PDA

View Full Version : Now Touchable: Eliot Ness Items At Auction

Shadow
07-17-2012, 07:23 AM
Rare documents from the professional and private life of famed crime-fighter Eliot Ness–one of the federal agents who put gangster Al Capone in jail–will be auctioned later this summer by Central Mass Auctions (http://www.centralmassauctions.com/indexconflict.html) of Worcester, Mass.

Ness’ war in the late ’20s and early ’30s against Capone and Chicago bootlegging have spawned movies–including director Brian De Palma’s 1987 “The Untouchables” with Kevin Costner, Sean Connery and Robert De Niro–and TV shows including the hit 1960s series of the same name, starring Robert Stack.
The elite corps of federal agents Ness assembled were called “untouchable” because they could not be bribed or otherwise corrupted.

Wayne Tuiskula of Central Mass Auctions, who appraised the collection, values it at between $30,000 and $50,000. It will be sold September 27, he says, as a single unit. “We’re hoping it will go to somebody who will keep it all together and who might want to display the items in a museum.”

The two most valuable items, in Tuiskula’s opinion, are the federal credentials Ness carried while on the job, one from 1927, the other from 1932. “These are what he’d have flashed when was arresting somebody, when he was chasing down a bootlegger or a gangster. They’re one-of-a-kind items, issued by the government and signed by Ness. There are no copies of these around.”

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2012/07/now-touchable-eliot-ness-items-at-auction/

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-17-2012, 09:03 AM
Rare documents from the professional and private life of famed crime-fighter Eliot Ness–one of the federal agents who put gangster Al Capone in jail–will be auctioned later this summer by Central Mass Auctions (http://www.centralmassauctions.com/indexconflict.html) of Worcester, Mass.

Ness’ war in the late ’20s and early ’30s against Capone and Chicago bootlegging have spawned movies–including director Brian De Palma’s 1987 “The Untouchables” with Kevin Costner, Sean Connery and Robert De Niro–and TV shows including the hit 1960s series of the same name, starring Robert Stack.
The elite corps of federal agents Ness assembled were called “untouchable” because they could not be bribed or otherwise corrupted.

Wayne Tuiskula of Central Mass Auctions, who appraised the collection, values it at between $30,000 and $50,000. It will be sold September 27, he says, as a single unit. “We’re hoping it will go to somebody who will keep it all together and who might want to display the items in a museum.”

The two most valuable items, in Tuiskula’s opinion, are the federal credentials Ness carried while on the job, one from 1927, the other from 1932. “These are what he’d have flashed when was arresting somebody, when he was chasing down a bootlegger or a gangster. They’re one-of-a-kind items, issued by the government and signed by Ness. There are no copies of these around.”

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2012/07/now-touchable-eliot-ness-items-at-auction/

Eliot Ness was truly untouchable. They couldnt bribe him and couldnt stop him! However were he doing that these days the drug lords would put a million dollar bounty on his head and a squad of men to get him. Times have changed and not for the better. Remember obama and Holder were arming the mexican drug gangs! Capone had no American President in his back pocket, they mexican drug gangs do!-Tyr

Shadow
07-21-2012, 08:57 AM
Eliot Ness was truly untouchable. They couldnt bribe him and couldnt stop him! However were he doing that these days the drug lords would put a million dollar bounty on his head and a squad of men to get him. Times have changed and not for the better. Remember obama and Holder were arming the mexican drug gangs! Capone had no American President in his back pocket, they mexican drug gangs do!-Tyr

I agree...in certain ways they havent. Probably why ever since I was very young I have felt that I was born late. I have always had a hard time relating to my generation. Wished I was born a good 10 /20 years earlier sometimes.

kind of sad that he died destitute and never got to see or read the "untouchables".

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-21-2012, 10:18 AM
I agree...in certain ways they havent. Probably why ever since I was very young I have felt that I was born late. I have always had a hard time relating to my generation. Wished I was born a good 10 /20 years earlier sometimes.

kind of sad that he died destitute and never got to see or read the "untouchables".

Too bad that we dont have a force that is "untouchable" to investigate the ever so corrupt obama ! We desperately need a new Eliot Ness for that!-Tyr