PDA

View Full Version : Iran shuts down coffee shops in morality crackdown

jimnyc
07-16-2012, 08:54 AM
Why can't women smoke a hookah just like the men? The "morality police" in some of these countries seem a bit jaded towards the gals.

(Reuters) - Iranian police shut down dozens of restaurants and coffee shops over the weekend, Iranian media reported, in a renewed crackdown on what the state sees as immoral and un-Islamic behavior.

Regular officers and members of the "morality police" raided 87 cafes and restaurants in a single district of the capital Tehran on Saturday and arrested women for flouting the Islamic dress code, according to the Iranian Students' News Agency (ISNA).

"These places were shut for not following Islamic values, providing hookah to women, and lacking proper licenses," said Tehran police official Alireza Mehrabi, according to ISNA. Women are not allowed to smoke hookah, water pipes, in public.

Mehrabi said the raid came as part of a plan to provide "neighborhood-oriented" security, and would continue in other parts of Tehran.

Coffee shop culture has flourished in Iran in recent years, offering wireless Internet, snacks, hot drinks, and a place to hang out for Iranian youth in a country where there are no bars or Western chain restaurants or cafes.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/15/us-iran-morals-crackdown-idUSBRE86E0EM20120715

logroller
07-16-2012, 12:07 PM
For second there I thought Iran had shut down access to coffee; that would be going a little too far. But no, just more of the SOP-- oppression of women. Phew!:coffee:

revelarts
07-16-2012, 02:04 PM
In new york city the oh so concerned for community health far left has everyone barred from all public smoking by the police.
In Terhan the oh so concerned for community morals Islamic far right bans just women from some smoking.

not sure which is worse.

And people wonder why i fuss so much about freedom and controlling gov't of all political stripes.
I'll be an anarchist before long with enough news like this.

Abbey Marie
07-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Why can't women smoke a hookah just like the men? The "morality police" in some of these countries seem a bit jaded towards the gals.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/15/us-iran-morals-crackdown-idUSBRE86E0EM20120715

Because the women need to get back to the housework and child-rearing, of course!

revelarts
07-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Because the women need to get back to the housework and child-rearing, of course!

And What's wrong exactly with a woman doing housework and Child-rearing miss Stienum/Fonda... i mean Abby?:poke:

but It sounds like the younger women are hanging out picking up husbands at the hoaka bar, ya-know... so they start the house work and child rearing.

jafar00
07-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Iranians behaving like buffoons as usual.

And What's wrong exactly with a woman doing housework and Child-rearing miss Stienum/Fonda... i mean Abby?:poke:

I had a similar discussion with my wife. We have a 1y/o daughter and my wife wants to build her career as a translator. But looking after our daughter is a full time job. All she has time for is looking after her and cooking. I do most of the housework so it's not like she is a slave and I provide for them both. If we were to get a nanny so she could work, the cost of a nanny here in Australia would mean that she would be pretty much working just to pay for the nanny so there is no point. Not to mention that a child's mother is the only one who should raise her own child in the first place.

There is no substitute for the traditional family where the husband goes out to work and support the family and the wife stays at home to raise the children and make a house into a home.

Nukeman
07-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Iranians behaving like buffoons as usual.

I had a similar discussion with my wife. We have a 1y/o daughter and my wife wants to build her career as a translator. But looking after our daughter is a full time job. All she has time for is looking after her and cooking. I do most of the housework so it's not like she is a slave and I provide for them both. If we were to get a nanny so she could work, the cost of a nanny here in Australia would mean that she would be pretty much working just to pay for the nanny so there is no point. Not to mention that a child's mother is the only one who should raise her own child in the first place.

There is no substitute for the traditional family where the husband goes out to work and support the family and the wife stays at home to raise the children and make a house into a home.My wife and I had this same conversation when our children were small. We decided we could do without a new car and new "things" instead she stayed home for a number of years until the children were in school full time and then went back to work part time! We have 4 VERY well adjusted and polite children (well 2 children and 2 young adults :thumb:)... Its a sacrifice that I wish more families would make if at all possible, you don't always need the newest smart phone, TV, or anything.....

Good choice for you and your family!!!:beer:

Drummond
07-16-2012, 05:00 PM
There is no substitute for the traditional family where the husband goes out to work and support the family and the wife stays at home to raise the children and make a house into a home.

'Amazing' how that just so happened to be the 'near-inevitable' conclusion to be reached in this case ...

Are you going to tell us that this lady is fully content with such an outcome, and has no thought to work on a compromise that aids her ambitions ?

And, would you entertain such a compromise, if one was aired, 'jafar' ?

jafar00
07-16-2012, 08:28 PM
'Amazing' how that just so happened to be the 'near-inevitable' conclusion to be reached in this case ...

Are you going to tell us that this lady is fully content with such an outcome, and has no thought to work on a compromise that aids her ambitions ?

And, would you entertain such a compromise, if one was aired, 'jafar' ?

I can say that she is not 100% satisfied because she really wants to work in the translation field. However she is also mindful of the fact that our daughter is 100% dependent on her. There is even tears when she just goes to the bathroom. When our daughter is old enough to go to Kindergarten, she can start to ease herself back into the workforce if she wishes to and she will have my 100% support as always.

I was talking to an old fella down at the ferry wharf today where he often catches fish, and he surprised me by bringing up this very subject. He lamented that in these times of both parents working, the children of today are not being raised correctly as they were in old times where only the husband went to work. I have to agree with him. You simply cannot bring children up correctly and have them become well adjusted unless they have their parents do it.

Being a stay at home mum may not seem like a glamorous career these days, but it is probably the most important career in the world. Your mother should be and is the most important person in the world. There is no substitute.

Abbey Marie
07-17-2012, 10:21 AM

but It sounds like the younger women are hanging out picking up husbands at the hoaka bar, ya-know... so they start the house work and child rearing.

Wow, did you wrench a wrong interpretation out of that one.

revelarts
07-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Wow, did you wrench a wrong interpretation out of that one.

I took it the way i could make the most of it Abby.;)