya recently
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01977/libya-burn-photo_1977624c.jpg
d) Likeness of Mohamed (saw): They wouldn't make a likeness let alone burn one. Making likenesses, statues, paintings etc... of religious figures was banned in Islam for fear that people would revert to Christian practises of worshipping statues and whatnot instead of God directly.
e) Leading Clerics, Islamic Leaders or Presidents: Yes it does happen. See Quadhafi's pic above. Or below, in Egypt during the revolution (it's supposed to be Mubarak hanging)
http://www.thehindu.com/multimedia/dynamic/00376/ALBYMIDEAST_EGYPT_376756g.jpg