PDA

View Full Version : Ramadan Kareem (Happy Ramadan)

jafar00
07-19-2012, 02:34 PM
http://nicefun.net/userpix1/13594_Ramadan_Greetings_Cards_NiceFun_3_1.jpg

May Allah accept our fasting and forgive us our sins and make the world a better place in this holy month of Ramadan.

logroller
07-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Allahu akram!

Drummond
07-19-2012, 03:18 PM
May Allah accept our fasting and forgive us our sins and make the world a better place in this holy month of Ramadan.

...FASTING, eh ??

Now I see why the avatar can be mistaken for a migraine attack !! See ...

http://www.mcvitamins.com/migraine.htm

Low blood sugar is frequently associated with migraine; studies have shown that blood sugar levels are low during a migraine attack, and the lower the blood sugar level, the more severe the headache.

See also ...

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/108414/fasting%20headache

Severe headaches are one of the reasons for which it is permissible to break the fast in Ramadaan, especially as fasting is something that makes the headache worse. So there is nothing wrong with the one who is affected by that breaking his fast in order to take medicine, and he may eat and drink to take away that pain. But he has to make up the days that he did not fast after Ramadaan is over, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [of days which one did not observe Sawm (fasts) must be made up] from other days”

[al-Baqarah 2:185]

[I]It says in al-Jawharah al-Nubayrah (Hanafi) (1/142): The sick person for whom it is permissible to break the fast if fasting will make his fever worse or increase the pain in his eyes or head. End quote.

Perhaps it's just me. But maybe one could observe that a little Ramadan could be a dangerous thing ?

At any rate .. I get the impression that it's an exercise in masochism. Oh, well ....

logroller
07-19-2012, 03:32 PM
...FASTING, eh ??

Now I see why the avatar can be mistaken for a migraine attack !! See ...

http://www.mcvitamins.com/migraine.htm

See also ...

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/108414/fasting%20headache

Perhaps it's just me. But maybe one could observe that a little Ramadan could be a dangerous thing ?

At any rate .. I get the impression that it's an exercise in masochism. Oh, well ....
I can go all day without eating with no headaches or ill effects. it's quite cleansing actually; don't knock it till you try it. Fasting is practiced by an abundance of religions, lent for example. my dad is a Benedictine monk and fasts regularly; and besides, people eat too much anyways..

Drummond
07-19-2012, 03:42 PM
I can go all day without eating with no headaches or ill effects. it's quite cleansing actually; don't knock it till you try it. Fasting is practiced by an abundance of religions, lent for example. my dad is a Benedictine monk and fasts regularly; and besides, people eat too much anyways..

You seem rather defensive when it comes to this subject. Are you particularly motivated to favour Ramadan, or Islam, more generally ?

I have indeed tried not eating for an entire day, and without exception, I feel much the worse for the attempts. Either I feel a lot weaker by the end of the day, or .. get this ! .. I find myself having a migraine attack ...

Well, let's just say that this fasting mullarkey isn't exactly something that convinces me of the 'benevolence' of the creed. I'll give it a miss, thanks very much ...

logroller
07-19-2012, 03:54 PM
You seem rather defensive when it comes to this subject. Are you particularly motivated to favour Ramadan, or Islam, more generally ?

I have indeed tried not eating for an entire day, and without exception, I feel much the worse for the attempts. Either I feel a lot weaker by the end of the day, or .. get this ! .. I find myself having a migraine attack ...

Well, let's just say that this fasting mullarkey isn't exactly something that convinces me of the 'benevolence' of the creed. I'll give it a miss, thanks very much ...
Your being offended by others' practices doesn't make me defensive. I was raised in a strict religion, but was free to do as I wished. I kept the practices I found beneficial to me, including tolerance. If you can't go 12 hours without eating you have a medical issue; possibly brought about by a lifetime of poor eating habits. Maybe you should get that checked out instead of yet another diatribe about your despise for what others do that has absolutely no effect you personally.

Drummond
07-19-2012, 03:55 PM
I offer this as a suggestion which - judging by the article - cannot help but offer health benefits ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7540732/A-high-fat-breakfast-of-bacon-and-eggs-may-be-the-healthiest-start-to-the-day-report-shows.html

Drummond
07-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Your being offended by others' practices doesn't make me defensive. I was raised in a strict religion, but was free to do as I wished. I kept the practices I found beneficial to me, including tolerance. If you can't go 12 hours without eating you have a medical issue; possibly brought about by a lifetime of poor eating habits. Maybe you should get that checked out instead of yet another diatribe about your despise for what others do that has absolutely no effect you personally.

May I point out that a day is 24 hours long, and not 12 ?

I can easily go for 12 hours without food. 24 .. I have a little more difficulty with.

I don't consider it natural to deny myself food for that long a period, and I for one have no interest in promoting such self-denial to anyone else.

As for the wider issue of tolerance ... let's just say that I am very willing indeed to confer the extent of tolerance towards Islam, that Islam confers to Christians across the world.

.. Now, can I say any fairer than that ?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-19-2012, 04:38 PM

I can easily go for 12 hours without food. 24 .. I have a little more difficulty with.

I don't consider it natural to deny myself food for that long a period, and I for one have no interest in promoting such self-denial to anyone else.

As for the wider issue of tolerance ... let's just say that I am very willing indeed to confer the extent of tolerance towards Islam, that Islam confers to Christians across the world.

Bravo.. I say give them the same tolerance that they give others! Which is zero or next to zero. Turn about is fair play is it not?
For if it is not then where are the criticism for the first party's actions !??
Islam is without a doubt the most intolerant religion known to man. What other religion believes in and attempts to murder and destroy those of other faiths worldwide? Can anybody name another religion ACTIVELY PRACTICING THAT WORLDWIDE NOW? -Tyr

aboutime
07-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Bravo.. I say give them the same tolerance that they give others! Which is zero or next to zero. Turn about is fair play is it not?
Islam is without a doubt the most intolerant religion known to man. What other religion believes in and attempts to murder and destroy those of other faiths worldwide? Can anybody name another religion ACTIVELY PRACTICING THAT WORLDWIDE NOW? -Tyr

If memory serves me well. I recall being taught that exact principle while growing up. As a Christian child. I remember just such attitudes, and principles as 'The Golden Rule". Do unto others...
So now we call it turn about. I do wonder what the Religion of Peace would Honestly call that?

jimnyc
07-19-2012, 04:50 PM
I think we should save the fighting for the other threads. Jafar was just wishing everyone a Happy Ramadan, no different than a Christian saying Merry Christmas to their friends, even if some of them don't celebrate that particular holiday. Let's take it from the manner in which it was given and save the animosity for political stances.

Happy Ramadan to you, Jafar.

Drummond
07-19-2012, 04:58 PM

Exactly, Tyr !

I get really fed up with declarations from Islamic sources which profess tolerance, yet when you look just a bit deeper do nothing of the sort. I don't see a great number of Christian churches springing up in Middle Eastern, pro-Islamic countries, but what I DO see is mosques being built by the hundreds in the West, with nobody saying a single word against them.

Oh, and what about the Ground Zero mosque ?? How receptive was the character to all the protests about it ? Did he show enough respect for the indignation, outrage, sheer pain, that the prospect of its construction aroused, not least from those bereaved following 9/11 ? NO .. his argument, as I recall, went along the lines that he had a DUTY to see to it that it was built.

A duty to his creed .. sure. A duty of CONTEMPT for anyone supplying opposition. Tolerance, it seems, is expected to flow in a single direction ...

Drummond
07-19-2012, 05:01 PM
I think we should save the fighting for the other threads. Jafar was just wishing everyone a Happy Ramadan, no different than a Christian saying Merry Christmas to their friends, even if some of them don't celebrate that particular holiday. Let's take it from the manner in which it was given and save the animosity for political stances.

.. only just now seen, Jim.

Ok - I'll quit this thread from this point on. In any case, I've nothing to add to it.

aboutime
07-19-2012, 05:02 PM

Cannot agree with you there. It would be totally Hypocritical of me to just pretend...all is well here. And in the next post. The hatred begins again.
I cannot, in good conscience pretend that I am smiling when someone who HATES so much, tries to pretend that Hatred isn't hidden behind the false wishes of Happy Ramadan.
Not to mention. If it was Christmas, and not Ramadan. The very same person would be accusing us of spreading the Hatred of Christianity.
I refuse to become another Obama.

jimnyc
07-19-2012, 05:03 PM
.. only just now seen, Jim.

Ok - I'll quit this thread from this point on. In any case, I've nothing to add to it.

No problem... If you want to start a thread on a specific topic, I can move posts from here over for you, and then you guys can go further into the topic? I think you make some decent and valid points, but I was just trying to respect Jafar's sentiment as I would a Christian on Christmas. :)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-19-2012, 05:04 PM

I may reply in kind IF he ever wishes me and mine a Happy Christmas. I will not be holding my breath waiting for it Jim.
However my post was in reply to logroller and Drumnond's exchanges about Islam.
So far I've NOT personally insulted jafar but he has me on at least three seperate instances, calling me racist, moron and stupid.
Just setting the record straight here.-Tyr

jimnyc
07-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Cannot agree with you there. It would be totally Hypocritical of me to just pretend...all is well here. And in the next post. The hatred begins again.
I cannot, in good conscience pretend that I am smiling when someone who HATES so much, tries to pretend that Hatred isn't hidden behind the false wishes of Happy Ramadan.
Not to mention. If it was Christmas, and not Ramadan. The very same person would be accusing us of spreading the Hatred of Christianity.
I refuse to become another Obama.

My experience with the "holiday" threads was that everyone stayed happy about it, and those really not into that particular holiday, refrained from the thread out of respect to the other participants celebrating. I'm not asking anyone to pretend anything at all. There can be a mini break and well wishing, or you are free to ignore the thread altogether. I just don't think each and every thread MUST be an argument.

And you guys are not being moderated. I just think certain threads should remain peaceful. Just like when there are "Happy Birthday" threads. If you have animosity with the person who has a birthday, I would expect the thread to be ignored as opposed as a place to tell them further what a shithead they are!

"There's a place and time for everything"

jimnyc
07-19-2012, 05:11 PM
I may reply in kind IF he ever wishes me and mine a Happy Christmas. I will not be holding my breath waiting for it Jim.
However my post was in reply to logroller and Drumnond's exchanges about Islam.
So far I've NOT personally insulted jafar but he has me on at least three seperate instances, calling me racist, moron and stupid.
Just setting the record straight here.-Tyr

I'm not getting involved in a feud or taking sides, just pointing out that I think Holidays should be respected, or ignored, as when it's our time to celebrate we will expect a level of respect when we are doing the celebrating.

aboutime
07-19-2012, 05:14 PM
My experience with the "holiday" threads was that everyone stayed happy about it, and those really not into that particular holiday, refrained from the thread out of respect to the other participants celebrating. I'm not asking anyone to pretend anything at all. There can be a mini break and well wishing, or you are free to ignore the thread altogether. I just don't think each and every thread MUST be an argument.

And you guys are not being moderated. I just think certain threads should remain peaceful. Just like when there are "Happy Birthday" threads. If you have animosity with the person who has a birthday, I would expect the thread to be ignored as opposed as a place to tell them further what a shithead they are!

"There's a place and time for everything"

I'll reply then. Only out of respect for your wishes jimnyc. I am done with this thread.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Exactly, Tyr !

I get really fed up with declarations from Islamic sources which profess tolerance, yet when you look just a bit deeper do nothing of the sort. I don't see a great number of Christian churches springing up in Middle Eastern, pro-Islamic countries, but what I DO see is mosques being built by the hundreds in the West, with nobody saying a single word against them.

Oh, and what about the Ground Zero mosque ?? How receptive was the character to all the protests about it ? Did he show enough respect for the indignation, outrage, sheer pain, that the prospect of its construction aroused, not least from those bereaved following 9/11 ? NO .. his argument, as I recall, went along the lines that he had a DUTY to see to it that it was built.

A duty to his creed .. sure. A duty of CONTEMPT for anyone supplying opposition. Tolerance, it seems, is expected to flow in a single direction ...

Exactly, Islam has groups here dedicated to its protection and advancement! CAIR being number one I believe. Yet they threaten Savage with costly lawsuits for him exercising his right to free speech.
Islam has many millions here completely fooled and they'll spend any amount of money or do anything to keep it that way! They have bought many of our politicians with campaign contributions and are now starting to field their own political candidates ..-Tyr

Drummond
07-19-2012, 05:24 PM
No problem... If you want to start a thread on a specific topic, I can move posts from here over for you, and then you guys can go further into the topic? I think you make some decent and valid points, but I was just trying to respect Jafar's sentiment as I would a Christian on Christmas. :)

Noted, Jim .. fair enough.

The sort of points already made here may well be rehashed in future threads, when their context proves to be more specifically pertinent and more purpose-driven momentum may be natural for the discussion. As I say, I'm done here - as my own comments came about largely as reactions to what I was reading.

aboutime
07-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Exactly, Islam has groups here dedicated to its protection and advancement! CAIR being number one I believe. Yet they threaten Savage with costly lawsuits for him exercising his right to free speech.
Islam has many millions here completely fooled and they'll spend any amount of money or do anything to keep it that way! They have bought many of our politicians with campaign contributions and are now starting to field their own political candidates ..-Tyr

This may sound rather odd, and evoke thoughts of conspiracy junkies but. I actually am convinced that the Obama administration, with all of his self-appointed czar's are nothing but the groundwork, hidden in Obama's policies, that are based on the Obama version of CAIR.
His tactics are being used daily to incite fear, and threats to the very same people he claims to call "His People", better known by the Jesse Jackson Logo of "DISENFRANCHISED BLACK AMERICANS".

Obama and company use the same kind of threats we hear CAIR using, while they deny it being preached as part of that Peace Loving Religion called Muslim.
Like CAIR. Obama has established a deeply-seated, almost undetectable Underground of angry people who THREATEN Americans who happen to be Black, and Less Educated.
In fact. The Obama version of CAIR. Is what prolongs, and increases the anger that is Black on Black racism, drugs, and crime that prevents Black Americans from being seen as Good, Honorable people who WISH they could report the LAW BREAKERS...but are prevented from doing so...CALLED SNITCHING, RATTING, or SQUEELING, fearing they will be the next victims.
This is not the AMERICA Black Americans, or White Americans want.
But with Obama. This is what America is becoming.

Kathianne
07-19-2012, 05:32 PM
This may sound rather odd, and evoke thoughts of conspiracy junkies but. I actually am convinced that the Obama administration, with all of his self-appointed czar's are nothing but the groundwork, hidden in Obama's policies, that are based on the Obama version of CAIR.
His tactics are being used daily to incite fear, and threats to the very same people he claims to call "His People", better known by the Jesse Jackson Logo of "DISENFRANCHISED BLACK AMERICANS".

Obama and company use the same kind of threats we hear CAIR using, while they deny it being preached as part of that Peace Loving Religion called Muslim.
Like CAIR. Obama has established a deeply-seated, almost undetectable Underground of angry people who THREATEN Americans who happen to be Black, and Less Educated.
In fact. The Obama version of CAIR. Is what prolongs, and increases the anger that is Black on Black racism, drugs, and crime that prevents Black Americans from being seen as Good, Honorable people who WISH they could report the LAW BREAKERS...but are prevented from doing so...CALLED SNITCHING, RATTING, or SQUEELING, fearing they will be the next victims.
This is not the AMERICA Black Americans, or White Americans want.
But with Obama. This is what America is becoming.

I agree with your analysis. This is the most racially divisive president since Wilson.

aboutime
07-19-2012, 05:41 PM
I agree with your analysis. This is the most racially divisive president since Wilson.

Sadly, Kathianne. I have tried to state the very same things on other boards, and was labeled with nearly every, conceivable name possible by those who have been trained and even brainwashed into refusing to accept what I said.

Thankfully. At least some of us know, and recognize what is taking place. And for doing that. We have been labeled with all of the traditional, expected, low-life, mindless names those who deny can find.

Guess we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed for November. Not that much will change. But at least we'll still have a tiny chance to still call this place the U.S.A, and not the U.S.S. of A.

logroller
07-19-2012, 08:16 PM

?
Well might I point out that fasting during Ramadan is from dawn till sunset, not a day.

Mr. P
07-19-2012, 08:54 PM

Jim, just wondering, have your islamic friends wished you a Happy Ramadan?

darin
07-20-2012, 05:05 AM
it's like HighSchool sometimes folks.

If you don't celebrate or are offended, move the hell on from this thread. Easy-Peazy.

Cheers, Jafar - Peace to you!

aboutime
07-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Like high school? Really?

Okay. Merry Christmas jafar!

jafar00
07-20-2012, 03:54 PM

As you have noted in your quotes, Allah didn't intend on Ramadan being harmful. There are dispensations to delay your fast because of travel or sickness. Pregnant and nursing women also also exempt.

When fasting is combined with spiritual nurturing by reading the Qur'aan and prayer, it helps a lot. If you have a migraine from fasting, stop it and take some medicine so you can fast again when you are able.

The fast in Australia is just over 12 hours. I'm heading to Egypt next month where it is about 16 hours. 16 hours is also the recommended maximum time to fast. In countries where the summer day is longer or even where the sun doesn't set, the recommendation is to fast a maximum of 16 hours or follow Saudi Arabia's timing. Nobody suggests fasting for 24 hours, although I do believe the Jews have a day where they fast for 24 hours.

Can we take this to another thread? This is supposed to be a positive discussion.

Thank you! :bighug:

I thought I just did? ;)

it's like HighSchool sometimes folks.

If you don't celebrate or are offended, move the hell on from this thread. Easy-Peazy.

Cheers, Jafar - Peace to you!

And peace be upon you dmp!

Like high school? Really?

Okay. Merry Christmas jafar!

Happy Hanukkah :banana:

jimnyc
07-20-2012, 04:15 PM

Not in the same manner that we would wish one another Merry Christmas, as they know I'm not Muslim, but they did ask me if I were interested in fasting with them, and then coming by for a feast at sundown. They are fasting from 4:30am here until 8:23pm. No way in hell I could go that long without drinking or eating anything! I'll probably swing by for some free food though!

When I was still a heavy smoker, I would swing by Karim's place every night when the sun went down and have that first smoke of the day with him. And sometimes I would bring him a bite to eat or a dessert.

This does nothing to change the ills I have pointed out from around the world in the Islamic community. Nor does it make me a fan of the religion. I just think it means it's possible to be friends with those of a different faith, and respect one another. The women either don't like me or aren't allowed to talk to me though. Wives, sisters & kids - none of them speak to me. I don't know if it's because I'm not Muslim, or not family.

gabosaurus
07-20-2012, 05:28 PM
http://nicefun.net/userpix1/13594_Ramadan_Greetings_Cards_NiceFun_3_1.jpg

Ramadan Mubarak. Kul 'am wa enta bi-khair.

And may each of our Gods have mercy on and sympathy for the ignorant and weak minded who fail to understand the beliefs of others. For it is they who will be denied the Kingdom of Heaven.

Thunderknuckles
07-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Which "Gods" are you referring to?

gabosaurus
07-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Whatever God it is that you worship. Whether it be the Christian God, Muslim God, Buddhist God or Hindu deity.

red state
07-20-2012, 06:46 PM

RIGHT on target friend! I can tolerate muSLUMs starving for an indefinite period of time if they so choose to do so. Starving oneself is suppose to cleanse the soul and in such a case of muSLUMs starving themselves indefinitely, it would definitely cleanse the world of 99.9% of terrorism.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-20-2012, 07:51 PM
Whatever God it is that you worship. Whether it be the Christian God, Muslim God, Buddhist God or Hindu deity.

So God equality is another of your magnificent traits??
Or is that just another empty gesture from you?
I seriously doubt that you believe in any God but you would side with the muslim God because Islam is so peaceful, right?...-Tyr

Kathianne
07-20-2012, 11:20 PM
I wish all my friends, family, neighbors, students, and customers a Merry Christmas. I also wish them a nice Easter or Thanksgiving. A couple weeks ago it was Happy 4th or Memorial Day. Soon it will be Labor Day. I never miss St. Patrick's Day.

When someone wishes me a Happy Ramadan, I'll say, "Thank you, same to you." When I got Rosh Hashanah, or Passover Greetings, I returned them. My ex is Jewish, so it happened more frequently than one would expect of an Irish Catholic girl. LOL! With greetings like the above, civility really is the rule, unless they are given with a sneer. That's never happened to me.

gabosaurus
07-20-2012, 11:44 PM
So God equality is another of your magnificent traits??
Or is that just another empty gesture from you?
I seriously doubt that you believe in any God but you would side with the muslim God because Islam is so peaceful, right?...-Tyr

I grew up without God in my home. I lived an admittedly sinful life for many years. When I was in college, some friends took me to church. I discovered a different way of life, accepted God in my heart and gave my life to him.
When God stated "I am the God of all people," I believed him. Over the many times I have read that verse, I have never noticed the word "except" anyplace.
Jesus died on the cross to atone mankind of its sins. But you have to acknowledge them. You have to go to Him with purity in your heart and without hatred and malice toward your fellow man.
Those who live wicked and evil lives will spend eternity along side those who wish wickedness and evil toward others. And it won't be in a pleasant place.

jafar00
07-21-2012, 08:34 PM

There is only one God :)