PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Navy Destroys Small Attack Boat in Persian Gulf

mundame
07-16-2012, 03:22 PM
U.S. Navy ship fires at small boat in Persian Gulf<!--endclickprintinclude--><!--startclickprintexclude--><!--no partner-->By Barbara Starr, CNN Pentagon Correspondent
updated 3:30 PM EDT, Mon July 16, 2012

<!--google_ad_section_end--><!--startclickprintexclude-->http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/120716043628-rappahannock-ship-story-top.jpg
The USNS Rappahannock, a fuel resupply ship, fired on what the officials called a "small, white pleasure craft."

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

<!--google_ad_section_start-->
NEW: Three people were also wounded, Defense officials say
One person appears to have been killed, U.S. officials say
The boat approached too near the USNS Rappahannock, the officials say
The shots were intended to disable the boat, they say<!--google_ad_section_end-->

<!--endclickprintexclude--><!--google_ad_section_start--><!--startclickprintinclude-->Washington (CNN) -- A U.S. military supply ship fired Monday at a small boat in the Persian Gulf after it came too close, killing one person on board and wounding three, Defense Department officials said.
The USNS Rappahannock, a fuel resupply ship, fired on what two U.S. officials called a "small, white pleasure craft" 10 miles (16 kilometers) from the Dubai port of Jebel Ali.
The small boat appeared to be headed for that port, the officials said, adding that their information was preliminary. The U.S. ship verbally warned the smaller boat when it was 1,200 yards (1,100 meters) away and fired at least one warning shot before the decision was made to fire shots to disable the boat, the officials said.
"In accordance with Navy force protection procedures, the sailors on the USNS Rappahannock ... used a series of non-lethal, preplanned responses to warn the vessel before resorting to lethal force," the Navy said in a statement.
"The U.S. crew repeatedly attempted to warn the vessel's operators to turn away from their deliberate approach. When those efforts failed to deter the approaching vessel, the security team on the Rappahannock fired rounds from a .50-caliber machine gun."
Officials described the course of events as standard procedures when a small boat gets too close to a U.S. Navy ship.
************************************************** *******************************************

That's how they got the U.S.S. Cole. Sailed a little boat right up to its side ------------- packed with explosives.

It would be pretty stupid not to shoot these types out of the water. Just terrorists, probably (as opposed to Iran), like with the Cole.

The Iranians might try on "swarming," when dozens of little boats, some loaded with explosives, zoom confusingly around the big ship, in and out, close. They've done swarming before.

Kathianne
07-16-2012, 03:54 PM
U.S. Navy ship fires at small boat in Persian Gulf

<!--endclickprintinclude--><!--startclickprintexclude--><!--no partner-->By Barbara Starr, CNN Pentagon Correspondent
updated 3:30 PM EDT, Mon July 16, 2012

<!--google_ad_section_end--><!--startclickprintexclude-->http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/120716043628-rappahannock-ship-story-top.jpg
The USNS Rappahannock, a fuel resupply ship, fired on what the officials called a "small, white pleasure craft."

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

<!--google_ad_section_start-->
NEW: Three people were also wounded, Defense officials say
One person appears to have been killed, U.S. officials say
The boat approached too near the USNS Rappahannock, the officials say
The shots were intended to disable the boat, they say<!--google_ad_section_end-->

<!--endclickprintexclude--><!--google_ad_section_start--><!--startclickprintinclude-->Washington (CNN) -- A U.S. military supply ship fired Monday at a small boat in the Persian Gulf after it came too close, killing one person on board and wounding three, Defense Department officials said.
The USNS Rappahannock, a fuel resupply ship, fired on what two U.S. officials called a "small, white pleasure craft" 10 miles (16 kilometers) from the Dubai port of Jebel Ali.
The small boat appeared to be headed for that port, the officials said, adding that their information was preliminary. The U.S. ship verbally warned the smaller boat when it was 1,200 yards (1,100 meters) away and fired at least one warning shot before the decision was made to fire shots to disable the boat, the officials said.
"In accordance with Navy force protection procedures, the sailors on the USNS Rappahannock ... used a series of non-lethal, preplanned responses to warn the vessel before resorting to lethal force," the Navy said in a statement.
"The U.S. crew repeatedly attempted to warn the vessel's operators to turn away from their deliberate approach. When those efforts failed to deter the approaching vessel, the security team on the Rappahannock fired rounds from a .50-caliber machine gun."
Officials described the course of events as standard procedures when a small boat gets too close to a U.S. Navy ship.
************************************************** *******************************************

That's how they got the U.S.S. Cole. Sailed a little boat right up to its side ------------- packed with explosives.

It would be pretty stupid not to shoot these types out of the water. Just terrorists, probably (as opposed to Iran), like with the Cole.

The Iranians might try on "swarming," when dozens of little boats, some loaded with explosives, zoom confusingly around the big ship, in and out, close. They've done swarming before.

Sorry about the loss of life, but remember the Cole!

logroller
07-16-2012, 03:54 PM
I don't care who is shooting at me; I'd change course away from them...then again I don't have death wish.:dunno:

jafar00
07-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Can't wait for the speculation to end and the real story to come out.

Kathianne
07-16-2012, 04:41 PM

That will be good, but if the story is 'got too close, non-response to warnings." Too bad.

Nukeman
07-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Can't wait for the speculation to end and the real story to come out.How do you think Iran would spin it if a US fishing boat kept coming towards them at full speed and DID NOT heed warnings to turn away!! REALLY do you think the US Navy shoots anything that comes near it?? REALLY?? IF that was the case half the Iranian navy would be on the bottom of the gulf!!!!!!

aboutime
07-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Doesn't matter what anyone here, or in any other part of the World thinks.

The U.S. Navy is there to take care of business. And that means. Protecting our ships, and their crews because THEY ALL REMEMBER what happened to the U.S.S. Cole.

Any craft, large, small, or medium that doesn't heed the warnings broadcast via radio, or other means there in the Persian Gulf. WILL GET THE SAME.

If Iran is testing us. I suspect. They learned rather quickly. It's not gonna be to their liking if they try it again.

U.S. Ships are the targets. But so are those who attempt to approach our ships.

If anyone is dumb enough to keep trying. Great. Our people need all the GUNNERY practice they can handle. And there's nothing like shooting a 50 cal....at stuff in the water. I know. I've done it, and enjoyed it.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Doesn't matter what anyone here, or in any other part of the World thinks.

The U.S. Navy is there to take care of business. And that means. Protecting our ships, and their crews because THEY ALL REMEMBER what happened to the U.S.S. Cole.

Any craft, large, small, or medium that doesn't heed the warnings broadcast via radio, or other means there in the Persian Gulf. WILL GET THE SAME.

If Iran is testing us. I suspect. They learned rather quickly. It's not gonna be to their liking if they try it again.

U.S. Ships are the targets. But so are those who attempt to approach our ships.

If anyone is dumb enough to keep trying. Great. Our people need all the GUNNERY practice they can handle. And there's nothing like shooting a 50 cal....at stuff in the water. I know. I've done it, and enjoyed it.

Man, I'd give half a years pay to be able to shoot a attacking muslim pirate boat out of the water with a 50 cal.
Are they twin mounted ? That would be even coooooler! Firing off about 3 or 4 thousand rounds, yipppppie!
Reckon' the Navy could be talked into starting a lottery with winner getting to go there in a disguised ship just waiting for the fanatical idiots to attack. I'm game all the way and wouldnt lose a minutes sleep over wasting the foooooooools
Indian blood my friend , in my veins , makes me a bit bloodthirsty.--;) -Tyr

revelarts
07-16-2012, 06:28 PM
I wish we could spend all the dollars of the navy ships in the Persian gulf on real alternatives to M.E. oil.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-16-2012, 08:00 PM
I wish we could spend all the dollars of the navy ships in the Persian gulf on real alternatives to M.E. oil.

Sure thought that you'd like the shoot 'em up lottery suggestion. I'd even buy you a lottery ticket too!-:laugh2:-TZ

red state
07-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Man, I'd give half a years pay to be able to shoot a attacking muslim pirate boat out of the water with a 50 cal.
Are they twin mounted ? That would be even coooooler! Firing off about 3 or 4 thousand rounds, yipppppie!
Reckon' the Navy could be talked into starting a lottery with winner getting to go there in a disguised ship just waiting for the fanatical idiots to attack. I'm game all the way and wouldnt lose a minutes sleep over wasting the foooooooools
Indian blood my friend , in my veins , makes me a bit bloodthirsty.--;) -Tyr

Yeah....my Cherokee blood (just a bit mixed in with Scott/Irish & Italian) but it would be wonderful if we had a "Make a Wish Foundation" for Patriotic Americans cuz we all know that we're a dying breed under B.O. (the world citizen). Hmmmm, I didn't think a "WORLD CITIZEN" could run or serve as president of the USA. Seriously though...it is a wonder they don't end up prosecuting the Naval gunner. Wait on it. This is the same president who tries to call himself "the S.E.A.L. president" or part of this elite unit YET he's part of the scum that have had a S.E.A.L. commander under prosecution and part of the problem who criticized Allen West for having a pair.

jafar00
07-16-2012, 09:00 PM

I have often wondered what could be achieved if even a fraction of the US military budget were put to better use to advance scientific discoveries to make all of our lives better instead of living with the threat of all out war.

You could halve the US military budget and still spend way more than the nearest rival, China. With 2010 figures that's about $340 billion.

What could you do with $340billion?

Obama's 2013 Clean energy research budget is $27.2b
The US National Institute of Health budget is around $30b
NASA's budget is about $17b

Imagine if those budgets were raised? Imagine what could be discovered? What could be achieved?

Instead all that money is tied up pointing missiles all over the place. Tell me that is logical?

Mr. P
07-17-2012, 12:37 AM

I guess it was just a pleasure boat with a bunch of drunk Muslims that didn't see the stop sign.

jafar00
07-17-2012, 01:28 AM
I guess it was just a pleasure boat with a bunch of drunk Muslims that didn't see the stop sign.

Well... there were plenty of innocent families gunned down at US checkpoints in Iraq a few years ago because of confusing hand signals or orders barked at them in English.

revelarts
07-17-2012, 06:32 AM
the Cole was no joke, but it was done by terrorist. The Iranian do not need to use pleasure boats to attack they have rockets on shore that could do that if they REALLY want to attack. But are not stupid and if they wanted to attack U.S. ships with proxies to make it look as if they were not the ones who did it they could.
Though to many Americans all Muslims look alike so whoever the Prez pointed the finger at some of the population would buy it without question, no matter what evidence to the contrary might show.

But on the other hand A small terrorist group could have as a goal to stir up a war with Iran to have the Shia regime on it's back. The Saudis with its well known connections and support of Alquida could do a false flag operation and make it look AS IF the Iranians did it. The wiki leaks papers showed they want the U.S. to attack them. they've got the cash to help pull it off that's for sure.

Then there's a less likely plan, since Cheney and Crew are out of office, but you never know. It was reported a few years back that Cheney wanted to do a false flag on Iran with boats painted in Iranian style and U.S. soldiers posing as Iranians attacking U.S. ships. the plan was rejected. By who i don't know maybe Bush.

<big>Huffington Post:</big>
Pulitzer Prize-winning New Yorker reporter Seymour Hersh recently told Think Progress that a recent meeting in Vice President Cheney's office on the topic of how to provoke a war with Iran yielded some interesting results:

Hersh: There was a dozen ideas proffered about how to trigger a war. The one that interested me the most was why don't we build -- we in our shipyard -- build four or five boats that look like Iranian PT boats. Put Navy seals on them with a lot of arms. And next time one of our boats goes to the Straits of Hormuz, start a shoot-up.

Might cost some lives. And it was rejected because you can't have Americans killing Americans. That's the kind of -- that's the level of stuff we're talking about. Provocation. But that was rejected.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/31/hersh-cheneys-office-cons_n_116140.html
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/QeqiHfj0OFY?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/QeqiHfj0OFY?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Seems there are players on all sides that do want to start something, i hope clearer heads prevail.

mundame
07-17-2012, 01:45 PM
If Iran is testing us. I suspect.

I suspect that's just what this is about. Testing to see what happens, and if they paid an Indian fishing boat to collect the info and get shot up, all the better, because next time they'll hope we won't fire.

And then they can blow a 20-foot hole in the side and sink the ship.

I think if boats come close, they need to be shot out of the water. Single small boats packed with explosives and swarming flocks of zooming power boats, some of them loaded with explosives, are the new naval tactic. Saying "Oh, they're little, we can't hurt them!" is not responding adequately to the threat, IMO.

aboutime
07-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Well... there were plenty of innocent families gunned down at US checkpoints in Iraq a few years ago because of confusing hand signals or orders barked at them in English.

Seems you intentionally ignored, or didn't happen to mention all of the Civilian, Innocent family members who were gunned down by Asad, and Saddam.
And let's not intentionally forget how the Taliban, and Al Quada used children, and women as shields to protect their COWARDLY, Muslim butts.

Guess they didn't know the confusing hand signals either. You know. The ones that say GO AHEAD AND SHOOT...I've got kids and women to protect me!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Yeah....my Cherokee blood (just a bit mixed in with Scott/Irish & Italian) but it would be wonderful if we had a "Make a Wish Foundation" for Patriotic Americans cuz we all know that we're a dying breed under B.O. (the world citizen). Hmmmm, I didn't think a "WORLD CITIZEN" could run or serve as president of the USA. Seriously though...it is a wonder they don't end up prosecuting the Naval gunner. Wait on it. This is the same president who tries to call himself "the S.E.A.L. president" or part of this elite unit YET he's part of the scum that have had a S.E.A.L. commander under prosecution and part of the problem who criticized Allen West for having a pair.

I am all for scalping traitors myself! Of course after they have had a fair day in court and are sentenced to death as punishment. If they'd let me choose which ones to do I'd do the first dozen free of charge! A messy busines and would have to charge after that freebie round!-;)
Injun blood says why not , right amigo?--Tyr

red state
07-17-2012, 09:40 PM
I am all for scalping traitors myself! Of course after they have had a fair day in court and are sentenced to death as punishment. If they'd let me choose which ones to do I'd do the first dozen free of charge! A messy busines and would have to charge after that freebie round!-;)

RIGHT, "oginanili"...or should I use a more familiar term: Ke'mo sahbee!!! Right down to the traitor in chief (who is ANYTHING but a chief...or warrior). Just another squirrely little twerp like the one who never sees the other side of things or will probably never answer any of your questions....I'm still waiting on an answer that I had not long ago (or was that some other lil' libbie loser lemming that I posed an abortion question over? I forget now but I'll be fine and happy with a simple answer to your question (which really isn't a question). HA! We all know those muSLUMs are lil' cowards....and they certainly don't have the brains to have the technology that we have cuz muSLUM countries tread all over freedom, ideals and enlightenment. Is it any wonder that most of them are hundreds of years (or at least decades upon decades behind the times). Remember the old Saddam Heisan rocket launcher cartoons. HA!!! Very near to being the truth of what they have to fight with (NUTHIN')....except their women and children. What is a shame more than how these folks are treated by their muSLUM leaders is how our own so-called Americans build OUR enemies up as some sort of hero! Jafart, you need to go back to your ROOTs (if you aren't over there already). I'd feel beacoup better knowing where are enemies are so that our boys can crack all the eggs in within the same basket.

Do I hate muSLUMs or Arabic people? NO, I just hate my enemies. There's an Arabic gas station just down the road from me and those guys are very polite, speak English very well and love the same old school rock n roll that I like....they don't go for all that allah crap and neither do I. My Native American cousins may have viewed the wind, sky and water as gods at one time with a belief that they almost got right in ONE GREAT FATHER SPIRIT but many of them saw the light and accepted Christ. Many who follow the cult of is-SLUM should do the same cuz those that do....almost always do well in doing so (unless they are within the border of an intolerant muSLUM country).

jafar00
07-17-2012, 10:13 PM
Seems you intentionally ignored, or didn't happen to mention all of the Civilian, Innocent family members who were gunned down by Asad, and Saddam.
And let's not intentionally forget how the Taliban, and Al Quada used children, and women as shields to protect their COWARDLY, Muslim butts.

First, I do not ignore what Saddam did or what Assad is doing right now. In Saddam's case though, if you kept your head down, got on with life and didn't do anything to threaten Saddam's rule, you were safe. One of my wife's Uncles worked there and said it was a safe and modern society. But if you were involved in terrorism, you had a target painted on you.

I sent money to help Syrians recently. Have you done your bit against Assad?

As for human shields, I don't believe it. It's the same old excuse used to get out of being responsible for civilian deaths. The Israelis use it too as they strap kids to their army vehicles.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_rZ5_44XVk1Q/TPWTggD8L8I/AAAAAAAAAUE/7Uq22ZDLo-8/s1600/The+day+Israel+used+a+boy+aged+13+as+a+human+Shiel d.jpg

Of course, if a Muslim nation was "scalping" traitors or just executing them, you would be the first to relish the opportunity to say how barbaric the Muslims are.
What do you think of this one? :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imASxXlpzkc

Gaffer
07-18-2012, 10:10 AM
First, I do not ignore what Saddam did or what Assad is doing right now. In Saddam's case though, if you kept your head down, got on with life and didn't do anything to threaten Saddam's rule, you were safe. One of my wife's Uncles worked there and said it was a safe and modern society. But if you were involved in terrorism, you had a target painted on you.

As for human shields, I don't believe it. It's the same old excuse used to get out of being responsible for civilian deaths. The Israelis use it too as they strap kids to their army vehicles.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_rZ5_44XVk1Q/TPWTggD8L8I/AAAAAAAAAUE/7Uq22ZDLo-8/s1600/The+day+Israel+used+a+boy+aged+13+as+a+human+Shiel d.jpg

Of course, if a Muslim nation was "scalping" traitors or just executing them, you would be the first to relish the opportunity to say how barbaric the Muslims are.

I remember this one. It was about 7 years ago. They snatched up one of the rock throwers and put him on the vehicle so his friends would stop throwing rocks. It worked. The kid wasn't hurt. I do believe the soldiers that did it were reprimanded. It doesn't compare to the pals setting up rocket sites in school yards full of kids.

Pal leaders keep groups of kids around them at all times to protect themselves from Israeli strikes.

And yes, muslims are barbaric. There are exceptions, but generally speaking they are barbaric.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-18-2012, 10:14 AM

I admitted that it was bloodthirsty did I not(?) and it was made more in jest to my friend redstate that happens to share Native American blood with me.-
However, there have been plenty of people simply executed by muslims without a day in court ! If you doubt that just let google be your helpful friend! -Tyr

aboutime
07-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Two words that go together like Milk and Cookies....jafar and Hypocrisy.

red state
07-18-2012, 03:12 PM
I remember this one. It was about 7 years ago. They snatched up one of the rock throwers and put him on the vehicle so his friends would stop throwing rocks. It worked. The kid wasn't hurt. I do believe the soldiers that did it were reprimanded. It doesn't compare to the pals setting up rocket sites in school yards full of kids.

Pal leaders keep groups of kids around them at all times to protect themselves from Israeli strikes.

And yes, muslims are barbaric. There are exceptions, but generally speaking they are barbaric.

Nice try jafart!

muSLUMs are also liars and ill-informed illiterates. FACT! Most are illiterate and VERY few if any have contributed to science or significantly to science. I remembered this as one of my questions to jaFART. I'm just glad that Gaffer's memory is better than mine. Way to go Gaffer!!! muSLUMS will either lie for propaganda reasons or spout off out of ignorance...jafart is a poster boy in proving this. HA! And, Gaffer, you are so correct in saying that for the most part muSLUMs are barbaric. muSLUMs are also terrorists...for the most part. FACT: Not all muSLUMS are terrorists but most ALL terrorists are muSLUMs!!!

[Incidents like these never cease to amaze me.

According witnesses, the Israeli army, faced with stone-throwing protesters, grabbed a 13 year old Palestinian kid and tied him by the arm to their jeep in order to stop the stone-throwers from aiming at the jeep. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3650791.stm]

Way to go Israel!!!

red state
07-18-2012, 03:23 PM
I admitted that it was bloodthirsty did I not(?) and it was made more in jest to my friend redstate that happens to share Native American blood with me.-
However, there have been plenty of people simply executed by muslims without a day in court ! If you doubt that just let google be your helpful friend! -Tyr

Tyr, Tyr, Tyr, Don't scare jafart off with threats of FACT or researching FACTS/TRUTHS. Every site needs its clowns and I'd certainly hate to lose this one...he's hilarious!

Aboutime, You know as well as I that hypocrites, liberals, commie bastages and muSLUMS all share a common trait; they are all weak minded lemmings who can't stand on their own or against evil cuz most of them are evil and the rest are simply ignorant cowards. But for words that go together like milk and cookies describing these folk are [master and slave], [sheik and concubine], [big brother and the so-called 99%], [Piper and RATs].